PDA

View Full Version : Amount of food on DDP

Live4WDW
05-02-2009, 12:07 PM
:mickey: Hello. My DW and I are heading down to WDW for a 6/7 stay, and have already decided on purchasing the DDP. I know this topic has been covered before so please bare with me.:) Thanks. :thumbsup: Is it really such a huge amount of food that comes with the table service meals. We are trying to decide between the deluxe plan and the regular plan. Deluxe of course being the only plan to offer appetizers, and the rest. Main thing is having the choice of 2-3 table service meals a day. Is it too much. My wife and I ( she will smack me for saying this) love good quality food. :eat: But if there is too much, we might just settle for the regular DDP. Part of the Disney experience for us is the excellent food. Thanks for any and all input available. My wife seems to think this will be me on the deluxe plan:medic: LOL! Thanks.

Seasonscraps
05-02-2009, 12:18 PM
I felt like :medic: on the original DDP back when appetizers were included...LOL The only way I would go with deluxe would be to have a 1 TS meal for breakfast or early lunch and then use 2 TS meal for a signature dinner or dinner show. I couldn't imagine 3 sit down meals a day.

princessesmom
05-02-2009, 12:40 PM
We used the basic DDP on our February trip, first time using a dining plan. I felt like it was a tremendous amount of food! I would never consider the deluxe. Though it does depend on your eating habits. If you want an appetizer with your TS meal, just order one and pay OOP for it. That is way less expensive than upgrading to the deluxe plan. We like to eat quickly in our cabin (FW) in the mornings, have CS for lunch, and TS for dinner. If you prefer a sit down breakfast and signature dining every night then the deluxe might be a deal. We could never eat like that for an extended number of days.

SBETigg
05-02-2009, 12:48 PM
We've used the regular DDP and the Deluxe. It is a lot of food, but not unmanageable amounts when you keep in mind that you're still getting your money's worth if you don't take advantage of every last snack and meal. We like to add Signature dining to the schedule and it cuts down on the amount of time devoted to dining. I prefer the regular plan over the deluxe. It's a lot of sitting down and eating on the Deluxe plan, even when all of our meals were signature meals. A big, heavy meal every night at WDW can really slow you down, even the next day.

I think the best bet is to plan out your days, think about where you would like to eat, and then pick the plan (or no plan) that best works out with your schedule, your eating style, and the way you do Disney.

DANAM
05-02-2009, 02:32 PM
We have always done the regular dining plan but for Christmas this year we decieded to try the deluxe plan. We have always felt like the regular plan was enough food but we are not big fast food eaters. I know there are other choices but we will be going for 9 days and I really don't want to eat burgers and fries that many times. We are doing quite a few signature places so we will only be eating 2 sit down meals per day. I think anything more than that would be too much. Plus we really wanted to try some of the amazing food I hear so much about here on Intercot.

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-02-2009, 03:26 PM
We've done the regular DDP a couple of times, and tried the Deluxe DDP on our last trip.

It was nice to try some new places, but even with a couple 2-TS meals, it was just way too much food, and more importantly, way too much time spent eating. It always seemed that we were rushing from one ADR to the next.

We're back to the regular DDP this time, and are planning on purchasing a couple of appetizers, if we see something we would like to try. :eat:

dancin Disney style
05-02-2009, 03:35 PM
[QUOTE=ibelieveindisneymagic;1880609]
It was nice to try some new places, but even with a couple 2-TS meals, it was just way too much food, and more importantly, way too much time spent eating. It always seemed that we were rushing from one ADR to the next.
QUOTE]

That seems to be a very common theme with the DxDDP.

We found the reg DDP to be too much food. We are doing it again this fall but we will only have a late CS breakfast and then a TS dinner. Most likely we will use the snack credits for bottled water and a few treats to take home. Hopefully, this will make the DDP work for us. The last time, by about day 4 we didn't want to eat anymore and it sort of ruin some of the fun.

JavaDuck
05-02-2009, 03:41 PM
We did the DDP plan during our trip last August and found it to be more than enough food. We used the CS credits for lunch and the TS credits for dinner. At the end of the trip we ended up buying snacks to bring back home since we did not use them during the week.

Like other posters, we did order appetizers at some of TS meals because we wanted to try something. I will admit some days I could have forgone the dessert, but boy were the desserts all yummy!

