PDA

View Full Version : Summer Park Touring Tips: Beat the Heat (and the crowds)

TikiGoddess
05-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Hi all,

We're going to be in the World for 10 days this August. We're used to going in the summer (as Dh and I are both teachers) and know how hot it can get.

So, post your best "beat the heat" and touring tips here!

QUESTION: have you ever used a light colored umbrella in the parks to shade you from the sun? It seems like a good idea but I don't see many people doing it...

Kathy

faline
05-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Have a late lunch at a table service restaurant, return to your resort for some nice air-conditioned rest or time at the pool, then go back to the parks when it's a bit cooler in the evenings. If you time it right, your meal just might coincide with those almost daily summer thunderstorms!

Sunshine1010
05-03-2009, 04:37 PM
I could never do what you're doing. We've been in October before when it was 98 degrees all week and we thought it was too hot to be at the parks.

Resort pool swimming is more like our style in that kind of heat!

Anyhow....early morning visits to the parks, then back to the resort to swim (or nap and change clothes!), and then back to the parks. It makes for a long day,...but it's still refreshing to be in clean, dry clothes!

beksy
05-03-2009, 04:39 PM
It's been years since we went in the summer (can't take the heat!) but from what I remember we:
got to the parks early, stayed until lunch when it was getting really hot, went back to the hotel and took a break (swim, nap, etc.), had lunch, and got back to the park in early evening and stayed until closing.

While at the parks we drank a lot of water and ate cool snacks like Dole Whips, ice cream bars, etc. We would also share a light meal in a restaurant to get out of the heat if we weren't ready to leave yet.

The rides with water are great! IASW, POTC, and Splash Mntn in MK were wonderful! Something about being on the water just made you feel cooler! That's something I actually miss. KRR in AK would be good too. We also took advantage of indoor shows like CoP, Country Bears, Ellen, etc. for a break and to cool off. TTA works well too even though it's outside.

We used those little fans with misting action and also these bandana things that had special beads in them that would poof up when wet and keep you cool.

AK is the worst when it is hot so pace yourself there especially but just remember to drink alot, rest when you need to, and have fun! :mickey:

PrettyMinnie
05-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Drink water, try some indoor rides that may or may not have air conditioning but at least, you will be out of the heat and pace yourself. Good luck!!

Dulcee
05-03-2009, 06:22 PM
My family has always gone in July, this year DBF and I are heading down in June and his irish self is already panicking over the idea of the heat. Here's my survival tips from numerous trips.

1. Start early! The mornings in the summer can be lovely and you beat both the heat and the crowds.

2. Plan on breaks between 3 and 5 every day. This is the peak of the heat/humidity :fan: and usually when a thunderstorm hits. We always used this time to return to our hotel, shower off the sweat and relax for a bit before dinner.

3. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. :vacation:You'd be surprised how quickly you can get dehydrated in the parks. Bring water bottles and plan on buying more throughout the day.

4. Hats are always a good way to help beat out sunstroke and a must for men with short hair. Lots of sunscreen too. :sun:I've gotten some wicked sun burns in Disney when I didn't bother to reapply after a few hours.

5. Baby powder is a great way to beat the sticky humidity. My parents always used it in their socks/sneakers and I always liked to sprinkle a bit down my back when it started getting sticky, it absorbs all that extra moisture.

6. Ponchos! It will rain. :rain:Unless your content with sitting out every rainstorm stop at your local walmart and buy a couple light weight 99 cent ponchos before leaving. We usually buy enough for one per person, per day so we can just chuck them at the end of the storm. Raincoats are too heavy and warm to put on in the florida heat even in torrential downpours.

7. Enjoy the evenings. If you plan accordingly and take some down time in the late afternoon the florida evenings can be a lovely escape from the heat. Word of caution, bring bug spray if your walking the lagoon or in animal kingdom.

TheRustyScupper
05-03-2009, 06:43 PM
QUESTION: have you ever used a light colored umbrella in the parks to shade you from the sun? It seems like a good idea but I don't see many people doing it.

1) The wife bought a white parasol from the French pavilion.
2) She had it decorated by the artist.
3) Unless at night, she ALWAYS uses it at WDW for walking shade.

merlinmagic4
05-03-2009, 07:02 PM
I would definitely do the early morning, rest mid-day, evenings at the parks. There is nothing like a hot, summer night at WDW!!! I love it!

I like the misting fans. We forgot ours last month and bought two more. Now we have 3 for the next trip!

I think the longer trip is key. A week is not long enough. With the extra days, you can spend some time at the pool and not miss anything :) What does your itinerary look like? I'd love to stay 10 days and maybe someday we'll do that in the summer, too (my DH is a teacher, too).

Have a great trip!!!

SBETigg
05-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Get started early. Take a long midday break. Stay up late. Eat light meals throughout the day vs big meals (maybe skip the DP). Drink water. Seek AC when possible.

Never tried a parasol approach. While it seems like a good idea (esp, around WS), it might be a pain to deal with on rides. We do like the fan-misters, but again, kind of a pain to carry them around. The less we carry, the cooler we seem to feel.

IamBelle
05-03-2009, 07:11 PM
I have always gone to WDW in the summer,and am going again this year in Aug.
Here are some tips that work for us:

1.) In places like MK. it doesn't get too hot when you go from ride to ride, etc. If there are long lines usuallly on an attraction, go to it first in the morning or last at night, this way you 're not standing in the heat for a long time.

2.) I got this next tip from someone else on here and it works well. Instead of buying those spray fans, ask the CM if you can take some ice out of where they keep the spray fans, (they have never said no to us). Rub the ice in your hands. If your hands are cold, your body will keep cool.

3.) Drink lots of water!!

4.) On my last trip, we went to the parks in the morning, ate lunch, then went back to the hotel in the afternoon to swim and take a break, then we went back to the parks at night.

5.) This year, we are trying to eat lunch around 12-1 pm, because that is the time of day when the sun is the hottest. If you can, try to be inside in the A/C around that time.

Have fun and keep cool!

mouseketeer mom
05-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Kathy,
We went on our first ever August trip last year and boy was I nervous about the heat and the sun. I am fair and don't do well with the heat and sun AT ALL. Luckily for us, we arrived the week before an approaching hurricane and it was overcast all week before the big rains started. That helped. I appreciated every cloud. It was still very hot, and the humidity was soaking. I don't think I dried out the entire trip. It was the grossest feeling ever. Add in the poncho and I could've cooked a meal inside of it.
My best advice is to take it slow, theres just no "pushing it" in the intense heat and humidity. You can start feeling sick awfully quick. Take it slow, drink alot, be happy with what you get to do..don't worry about what you don't. Easy, easy and slow. Be aware of how much you're drinking. Drink more than you think you should.
We are returning this August again, so as you can see, it wasn't bad enough to keep us away!
Have a great time, maybe I'll see you there!
Lisa
OH! As for the umbrella, I have never used one for the sun, but I have seen others doing it, and I plan on using one for our upcoming August trip. I picked up a small pink polka dotted one at the counter at Staples that supports Breast Cancer and has a SPF of 50. Its purse sized.

Daddy Mouse
05-03-2009, 08:35 PM
DW and I only go down in the summer because I am a teacher. One thing I do and I know it looks stupid, is to wrap ice in a towel and place it on top of my head. I do this while waiting in line. For some reason when my head was feeling cool, so I was comfortable.

Mousemates
05-03-2009, 11:12 PM
I would definitely do the early morning, rest mid-day, evenings at the parks. There is nothing like a hot, summer night at WDW!!! I love it!

I agree with both your advice and your sentiments. As for the OP, just do your best to stay out of the heat during the worst of the day (for us that means from about 2-5)...take a siesta/splash in the pool/catch a movie at DTD) ...and then head back to the parks for round two...one other word of advice I'd give you is to pick up a fastpass as your leaving...its nice to be able to walk back in and ride a big ride with no wait when you return to the park.

Iteachpc
05-04-2009, 12:54 AM
Here's a quick way to cool off in the intense FL heat.

Take a sit down and break and remove your shoes and socks. You will cool down very quickly if you let your feet cool off. So take a break, buy and ice cream, find a shady spot and remove those sweaty socks! Rest for a little while and then you'll be ready to go again!

Sunshine1010
05-04-2009, 01:55 AM
I've told my husband that little 'trick' for years. Just take off your shoes and socks and you will not believe how cool you will get. He tried it and has sworn by it since.

Also...a simple trick. A wet washcloth around the back of the neck.

