PDA

View Full Version : Oxyclean for laundry stains?

alphamommy
04-28-2009, 02:32 PM
DD9 has managed to "ruin" several pairs of socks, and has ground dirt into the cuffs of a couple shirts and a coat. I'm trying to figure out some way to remove the stains.

I've seen commercials for Oxyclean where Billy Mays talks about using it for laundry stains. Has anyone tried this? Is it okay for non-cotton fabrics? Colors?

If not Oxyclean, what else can I try?

Thanks!

Ed
04-28-2009, 03:03 PM
Much as I despise Billy Mays :sick:, I'm a confirmed Oxyclean believer.

We've been using it for several years on lots of tough stains, and haven't been disappointed yet. We've used it on a wide variety of materials and colors with no problems EXCEPT when yours truly decided it might work better if I scrubbed it into a stain on one of my DW's red blouses. Bad idea. It acted like sandpaper. DW got a new blouse out of the deal, and I learned a lesson; just apply it like a very wet paste and leave it alone for a while, then wash normally!

We even use it on our off-white berber carpeting (bad color choice for a Florida home!); we mix it with very hot water, let the granules dissolve fully, then use it in the rug cleaner. Does a great job.

Hey - - - I sound like a salesman! Move over, Billy! There's a new pitchman in town! :D

MickeyandTink
04-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Much as I despise Billy Mays :sick:, I'm a confirmed Oxyclean believer. [/I]:D

We had the opposite experience. Oxyclean was a complete waste of money for us. I should have remembered my old standby rule. If it looks wonderful on TV and everybody in the audience loves it, it probably doesn't work and is a complete waste of money.

WDWDale
04-29-2009, 08:03 AM
Usually if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Certainly looks good on tv but those are staged circumstances.

As for what helps, I've been a Tide user all my life and its more than enough to keep socks looking clean or anything else for that matter. Perhaps the 2x ultra Tide will work...just don't use too much. ;)

alphamommy
04-29-2009, 08:44 AM
As for what helps, I've been a Tide user all my life and its more than enough to keep socks looking clean or anything else for that matter. Perhaps the 2x ultra Tide will work...just don't use too much. ;)

I also use Tide, but that hasn't worked at all. I've washed all the clothing items in Tide numerous times with basically no change in the stains.

Maybe I should try pouring it right on the stains?

Wells
04-29-2009, 10:43 AM
Oxyclean works well only on organic stains, anything like grease or oil is not affected.
Not to gross anybody out..:sick:..but.....
I have cats and those of you who also do know that cats love to barf! And they also will go out of their way to do it on carpet! (tile and linoleum just isn't good enough!)
Anyway, Oxyclean is the only thing I have found that will effectively remove the vegetable dyes that they use in dry cat food.

caryrae
04-29-2009, 10:50 AM
What about Borax? I have never used but haven't people been using that for years and years to clean cloths? Does that work good?

VWL Mom
04-29-2009, 01:10 PM
I also use Tide, but that hasn't worked at all. I've washed all the clothing items in Tide numerous times with basically no change in the stains.

Maybe I should try pouring it right on the stains?

I've been lucky pretreating stains with Tide. Unfortunately, if the stain is missed and the item goes in the dryer, the stain is pretty well set.

Jeri
04-29-2009, 05:45 PM
Try soaking it in Biz. My Aunt owned a dry cleaners and she swore by Biz.
I usually soak it in it overnight.
I also found that Shout Advanced works good too. you spray it on and let it sit overnight, or you can leave it up to a week. They say you can do that on the bottle. I have only left it a few days. This has worked to get stains out that have been dried in the dryer. In fact the bottle says it gets out set in stains.

TheDuckRocks
04-30-2009, 09:34 AM
I also found that Shout Advanced works good too. you spray it on and let it sit overnight, or you can leave it up to a week. They say you can do that on the bottle. I have only left it a few days. This has worked to get stains out that have been dried in the dryer. In fact the bottle says it gets out set in stains.

Yeah, and my moisturizer bottle says that it will get rid of my wrinkles.:thedolls:

I'm sorry I couldn't resist. But seriouly I think Shout is great.

pandkx3
04-30-2009, 09:43 AM
As a mom of three football playin' boys, I'm all to familiar with stains. For me oxyclean works wonders....anything that can get ground in grass stains out of white football pants gets an A+ . For really diffulcult stains, I soak in a sink with warm water and oxyclean. It usually works for me.:mickey:

alphamommy
04-30-2009, 10:00 AM
Try soaking it in Biz.

THANK YOU! I had forgotten all about Biz! My mom used that for everything, and I had been trying to remember what she used.

I'll have to but that on my grocery list.