PDA

View Full Version : Am I totally nuts?

DunkieKong
05-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Every person I've been mentioning my next Disney trip to, keeps telling me that I'm crazy. What do you think?

Myself, my brother, and two friends, are driving down to the world from New Jersey on Friday night. Our sole purpose for this trip is to see the Ricky Nelson Remembered show at the America Gardens Theater in Epcot on Saturday. We will also ride everything we can, and eat at the Biergarten. We then stay the night, and leave very early on sunday morning to head home.

That's the trip in a nutshell. There are many reasons why we are only going for only a one day trip: i.e. another trip planned later in the year, no vacation time saved up yet, just the fun of the road trip....

But what does everyone here think? Are we crazy? Has anyone driven this distance for such a short trip? Thanks

SBETigg
05-05-2009, 09:01 PM
I think it sounds wild and adventurous, not crazy at all. How fun is that plan? I'm impressed. I don't think I would have the energy (but I wish I did). Have a great time! And report back.

DisneyPrincess21
05-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Every person I've been mentioning my next Disney trip to, keeps telling me that I'm crazy. What do you think?

Myself, my brother, and two friends, are driving down to the world from New Jersey on Friday night. Our sole purpose for this trip is to see the Ricky Nelson Remembered show at the America Gardens Theater in Epcot on Saturday. We will also ride everything we can, and eat at the Biergarten. We then stay the night, and leave very early on sunday morning to head home.

That's the trip in a nutshell. There are many reasons why we are only going for only a one day trip: i.e. another trip planned later in the year, no vacation time saved up yet, just the fun of the road trip....

But what does everyone here think? Are we crazy? Has anyone driven this distance for such a short trip? Thanks

Well speaking as a "disney nut" myself, I don't think any amount of time spent at disney isn't worth it. I would love being at disney no matter how long, But that being said, I would not be able to only be there for that little of a time. I just wouldn't be able to do it, Plus with the long drive down and back I would feel it wasn't worth the long drive. I always drive to wdw, But I usually stay for atleast a week. So on such a short trip I would rather hop on a plan and fly down because it would give you more time in florida and at the parks.
But either way hope you guys have a great time!

kakn7294
05-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Well, it's a little crazy but sounds like total fun! Have a great time!!!

GrmGrninGost
05-05-2009, 10:45 PM
I see nothing odd about it at all! :mickey: What's the big deal?

disneyboundagain
05-05-2009, 11:32 PM
It sounds like a fun trip, but you're still nuts. We all are, that's why we all congregate on this site!!:thumbsup:

AHOTE
05-06-2009, 01:29 AM
Well if you're crazy :crazy: you can be sure you're not at the head of the line. :D We did a similar thing when I was in college way back when the Magic Kingdom was all that was and I-95 wasn't competed yet. Four of us piled into a VW bug, :car: left Temple U. after classes late on a Thursday, drove all the way to WDW stopping only for gas, food and restrooms along the way. It took us 29 hours to get there. We arrived at 3AM, slept in a parking lot not too far from WDW and managed to get there just as the parking lots were being opened. We spent the day having a great time, not a worry in the world. Around 9 that night we carefully loaded our sunburned bodies back into the car and we headed back to Philly. It took us a lot longer to get back because of fatigue and sunburn but we did manage to get to most of our classes on Monday. It is one of our most memorable trips. BTW we have no desire to repeat it, we're not :crazy: Have a great time!

TennesseeTink
05-06-2009, 08:28 AM
I personally LOVE road trips! As long as you do too and you're considering the trip itself to be part of the fun, then I say "Go fot it!" Years from now, as AHOTE posted above, you'll probably consider it to be one of your favorite WDW memories. If not, at least it will make for an amusing story.:D

GrumpyFan
05-06-2009, 11:28 AM
DW and I did something similar in 2004. She was working for the Disney store at the time and had tickets. Valentine's day fell on a Saturday and we decided to drive down from Atlanta for the weekend. Since it was last minute, we couldn't get any rooms on property, so we had to stay off-property, which wasn't bad.

We had a great day and half in the parks, hopping to all 4. However, we stayed a little later on Sunday than we should have. We had a hard time leaving. We were after 8 o'clock leaving to head back home. The 6 and half hour trip down, was closer to 10 on the way back due to our physical exhaustion. We stopped numerous times for caffeine and potty breaks and to change drivers or just stretch, or eventually to catch a short nap. We wound up getting home to the north side of Atlanta, just beating traffic, and with just enough time to catch an hour nap, then get up and go to work.

We still talk about how crazy we were, and how much fun it was. We couldn't and wouldn't dream of trying to do the same from where we live now. So, I say go for it, but be careful.

DunkieKong
05-06-2009, 02:23 PM
You're all making me feel much better about this trip. It is probably going to be one of the most fun trips we've taken.

IamBelle
05-06-2009, 04:37 PM
That sounds like it will be a lot of fun. I always thought a road trip to WDW for a weekend would be interesting.

BluewaterBrad
05-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Nope, not crazy. Sounds like a great road trip!! I couldnt do that anymore but there was a time I did!! :mickey:

mdhiggin
05-06-2009, 10:47 PM
I have learned over the years that if I think it will be fun, it will be. No matter what the naysayers say, they cannot take away your fun unless you let them.

AHOTE
05-07-2009, 02:04 AM
You're all making me feel much better about this trip. It is probably going to be one of the most fun trips we've taken.

Don't forget to tell us how it went! :mickey:

DunkieKong
05-07-2009, 12:27 PM
I'll definitely post about the trip when I get back. Thanks for the support.

DunkieKong
05-13-2009, 05:51 PM
Sorry it took so long to update you on the trip. It took a few days to fully recover from it. The trip turned out to be incredible. Way too short though. It was nice to take a last minute, off the cuff, trip, but we all definitely wanted to stay much longer. We were jealous of the folks talking about which park to hit the next day. But this was absolutely one of the most fun times I've ever had. I reccomend to everyone, if you get the chance, load up the car with your best friends, and just drive. Getting there was half the fun.

SBETigg
05-13-2009, 06:10 PM
You did it! Wow, how cool. So glad it was fun. It would have been great to have more time, but it's pretty amazing that you managed to work this out and have the time you had. Awesome.

mrsgaribaldi
05-13-2009, 07:06 PM
We were there for that show!!! I don't think your nuts. We've gone for short trips too but never drove. But I don't like driving at all.

AHOTE
05-14-2009, 12:06 AM
:thumbsup: :clappy: :high5:

I knew you'd have a great time!

dismommy
05-14-2009, 12:55 PM
I have come to a realization that non-disney believers just don't understand. My best friend always says "why?" when I tell her we are going back. It's not her thing, she thinks big european adventures, as I pointed out to her we will see if you change your tune after carrying a cranky toddler around rome.:mickey:

TennesseeTink
05-14-2009, 07:17 PM
We were jealous of the folks talking about which park to hit the next day.

That happens to me on my last day of every trip, no matter how long I've been there. lol I'm so glad that you had a great time! I think I'm going to have to talk DH into doing a weekend trip, maybe for the Eagles tribute in late June. With those crowds and hot weather, we can probably only stand it for a weekend anyway.:thumbsup: