PDA

View Full Version : Backpack/Fannypack essentials

mindyjoh
05-06-2009, 06:44 PM
We are taking our first Disney trip this coming September. What are the essentials that we will need to carry with us in the parks BUT kept to a bare minimum? It will be much more enjoyable the less we have to lug around all day. Tickets, camera, etc....

Thanks!:thumbsup:

TracyL
05-06-2009, 07:16 PM
If you're staying on property, the nice thing is you can carry your room key and almost nothing else. You will hardly need cash for anything; use your room key as charge card and ticket. Carry your ID, your room key and maybe $20 in cash just in case, and you're all set on that.

As for the rest -- camera is good, but if you prefer not to carry it, you can always take advantage of Photopass and let the Disney photographers do all your picture taking for you. You'll miss a lot of candid shots, but every shot you do get will be picture perfect! That's a personal preference thing.

Remaining must-haves: sunglasses and hat, sunscreen, tissues (for wiping sunscreen out of eyes and dabbing at tears of joy). I attach a carabiner to my belt loop and attach my hat (almost always a baseball hat style) to my belt when I'm inside - nice for shows and any ride where you could lose it. Having your sunglasses on a lanyard or chain around your neck is helpful too, since it seems like you're always going in and out of buildings. Something to hold a water bottle is a nice-to-have - one of those things with the rubber ring and a clip or a lanyard. Better yet, carry your own metal or plastic reusable water bottle - cheaper and more eco-friendly. There are plenty of water fountains all over the parks.

TracyL
05-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Oh - one more thing. If you're staying on property and you make any purchases, they will send your packages back to your hotel for later pickup, so you don't have to lug them around. Take advantage of this super-convenient service!

Daisy'sMom
05-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Oh my, your first trip. I am so excited for you. One thing you might want to carry, a few bandaids and a couple of tylenol. You never know.
It's still very warm in Sept here, take pool breaks in the afternoon. Have fun!!!!:mickey:

crltkcagle
05-06-2009, 07:46 PM
I always carry baby wipes to clean hands and faces of my kids.

crltkcagle
05-06-2009, 07:49 PM
Oh almost forgot rain poncho's!

cindchan
05-06-2009, 08:01 PM
I take with me...

sunglasses
sun screen
ticket/room card
camera
wallet
hat
hand sanatizer

Those are my bare essentials. ^_^

kakn7294
05-06-2009, 08:09 PM
On my next trip I plan to carry:

Room key / AP / Photopass card / TIW card / ADR info
Drivers license
debit card / credit card
cash
chapstick or blistex
ibuprofen
camera
comb / ponytail band
hat
cell phone
rain poncho if more than usual afternoon shower predicted

PrettyMinnie
05-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Oh - one more thing. If you're staying on property and you make any purchases, they will send your packages back to your hotel for later pickup, so you don't have to lug them around. Take advantage of this super-convenient service!

I have heard of people doing this, but I never have. Do I just ask for the service or what?

Genie1953
05-06-2009, 08:57 PM
My husband and I wore a small lightweight nylon drawstring backpack on our trip in 2005 taking turns wearing it. It was great! It had a hidden compartment with a side zipper that was out of view of others. It held our sunglasses and my room key perfectly. The larger drawstring portion of the backpack held our camera, disney rain ponchos, sunscreen, tylenol, 2 water bottles a small brush, 2 washcloths in baggies for cooling ourselves down if we got too hot. A few times we took our refillable resort mugs with us to the parks....especially if we were going to be going to a show. Once the mugs were empty we just stashed them in the back back and refilled them occasionally with water, however that did make it a bit more bulky as they were bigger than the water bottles. Since we were wearing the backpack our hands were free and we were able to leave it on during many of the rides. The great thing about the drawstring backpack was that it was impossible for anyone to access the backpack unless we took it off so no chance of anyone taking anything when you least expected it. I did recently buy a small travelon messenger type bag and may try that when we head that direction next spring just to see how it works but the drawstring backpack is definitely coming with us. Boy I just realized that I got quite a bit off topic so here is what we took with us to the parks each day:
Sunglasses
Room key
Disney rain ponchos
Camera
Sunscreen
Tylenol
2 water bottles
Small brush
2 washcloths in baggies

Mousemates
05-06-2009, 09:24 PM
While this probably isn't necessary to say in 2009...we all also carry our cellphones in the parks, great to use to regather the troops if you split up for some reason (i.e. send someone across the park for fastpasses) or locate someone if you get separated for a bit.

CardsFan81
05-06-2009, 09:50 PM
I have heard of people doing this, but I never have. Do I just ask for the service or what?

Yes. If you want it sent back to your resort, just let them know. They'll have you fill out a quick form, but it's worth it not to carry it all around. :mickey:

MickeyandTink
05-07-2009, 12:06 AM

We have done this several times. It is the only way to go. However, it is not available the day you leave and I would probably not do it the day before either, just in case.

However, you can also have your item available for pickup at the front gate on those days, which is almost as good.

beksy
05-07-2009, 11:48 AM
On the last trip we carried:
my camera with extra battery and storage card
a little bit of cash
ID/room key (had tickets and money on it)/ADR info on little cards/photopass card
autograph book and pen for my sister
tissues
hand sanitizer
pain medicine
bandaid
those little strings you put on glasses that go around your neck for the fast rides (I'm blind without my glasses so I can't take any chances!)

The cards were put in the camera bag which is small and I carry around my neck. My sister had a fannie pack (won't give them up at Disney but since I'm not carrying anything I'm happy! :thedolls:) that we put everything else in. We always picked up a map and times guide that she put in on top of everything too. We sent all packages back to the resort (except one day when we bought some snacks at World Showcase which you can't have sent. It really made me appreciate that service!). Unlike most people, we didn't carry our cell phones since we were always together and it was just the two of us. If more were going, we would have had those too. We also found that we could get a bottle of water and split it so it wouldn't get too warm. My sister had enough room to stick it down at the side of her pack between the strap and herself and that held it tight. We got to extreme lengths to keep our hands free and not have to remove things for rides! I'd say only carry what you think you will need and if you see after the first day that you don't need it, just leave it behind after that.

WDW_Obsessed
05-07-2009, 12:27 PM
I won't echo everything that other posters have mentioned because they have pretty much summed up the essentials, but I will throw in the fact that my DH always wears cargo shorts and we're able to get away without actually carrying a bag this way. We haven't done a disney trip with kids however, and I'm sure we won't be able to get away with that then!

Ksmith75
05-07-2009, 01:45 PM
I bring a small cross bag style purse. I bring hand sanitizer, tissue, and a little baggie with alka seltzer, immodium, bendyrl and advil (just a few of each - almost never need it - but if you do, you will be glad you have it), bandaids and sunscreen....

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
05-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Don't forget Shout wipes. They are small and convenient. Who knows you may get a little crazy with a Mickey Ice Cream Bar!:mickey:
Enjoy The Magic!!

Dawn,Denise&Diane:wave::wave::wave:

BluewaterBrad
05-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Small hand sanitizer and sunscreen!!:mickey:

disneygirlie11
05-07-2009, 04:27 PM
I take:
Excedrin
Sunglasses
Sunscreen
Hand wipes
A ziplock bag (always comes in handy!)
Camera
Bandaids
Phone
Tissue

sara114
05-07-2009, 05:18 PM
I added this to my essentials a couple of years ago....individual lemonade or fruit flavored pkg that you add to water bottles. I buy 1 water bottle at the park, drink nice cold water and the rest of the day I can flavor the free water. They fit nicely in a travel QTip holder and provide a flavorful drink for free.

wire0monkey
05-08-2009, 10:51 AM
I'm going to try going with just a room key on the next trip and see how it goes. I want to see if I can do without a bag, because it means I can skip the security line.

sleepingbooty
05-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Everything I take with me has already been mentioned except I always bring a small container (those little tubular mini-m&m containers work great) of Maalox quick-dissolve chewables. We are always so stuffed after eating Disney style that one of us invariably needs them.

Meteora
05-09-2009, 05:57 PM
If there's any chance of rain, my sister and I usually each bring one of those very small umbrellas (totes makes one that's a great size) that easily fits in a purse. Ginger pills in case Splash Mountain doesn't agree with someone. And for us, our Hidden Mickey Guide is another essential!

Kairi_7378
05-09-2009, 09:41 PM
One thing that I bring is a large zip lock bag for my camera for the water attractions.

kemps@wdw
05-09-2009, 11:02 PM
No backpacks! (a security check-point holdup). My DH doesn't carry anything. He keeps his wallet and room card in his pockets (wallet in front pocket). I wear a SMALL fanny pack. Yes...a fanny pack. It holds my camera/camcorder (1 unit), room card, $, portable sunscreen, chapstick, and I can attach my ball hat (when I'm not wearing it), my poncho, and, sometimes, my water bottle and a small squeezie breezie (if it's really hot) onto the strap. Since it's in the front, I have easy access to all items, and less chance of theft. And the clip makes it easy to remove and put back on. Not to mention breezing thru security checks, cause they can see it all in about 2 seconds!

Daddy Mouse
05-10-2009, 08:54 AM
We have never spent much time at the security bag checks and we carry a backpack. Just have it open and as much visible as possible. The check goes quick.

Bring snacks (trail mix, power bars etc...) they are nice to have and save money. Of course a Dole Whip won't hurt.

rubato
05-10-2009, 03:29 PM
I won't echo everything that other posters have mentioned because they have pretty much summed up the essentials, but I will throw in the fact that my DH always wears cargo shorts and we're able to get away without actually carrying a bag this way. We haven't done a disney trip with kids however, and I'm sure we won't be able to get away with that then!

I'm going to attempt to get away with this on our next trip. My son will be 10 and, between hubby and son, I should be covered. I'll offer to carry the water bottle!;) I've always wanted to go through that line for people with no bags!

TheMartellFamily
05-10-2009, 04:44 PM
We do not carry band aids or tylenol , we will make that trip to the first aid center if needed. We do carry sun screen, H20 bottles, sunglasses, rain ponchos and camera. We also take a change of clothes for the younger one just in case it is needed. We always take a break at half day so we adjust to what is needed.