PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed in some homeowners values

thrillme
05-02-2009, 10:46 AM
I'm really upset right now and I guess I got to get it out somehow. (Rather long):cry:

Every year for the last 7 years my DS has been on a neighborhood swim team. Our neighborhoods are kinda of all grouped together 1, 2, 3 and we pay dues to respective associations. Our pool at neighborhood 1 is too small for a swimteam, the pool at 2 is PERFECT. For the last 15+ years they've had a swim team which has produced several excellent swimmers and divers that have gone on to compete for district or preform. Others...it's just gotten the kids away from the X-Box all summer.

I've seen kids shape up, I've seen kids who could barely make it across the pool without grabbing onto the side to catch their breath actually learn multiple strokes and swim a marathon at the end of the season. I've seen 3 year olds swim better than most adults. I've seen shy kids make friends and feel they were part of something.

But none of that's enough. They've canceled it because ONE or TWO way too powerful board members didn't like the fact that "outsiders" were able to join the team (it was just an "excuse" for whatever reason he hated having a swim team...no real reason ever given...just a "Seagull" mentality). Those belonging to the particular association got FIRST choice, primary choice...even if they were full...there was aways a way to fit a homeowner in. At LEAST 1/3 of the team were home owners. If anyone didn't participate...it was because they didn't want to.

The swim team paid for their own coaches and lifeguards. They cleaned the pool, paid for ropes, paid for diving blocks etc. They asked for NOTHING from the homeowners funds for any of this. They used the pool for practice BEFORE it opened and for two evenings (usually on a Monday when pool attendence was at it's lowest) in a six week period for a meet (the pool is available for parties). The main lady that ran the team coordinated EVERYTHING between OTHER associations for competition etc. Did it ALL voluntarily.

Outsiders were even willing to pay MORE for the priviledge.

People all over complain that kids these days do nothing except play video games . The kids are getting fat and lazy. More kids are having HEALTH problems from lack of exercise. ONE primary person was able to vote down the whole thing. (Yes I have some good information that it was ONE primary...not a whole lot of people get involved in the committee...2 or 3 all powerful board members get to make the decisions for the entire community).

Right now as I type this I'm betting the many of the homeowners aren't even aware of it.:(

I hope this person is PROUD that they are hurting a lot of kids this summer. They've not only hurt members of their OWN community but also the competition schedules of OTHER associations since we were part of a "league". I guess that's something to brag about.:mad:

garymacd
05-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Grrr!

Non-swimming types!

Grrr!

TigChatt
05-02-2009, 12:27 PM
I would try and have people petition that it not be cancelled. If it is doing the kids good then FIGHT for the kids. Have the kids let themselves be heard that THEY want this and love this. Don't take this as the final answer. Get all the homeowners and outsiders to support this. This is just wrong on this ONE persons vote!!

Ian
05-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Huh. I'm not sure I understand the whole thing, but from what I can gather the neighborhood has a homeowner's association that is responsible for controlling the community pools. Is that right?

And then the homeowners association is run by a board of 2 or 3 people, right? That's how ours works anyway.

But typically board members don't have any real power. They can easily be pushed around and out-voted by a majority of the community members.

Just organize everyone into a town meeting, call for a vote, and if the guy refuses to cooperate then explain to him in no uncertain terms that this is the last time he will serve on the board for your community and, by the time you're all done with him, he'll be lucky if he can land a job at the local McDonald's managing the night shift!

Georgesgirl1
05-03-2009, 07:32 AM
That's awful. Swim team was always my favorite activity of the summer (besides the trip to Disney of course), and I would hate to know that kids were missing out on that experience because of one Scrooge. I would say y'all need to fight this decision!

1DisneyNut
05-03-2009, 10:13 AM
I agree with the others. Make some flyers and get the community organized. Involve the kids in it and allow them to distribute the flyers as this will invoke emotion. You will also have a great since of pride seeing the kids fight for their team. Have a community meeting and have petitions signed to have a community vote. If the board member makes a stink about it, circulate another petition to have a special community meeting to remove him from the board.

Aurora
05-04-2009, 10:21 AM
I agree with all the above posters. Get two or more other parents to help you organize so it's not just you making a stink (manipulative bullies can turn things around on you if they think it's only one person organizing).

If you get nowhere this way, call your local newspaper or TV station and have a reporter cover your meeting.

Be ready to hear other people (besides the original board members) say the homeowners' association is under no obligation to let "outsiders" use their facilities. This isn't a fight about legal obligations, but about what's right for the kids. It will be your job to show everyone else how it will work, because LOTS of other people will try to tell you how it won't.

thrillme
05-07-2009, 09:19 AM
We're working on it. We've got our homeowners association talking to their homeowners association.

We'll see what goes down from there.