PDA

View Full Version : "Wish I Had Known!"

mickeys_princess_mom
05-05-2009, 05:55 PM
What mistakes have you experienced, or seen other people make in the parks that you wish you had known about? Maybe we can head some off for our Intercot family here...One of the first that came to mind was the huge backpacks I see so many Dads and Moms carrying. I can't imagine they're having much of a good time, especially in the heat. :medic:I've seen lots of them trying to be a sport and tough it out, and felt bad for them.We've streamlined what we bring in to the parks, cause we don't need as much as we used to think we did. Everything you can take out and not have to carry is a plus. You'll last longer and feel better.
I realize, of course, that those with babies and special needs may need to bring more, but perhaps a break during the day would cut down on some of this.
Which leads me to the second thing....Let those little ones have a rest! Marathon ridehopping is not worth dragging exhausted children around. Just thought of another---princess costumes are wonderful, but a light tank underneath may help with the heat, and make sure the princess feet are in comfy shoes!
Her royal feet will thank you, and you won't end up carrying her. :princess:

GoBlueLacheta
05-05-2009, 06:16 PM
First, I wish I could pick out what park is going to be slammed on a particular day. A lot of the time there is not much rhyme or reason. EMH factor a bit into it but some days everyone decides to go to one park it seems. You realize this go to another and you're stunned by the difference.

Second, I wish people would recognize the rides aren't going anywhere. Is it really necessary to trample my shoes off because I'm not sprinting toward the attraction.

And C, Stable planning goes a long way to relieving stress. It does not have to be a military conquest, but just a firm timetable with plenty of afternoon relaxation by the pool and time out of the crowds and sun.

Alligirl
05-05-2009, 06:25 PM
I wish I had known where the first aid station was before I needed it!!!! We were in AK and I lost the map but thought nothing of it, until I got a strange spider bite, a very bad reaction, and had no idea how to find the first aid!!

No we have looked for them in every park so we can find them if need be, but I would tell everyone to take note of the location at least on the map since you never know!

ransam
05-05-2009, 06:53 PM
For me it is to hit Disney the first day....you do all your planning and you're excited, and counting down days, and then when you get to orlando, and your first day you want to hit it big.....once we went and our first day went to Space Kennedy. I love Space Kennedy, but honestly it was a downer cause i was so excited to be walking down main street...so now that's the very first thing we do.

Friend of Figment
05-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Use your ADRs to help plan your route in the parks. No one really wants to have to run from Germany to Coral Reef when they realize their reservation is in 15 minutes.

Often, less is more. There is no special prize for being on every single ride and never sitting down except on rides. Everyone -from baby to Grandpa - will be happier with some breaks in the day.

Please, no matter how stressed you are, don't tell your kids to "Start having fun right now or I will spank you/because this is very expensive/ or I'll make sure you never have fun again". Ugly words don't really make for precious family memories.

illini
05-06-2009, 01:33 AM
It's OK to let older kids ride in a stroller. Most 4 year olds can't walk 10 miles a day, particularly in the heat. Save the little legs, and the sanity of people around you.

gueli
05-06-2009, 03:05 AM
1- Dont push the kids too far.
this includes us big kids. take a real break, do not look to drag the kids through high heat & humidity than attend a fireworks show/whatever as the kids are having a meltdown.

2- Be flexible. Plans can change do to circumstances. dont insist on waiting for the 3 hour line when you can come back & do it tommorow.

3- Dont try to fit it all in on one trip/day. Leave something for the next time. goes back to my first line. You do not need to complete everything in a park in a day.

4- Have fun. dont forget it while trying to keep up an imposible pace.

:mickey:

sisterslovindisney
05-06-2009, 09:05 AM
The first time we went I had a step by step plan from morning to night. I was so worried about being able to get through a park that we left out a lot of things. The problem with that plan was we went in January. Our longest wait was less than 15 minutes. We were done with some parks by noon. So I wish I would have known that wait times are very different depending on when you go.

