PDA

View Full Version : First Night Dinner Tradition, Ruined

fabfundisney
04-28-2009, 04:17 PM
I've decided to book a last minute trip to the world. I need to get away and Disney is just the place to be.:cloud9: It has been sort of a tradition of our family (dh,ds7,dd9,dd11) to visit Chef Mickey's on our first night to kick off the vacation. However, I've been on the line with Dining on and off all day today and there is no availabilty in sight!! :( Can anyone suggest a new place to dine on our first night? They are going to be excited regardless but I guess now's as good of time as any to make new memories. Please help.....

SBETigg
04-28-2009, 04:30 PM
There are a lot of family fun places to dine instead of Chef Mickey's.

Consider:
1900 Park Fare, a character buffet at the GF.

'Ohana (but it might be an equally tough ADR to score)

Whispering Canyon Cafe at the WL

Grand Floridian Cafe, Kona Cafe, or The Wave for a subdued meal in the Seven Seas Lagoon area.

Cape May Cafe, a buffet at the Beach Club

japhilli
04-28-2009, 04:31 PM
If you're looking for a character dinner. What about 1900 Park Fare??? Your daughters would love it.....your son would enjoy it too.

fabfundisney
04-28-2009, 04:36 PM
Off hand, are your suggestions part of the dining plan? I forgot to mention that important tidbit.

SBETigg
04-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Off hand, are your suggestions part of the dining plan? I forgot to mention that important tidbit.

Yes, all are one TS credit on the dining plan.

tink179
04-28-2009, 05:19 PM
I would also suggest 1900 Park Fare or Ohana's. Both are wonderful and tasty! MMMM wish I was there right now!:mickey:

wdwfansince75
04-28-2009, 07:05 PM
1900 Park Faire is a great choice. It is uniquely Disney, has characters, and is, IMHO, the best buffet on site. And it gives you an excuse to ride the Monorail, another of our "First Night" traditions.

We have also done Trails End on our first night. It is the lowest cost buffet on site, nice location, and only a boat ride away from MK.

dixielandings
04-28-2009, 07:12 PM
Are you trying to find a place not in a Park? If so, I agree with Whispering Canyon and Cape May - DH and I loved both of them.

If you can be in a Park, try Garden Grill in Epcot (The Land). Great food served family style, plus Mickey, Chip, Dale, and Pluto. Good fun.

I also LOVE LOVE 'Ohana but admittedly more for breakfast.

Kairi_7378
04-28-2009, 10:42 PM
I like the suggestion for Garden Grill if you're able to do a park that night. I'd also consider a meal at Teppan Edo or San Angle Inn in Epcot.

For non park options, I'd consider Kona Cafe or Boma. 1900 Park Faire would be a good bet, too.

thejens
04-29-2009, 12:40 AM
Does Crystal Palace serve dinner? It would be a perfect first night for me, but I have only been for breakfast. Boma at Animal Kingdom would be different and fun to see the animal and explore the lodge. The Poly choices are great though since you could watch Wishes from the beach if you time it well. I'll bet the kids would enjoy hotdogs from Casey's as much as anything!

Maleficent_vf
04-29-2009, 12:44 AM
Have you considered the Hoop-Dee-Doo? No characters, but there is a crazy/corny show. I believe it is 2 TS on the DDP.

The Garden Grill at EPCOT is a nice character meal (MM, C&D and Pluto)...I think they serve dinner, but not lunch. It's on the DDP.

PixieMagic
04-29-2009, 02:53 AM
Definitely OHana's (it's our first night tradition and oh so fun!) and again, 1900 Park Fare! WOO HOO!

I'm so sorry you didn't get your tradition, but you could always make a resi for a back up and call several times a day trying to get Chef Mickey's?? Maybe someone will cancel and it'll open up....just a thought?

Either way, good luck, and remember ever day at Disney (no matter how out of tradition) is better than no day at Disney!! Ha ha! :mickey:

dmosher
04-29-2009, 06:04 AM
I agree. While traditions are great, why limit yourself? PIck one you want to try and maybe say "our first night we will try a new restaurant" make that your tradition? Just a thought.
:pipes:
D

Nini5055
04-29-2009, 08:53 AM
I would go with one of the many that other's have suggested. :thumbsup: We are doing 1900 Park Fare dinner our first night. I know what you mean about traditions as I always make a point to eat breakfast at Crystal Palace every single trip.

You might want to be flexible with your tradition...try to get into Chef Mickeys for one of the days of your trip...not necessarily the first night. Sometimes being flexible helps get that elusive ADR. :thumbsup:

Thejenns... YES...Crystal Palace is open for Dinner!:thumbsup:

mudpuppysmom
04-29-2009, 01:50 PM
Here's yet another vote to try O'hana, for characters. If you are not totally set on characters, but the theming, then maybe Kona.

If you can go into a park -- Crystal Palace.

I'd keep trying up until you go for CM....you never know! But, it's always good to have a back up plan.

pamickeys
04-29-2009, 04:17 PM
don't feel bad, we're staying at the Contemporary and we can't get in to Chef Mickeys for breakfast OR dinner!

brownie
04-29-2009, 05:16 PM
Traditions are good, but don't let it ruin your trip before you've even arrived!

Some other options would be Ohana's, Rose & Crown, Hollywood & Vine, Mama Melrose's, or the Garden Grill.

dancin Disney style
04-30-2009, 01:21 PM
While all being great places, most of the mentioned restaurants are hot tickets and would be very difficult to get an ADR at the last minute.

How about an evening at DTD? T-Rex is getting great reviews. Wolfgang Puck is also really good. If you want a more casual meal Earl of Sandwich and WP express are both excellent choices. You can follow your meal with some shopping or a nice stroll around the marina.

Laughin' place
04-30-2009, 01:39 PM
I like most of the suggestions other posters have made, but I'm thinking most of the more obvious and popular choices might be booked up already.
Here's a somewhat unconventional suggestion -- Old Key West. It's good seafood, has non-seafood options, and has a certain atmosphere. Even tho we arent DVC members (yet...), the place has pictures of DVC members all over, and there are lots of other touches that makes it feel like "home" at the World. Im not explaining it very well, but every time we have gone, we've felt a....connectedness? Like we are coming back to a home away from home sort of thing.... Anyway, good luck and have fun

Goes4FastPass
04-30-2009, 02:02 PM
There are a lot of family fun places to dine instead of Chef Mickey's.

Consider:
1900 Park Fare, a character buffet at the GF.

'Ohana (but it might be an equally tough ADR to score)

Whispering Canyon Cafe at the WL

Grand Floridian Cafe, Kona Cafe, or The Wave for a subdued meal in the Seven Seas Lagoon area.

Cape May Cafe, a buffet at the Beach Club

I like this list a lot. Depending on where you are staying using one of those typical Central Florida van type taxis may be a good transportation approach.