Tigger&Stitch
05-04-2009, 04:39 AM
Another quick cool off tip is to run cold water over your wrists (undersides) - as your blood vessels are quite close the skin there.

PlutoPlanet
05-04-2009, 11:57 AM
We stay in a room with a freezer. The night before, I wet a washcloth and put it in a sandwich bag. I put the sandwich bag in the freezer. In the morning, I bring the bag with the frozen washcloth. The washcloth stays frozen for about 2 hours. I can use it like a block of ice on the back of my neck or on my forehead.

cfoshe
05-04-2009, 12:32 PM
We carry the resort cups. Before we leave we get a cold drink and then when we get back to the resort we have our cups for a cold drink with out having to go back the room first. But it also allow use to get water from the food stands with fountian drinks. They will supply you with free water in a cup with ice. We dump that into the resort cups and it stays cooler longer.

TheMartellFamily
05-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Drink lots of water and not alot of caffiene. Take every thing very slow. Take advatage of EMH morinig and evening when it is cooler. Take rests, go back to the room and swim, or take a cold shower. For the crowds we take advantage of the EMH and fastpass. The crowds are much more in the summer so if you are not used to it then do not be suprised. We just take our time. For meals we will eat earlier or later then regular times. For lunch it would be around 11:00 or after 1:30 for dinner it would be from around 4:00 or later after 7:00. This was the crowds are not as bad. If we do not do EMH in the AM we wait for a couple hours after park opens to get into the park so the rush is not there at opening.

twinboyz
05-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Great tips and advice. I agree totally on the shoes/socks thing. It really works!

I am excited to go in August and I think pacing yourself is key. We've changed our itinerary a thousand times already and I know it will change when we get there. I'm looking forward to coming back to the resort for a siesta and then returning later.

Thanks!:mickey:

jillluvsdisney
05-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Light weight clothing helps. Light cotton capris feel much cooler to me than blue jean fabric. I also try to wear lighter colored tops. Anything blck or very dark just seems to soak up the sun even faster. Bringing an extra pair of socks to change into it good also. Your feel so much better in dry, non sweaty socks. Always wear a hat. Avoid soda as a source of hydration. Stick to water or sports drinks. Eat light.

Tigger&Stitch
05-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Light weight clothing helps. Light cotton capris feel much cooler to me than blue jean fabric. I also try to wear lighter colored tops. Anything blck or very dark just seems to soak up the sun even faster. Bringing an extra pair of socks to change into it good also. Your feel so much better in dry, non sweaty socks. Always wear a hat. Avoid soda as a source of hydration. Stick to water or sports drinks. Eat light.

Absolutely true re: the dark clothing - the sun's rays do not bounce off dark clothing like they do off light/white clothing.

TikiGoddess
05-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Light weight clothing helps. Light cotton capris feel much cooler to me than blue jean fabric.

Plus the style police will arrest you if you're wearing jean shorts. ;)

Kathy

thejens
05-04-2009, 11:07 PM
We always plan time for the kids to splash in the fountains at Epcot or play at Donalds Boat or at the Boneyard. The adults drink a cool drink (and yes, take off our shoes and socks and dip them in the puddles) while the kids cool off. Next we change into dry clothes (and often less sweaty ones for adults) and head to a restaurant for a sit down dinner. This is what we do when we don't want to go back and forth from hotel to park. It works well. Le Cellier is a wonderful restaurant, it is dim and cool and a perfect respite from heat.

JabberJaws
05-05-2009, 10:32 AM
**Forgive me if any of these are repeats as I haven't read through the past posts**

One of the best (and cheapest) ways to beat the heat - Most QS spots in the parks will give you a free cup of ice water if you ask. And if you specific "a large cup of ice water" they will typically give you a massive cup of water. Great way to hydrate for free!
If you don't mind getting a tad wet, most of the parks have fun interactive water areas scattered throughout.
Club Cool (or whatever it is called these days) at Epcot is good for some AC and free mini cokes (though it was better when they had the snow machine)
Innoventions in Epcot is good for an AC filled break.
Stand on the observation bridge at SplM for a misting.
Take a ride on the monorail. It is a nice way for a scenic AC break.
The RR at MK is a good way to get some shade and a breeze.
GMR at DHS is a good AC filled break that typically has short(er) lines and 90% of the queue (except when really busy) is indoors.

There are more but I hope those help!