PDA

View Full Version : Disneyworld Haters!!! Aghh!

Ksmith75
05-07-2009, 01:40 PM
I just got back from a wonderful trip with my husband from Disney (We are in our early 30s). Had a great time, had a great time the last 3 years.

Is anyone sick of hearing people complain about your vacation??? People at work make their little comments, and when a new employee asked me if I had kids and I said no, they all laughed. Someone said, "geez see the world, dont always go to Disney". They even made comments about the Disney candy I brought back for everyone in the office. "Dont you get bored", "Oh I hate crowds, what a waste of time and money", "It is stupid to have a vacation planned out each day like that to avoid crowds".

That is what I have been hearing the past couple of days....aghhhhh

I got to the point where i said "It is my and my husbands vacation, our money, and what we want to do!"

I guess people that dont go have no idea. Disney is fun, educational and FUN! I feel so happy and carefree when I am there. We get to act like kids and go on our favorite rides (love the new Toy Story)....

Just had to vent.....

crltkcagle
05-07-2009, 01:46 PM
They just don't understand, their not like us Disney crazed fans who would live there if we could. Some people just don't get the magic. Just ignore them. Most people I know tell me they are jealous that we get to go to Disney so much.

prttynpnk
05-07-2009, 01:49 PM
After most people say 'AGAIN?' they roll their eyes like my husband and I are part of a cult or something. Oh, well ,it's sad that they can't enjoy it too, but at least I never run into my co-workers on vacation! ;)

Goofeygal
05-07-2009, 01:57 PM
I get the same exact reaction from people "Don't you get tired of Disney" I just laugh at them now. It's like how can you ever get tired of Disney.:mickey::thumbsup:

Leighler
05-07-2009, 02:00 PM
woohoo- glad they don't like it b/c there is more room for all of us there!! Sorry you have to listen to them though.

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
05-07-2009, 02:02 PM
We actually find it "funny" when people roll their eyes and say "WDW AGAIN?!" We have heard every negative comment you have spoken about. To us it's kinda like a private joke and our own little secret. We get the magic and they NEVER will. We see it as a gift to be able to experience the magic, fun and the belongingness(ya know what we mean):mickey: of WDW.
The friends who truly know us... they KNOW we belong at WDW.
We will never grow up when we go to WDW. It is the one and only place we can be kids again and have no fear, anxiety, "bad stuff', and be safe from the "world" at. We will forever choose WDW as our second home. So let them heckle us and tease. We don't care because behind our smiles we have a very special secret. THE MAGIC OF WALT DISNEY LIVES IN US!!
Dawn,Denise&Diane:wave::wave::wave:

diz_girl
05-07-2009, 02:02 PM
You could always tell them that you don't give a critical opinion of their vacation choices, so you would appreciate if they wouldn't do it for your vacations. That might be tough to do, but saying "that's how we like to spend our money and time" won't stop them, so maybe calling them on their rudeness will.

sainter
05-07-2009, 02:13 PM
I think what is SO FUNNY, is the people that say those things to us either:

1. Have never been there!!!!
2. Went once during 4th of July week when it was 98 degrees in the shade with no plan, and no reservations so they spent the whole time trying to figure out where they were or where they were going.
3. Go to the same cottage on the same lake every year for the last 25 years.

But thank goodness for these people!! If they all "got it" there would be no room for any of us in "the World"!! :thumbsup:

vicster
05-07-2009, 02:13 PM
We get that from my SIL - why don't you go somewhere else for a change? Why do people care? My SIL goes to Vegas four times a year. I asked her why she doesn't go anywhere else. I said at least I'm not losing money gambling in Vegas. My kids are grown so now it's just my husband and myself and we have a great time. There's always something to do at WDW and if you get bored there you have a problem. When other people want to start paying for my vacation then they can choose where I go.

Unless you're a Disney fanatic you just don't get it.

Itchy
05-07-2009, 02:15 PM
You know I really dont care if others think that I am crazy because I go to WDW so often.

One of my co-workers asked me why I went to disney world so often. I simply stated to relax and have fun.

Well to make a long story short he decided to go last fall and attend MMSSHP. WELL!

He and his family are now hooked..

Its like trying to eat something new.. Try it you will like it. If not just shut up about it.:mickey:

#1donaldfan
05-07-2009, 02:18 PM
woohoo- glad they don't like it b/c there is more room for all of us there!! Sorry you have to listen to them though.

..my thoughts exactly.....I only wish a few more didn't like it....the less I stand in line the better for me and mine !!!! Don't listen to 'em they are the "crazy" ones...RIGHT ??:cool:

Pally
05-07-2009, 02:18 PM
I hear yah! Same stuff I have heard repeatedly. Also, "How can you spend that kind of money for 1-2 weeks? You are crazy." I just chuckle to myself.

egospotter
05-07-2009, 02:19 PM
They are just jealous.

People who haven't been there and say those things don't realize that there is no other place in the world where you will get soooo much vacation all in one place. Especially beyond the parks.

People who have been there but still say those things didn't know what they were doing, went at a bad time and didn't get the best out of there vacations.

People need to learn to keep their negative comments to themselves. They can feel however they want, but they don't have to share and try to make people feel bad for the decisions that they make for themselves. So childish!

The people around me have come to accept that Disney is part of who I am, it makes me happy and that is where I am going to go every year if I can. And yes, they are all jealous. :thumbsup:

Dsnygirl
05-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Luckily, I work with a bunch of crazed, Disney-aholics too, so those who choose to laugh at us know that they risk quite a strong reaction if they are rude about it. ;) But mostly, we just laugh and it gets us going, talking about how great it is... and then they're forced to sit there & listen to us go on & on about how and why we love it. :D

Some people honestly don't get it, and want to seriously know why we go back so much... esp. since they know my DH and I love to travel, and that there are many places we would love to see. I just explain to them that while our girls are old enough to really love and "get" Disney, we'll be going there as often as we can, because we know there will come a day when we can't travel with them as much, or they won't necessarily want to go to Disney again... and once that happens, we'll enjoy some of the other places we'd like to see. Granted, my DH and I have travelled to Disney on our own, w/o the girls, and it was wonderful... I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't... and that gets some "???" from non-Disney folks especially. But when they see the pictures and how much fun we were having, and they can tell by how much we love telling stories about the trip... they do start to understand, just a little.

I try to tell people that it's not necessarily just about the place -- it's about who you are while you're there, how it makes you feel, whether or not it becomes "home" to you -- and if they have a special place like that themselves, they begin to see. :)

caryrae
05-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Is it just me or does this seem to happen more with those of us that go to WDW several times? Wonder if these people would complain if you went to like Cancun every year or Hawaii instead of Disney.

candleshoe
05-07-2009, 02:27 PM
There are those that get it and those that don't, plain and simple. We met some friends in WDW a few years ago. They were down there on a conference and joined us for the day. They were bored in the MK after a few hours. Go figure.
I'll never understand it, but it's a "cult" I'm happy to be a part of! My rationale is, I work hard and my wife and I get 2 weeks out of the whole year to vacation. We are guaranteed a great time in WDW. Why take a chance someplace else only to regret it and think, "we should have gone to Disney!"

ransam
05-07-2009, 02:32 PM
I get tons of comments from my co-workers and friends… most of them are not negative, just wondering why I don’t try something different, or why I spend so much money when I don’t have it. I’m ok w/ their opinions. They want to go camping, cool. They want to go visit Mexico, send me pictures. Everyone is different. I want to go to Disney, that’s just me. Most of my friends are cool w/ that, and on birthdays and celebrations, I get a lot of Disney stuff…so while they may not understand it, they do support my Disney addiction. What’s funny is that a few of my friends have recently made their first Disney trip and came back amazed how much fun they had. They always say they had no idea how cool it was, how much there was to do, and how it was nothing like they had expected. I don’t think I have ever talked to someone who actually went to Disneyworld and didn’t like it. I think people who haven’t been there, think of Disneyworld as just the a single park w/ a bunch of silly rides and a castle. I don’t think they realize there are 4 separate parks and how much is in those parks… I don’t think they realize you can play golf, go boating, camping, drive a race car, parasailing, etc. you can do that… they don’t know how much Disney has to offer…
You can make your Disney vacation anything you want. That’s the magic of Disneyworld. You want fast paced, non stop seeing attractions, you can do that. You want a nice relaxing few days, take your time, you can do that. Want a golfing trip, they have a few courses that are some of the best around. Want to go w/ your buddies and watch sports, they have a whole World of Sports. Want a nice romantic time w/ your significant other, you can do that…and yes, if you want to be a kid and just go on silly rides and forget the fact that you’re a grown adult w/ a job and responsibilities, Disney can offer that too. It’s your vacation, make it what you want. That’s all part of the Disney experience…..

Ksmith75
05-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Exactly - you are guaranteed a good time when you go!!!!
Thanks for all the support.....the great thing is I didnt even elaborate about my vacation - so no one but like 2 people got to hear my wonderful disney stories...so they are missing out.

The negitive ones will never feel the :mickey: Magic :mickey:, they are too busy being cynical anyway....

hardingella
05-07-2009, 02:38 PM
I know exactly how you feel.I gave up a long time ago trying to make people understand what a magical place we go to. Why am i trying to convince them, its not as if i want to come with me(god forbid!).
Its our piece of heaven:secret:, and the non-believers can sit on the beach and fry.:mickey:

BluewaterBrad
05-07-2009, 02:48 PM
I let them laugh and roll their eyes. I am the one who is really enjoying life!! As far as the Vegas lovers go...............trust me they can have it!!:mickey:

LovinWDW
05-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Our family hears the same thing all the time too. It really just rolls off my back any more. I have learned something over the past 6 years of going to WDW. People who hate WDW have a few things in common, 1. Some of them have never visited WDW 2. Of the ones who did visit, they did so without PLANNING. and 3. Also, if they did visit, they slept in every day and then wondered why they had to wait in such long lines.

