PDA

View Full Version : Ride Review - Gran Fiesta Tour Starring the Three Caballeros

Red Randal
05-05-2009, 07:52 PM
Happy Cinco De Mayo! Let’s celebrate with a look at the “Gran Fiesta Tour” in Epcot’s Mexico pavilion. It’s the ride that used to be known as “El Rio Del Tiempo” and was revamped in 2007. It now includes the Three Caballeros and swine flu!

Intro: I reviewed this one awhile back when it was simply known as “El Rio Del Tiempo” and it more or less stunk then. In the meantime they added more Disney characters, which fans of Disneyland’s “Small World” will tell you is never a bad idea…or something like that.

Queue: Go up the stairs, into the Aztec pyramid, through the little museum, down the ramp, past the fountain, through the marketplace, and next door to the restaurant. Easy guest access to this was a priority during Epcot’s initial construction. I visited about a month after the refurbishment and there were four or five people in line in front of me so, hey, already an improvement over the old ride!

Ride: We hop into our boats and are launched off into the Mexican evening. We head on past the marketplace and restaurant where it’s always twilight (just like the real Mexico!) We get just close enough to the tourists to beg for an overpriced burrito (just like the real Mexico!) and head past a volcano or pyramid or something, it’s really hard to tell since it’s twilight and all. Then it’s into the first room.

The three caballeros appear, projected in cartoon form on a wall, to introduce themselves. It’s actually only the two caballeros, as Donald is nowhere to be found, Panchito and Jose (si, that’s their names.) We make our way down a river, through some ancient ruins, as the birds look for their missing amigo. Donald is on one side of the river trying on sombreros while the birds fly around on the other side, oblivious. For reasons past anyone’s understanding, they do this while riding a magic carpet.

As we continue along, more cleverly disguised video screens play assorted scenes of Mexico ranging from normal (churches, Aztec pyramids) to absurd (a mariachi band playing, wearing giant sombreros and riding on a canoe.) A weather vain (don’t ask) directs Jose and Pancito to the next room, the Dia Del Nino room from the original ride.

It’s kind of like “Small World-lite” where instead of dancing dolls there are dancing skeletons. No that wasn’t a swine flu joke, there seriously are. A banner helpfully informs us “Fiesta Hoy” (“party today” for the unenlightened) thus explaining why there are some children swinging a stick at a Donald Duck piñata. The skeletons, however, go unexplained.

Into the next room representing the tourist areas of Mexico as Donald goes parasailing while Jose and Panchito search for him at a cantina. We head on into the next room as the sun begins to set and Donald is reunited with his fellow Caballeros. They hold a giant party with the stereotypes and we head into the final room with the sweet fiberoptic fireworks display. The Caballeros perform a little musical number as we leave Mexico City and float past a giant map of the country and back into the dock.

Thoughts: Well that certainly was an adventure. I’m assuming that the imagineers who fail hallucinogenic drug tests are reassigned to design World Showcase attractions, that’s the only logical explanation.

Seriously though, the “Gran Fiesta Tour” is as delightful as it is baffling. It’s a fun ride despite being pretty disappointing considering the subject matter they were covering. The Three Caballeros layover provided the attraction with a cohesive story and the seemingly random scenes do fit in with the style of the movie. Unfortunately, doing cutesy gags with the cartoon characters takes away what little depth the old attraction had. It is no longer an attempt to showcase Mexican culture but rather uses the Mexican theme as a backdrop for wacky (and stereotypical) Donald Duck gags like trying to balance 10 sombreros on his head or swooning over a can can dancer.

Being perfectly fair, the new ride is an improvement over the old one but my general opinion doesn’t change. It’s a good respite for a hot afternoon in World Showcase. See it on a second day at Epcot (or while you’re waiting for a table at San Angel Inn.)

Overall Rating: ** ¾

Anyway...what do people think of "Gran Fiesta Tour?" I know this is a pretty polarizing one so I'm interested to hear what people have to say.

Friend of Figment
05-05-2009, 07:59 PM
This is better than its predecessor, but I wish they could do better. There are so many fabulous things about Mexico that this is kind of disappointing.

In keeping with the theme of the pavillion - what about a ride back to Aztec times.

I'm not a thrill ride person, but for those that are some kind of simulation of cliff diving would be great.

LarryBoy
05-05-2009, 08:39 PM
I always assumed the skeletons were for Dia de los Muertos, or Day of the Dead.