Also I wish we had went to a value or mod for our first trip. Now we are so spoiled I always want to stay at the Poly :)

DVC2004
05-06-2009, 09:08 AM
ADRs are a MUST now if you want to do any sit down dining, and make sure everyone wears comfy, broken in shoes.

jusandnew
05-06-2009, 09:21 AM
The first time I was there we wanted to ride everything. Boy did we learn fast that everyone will get stressed out and have meltdowns.
Now we get to the parks around 9am and about 12- 1 pm we go back to the room for about 2-3 hours and relax. We also realized letting the kids swim during that time they get tired and when you go back to the parks they are very cranky.
Breaking the day up helps a lot. We also take a "snack" break in the evening.

We also know what rides to go to in the evening.Certain rides have no wait around 7-8 pm.

tinkerddeedee
05-06-2009, 09:27 AM
WHAT A GREAT THREAD!

I don't have any advise, just wanted to say thanks! Leaving in 2 days!!! :mickey:

Soph and Han's Mom
05-06-2009, 10:21 AM
SUNSCREEN!!!

Don't forget to put it on your toes if you're wearing flip flops! Burned feet don't feel awesome.

Take breaks, and we also realized that we don't eat as much as we thought we would, so we eased up on the ADR's.

c&d
05-06-2009, 11:07 AM
How big and exciting Disney is for a toddler. I remember our first trip with our son and he just kept going and going. We should have been more forceful about taking naps and breaks. Lesson well learned for the 2nd trip with him.

JabberJaws
05-06-2009, 11:12 AM
I have always been a vacation planning freak so I typically learn from the mistakes of others before I ever set foot in a place.

Having said that, some common mistakes I have seen from guests between visiting the parks and working as a CM several years back are:

PLANNING! This is the #1 mistake guests make. WDW is not the kind of place you can just buy and ticket to and hope for the best, especially if you aren't a seasoned visitor. When I was a CM at the RnRc gift shop, I once had a guest come up to me on July 4th and state "Unbelievable! I had to wait 2 hours to ride this ride. I have been here all day and only ridden 2 rides. I want a full refund on my ticket." Here is a tip, perhaps DON'T visit on the 4th of July if you don't want crowds!!!
Ladies - lay off the crazy high-heels. Especially when I went to DLR, but at WDW, I see far too many girls trotting around in high-heels at the parks. It just painful to even look at!
Be prepared for the heat and sun. A little SPF 30 can go a long way towards keeping you from looking like a lobster by the end of day 1.
Make ALL full service dinner reservations in advance.
Learn how to use FP correctly, and use it. When used properly, FP is a great asset. It can also be a nightmare if you don't know how to use it!
Finally - Just use common sense. There are far too many folks who visit the parks who seem to lack the most common of sense when it comes to making park-related decisions.

maxrebo77
05-06-2009, 11:26 AM
My mistake was to believe someone that the Idol press day at DHS wouldn't be a big deal and wouldn't change crowds that day. Taking a short trip to use up the last day of a parkhopper and had planned to go to 3 parks. I already had picked EPCOT and AK. My choice was to either do early magic at MK or MGM at park opening. I picked MGM. HUGE mistake. At opening the park was already full, and FP for TSM was already 11:45. Everything was already roped off for the parade, and you had to walk the back way just to get to RnR and ToT. Tried to get a dinner ressie for Hollywood Derby, but they had changed the late park days for the press thing and would only honor the old ressies. Wandered around ugly white press tents and cables to use my FP and got out of there. I zipped to EPCOT to SOar, SE and MS and see the boys in kilts, but then I was late for my 3:30 lunch ressie at Y&Y and didn't even get to go on EE.
I wish I would have picked early MK.I'll take my Buzz anyday over that disaster at DHS just to ride TSM.