Lets face it, this is the one trip you really need to plan for. That's half the fun in our house!:thumbsup:

g8rgirl29
05-07-2009, 02:49 PM
We get the "You're going there again??????? When are you going to stop??????" I just smile and say Yep, for as long and as often as we can go!! I really don't get the people that don't like Disney, how can you not find something there to like???? But am I rude enough to voice that, No!!
I would rather give up little outings throughout the year and scrimp and save to go there because it is something we do as a family that all of us enjoy from start to finish!! How many vacations can you say that about?? When I bought a new outfit the other day, my DD 5 asked me if I was wasting Disney money on that!! It totally cracked me up!!

EeyoresBestFriend
05-07-2009, 02:49 PM
We actually find it "funny" when people roll their eyes and say "WDW AGAIN?!" We have heard every negative comment you have spoken about. To us it's kinda like a private joke and our own little secret. We get the magic and they NEVER will. We see it as a gift to be able to experience the magic, fun and the belongingness(ya know what we mean):mickey: of WDW.
The friends who truly know us... they KNOW we belong at WDW.
We will never grow up when we go to WDW. It is the one and only place we can be kids again and have no fear, anxiety, "bad stuff', and be safe from the "world" at. We will forever choose WDW as our second home. So let them heckle us and tease. We don't care because behind our smiles we have a very special secret. THE MAGIC OF WALT DISNEY LIVES IN US!!

:thumbsup: There is just the two of us and we are in our Mid 40's and that is EXACTLY how DH and I feel . . . .
All our friends go to Vegas and we hear alot of "why don't you go on grown up vacations?"
I figure the answer is in the question . . . .we do not want to be grownups on vacation! :cloud9:

GrumpyFan
05-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Here's the deal. Most people see WDW and the parks as JUST a bunch of rides and shows. When they go, they go with the single minded focus of riding as many of those rides as possible, and maybe buying a few (obligatory) souvenirs, just so they can say they did it. However, as we know, there is way more to WDW than just a bunch of rides. It's about a magical feeling of being able to shut out the rest of the world for a few days and live inside a fantasy of fun and enjoyment unlike anywhere else. It's almost utopian.

I must admit, I was once on the other side. I was one of those who looked at people who went to WDW every year and scratched my head in wonder as to what it was they saw. Then, I actually experienced it for myself. Not on the first trip mind you, but after. Upon the return of our first trip (just DW and I), we decided that we would return and bring the kids. The planning leading up to the second trip is what got me hooked. I discovered that there was a lot more to WDW that we didn't see, and it made me/us want to go back and see more.

Ryan Towle
05-07-2009, 03:24 PM
Everyone I know likes Disney World, so I've never had this problem.

bretski99
05-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Well, you know what they say about opinions: "they are like (fill in the blank) -everybody's got one."

Being that I'm a bit of a smart aleck, I would have said something like "are you the vacation police today? Because I didn't realize there were any laws about that, so please enlighten me......". It usually shuts people up.:thedolls::thedolls: Or something like "Just because you don't look good in mouse ears doesn't mean you have to be hater".

Seriously though, we have always taken our kids, but honestly I could go there 'sans kids' and have just as good a time. Everyone just lets you be who you are, and there are plenty of adult activities down there if you need to escape from "disney overload".

Besides, where else can can a middle aged, slightly balding man wear mickey mouse ears and get no weird looks? :mickey:

playdead88
05-07-2009, 03:30 PM
seriously!! i am so sick of people at work - when they say "you're kidding are you really going again" or "do you go anywhere else" and its always from the folks that head to the beach for a week every year - where they rent a house that they have to bring towels and sheets to - not to mention they cook meals and clean the kitchen daily - they can have their beach week - im going to disney where the towels are always clean by the lovely pool and mousekeeping leaves me wash cloths in the shape of cute little animals :cloud9: - AND there are no mickey waffles at the beach!!

2 more weeks to go!!! :mickey:

caryrae
05-07-2009, 03:36 PM
One reason I love WDW is how much there is to do within however many square miles the property is.

Man, you can go Golfing, Horseback Riding, Hayrides, Boating, Fishing, Parasailing, lots of shopping, Waterparks, Tennis, Spas, Drive a Race Car, Great Dining Options, Waterskiing, Wide World of Sports and whatever else I am missing all in one area. Then there's the Parks, different themed Resorts, and DTD.

Where else can you have all this within minutes of each other.

Mushu11756
05-07-2009, 03:37 PM
I hate to say it but we are all a different breed than the Disney Hater's! My DW and I love going with or without the kids! We count down the days like kids looking forward to Christmas! We love the whole build up to the trip from planning to booking and we are never let down when we get there!:thumbsup:

Mousemates
05-07-2009, 04:16 PM
3. Go to the same cottage on the same lake every year for the last 25 years.

Exactly...I know lots of folks who will look at us like we're crazy because we're going to WDW again and yet they do the same old thing, the same old time every year at places like Myrtle Beach, Gatlinburg or Daytona.

brownie
05-07-2009, 04:17 PM
My bride would probably like to go to some other places, but I'm happy just visiting Walt Disney World.

AdventurerKim
05-07-2009, 04:18 PM
No one criticizes us anymore for going to WDW often and that we don't have kids. Now we mostly get asked, "When are you going to Disney?" since that is a definite with us.

When I do hear criticisms, I just shrug it up and think about how much fun the next trip will be! 36 days and counting! :mickey:

AmandaChan
05-07-2009, 04:20 PM
I've gotten a bit of that from co-workers myself. Most of the time they are supportive, however. DH and I are in our mid twenties and this is our fourth year in a row going, without kids. I always tell people that WDW is an EASY vacation and we always have so much fun. I remember someone once saying that they would rather go to a beach and lay around and drink.. This person has kids, and what I explained to her is, that is all DH and I do (we don't drink all the time though). We lay around at home and watch TV. For someone that does not have the excitement and work of having a kid -- laying around on vacation does not seem like the most appealing thing.

I remember an older couple (80s, easy) that DH and I met in line at Blizzard Beach and they said they have seasonal passes and come a couple times a month without any grandchildren. And what in the heck is wrong with that??

c&d
05-07-2009, 04:20 PM
I sometimes get that response. I now come back with. There are people who rent the same house every year at the beach, do you make comments to them on how they go to the same place every year?

AmandaChan
05-07-2009, 04:22 PM
No one criticizes us anymore for going to WDW often and that we don't have kids. Now we mostly get asked, "When are you going to Disney?" since that is a definite with us.

When I do hear criticisms, I just shrug it up and think about how much fun the next trip will be! 36 days and counting! :mickey:

An ex-coworker online asked me if a Disney trip was in order for our anniversary this year. She didn't know that we were going yet. I guess she knew me good enough!

AmandaChan
05-07-2009, 04:23 PM
I sometimes get that response. I now come back with. There are people who rent the same house every year at the beach, do you make comments to them on how they go to the same place every year?

And half the time it isn't even at the greatest beach. I mean (no offense to those who have one) who would want to go to Myrtle Beach every year instead of Disney? It's practically the same price.

AmandaChan
05-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Exactly...I know lots of folks who will look at us like we're crazy because we're going to WDW again and yet they do the same old thing, the same old time every year at places like Myrtle Beach, Gatlinburg or Daytona.

Gatlinburg... ohhhhh the great southwestern Ohio vacation spot! I've been there so many times in my childhood I know that place by heart. The people that go there every year are the ones that give us a hard time!

MarkC
05-07-2009, 04:42 PM
To those naysayers, I say "ignorance is bliss". Most people have no idea what WDW is like. They picture the MK and Its a Small World, etc. Fortunately I have a few friends at the office who are also addicts like the rest of us. When we start to share stories about all we've done, or share photos of everything, they begin to understand.

And like another poster pointed out, there is some jealousy involved as well. My dear mother (Happy Mothers Day Mom!!) still tells me......"who cares what other people think". So to you fellow addicts I say-- more power to us!!! I'll keep going as long as I can.

DANAM
05-07-2009, 06:28 PM
To those naysayers, I say "ignorance is bliss". Most people have no idea what WDW is like. They picture the MK and Its a Small World, etc. Fortunately I have a few friends at the office who are also addicts like the rest of us. When we start to share stories about all we've done, or share photos of everything, they begin to understand.

And like another poster pointed out, there is some jealousy involved as well. My dear mother (Happy Mothers Day Mom!!) still tells me......"who cares what other people think". So to you fellow addicts I say-- more power to us!!! I'll keep going as long as I can.

:ditto:

PixieMagic
05-07-2009, 06:50 PM
I just laugh it off and say "I'm a Disney freak! Really, I love every second of it and the feeling I have when I am there. If I could, I would live in Orlando and work there...Ahhhh ... someday" and they usually laugh with me and nothing more is said! :cloud9:

MickeyMousse
05-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Oh, never mind them, they're just jealous. :D

GoofyforFun
05-07-2009, 08:18 PM
I believe its just B/C it is futher away than the "local" thing they do year after year. We go to NJ beach alot Sort of the same thing year after year but we enjoy it. I would love to go to WDW every year but with 3 kids and life on a budget. we save and get excited when we go.

WDW_Obsessed
05-07-2009, 08:46 PM
My DH and I get this too. As if you can't enjoy Disney without kids...that's just crazy to me! :shake:

mickeys_princess_mom
05-07-2009, 08:52 PM
We had plenty of them at our school, but we've "converted" many of them!:mickey:
Just2Mickey and I just wear 'em down!
I was thinking about it the other day, and pretty much everybody in my building has gone in the past couple of years, and we planned half their trips!
:thumbsup:

goofysbabe
05-07-2009, 09:23 PM
I know how you feel - I get it all the time! Every time something about Disney hits the news they are on me about it. When they come back to me desk to ask questions and hear my music playing (Live365 - Mouseworld) they make a comment, I have pictures of my family at WDW at my desk, they comment on them. My computer went haywire earlier this year and my boss blamed it on the Disney music I listen to (I knew he was kidding, but I get tired of hearing it) I just wish they stop being Disney haters and listen to those who love it - I listen to them about their vacations and I just comment on how nice they sound - not Oh Gosh you went there- how could you have a good time!!!

sweetsavannah
05-07-2009, 09:24 PM
It's funny I saw this thread, I actually got the "again???" thing today at work with the eye-roll. Just got back from our first trip last week and I can't wait to start planning for next year. When people say things like, "Oh, you don't want to go there EVERY year..." I say, "Yeah, I do!" There was sooo much to do for kids of all ages and adults as well. Now that we've been there once and have a handle on how things work, with transportation and park lay-outs and the resort...subsequent trips should be EVEN BETTER! So like everyone else says, just tune 'em out. Do what YOU want, who cares what they think!!!:mickey:

PETE FROM NYC
05-07-2009, 10:25 PM
My brother and his DW used to be like that.Until they took their DD there at 4 yrs old.Now they have been back a total of 3 X.
I wish I could afford WDW more often,but we are both retired now so the cash just don't flow like it used to.Every 2-3 years will suffice.
We also have a few non-Disney interests,like our 29' sport fishing boat where we spend most of our summers,cruising and fishing.Comes the fall we head upstate NY for deer and turkey seasons. The rest of the time,shut up!I can't hear the TV.

Mickey91
05-07-2009, 11:43 PM
My mom does that to me sometimes. "You just went last September! Why do you need to go again?" I could say the same thing for her beach trips but I don't. Same ocean, different day!

Princess'Mom
05-08-2009, 12:36 PM
I love this thread!
My DH isn't totally hooked on WDW vacations. He goes with us, he is a good sport but he grumbles quite a bit. So, this year, I planned a trip to WDW for DD and myself. I was just about ready to purchase our plane tickets when he says to me "I told you I would go too!" Arrgh! I had to change the entire trip to include him. My guess is that he isn't a hater - and maybe a closet WDW crazy too! :D

forever a child
05-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Here's the funny thing. I have been busy with school for the last 3 years but now that I am finishing up and getting back to work, DD and I are ready for a Disney trip again.:cloud9:

Being divorced, I have not been dating while working on my masters. But now I am considering venturing back into the dating pool as well and I want to make sure that whoever I could end up with knows that "I love to go to WDW" at least every once in a while. :fingers:

I don't collect the Disney souvenirs. So I seem like a bit of a closet WDW fan! No one would know by just looking at my home or stuff. But both DD and I have the bug. :bug:We love going together and being kids together. DD thinks it's funny that I love it as much or perhaps more than her!

I expect that I will go to WDW even after my daughter has left home. I like the magic that escapes all the problems of the outside world. I like to travel to other countries and places too :horse:but I dont see ever giving up on the "magic" either.:party2:

:mickey:

ASweetLov
05-09-2009, 01:40 PM
I get those facial expressions and comments from some co-workers too, but atleast I have a store manager that loves Disney as much as I do and we can spend hours talking about it and our love for it!!! His wife even plans the same way I do hehe.

I also live in a household that dont understand my love and passion for Disney! My sister has given me comments like "why dont you travel somewhere else". Now she likes Disney movies and stuff, I hope to take her to WDW next year so she can see what I love and I know she will get into the whole spirit of it!

jillluvsdisney
05-09-2009, 01:44 PM
I feel the same way about several of my co workers who make multiple trip to las Vegas every year. I keep my mouth shut becuase I have no room to talk. I go to Disney every year with my parents. Everyone's idea of a vacation is not the same.

Soul_Power
05-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Not to worry, many (if not all) of us on Intercot can definitely sympathize with you.
My BF and I get those comments from some of our family members and friends, and we only have one trip under our belts (our second trip is in December). Imagine what they'll be saying after we have taken multiple trips (which we plan on doing every other year)!
Oh well, they don't have to get it. As long as you and your family/significant other/friends have fun there, that's all that matters! Feel lucky that you know what the magic is all about! :mickey:

Daddy Mouse
05-10-2009, 09:10 AM
Coworkers know how DW and I feel about Disney. Some will say things that could be taken as snide comments. I just don't pay much attention. A couple of them have since taken their families and both had good times. Both seeked advice from me. Only one seemed to listen our take to heart the information and tips that I gave them.

Both came back with great memories. Others coworkers have now started thinking about taking their families. No more remarks, "pass the on your photo pass pictures."

Am I overboard? Yes
Do I care? No

amrntodd
05-10-2009, 11:47 AM
my friend just got back from WDW during springbreak. she said she would rather be camping. so she just didnt get the magic of the whole thing. she doent get why we keep going back. my whole family loves disney and were planning our 5th trip. we cant wait to go back. so its her loss if she didnt enjoy the most magical place on earth. :mickey:

LudwigVonDrake
05-10-2009, 12:06 PM
I just tune out the comments and continue to go where I know I'll enjoy myself and have a good time :mickey:

dtootsie42
05-10-2009, 03:05 PM
I try to tune out all the comments. I think a lot of time the people who are so critical have never gone themselves so they have no idea what it is all about. I have a harder time tuning out extended family but I'm getting better at doing that. :mickey:

Dec. 1997---Contemporary
Dec. 1999--Poly
June 2000--Disneyland
Dec. 2001---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2003---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2005---Poly Concierge
Nov. 2007---Poly Concierge
Oct. 2008--DisneyLand
Next trip Dec. 2009--Poly Concierge

bostomco
05-10-2009, 05:24 PM
We've been getting this lately too! I'm always reminded of the saying: "Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind." Disney has it all! Where else can you ride a roller coaster, go on a jungle cruise, ride down river rapids, lay by the pool with a drink in your hand :marg:, float down a lazy river, swim with the sharks, hang out with a bunch of characters, travel from Japan to Norway in mere footsteps, go shopping, experience diverse cusine, fly into space, rock out with aerosmith, see parades, and see fireworks all in the same day if you wanted to!?! Nowhere, but Disney! Don't let those silly people get you down!

PrettyMinnie
05-10-2009, 08:25 PM
I hate when people do that!! Or refuse to understand that maybe people enjoy different things! Oh well I love WDW :mickey:

i'm grumpy
05-10-2009, 10:01 PM
After most people say 'AGAIN?' they roll their eyes like my husband and I are part of a cult or something. Oh, well ,it's sad that they can't enjoy it too, but at least I never run into my co-workers on vacation! ;)

We'd get that too from people who went to Vegas every year. :D I guess you don't.

dmosher
05-11-2009, 02:45 AM
We do get the " there again" comments on occasion, but at this point people just assume that is where we are going. If we ever did decide to go any place else I think THEN they would be really confused! hehe

In the end I believe that people who can not understand the attraction to Disney often have forgotten that childhood magic that we as Disney Nuts try to hold onto so much. There is nothing wrong with these people and they are just like you I. maybe they do take themselves too seriously and maybe not. Maybe they have other ways of capturing that magic, who knows...? Personally I do enjoy bringing someone over to the dark-side (just ask DW) of Disney appreciation, but if they can not be converted I just smile and chalk it up to one less person in front of me in the Peter Pan que.
:pipes:
D

Tigger&Stitch
05-11-2009, 03:53 AM
This post is well-timed! I just saw an article on another site (MousePlanet) entitled "Why We Go Back".

Since we live overseas now, we don't get that question a lot as (1) many people here would love to go to Disney World, (2) we are well-travelled, and (3) we warned our friends/family that we would only return to go to WDW after we moved.

Everyone has their idea of an ideal vacation. And many people return to the same places over and over again. I guess they think their vacation spot is better than WDW? In any case, let them laugh, and ask them about their vacation destination. Ask why they go back time and time again.

For me, Disney is the place where I can let go of daily life and just have fun and be silly. Yes, Europe is gorgeous, but the translation to another currency is an issue, as is the language barrier, pick-pockets etc. I've enjoyed my trips there, but they are not in the same category as WDW.

I've never been one for an island/beach vacation because I think I could only handle about 1 or 2 days of sitting around. Then what?!

I've been to quite a few places, and the only other trip that I loved more than WDW was when I travelled to NZ for the first time (so I moved here!).

To each his own. If everyone in the country/world vacationed in the same places, they would no longer be enjoyable. If others don't understand, then they don't. It's best that they don't come to our favorite place and ruin it for the those of us who love it in the World. :mickey:

drummerboy
05-11-2009, 07:27 AM
I mean (no offense to those who have one) who would want to go to Myrtle Beach every year instead of Disney? It's practically the same price.
Myrtle Beach is about an hour south of us. DW and I take the camper there often for three- or four-day weekends when we just want to laze around, but when we want a fun vacation, with or without the (grandkids now), it's WDW for sure.

dnickels
05-11-2009, 04:58 PM
I've always found that if what other people think of my vacation plans is bothering me then I'm probably a little too concerned about trying to gain approval from others when I just need to focus on what makes me happy.

Plus we have to remember, for every non-Disney person who rolls their eyes at another Disney vacation, there's a Disney person out there who thinks the same thing about another camping trip to Yellowstone. (I don't think any of us will admit it, but our sig lines would seem to indicate otherwise)

We can't control what other people think, so why worry about it. Just find what makes you happy and do that. :thumbsup:

darthmacho
05-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Please! I know dozens of people who go to WDW yearly, many that go every few years, and even a few who go more than once a year. Some have kids, but by far the most enthusiastic visitors are couples without kids or kids that are grown. I love my kids, but I'd much rather go to WDW with just my wife, because it is a wonderful place to experience with one other person for a variety of reasons.

I WISH I could be so lucky. If you want to go there for every vacation, and can afford it, good for you. WDW is like several vacations rolled into one. Sure it's commercialized, crowded, and often hot, but who cares? I LOVE planning anyway, and most popular vacations spots are crowded anyway.

I love my New England vacations, and encourage anyone to see the world as well, but I never would insult someone who loves the fantasy of WDW so much that they just can't stay away.

In fact, I'm even a little jealous. :D

Enjoy your next WDW vacation!

Stitchahula
05-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Ok here's a thought. For every negative comment about your disney vacation you put a dollar into a vacation jar for your next trip to disney. Who knows you might end up with some extra spending money and then instead of getting upset by the comments it will become a joke.:thumbsup: Also those that are criticizing you are now contributing in a way.

Marilyn Michetti
05-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Oh, PLEASE ! We're Sr. citizens, and go to WDW almost every early Dec. Our DD ALWAYS make us feel like we're doing something dirty. If I had anyone else I trusted with my mom and my dog, we would "sneak" away, not telling anyone we're going anywhere.

My argument, (not that we need one), is that I can't walk, so hiking , snorkling, or camping is kind of out. We don't drink, gamble, or get excited about sitting on a ship, so why not do what we enjoy without guilt? Even Hawaii sounds boring to me.

RIGHT, that's what we're going to do, so nobody tip the kid off.:scared:

Gooftroop5
05-12-2009, 07:56 AM
My in-laws are the ones that have the problem. Well mostly bil he has never been to disney but he hates it. :confused: Of course part of the problem is his step sons start whining about going. I think his wife does too. He is no fun anyways & only has money for what he wants to do. He tries very hard not to do anything with that with his family. They don't go on vacations at all.

Fil use to be as bad but I think if fil & mil health was a little better they both would really like to go with the grandkids. He has not said anything about us going. I would take both of them but with 3 young kids I can't take care of them & mil. Fil also just had knee replacement.

I never had any problem when I worked. Most people were trying to figure out how to join us. All of my kids teachers want to go with us too. (not that this trip we are taking them out of school) Even at my ds#1 teacher conference the teacher aide was telling me how her dh was convincing her they could afford to go with the deal & airlines.

Daddy Mouse
05-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Now on the other hand DW and I went to the Bahamas for a week. I hated it. The only thing I enjoyed was the food, rum and haggling with merchants. I can swim snorkel etc... to several other places. DW loved it and would go back in a heartbeat. I went to explore the island one day and was confronted by a platoon of heavily armed men who told me to go back to my hotel because it wasn’t safe off of the strip.

My point is, to each his own. Many people love the Bahamas including my wife, and I’m a Bahamas Hater.

vicster
05-12-2009, 10:47 AM
I went to explore the island one day and was confronted by a platoon of heavily armed men who told me to go back to my hotel because it wasn’t safe off of the strip.

I found the same thing in Jamaica - too dangerous. You cannot roam the island by yourself because it's not safe.

2lilboys
05-12-2009, 11:05 AM
We got many comments when we decided to go to Disney for our honeymoon. Lots of people said, "Why don't you go somewhere more exciting than Disney/Florida?" But there was really no other place we considered spending our honeymoon. We ignored everyone's comments and spent 10 fabulous days at Poly! :cloud9:

My twin boys are not 3 yet and we are already planning their 3rd trip to Disney for this November.:mickey: My only fear is that one day when they are grown up, they will say "Mom, can we go to the beach this year instead of Disney.":(

4ubie1
05-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Many of my friends (and even my family) laugh and make fun of me for loving WDW so much. BUT as soon as I get them down there, their tune changes completely. They are just as giddy and excited as I am. I find that most who make fun are those who have never really gone. SO I just laugh along side them and think " you are the ones missing out..which is fine 'cause that means more WDW for me!" :D

Stu29573
05-12-2009, 11:24 AM
It took me a while to get my wife to go for our belated honeymoon, but now she's looking forward to it! :mickey: We're planning on going somewhere else for the summer of '10, but after she sees WDW...well. we'll see....;)

Goes4FastPass
05-12-2009, 11:42 AM
I don't hurt myself trying to change anti-WDW people's minds - the place is already crowded enough.

I was talking with my grandson's other grandad and when I said "Disney World" he said, "I took my kids when they were little and brother, you can have the place!" Great, I thought, guess I'm the grandpa who's going to skip down Main Street with the grand son.

Besides, I find Disney fan-zombies to be just as annoying...
Must be Disney
Only Disney
Only Disney has magic
3 months and 17 days since my last Disney
4 months and 11 minutes 'til my next Disney
Nowhere but Disney

WDWFRK
05-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Try explaining to people why you and your husband went by yourselves, and---GASP!---left your 8 year old DD at home!:mickey:

syndrome
05-12-2009, 01:59 PM
We do not really understand this mentality either. We enjoy cruises, beach trips and of course we love our Disney vacations. It really is a special place and some people just do not get it. It is their loss.

Belster
05-12-2009, 02:23 PM
I too get comments from some of my kids friends mothers. They will say didn't you guys just go there...or don't you want to try somethings new. My response...sure we are trying a new resort this time.

They either don't get it or are jealous that their families/husbands wont go at all.

CaptainSad
05-13-2009, 09:08 AM
I am starting to get this reaction from my wife. We have been to WDW many times and always enjoyed it. She keeps saying we should do other places like Ireland or some other country. For me I have no desire to visit another country. I have been to Japan when I was very young and could not stand the place. Don't get me wrong we do vacation in other areas of the country. I just don't want to go overseas.

caryrae
05-13-2009, 09:16 AM
I am starting to get this reaction from my wife. We have been to WDW many times and always enjoyed it. She keeps saying we should do other places like Ireland or some other country. For me I have no desire to visit another country. I have been to Japan when I was very young and could not stand the place. Don't get me wrong we do vacation in other areas of the country. I just don't want to go overseas.

What, World Showcase doesn't count as going to other Countries?:)

disneycharm
05-13-2009, 02:34 PM
This is so funny! Just the other day my co-workers were complaining about me going to Disney AGAIN. They said the same thing "There is a big world out there besides Disney". Actually, two years ago I took the kids to DC and Williamsburg, and even though we had a great vacation, I couldn't stop thinking about Disney! I can't wait till we go back in August with free dining:thumbsup:

vicster
05-13-2009, 02:43 PM
A friend of a friend who lives in Florida told me there's more to Florida than Disney. I had to set her straight!!!

minnie04
05-14-2009, 11:58 AM
I know its probably been said 100 times in all the replies to this post, BUT there is no better feeling in the world to get closer to the gates and just let all your problems fade away for the time you are there, there is just something about Disney that makes EVERYTHING go away, bills, stress,etc. etc. Yes I get it all the time "why again" "money" blah blah blah..... its were my family and i have the best times... just being together. So to the people that "don't get it" kepp your gripes to your self. Yes, you can travel the world and see many great places. We have too, but theres no place like home and for us and thats DISNEY!!!!

SO BACK OFF!!! and let us have our vacations with out the rolling of the eyes, jokes & comments...:mickey:

Have a nice day!!!!

DisneyOtaku
05-14-2009, 12:38 PM
My friends were like that for a while. Every now and then, when I've been away too long, I go into Crazy-Disney-Planning mode. One year, I had that mode on, and I took two of my friends there during Christmas 2008.

Now? We're in the middle of planning a big trip with around 5-7 of us, staying at the Poly for five days because the trip made THAT much of an impact on them that we converted others. It's going to be awesome :mickey::number1::thumbsup:

barbiegirl314
05-14-2009, 02:38 PM
I can't tell you how good I feel after reading all these posts. My family and I usually go to WDW about every 18-24 months and I've started feeling embarrassed :blush: when people would say "Disney again!" I never understood why people cared so much what I did with my money or vacation time. :confused:

Every time we go we have a fantastic time and experience something totally new. With all the times we've been to WDW there are still things we haven't done yet (DH is dying to try out the place where you get to drive a real race car on the track).

We just got back this past weekend and already started talking about our next trip (hopefully Oct 2010 for MNSSHP).:mickey:

I feel good knowing that I am in the company of other WDW lovers.

Hull-onian
05-14-2009, 03:45 PM
:ditto: to the above posts.

Tinkerbella16
05-14-2009, 04:15 PM
Have gotten the looks and questions plenty of times. I don't say anything to anyone else about where they go or what they enjoy. WDW is like my home away from home, and I have been going since I was 6 years old. I love it there...it is what I was I was brought up around. I wouldn't want to spend my time laying on a beach, drinking and eating for a week when I can do that, and have TONS of fun and so much more at WDW! The people in my office never say anything, they actually think its kinda cool that I go every year and my whole love for wdw.

That is why we are all on intercot, because we all share the same love for WDW, and we can all relate to one another! I don't pay people any mind when they question me. I come on here for info and to give info, and share my experiences at WDW with all of you. Thats all that matters really. :mickey:

Granny Jill A
05-15-2009, 08:49 AM
My workmates give me that OMG response when I say I'm going back to Disneyworld. They think it's just Magic Kingdom, but as we all know, it's so much more.

Their idea of a great vacation is to lie on a beach and then drink in a bar. Fine for them, but I would bored out of my mind. I've been other places, but Disney relaxes me completely.

Spacegirl
05-17-2009, 09:50 AM
I have a co worker and friend like that. She actually sounded like she was getting mad at me and stated that she likes to take her kids to see something with culture and history. I stated that this IS history. Why does anybody care!!!! I grew up on Disney and have never looked back. By the way, we have gone other places but always find myself wishing I was at Disney or saying to myself "Disney would do this better". I do have to agree that Disney is expensive, even though I have to toot my own horn about being pretty savvy when it comes to saving money going there. I feel at times like I have a disease. Here it goes: Hi, my name is D, and I am a Disneyaholic!!!!!

Mrs Bus Driver
05-17-2009, 10:56 AM
I feel at times like I have a disease. Here it goes: Hi, my name is D, and I am a Disneyaholic!!!!!

:ambal:
It is called ODPD (Obsessive Disney Planning Disorder). Many suffer few recover.

:nurse: My name is Lynnette and I am a Disneyaholic.

I always come to Intercot for my regular fix. :mickey:

tiggerbuddy
05-17-2009, 03:24 PM
I just say "To each his own..."
You like camping and doing it every year, I dont..I'm going to Disney

Kathy Jetson
05-17-2009, 03:26 PM
I think I get on peoples nerves because I talk about Disney every day. I try to stop but I just cant help myself. by the way I love it here it feels like home.

TheVBs
05-17-2009, 03:35 PM
:ambal:
It is called ODPD (Obsessive Disney Planning Disorder). Many suffer few recover.

:nurse: My name is Lynnette and I am a Disneyaholic.

I always come to Intercot for my regular fix. :mickey:

So that's what I have! We just got back and I'm already wondering when we can go again.

My name is Susanne and I'm a Disneyholic. :blush:

Maryln8
05-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Disney has a great product. Good value. Fun Fun Fun. It is so family friendly. I could go on and onnnnnnnnnnn