MickeyMousse
05-05-2009, 08:44 PM
We enjoy the relaxing boat ride and it's just one of those rides we feel we can just veg out on.
The addition of Donald was refreshing and as my younger DS7 said on our last trip, it was nice to see Donald featured in Disney rides a bit more now.

Red Randal
05-05-2009, 08:55 PM

They are. Dia del Nino is a different holiday, that was a mistake on my part. I tried to correct it but got an error message.

Nevertheless, the ride could make an attempt at, ya know, EXPLAINING that. Thanks for the heads up though. :thumbsup:

kbean
05-05-2009, 09:39 PM
The ride is still fun...but they needed to update the video photage. You can till they were shot back in the 70's. They just dupped the Three Cabannoyos over it.

Mickey91
05-05-2009, 09:53 PM
I enjoyed it. I didn't feel the characters invaded the ride, only enhanced it. :mickey:

Pop Centurion
05-05-2009, 10:27 PM
I enjoy this ride a lot but it just feels out of place. It doesn't seem to match the atmosphere of the inside of the Aztec pyramid IMO.

GrmGrninGost
05-05-2009, 10:47 PM
I like the characters! I would give it three and a half stars if that were an option. As it is, I give it three stars.

Tigger&Stitch
05-05-2009, 11:00 PM
Nah, I hate it now. I always saw Epcot as more 'adult' than the other parks, and the old ride was more fitting in with the 'learn about Mexico' theme. Now it's filled with idiotic antics from cartoons. Sadly, we won't be riding it again as long as stays the way it is. :down:

AmandaChan
05-06-2009, 12:18 AM
When I rode this ride after they changed it I was very upset at the change. However last year DH and I watch the Three Caballeros for the first time and now I have a newfound appreciation for it.

RAIDER
05-06-2009, 07:42 AM
Well put it this way ..Its an improvement on what it was there before :thumbsup:

like2workout
05-06-2009, 08:54 AM
this is always one of my "must do's" when i go to epcot. it's a relaxing boat ride, and i love seeing the three caballeros included now. they have always been some of my favorite characters and i'm glad to see them around more.

MickeyandTink
05-06-2009, 11:42 AM
For some reason, this is one of DD's favorite rides in the world. We usually do it at least 2 or 3 times while we are there. I think a lot of it has to do with that "zany" Donald. :donald: I agree this could ride could really be so much more, with a more in depth view of Mexican culture and history. However, I do agree it's a better ride now than it used to be.

johnO
05-06-2009, 11:58 AM
It was better as "El Rio Del Tiempo". These cartoon characters added in seem to minimze and satirize the Mexican culture. It's rather embarrassing actually as it seems to depict the "gringo's" condescending view of the Mexican culture as some sort of cartoon comic routine.

Laughin' place
05-06-2009, 01:31 PM
The refurbishment has pretty much ruined the ride for us. The original was badly dated, but the resort and other movie clips could have easily been updated and that would have refreshed the ride sufficiently. I love Donald and characters as part of attractions, but the loss of the footage of the Aztec and Maya dancers, etc was a mistake. The old ride fit the pavillion itself much better, as well as the idea behind WS. We'll ride this each visit, but my 16 year old says he'll boycott.:mad:

JabberJaws
05-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Well despite the fact that the story (or lack thereof) makes absolutely no sense, it is a fun upgrade to the old ERDT. I mean I know that the Three Cs are supposed to be having a concert, get lost in Mexico, and caos ensues, but they don't really set that up very well IMO.

I will say this though, I think they did a good job of incorporating a fun, colorful disney-esque story. They weren't going for a homerun, just something to freshen it up a bit, and I think they accomplished that.

I mean let's be honest, as much as I LOVED the "Mexico as seen in 1982" feel of ERDT (especially the bar scene...that was classic!) it needed an upgrade!

**And just as an aside, I did LOVE the campiness of the old ERDT so don't get me wrong. I especially miss the Mayan King statue that would come to life and say some stuff in mayan that ended with "YAMCHA WOOCHIE" haha.

JabberJaws
05-06-2009, 04:23 PM
It was better as "El Rio Del Tiempo". These cartoon characters added in seem to minimze and satirize the Mexican culture. It's rather embarrassing actually as it seems to depict the "gringo's" condescending view of the Mexican culture as some sort of cartoon comic routine.

