PDA

View Full Version : Signature Dining?

BelleKP
05-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Quick question for all you Intercot foodies . . .:eat:
When you book a signature dining experience, be it Hoop De Doo or CRT . . . do you use two of your dining plan credits or pay for it out of pocket? :spend: (I should mention we are two adults, one child, one infant.)
With every trip we try to do something new and I think a signature dining experience would be fun . . . just wondering about cost effectiveness (but really, does that term apply when we're going all out at WDW?:) )
Thanks for your advice! :thumbsup:

MickeyandTink
05-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Last year, DW and DD did CRT using two TS credits each. We made up the difference by spreading out our CS meals (i.e. ordering 2 CS at a meal, instead of 3). There was enough food that it worked out fine for us.

Generally, the signature dining meals are not as "cost effective" as getting two individual TS meals. However, the point is to enjoy yourself. If you were going to have several signature dining experiences, then get the deluxe plan. If only one or two, just forgo a couple of TS nights and do a bit more CS. If you don't have enough credits, then pay OOP for one or two CS meals at the less expensive places.

SBETigg
05-07-2009, 12:49 PM
I love California Grill and Narcoossee's, and I really like Flying Fish, Citricos, and Jiko. When we do the Signature dining, we use our dining plan credits, but it might not always be the most cost-effective way to use credits. We don't care. We get the DP for the ease of it, for paying in advance and just enjoying our vacation our way.

What I would do if I were really planning for the cost, though, is to plan out where I wanted to dine for the entire vacation and then decide a) if the DP plan worked for me b) which of the DPs worked best for me and c) Which experiences would be the best use of credits and which would be best oop. Dinners are usually better bets than breakfasts or lunches for credits. Set price meals are sometimes better to pay oop. It all depends on your plans.

TheRustyScupper
05-07-2009, 03:36 PM
When looking for economic value from DDP
. . . don't use DDP for any breakfast
. . . don't use DDP for any dinner show
. . . don't use DDP for most lunches
. . . don't use DDP for any character meal

BelleKP
05-07-2009, 04:36 PM
When looking for economic value from DDP
. . . don't use DDP for any breakfast
. . . don't use DDP for any dinner show
. . . don't use DDP for most lunches
. . . don't use DDP for any character meal

My goodness then . . . what does that leave? :D

Kairi_7378
05-08-2009, 12:04 AM
Sherri and Rusty give both sides of the DDP view. On one hand, you can worry about getting value, and Rusty's tips are right on. Use the TS credits for dinner to maximize your value, and look for CS places that give lots of food. On the other hand, you can spend your credits to eat wherever you want and not worry about the "value."

As for me, I wouldn't use 2TS credits for the Brown Derby because it is a cheaper signature restaurant. The more expensive ones have more "value" for the credits.

TheRustyScupper
05-08-2009, 08:11 AM
My goodness then . . . what does that leave? :D

1) Signature restaurants, like Artist Point (but, 2-TS).
2) You can also find good economic deals at 1-TS eateries.
3) But, the entrée should be $28-$32 for 1-TS coupon.
4) $64 if you use 2-TS coupons.

NOTE: I make no judgment as to menu items or room ambiance, just economic value. If I am paying for dinner (even through DDP) I want to make sure I get my money's worth. If I spend $28 on a DDP coupon, why would I eat a $22 meal? Convenience? Hey, I'll charge it to my room key. Some people say, "but, I don't have to worry about paying." That is like saying "I will give the IRS $20,000 more and let them keep it forever so I don't pay any taxes in April."

SBETigg
05-08-2009, 08:21 AM
NOTE: I make no judgment as to menu items or room ambiance, just economic value. If I am paying for dinner (even through DDP) I want to make sure I get my money's worth. If I spend $28 on a DDP coupon, why would I eat a $22 meal? Convenience? Hey, I'll charge it to my room key. Some people say, "but, I don't have to worry about paying." That is like saying "I will give the IRS $20,000 more and let them keep it forever so I don't pay any taxes in April."

I still prefer to pay it in advance. The convenience for me is knowing that money is already spent and gone instead of worrying about my budget while I'm on vacation. And I have expensive tastes, so it has always worked out that I've saved money with the DDP on what I would normally order anyway. This isn't going to be the case for everyone, and that's why people need to think about their own dining styles before jumping in. I also think your entree cost theory is a bit off, because for the money, you're also getting dessert and a counter service meal which does make the cost break even or more for a percentage of plan users. If you don't normally spend that much on counter service or order dessert, then again, maybe it's not working out for you.

BelleKP
05-08-2009, 09:32 AM
So now you all have me rethinking the DDP in it's entirety . . . as opposed to just whether or not we should use credits for a Signature Dining meal!! :confused:
We have always used the dining plan . . and have found that we have saved money in doing so . . . and I agree, by paying it up front what's done is done and although perhaps no more convenient then charging it to the room key . . . I don't have to watch the cost of everything I charge. However, this time with our DDs 5 and 9months we are doing more character meals and buffets . . . so I'm starting to think it may not be worth the cost. I guess I'll have to do some math today and figure all this out!
As usual, thanks for giving me lots to think about! :thumbsup:

KAT1811
05-09-2009, 08:11 AM
I love California Grill and Narcoossee's, and I really like Flying Fish, Citricos, and Jiko. When we do the Signature dining, we use our dining plan credits, but it might not always be the most cost-effective way to use credits. We don't care. We get the DP for the ease of it, for paying in advance and just enjoying our vacation our way.

:ditto:

This is also our view on the dining plan. We did not use the DDP on our last trip and we were sorry. We spent just as much paying OOP than we would have if we purchased the DDP and it was such a pain to pay OOP for all of our meals. Having to carry tons of cash on us was a pain. DH and I are cash people not credit card people so whatever the case may be we always carry the cash, just more so when we have to pay OOP for meals. Plus in Disney we are so busy we end up eating two full meals whatever they may be and then snack around the World for the third. Some days we do three meals but rarely are we that hungry. We are usually too busy with the attractions I guess.

For us the ease of the DDP is wonderful. Our meals are paid for in advance (for the most part as DH and I like our wine and there is always the tip) and as a family of 6 now that is a considerable cost.

I never scrutinize the DDP. I plan our itinerary, along with our meals and then count how many TS we have then if we have a few signiture experiences I choose a couple of the cheaper meals to pay for OOP while we are there. For example this trip I will pay for Crystal Palace breakfast OOP. If you count every penny and overanalyze the DDP you'll drive yourself crazy. There are great arguments for both sides. I advise you to do whatever is easiest for you and go from there. Plus for us there are some days when we don't want to be tied to an ADR so then we have extra credits. Either way we have a fabulous time in Disney.

DisneyGlutton
05-11-2009, 12:11 AM
. . . just wondering about cost effectiveness (but really, does that term apply when we're going all out at WDW?:) )
Thanks for your advice! :thumbsup:

What is this thing called cost effectiveness you speak of? ;) B/c if you want cost effective from Disney, go buy some of their movies, lol

Seriously though, I would recommend the dining plan unless you plan on eating off property or something. Even if you don't maximize the use of TS credits, it would be very hard not to save money. If you are a planner, I would plan out your meals ahead of time as best you can and decide what is the best use of your credits.