TheRustyScupper
05-02-2009, 04:39 PM
1) Take the regualt DDP.
2) Pay OOP if you want an appy.
3) The DxDP si just too much food if you get full value for the coupons.

prttynpnk
05-03-2009, 07:35 AM
We're trying the dx this time- mt strategy (shake your heads, experienced folk!) is a ts breakfast and then a 2ts dinner with a snack in the middle and lots of running around between. We'll report back from our bariatric clinic of choice after the trip.

wdw_bound
05-03-2009, 08:06 AM
We've done the regular DDP since it was introduced, and loved it for many reasons (pre-paid, trying new places each trip, etc.)

This past October, we upgraded to DxDDP, and thought it was great. Not something we'd do every trip, but something we'd do again. As for it being too much food, it really depends on the diner - we didn't always eat all 3 meal components - app., entree, dessert (I know that lessens the "money's worth" component, but even so we found it to be a good value).

Plus, with the deluxe, we were able to stretch the meal credits to include both arrival and departure day, have some great signature meals and I don't think a french fry was consumed during the trip.

We had a TON of snack credits left, but we do on the regular plan as well. We use them up on the last day to buy sweets for the kids' classmates and friends (rice krispy treats all 'round!)

Have a great trip! :mickey:

Live4WDW
05-03-2009, 08:52 AM
:mickey: Wow you all sure have come through with great experiences, and ideas!:woohoo: My DW and I have been discussing it and still have not made a concrete choice as far as which plan to choose from, however we are leaning towards the regular plan, and not the deluxe since it will be our first stay of any length in any of the Disney resorts. :dance: Oh, Thank Heavens for the first time!!! We could just dance the whole trip through. If We want to try the DxDDP, then we can always try it at on a future trip:joy:

DANAM
05-03-2009, 11:09 AM
We've done the regular DDP since it was introduced, and loved it for many reasons (pre-paid, trying new places each trip, etc.)

This past October, we upgraded to DxDDP, and thought it was great. Not something we'd do every trip, but something we'd do again. As for it being too much food, it really depends on the diner - we didn't always eat all 3 meal components - app., entree, dessert (I know that lessens the "money's worth" component, but even so we found it to be a good value).

Plus, with the deluxe, we were able to stretch the meal credits to include both arrival and departure day, have some great signature meals and I don't think a french fry was consumed during the trip.

We had a TON of snack credits left, but we do on the regular plan as well. We use them up on the last day to buy sweets for the kids' classmates and friends (rice krispy treats all 'round!)

Have a great trip! :mickey:

Great advise!!!!
I'm glad to see I can possibly go to Disney and not eat a french fry.

tinksmom02
05-03-2009, 11:26 AM
:mickey: Wow you all sure have come through with great experiences, and ideas!:woohoo: My DW and I have been discussing it and still have not made a concrete choice as far as which plan to choose from, however we are leaning towards the regular plan, and not the deluxe since it will be our first stay of any length in any of the Disney resorts. :dance: Oh, Thank Heavens for the first time!!! We could just dance the whole trip through. If We want to try the DxDDP, then we can always try it at on a future trip:joy:

I have only done the basic DDP, so I'm not speaking from experience, but I would think that for your first trip, the regular DDP would suit you fine. A lot of people here say (as they've already mentioned) that they seem to be running from one ADR to the next with the Deluxe DDP. I think that, if you want to maximize the DxDP, you would lose significant park time. That's just what I've read here, though, so I may be wrong.

As for us, we've done the DDP with and without the appy. I had thought we would miss it, but the only place it was an issue was LeCellier, and I just paid for the cheese soup OOP. :cloud9:

beksy
05-04-2009, 09:31 PM
I have only done the basic dining plan. We are not really into "fancy" dining so a lot of the signature dining just doesn't appeal. I do like to have an appetizer with my meal so I just paid oop for that. On our next trip we have a couple of days that we are doing a signature meal and are doing HDDR but we are going to stick with the regular dining plan and then pay for a couple of meals oop. It will still be cheaper and we will get to enjoy some of our favorite CS places too! I think it all depends on what your family likes to eat.

deedeebee
05-05-2009, 03:52 AM
We have always used the basic DDP and have not even thought about the Deluxe plan, not because of the amount of food but because of the time involved. It takes us about 1 to 2 hours to sit down and eat depending on the restaurant and multiply that by 3 and you get 3 to 6 hours a day lost, combine that with traveling time to and from and there you are at about 8 hours spent just on your tummy. What a waste of valuable touring time.

mouseketeer mom
05-05-2009, 06:48 AM
We love our food too, but my family has begged me never to do the deluxe dining plan again. It was a vacation that not only centered on eating, but it was continuous..it felt like pure gluttony. Never again.

Nini5055
05-05-2009, 09:20 AM
We are doing the DlxDDP and like it very much. We do however, space out our meals (we are making a conscious effort to do this). We also like using some credits for dinner shows and 2 credit restaurants.

We generally eat 3 meals per day at home and see no reason why we should not on vacation. Do we feel the need to clean our plates at every meal? No Do we feel we have to eat everything offered? No Does it make the value of what we bought less? Don't really care...I am on vacation Do we eat appetizers and dessert at home? Nope...but again, on vacation and I could be wrong but there are no appetizers or dessert at breakfast. LOL...ok, maybe there are dessert things. :D

I don't go to disney to have my dd7 eat cereal in the hotel room. I'm not one to scrimp and count pennines on my vacation...I do that all year long so we can go and enjoy our vacation. As the one who makes breakfast, lunch, dinner...I want to be waited on while on vacation (that is just me..not everyone!). That said, I also believe that the DlxDDP is not for everyone...especially those whose kids are at the 10 year old cutoff. We didn't try DlxDDP until last year during free dining when we upgraded...and we loved it!!!

It just reminds me of a book I read when I was a girl "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" (I think that was where the grown up gave the girl a cup of coffee like everyone else. It didn't matter if she drank it or not, it was hers and she was given her share like everyone else. Sometimes the girl just sat and held the cup of coffee enjoying the warmth and smell. It doesn't matter to me if we eat everything we get.

I firmly believe that everyone must do what they feel is best for their family. I am happy to hear that you decided on what is best for yours. :thumbsup:

prttynpnk
05-05-2009, 10:09 AM
We generally eat 3 meals per day at home and see no reason why we should not on vacation. Do we feel the need to clean our plates at every meal? No Do we feel we have to eat everything offered? No Does it make the value of what we bought less? Don't really care...I am on vacation Do we eat appetizers and dessert at home? Nope...but again, on vacation and I could be wrong but there are no appetizers or dessert at breakfast. LOL...ok, maybe there are dessert things. :D

I don't go to disney to have my dd7 eat cereal in the hotel room. I'm not one to scrimp and count pennines on my vacation...I do that all year long so we can go and enjoy our vacation. As the one who makes breakfast, lunch, dinner...I want to be waited on while on vacation (that is just me..not everyone!). That said, I also believe that the DlxDDP is not for everyone...especially those whose kids are at the 10 year old cutoff. We didn't try DlxDDP until last year during free dining when we upgraded...and we loved it!!!

It just reminds me of a book I read when I was a girl "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" (I think that was where the grown up gave the girl a cup of coffee like everyone else. It didn't matter if she drank it or not, it was hers and she was given her share like everyone else. Sometimes the girl just sat and held the cup of coffee enjoying the warmth and smell. It doesn't matter to me if we eat everything we get.

I firmly believe that everyone must do what they feel is best for their family. I am happy to hear that you decided on what is best for yours. :thumbsup:

I'm with you- my vacation is about indulgence- even if it's just about ordering things I'm not sure about or not able to finish. I don't want to feel restricted in my choices.

bostomco
05-05-2009, 01:36 PM
We did DDP on our last trip and, although it is a good amount of food, it's worth the in my mind. I looked at how much we would have spent on food without the plan and I think we saved at least $10 everyday (even eating a lesser amount). Beyond that it was really nice to not even look at the prices of things at the restaurants! :party:

Nini5055
05-05-2009, 01:59 PM
Well, my dd7 has grown-up tastes...she does prefer most seafoods (mussels, shrimp, clams, salmon...etc) over chicken fingers.

That makes the choice for the DlxDDP easy for me as I am able to order some of those extras that I know she will especially enjoy (like shrimp cocktail) and that she does not normally get the opportunity to have at home (we don't eat out much at home...maybe once every other month).

We also tend to be more adventurous with our eating...especially my dd7...she will try anything once!!!:thumbsup: However, she is very particular when it comes to her clam chowder!!!:D