marlaine
05-06-2009, 11:32 AM
I wish I would have known more about Magic Express. The first year we used it, I got all wigged out because it took around 3 hours for our luggage to show up in our room. We had reservations at CP and had to wear our airport clothes! YUCK The next year I waited at the baggage claim to take our suitcase with us on the bus. I waited and waited. I finally asked someone and they told me that if you put the luggage tags on, they don't go to the baggage claim. The ME people take them right from the plane. This year, I will not put the tags on, get my own luggage and drag it to the bus. That way I won't have to worry!
Also, the first year we went I didn't know MK was closing down at 7:00 for the P&P party. We had 5:00 ADRs at CP at 5:00. By the time we ate, we had to leave the park and wasted a whole day ticket for 3 hours!:(

cmsizzlin
05-06-2009, 11:47 AM
I agree with planning but people have to remember that they need to be flexible as well. We start with a basic plan of which park/which day, ADRS ect and go from there. The past 2 trips the kids were 6 & 7 and this trip in August we are adding a 2yr old to the mix. I find it less stressful if you can be flexible w/your plans.

Definitely Sunscreen and comfortable shoes and a water bottle In the summer months, loose fitting clothes. The heat can wipe you out fast especially young children.

Pack light for the park, they make small very useful backpacks nowadays that hold alot of stuff.

And remember you are on vacation so relax and have fun

gaffz70
05-06-2009, 12:01 PM
I would never have a Friday night be our last night again...all of the parks closed at 7pm...it had been raining that afternoon and I told my kids not too worry that it's their last night and we can go to the park as late as they want...:oops: that was a big mistake, everything was already closed what a disappointment (it looks like they changed that this year)

I didn't know that we could get a wake up call from Mickey - definitely doing this year

Lisaj13
05-06-2009, 12:18 PM
I read this somewhere:

Your group is only as happy as its crankiest member.

So now we take a break if someone's not having fun. It can be something as small as sitting and having an ice cream or as big as heading back to the pool. It makes a big difference.

Also, last time we were at WDW it was HOT! I had thought temperatures would be mild, it being October, but you can never be sure about the weather. As an afterthought I'd brought my youngest's fan. I was so glad we had it, it made life possible!

Niecyboo
05-06-2009, 01:21 PM
If you are traveling during rainy season, my #1 piece of advice is to bring 2 rain ponchos per person! During out first August visit, between the daily afternoon rain and the humidity, our ponchos never had a chance to dry out. We'd hang them up in the room in the evening, then repack them in the morning, still wet. If you have 2, you can leave one set to dry.

bostomco
05-06-2009, 01:22 PM
The number one lesson we learned is: know your limits. Our last trip we tried to literally everything in 5 days. It was completely whirlwind. By the time we got back home we needed a vacation from our vacation. This time we're going for 7 full days. Technically 8 as we'll arrive late the night before. We're going to be sure to slowly roll into our vacation this time!

Daddy Mouse
05-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Many of the things we have learned from our previous trips are:

Extras shoes for one that get wet because of the summer rain.

Handtowels for me that sweats like a horse.

Misting Fans

Snacks like trail mix while waiting in line instead of stopping and purchasing food.

I'm sure we have learned more but each time we go we try to experiment to see what works best for us.

Gregandmel
05-06-2009, 03:13 PM
I totally agree with all the posters. The only thing I would add is to bring a pair of dry socks per person in a ziplock baggie. We rode a water ride first thing and got soaked, and had to walk around with VERY WET feet the rest of the day. YUK! Otherwise - terrific thread! :thumbsup:

streets of paris
05-06-2009, 03:16 PM
I wish I believed just how popular Toy Story Mania really is. It defies reality - take it's popularity seriously!

JabberJaws
05-06-2009, 04:02 PM
One or two things I forgot to mention in my last post:

Bring your own breakfast food. Most WDW resorts have fridges. Trust me it will save a lot of time, money and hassle to have your own breakfast stuff.
When possible, eat lunch outside of the parks, especially on hot, busy days. This gives you a break from the crowds and heat and lets you relax.
Save money anytime you can. Get free cups of ice water at QSF&B spots rather than a bottle of water. Eat breakfast at McDonalds rather than your resorts breakfast place. If rain is a possibility, bring your own ponchos rather than buying mickey ones. Etc.

Tinkerbelly84
05-06-2009, 06:59 PM
I had what I thought was an awesome viewing spot for wishes. I picked out my spot about a half hour before hand. I picked a spot on the bridge coming out of tomorrowland closest to the castle. Then wishes started and I realized that the rushing water behind us was louder then I realized and we were too far away from any of the speakers. Then the fireworks started and they were not as high as I remembered them being so the large tree completely blocked most of the show. Then literally the couple inches away from my boyfriend and I got engaged. I had to laugh I couldn't hear wishes, I couldn't see wishes and someone else got a ring lol. Oh well things happen. The following night we tried again but this time we chose the other bridge.

crltkcagle
05-06-2009, 07:48 PM
i wished i would have known how bad the lines for the buses are at park closing.

PrettyMinnie
05-06-2009, 08:30 PM
I have some pretty big ones. The first time we went we stayed off property and noticed all the advantages of the guests staying on property. Not having to drive, the EMH the bus service. On property is the way to go!
Next is FP. On the same trip we went to Universal first. I don't know if any of you have gone before but you have to buy FP. They call it something else too. It's $70 a day per person and you can only FP one ride a day. It was a total rip off. When we went to WDW we assumed it was the same way (we know now it's not) and didn't FP anything. We learned the last night at 8 PM how WDW FP work.
Our trips since have been much smoother. :mickey:

dtootsie42
05-06-2009, 09:50 PM
Wear comfortable shoes and don't wear new socks. One daughter wore new socks and got a whopper of a blister.

We go in December and always have a sweatshirt available for the evenings. We learned this after freezing one night in the parks because we forgot to bring a sweatshirt on sweater. We ended up having to buy sweatshirts.

Dec. 1997---Contemporary
Dec. 1999--Poly
June 2000--Disneyland
Dec. 2001---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2003---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2005---Poly Concierge
Nov. 2007---Poly Concierge
Oct. 2008--DisneyLand
Next trip Dec. 2009--Poly Concierge

Disney Doll
05-06-2009, 11:17 PM
1. A toddler can get completely drenched in those pop fountains at MK and EPCOT. Bring a swimsuit or a change of dry clothes.

2. Always pack a wide variety of clothes. It can get hot enough for shorts in January or cold enough for scarfs and gloves. You never know.

3. A hooded poncho is not going to keep the rain out of your face. Also bring a hat with a bill to wear under your poncho.

MickeyandTink
05-07-2009, 12:05 AM
As many previous posters said, bring ponchos.

However, unlike our first trip, don't bring big heavy duty ones. While they may be slightly more effective and will last for the entire trip (if not for years), they get VERY HEAVY after lugging them around in a backpack all day (especially when you have 4 or 5 of them). Get the cheap disposable ponchos (about 50 cents to a dollar each). One per person per day should be plenty.

beksy
05-07-2009, 12:10 PM
I am a planner. I love to plan trips and have my spreadsheets and little laminated cards all prepared. I learned years ago not to let that planning run everything. On the last trip to WDW with Dad, he decided that we were going to Fantasyland first and then move to Liberty Square and so on, completing all the rides we wanted to do in each land before moving on. This did save backtracking but we wasted a lot of time waiting in long lines. Plus, all I wanted to do was ride POTC and we didn't get to it until that night. I spent all day rushing through rides so I could get to the one I wanted and just didn't have as much fun as I should have. I now know that if there are rides someone is dying to do, go and do them! You can go back to an area if it gets really busy. Plans are great but leave room for spontaneaity (sp?) and it is a lot more fun. Last trip we wasted a lot of time criss-crossing parks but we used FPs and did the things we wanted and it was SO much better!

Also, the little strings for glasses that go around your neck are wonderful. They fold up to next to nothing so are easy to carry and only take a minute to slip on while you are waiting in line. Before I took my glasses off because I was afraid of losing them and missed out on so much since I can't see a foot in front of me. Last time I wore my glasses on every ride and it was like riding some of the thrill rides for the first time! My glasses didn't come off anyway but the extra security of those little strings was nice.

Finally, take advantage of package delivery. It is so much easier than carrying all the bags around all day and you don't have to wait until the end of the day to get something you really want but don't want to carry around. Don't wait until you're packing to go and get the stuff from the shop though. I found out that I needed more room than I thought and had to re-pack everything! :mickey:

Disney Doll
05-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Get the cheap disposable ponchos (about 50 cents to a dollar each). One per person per day should be plenty.