Not to be argumentative, but did ERDT not satirize Mexican culture? I will admit I liked the Mayan stuff at the beginning and was not happy that they removed that, but beyond that it was absolutely a satire/stereotype of Mexican culture, particularly the market scene, getting chased around and harassed by the merchants. That is just as much of a "cartoon, comic routine" as the Three Caballeros.

I honestly don't think that a "realistic" view of Mexican history and culture was what they were going for with the original, or the remake.

Don't read me wrong, I loved the original, but it was definitely high on the camp value. I mean even the aforementioned Mayan scenes were campy and never really taught anything about Mexican culture. I mean Mexico is not all parties, fireworks, beach resorts and brightly colored marketplaces.

Now, having said that, I am not saying that the new version is not campy and satirical as well, but to me it accomplishes this in a much more light hearted way. The old ERDT always seemed a bit more like a "Travel to Mexico" commercial than anything else.

**Note - I LOVED the old ERDT so do not misconstrue my above post! :D

IamBelle
05-06-2009, 04:24 PM
I love this ride!! I gave it 5 stars.
On our last trip, my siblings and I rode it about 4-5 times. We just love that Three Caballeros song!!

beksy
05-07-2009, 12:33 PM
This ride is ok but I liked the original version so much better. We'll still ride it each trip though.

prttynpnk
05-07-2009, 01:09 PM

I always feel like I should apologize to the Mexican Tourism board as I leave....

ASweetLov
05-09-2009, 01:32 PM
I love this ride!!!! I love the Three Caballeros too hehe :D

Tigerinvestigator
05-09-2009, 01:35 PM
I miss the old version, but this one is starting to grow on me. Would greatly improve the ride if they would add a couple of really good Donald animatronics!

PiratesCove
05-09-2009, 09:19 PM

That's what I assumed as well.

Mousemates
05-09-2009, 11:15 PM
this ride earns a C- (is a D without donald)

DisneyNut2005
05-10-2009, 07:21 AM
I gave this 4 stars. A nice little ride for kids and entire families to enjoy and a big improvement over El Rio del Tiempo.

The 3 Caballeros and Epcot's Mexico pavilion are definetely a perfect fit. I also give kudos to Disney for doing something to give further acknowledgement and exposure to one of Walt's lesser-known and more underappreciated old school-era animated features.

Although El Rio del Tiempo was a nice little diversion, it became rather dated and it was time for a change. And El Rio didn't really have that much in the way of educational value anyway, nor did it take more time to explain certain things (like what specific dances the Mayans were doing and why they were doing them, etc.). This ride certainly needed to have some new life injected into it and its attendance has increased there since the change.

Not every Epcot attraction has to be 100% educational.

For a better understanding of all this, I'd like to recommend cruising on over to the 2719 Hyperion blog and reading its articles that heavily focus on the 3 Caballeros, which might enhance your appreciation for this makeover even more.

dream6
05-10-2009, 10:49 AM
I don't remember a whole lot from the original unfortunately. Just the being chased by the merchants part, and I think it also had the fireworks at the end. Just like the option I chose in the poll - it's an average ride. Entertaining, but not something I have to do.

LudwigVonDrake
05-10-2009, 12:03 PM
I think it's better than what was there before. I really liked it and thought it was a good upgrade.

disneyphilip
08-20-2009, 09:12 AM
Well put it this way ..Its an improvement on what it was there before :thumbsup:

I totally agree.

It's great to see an attraction that acknowledges the existance of one of the lesser-known and underappreciated Walt-era animated features.

The Mexico pavilion and the 3 Caballeros are a match made in heaven, IMO.

Pally
08-20-2009, 10:28 AM
I know I have been on it, but for some reason it is not a very memorable ride for me, bad or good.

I guess I will give it a try next week to see if it is worth it or not?:mickey:

KAJUNKING
08-20-2009, 10:44 AM
i think its worth the time to ride and its an improvement over the previous version, but i wouldnt go out of my way to ride it

Ms. Mode
08-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Dahling...I didn't know there was a ride back there:secret:

vws_and_disney
08-20-2009, 02:47 PM
boring. it is nice to sit in the front and stretch out though

SandmanGStefani24
10-08-2009, 11:06 PM
i really liked the old verion better, and dont like the cartoony/slapsticky feel of the new ride. i am glad they kept the tracks and some scenes the same, but i'm really glad i got to ride it twice before it was marred...er, i mean changed. :D

darthmacho
10-09-2009, 04:13 PM
Hmm, and old thread. I haven't seen the new version, but I loved the old one. Can't wait to see it next year. It was a very underrated ride, imho. :mickey: