PDA

View Full Version : Disney Cruise or WDW...

JabberJaws
05-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Ok so Mousellaneous seemed like the best place for this (but mods feel free to move if needed).

Here is the deal, my wife and I have our 2 yr anniversary coming up in late June. Between work and everything else, we haven't taken a "real" vacation in a long time. My gift to her is to plan, organize, etc. a real vacation.

I want to give her a choice and after pricing out the various options, I've boiled it down to 3 choices that are all basically equal in total price. These are presented in the attached poll.

**Note: we have been to WDW many many times (but still love every second of it of course). AKL is our favorite resort, but normally when we go we stay in a moderate or value. I have been on a DC before, but she has not.

I took into account that DCs include food, and approximated the amt. of money spent on food during a 4 or 5 day WDW trip.

Also, I am looking at Feb. 2010, so keep the weather/temps/crowds in mind.

Thanks guys!

ASweetLov
05-07-2009, 12:15 AM
I say take her on the Disney Cruise since she hasn't been on one. It will be different for her, relaxing and still have that Disney magic. It will be special since it is your anniversary so I bet any trip will make her happy :D

MickeyandTink
05-07-2009, 12:45 AM
I woud vote for the cruise as well. While the parks are fantastic, there is just something special about a cruise. DW and I did a non-Disney cruise for our 5th anniversary, and it is one of our most special memories.

We love the parks, but there is just something that says "special" about a cruise.

JabberJaws
05-07-2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys, keep em coming!

So far the poll is nearly dead-even between my top two choices (5 days at WDW at AKL or the 4 day cruise).

I must say I am leaning towards the cruise though as she has never been on one before. I went on a DC once and it was an amazing time! My only concern is it being too cold during February to really take advantage of the pool, beach, etc. Seems that a cruise would be a waste of time if you are walking around in jeans and a sweater the entire time!

Decisions, decisions!

yjgirl32
05-07-2009, 09:08 AM
I went with the 5 days at AKL. Just because of the weather.

JabberJaws
05-07-2009, 10:43 AM

That is precisely my debate. Ultimately I want to give my wife the option of the 3, but what I am concerned about is a February cruise could prove to be decent weather, or it could be cold. If it is cold, that limits EVERYTHING above deck and on-island. Hard to have a relaxing beach/cruise experience when you are wearing a jacket and jeans.

A WDW trip, however, can be enjoyed in the cold same as warm (minus a handful of water rides).

It is a difficult decisions indeed! I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a cruise and the last 90 days (after full payment is due and no refunds) be crossing my fingers that it is warm, but at the same time I don't want to miss out on a chance to do a cruise.

Ugh! If only prices during the warmer months were similar to the Jan/Feb prices for cruises!

GrmGrninGost
05-09-2009, 12:07 PM
My ideal vacation is to go to WDW and stay as long as money allows, or until I have to be back at work! :mickey:

PiratesCove
05-09-2009, 09:39 PM

I agree!!!

tinktude
05-09-2009, 10:56 PM
My husband and I took a DC the beginning of January last year and we still went swimming on the cruise ship (the water was very warm). The weather was chilly while we were still in FL, but once we got out to sea, the weather was just right. Neither too cold or too hot.

We did not swim in the carribean because the water was too cold, but I still managed to spend some quality time on the beach. Also managed to get sun poisoning, so it was an interesting time.

BMan62
05-10-2009, 07:33 AM
I chose the 5-night AKL stay mainly because I prefer quantity. The more Disney, the better.

One quick thing on the cruise though.... If you are taking her on her first cruise, spend the extra $$$ and go Cat 7 or lower (i.e. Cat 6, Cat 5, Cat 4) - something with at least a Navigators Verandah. The experience will be so much more enjoyable.

JabberJaws
05-11-2009, 09:09 AM
One quick thing on the cruise though.... If you are taking her on her first cruise, spend the extra $$$ and go Cat 7 or lower (i.e. Cat 6, Cat 5, Cat 4) - something with at least a Navigators Verandah. The experience will be so much more enjoyable.

Unfortunately, there is a $400 per person difference between a cat 11 and a cat 7 (YIKES! :jaw:) and being a young fella who just finished his first year owning his first house, I can't afford that haha.

I did a DC in 2002 with some College Program friends. We were in the lowest of the low stateroom (the CMs always get the cheapest rooms) and still had a blast. There was so much to do the only time we spent in the room was to sleep, so the room is no biggy.

I am starting to lean towards the 5-day WDW trip just due to the unpredictable weather, but it will ultimately be her choice, so we will see.