I agree with using the cheap disposable ponchos, but I reuse the same one the whole trip and sometimes even on the next trip. Unless it tears there's no reason to use a new one each day. That just seems wasteful.

prttynpnk
05-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Finally, take advantage of package delivery. It is so much easier than carrying all the bags around all day and you don't have to wait until the end of the day to get something you really want but don't want to carry around. Don't wait until you're packing to go and get the stuff from the shop though. I found out that I needed more room than I thought and had to re-pack everything! :mickey:

This is so great- I used to feel like I shouldn't even go in the shops, because the idea of carrying stuff was just too much to bear!

Mushu11756
05-07-2009, 04:10 PM
Don't stress out about seeing everything or doing everything there is to do in WDW! It may be imposable to do in a 5 to 7 day vacation but it will give you something to look forward to and see on your next trip to WDW!:mickey:

artyboy
05-07-2009, 04:11 PM
If you like it, buy it when you see it!

I have spent entire days trying to remember "where did I see that again?"

And drink plenty of water!

mickeys_princess_mom
05-07-2009, 08:38 PM
I agree with using the cheap disposable ponchos, but I reuse the same one the whole trip and sometimes even on the next trip. Unless it tears there's no reason to use a new one each day. That just seems wasteful.

Two works for us. Gives one time to dry completely, especially if you go back to the room for awhile, then venture back out.

mickeys_princess_mom
05-07-2009, 08:44 PM
. I now know that if there are rides someone is dying to do, go and do them! You can go back to an area if it gets really busy. Plans are great but leave room for spontaneaity (sp?) and it is a lot more fun.
the first time!

Love the spontaneity advice--very true. A loose plan is helpful, but being flexible keeps it relaxing. Let the magic happen!
I cracked up reading about the packages--so true! We had to mail our shoes home one time! :blush:
Now we try to do most of our shopping the first few days so the packages have time to get back to us..:shop:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Don't think everyone in your group has to stay together 24/7. It's ok to split up to do different things then meet up later.
Drink lots of water so you don't dehydrate even when you don't think it's that hot.

kemps@wdw
05-09-2009, 11:48 PM
I wish that all WDW adult guests would realize that you can't do it all in 1 day! Then maybe they would stop literally dragging their obviously tired and unhappy children from attraction to attraction with no thoughts of courtesy to them or others!

Daddy Mouse
05-10-2009, 08:43 AM
We haven't been to WDW since 2004, when DS was wrestling down there and DD played in a softball tournament. We've done nothing but travel with wrestling and softball teams since. Now they have moved on DW and I get to go back for our 25th. Since our last trip we have had to alter our trip planning plans. Yes, we have a plan to plan. Much of it has to do with ADRs.

1. Prioritize your ADRs what is most important to you.

2. Get ADRs for the full service restaurants, be flexible (ADR forLe Cellier may have been filled for Monday, but Tuesday has openings.) In 04 we planned our days and then made ADRs. Now we're finding some ADRs tougher to get.

3. Try to plan eating during the afternoon rain during the summer. It usually rains about the same time everyday.

2lilboys
05-10-2009, 07:21 PM
We just returned from a great trip to Disney. One thing we did on this trip was to enjoy some "alone" time in the parks. The whole family would all go to the parks in the morning and then return to the hotel at noon for lunch and the kid's naps. While our toddlers were taking their naps each day, DH and I took turns staying in the hotel room with them. The other person would go back into the parks solo. It was so much easier to travel without strollers and the kid gear and we each enjoyed our time away. :mickey:

fabfundisney
05-10-2009, 08:15 PM
I wish I had known that if you are travelling with another family, make sure you are compatible. My family loves thrill rides. My husband's best friend and his family joined us a few years back on our very first trip to disney. I have to say, they must be the scariest family of all time. They only wanted to ride the kiddie rides and their kids at the age of 6 and 11 were deathly afraid of the characters...it was a disaster going with them!!!! :secret: