PDA

View Full Version : Getting donations for a chinese auction

julyjewel
05-01-2009, 02:26 PM
We are having a class reunion in Aug. We plan to have a chinese auction but aren't sure about how to see about getting donations. Any help would be appreciated.

NotaGeek
05-01-2009, 02:48 PM
What is a "Chinese auction"? I would imagien if you are looking for donation items you would just have to start canvassing businesses in the area and ask for help ... it might be a hard call in this economy...

Jfamily
05-01-2009, 03:17 PM
I just got finishing on working on two different events with Chinese Auctions. First thing you need to do is come up with a letter on letterhead asking for the donation,date of event and contact person. Send out to all your local businesses(stores, restuarants). If you have muesums, sport teams, amusement parks and what ever you come up with send them out.
Just remember you need to ask to get the donation
Good Luck

PirateLover
05-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Yes, the best thing is to come up with a formal letter asking for donations and send them out or personally hand them to business owners and attendees of the reunion. We just had one at our school that was wildly successful and we've had some for our local church. Teachers make baskets, local places offer gift cards/certificates/tickets. And to Michael, a Chinese Auction is just basically a huge raffle. There are a few different ways to run it but basically you have a bunch of different prizes and people take chances on them.

Hull-onian
05-01-2009, 06:37 PM
If you hand deliver your letters and ask in person, you will get the donations. Look them in the eye, be extremely polite, and you will get what your asking for. It works, I have done it. Good luck to you and your group.

I am doing a fundraiser this Saturday night, before I leave for Disney at 6:30 a.m. Sunday morning. So far it has sold out and the donations are coming in.

Prayers and Pixie dust to all of you.:cloud9: