PDA

View Full Version : the barber on main street

crltkcagle
05-02-2009, 05:41 PM
I want to have my boys get their haircut at the barber on main street. Do I need to make an appointment and if so does anyone have the information? Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks

faline
05-02-2009, 05:44 PM
My understanding is you just go during their business hours and line up.

mudpuppysmom
05-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Yes, you just go during their hours, I believe 9-5 daily, and get in line (unless there is not one!). We have been doing this for a few years and when DS knows we're going to Disney he won't get his hair cut at home, instead he waits.

It is a fun thing to do -- even for adults! DS#1 promised DH that if he got his hair cut and a mickey on the back of his head in colored gel complete with mickey sprinkles that he would buy his dad ice cream.....well, DH did and the ice cream has yet to be realized by DH!!! DH did get TONS of looks and comments under peoples breath about his hair, but he just said, "hey, it's Disney and I'm on vacation!".....he didn't care!

I'd go early or be prepared to wait.....in December when we were there we waited almost 45 minutes for DS#2 to get his first haircut!

Tigger&Stitch
05-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Yep, they don't take reservations/bookings. Just queue up and hope for the best! Luckily, there is shopping right next door... :)

dmosher
05-02-2009, 07:54 PM
I did this on our last trip and it was fun ( though I do wish I had gotten the old guy that works there). As a word of advice, get there and in line early OR go during parade times. The que can be quite long and they have to go slow with kids so it takes a long time. Still, it is worth it for the pics alone!
:pipes:
D

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-02-2009, 10:12 PM
The "old guy" is Michel and he's been written about quite a few times in stories. He's quite famous.
They don't take appointments, you just wait in line. There are usually 2 barbers working and it moves fairly quickly. They are great with little kids.

mudpuppysmom
05-02-2009, 10:40 PM
Michal or Penny is who we always get and both are good! I will say that Michal did do a really fine job with DS#2 on his first cut -- he really made a big fuss over him. We talked as he cut and he said he really enjoys doing the little kids the most b/c they are pure joy......almost made me cry!

Penny was fun and helped DS#1 egg his dad on to get his hair "done"....it worked!

DANAM
05-03-2009, 11:00 AM
Be prepaired to wait. We spent over 2 hours here and there were only 3 people ahead of us. It is a wonderful experience that every little boy should do once but sadly we will not be waiting again.

Mousemates
05-03-2009, 11:04 PM
As others have said...you just get in line and wait...and sometimes the wait is a little long, but its lots of fun, and then (if you get the works) you get to sport your new "do" around the park for the rest of the day. I'm in my mid 40's and had a great time walking around the magic kingdom with spiked hair, mickey glitter and a Tennessee Orange Mickey plastered on the the back of my head. (and the actual hair cut itself wasn't bad either when I washed it all out and returned to normal). I say take the time to go, it will make for some great pics and long lasting memories.

candleshoe
05-03-2009, 11:09 PM
Get there right when the park opens and make a beeline there. We only had a 15 minute wait that way. All 3 of our boys had it done. It was great- we're doing it again next week when we go!

crltkcagle
05-04-2009, 04:19 PM
wow didn't realize that would be yet something else we would have to wait in line for. LOL so anyone else have experience with this? the mickey mouse shape in the back of the head is a really cute idea! what other things do they do?

PeterPan
05-05-2009, 11:39 PM
Also - no matter HOW busy they are or HOW many people are waiting, they will make you feel like you are the only person in the shop! A remarkable feat. Michael is the BEST BARBER ON THE PLANET, period. He is an artist - he could cut hair anywhere in the world, but he chooses the Magic Kingdom. I LOVE HIM! Never got a better hair cut in my life at ANY price!

zcrsdad
05-05-2009, 11:49 PM
Sounds like a neat treat for DS. What do the prices run?:mickey:

johnO
05-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Michael is a really good barber.

crltkcagle
05-06-2009, 12:24 PM
I was wondering the same thing.

Sounds like a neat treat for DS. What do the prices run?:mickey:

TracyL
05-06-2009, 07:24 PM
When we went, an adult haircut was $25 - this was a few years back and I'm not sure if it's less for young ones.

One important thing: unless something has changed lately, the barber shop has a beautiful antique cash register, and they use it. As such, they do not take credit cards. If you're concerned about it, ask up front.

1DisneyNut
05-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Now I found something new for our 8 year old son to do on our next trip. We have known the barber shop was there but never really gave much thought to it being one of those experiences a kid would probably remember forever. Glad I saw this thread. :mickey:

3kingeryboys
05-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Best thing we every did. Some of the best Pics we took on our trip. Michael is the Greatest. My Boys loved it and so did my DH they looked so cute together!!:mickey:

FamilyBand1
05-07-2009, 03:05 PM
The "old guy" is Michel and he's been written about quite a few times in stories. He's quite famous.
They don't take appointments, you just wait in line. There are usually 2 barbers working and it moves fairly quickly. They are great with little kids.

What are the stories about Michel? My son and I get our hair cut there often enough for him to remember us. I didn't know I was getting my haircut by a famous barber. :D