PDA

View Full Version : Human/Swine/Avion Flu case in WDW

johnO
04-28-2009, 11:39 AM
Swine Flu Case Confirmed In Orlando
Posted: 10:41 am EDT April 28, 2009
Updated: 11:30 am EDT April 28, 2009

"ORLANDO, Fla. -- Eyewitness News has learned of Orlando's first confirmed case of swine flu. According to the chief medical officer for Adventist Health System, Loran Hauck, the case was diagnosed Tuesday morning.

"A case was diagnosed here in Orlando today on a tourist from Mexico who came to Disney attractions two days ago to visit," Hauck wrote in an email obtained by Eyewitness News.

No further details have been released, but Eyewitness News is working to learn specifically what days the tourist was at the parks and which park the tourist went to.

Details about the tourist, beyond being from Mexico, have not been released.

Eyewitness News contacted the Orange County Health Department late Tuesday morning. They said they were unable to confirm the report.

Disney told Eyewitness News late Tuesday morning that they have not received any confirmation about a swine flu case involving a guest.
Copyright 2009 by wftv.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed."

Anyone going to WDW needs to be careful and mindful that this guy could have spread this to other guests and castmembers. The media is refusing to call this flu what it is. It is not simply 'Swine Flu' this is a mixture of Human, swine and bird flu and extremely dangerous.

Gregandmel
04-28-2009, 11:51 AM
I wondered when this would start. :ill:

Everyone going soon: - just use common sense and be careful!! Best of luck - I hope this doesn't put a damper on anyone's plans!! :(

kid@heartforever
04-28-2009, 12:13 PM
Not good news at all!:mad: We are supposed to be there May 22- June 5. This is exactly what I feared. Now if it's comfirmed how do you take a chance of bringing your family on vacation to a place that may be infected????

johnO
04-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Not good news at all!:mad: We are supposed to be there May 22- June 5. This is exactly what I feared. Now if it's comfirmed how do you take a chance of bringing your family on vacation to a place that may be infected????

Kid, keep a close eye on how things develop. You've got some time between now and when you leave. If things worsen in the WDW and Orlando Area you might have a problem. If they remain quite and no more cases appear in the area you should be fine.

The way the Fed. Gov. is handling this isn't very promising. It looks like It's going to be allowed to spread throughout the nation without any precautions being taken such as screening tourists from south of the border.

#1donaldfan
04-28-2009, 12:25 PM
...how do you know your grocery store, mall, gas station staff are not infected and passing it to you "today"....who knows where it'll go next or when it'll "pass"..... until it's a "thing" I'd still go, just be somewhat aware of those around you....:thumbsup:

gauvin4
04-28-2009, 12:28 PM
We are scheduled to leave next Tuesday. Last night my DS15 was just panicking about this. Now I'm starting to get nervous. :mad:

disneyfan328
04-28-2009, 12:46 PM
I am all set and ready to leave and now this???? Do we go and use hand sanitzer and clorox wipes and try to have fun or cancel the trip for fear that we could end up with this?

If we go what other kind of precautions should we take????

MushuGrl
04-28-2009, 12:47 PM
For what it's worth, there was a doctor on the news this morning. She said so far all confirmed swine flu victims in the US have only showed LIGHT cases of it, and it most instances are already on their way to recovery before they are diagnosed.

She also had some great tips - don't touch the handles of the sink after you've washed your hands - use a paper towel to shut them off. Also use your elbow to punch the elevator buttons.

There was more but of course I forgot them. She was on CBS This Morning so it might be on their website.

kid@heartforever
04-28-2009, 12:48 PM
I am all set and ready to leave and now this???? Do we go and use hand sanitzer and clorox wipes and try to have fun or cancel the trip for fear that we could end up with this?

If we go what other kind of precautions should we take????

These are my questions exactly! Problem is I don't think anyone can give us any answers!!!:mad:

Tinksalot
04-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Just be sure to wash your hands!! I've heard washing your hands is better than using hand sanitizer. :thumbsup:

Dulcee
04-28-2009, 12:54 PM
These are my questions exactly! Problem is I don't think anyone can give us any answers!!!:mad:

You should take the same precautions as you would during a normal flu season. Wash your hands often, especially while in the parks where your hands are going where other's have been.

If someone is sneezing/coughing excessively sit on the other side of the bus.

Make a conscience effot to keep your hands away from your eyes, mouth and nose and watch you kids to be sure they are trying too.

And try to remember that just because a single case may have been found at WDW doesn't mean everyone is going to get it. As I belive was previously mentioned most of the cases seen outside of Mexico have been relatively mild, comparable to flu symptoms seen from the more common flu strains this year and MANY of the infected indivduals needed no hospitalization or anti-viral medications and were found to have the virus while in the recovery stage.

We get hit with new virus strains every single year, this one, while it does contain avian and swine genes also contains human genes which gives your immune system a hand in fighting it off. I wouldn't cancel any trips at this point, just be more aware of hygeine while in the parks and on the public transportation.

dreamfinder55
04-28-2009, 12:56 PM
The regular flu on average causes 35,000 deaths a year around the world.:ill: Go have fun but just be careful.

Polynesian Dweller
04-28-2009, 12:58 PM

They are actually through things like handwashing frequently, not touching your mouth until you've washed, don't go out if you feel ill, get medical advice quickly etc. The important thing is to listen to the messages from the health authorities and follow them. If things need to escalated the authorities will tell you that. But the most important thing we all have to do is not panic so we can correctly hear the messages the authorities are giving.

Also, remember that papers will sensationalize. That's why its important to hear the message from the authorities about what is the correct thing to do and not to automatically believe the media. And keep perspective, outside of Mexico, this is still a mild disease. The medical authorities in our various countries have learned from SARS to react early and are taking this seriouslly and can be counted on to tell you what is appropriate and what the situation is.

TheVBs
04-28-2009, 01:05 PM
A big thank you to those who gave calm, rational responses to this! :thumbsup: We leave in 3 days and unless something changes DRASTICALLY, we most definitely will not be changing our plans. :mickey:

While discussing this topic, it might be thoughtful to consider how your responses may impact the people who are heading for WDW in the near future. Free speech and all, of course, but I think we should temper it with some thoughtfulness and not contribute to any potential panic, or panic driven actions.

The CDC has a very informative site up on this! We will be keeping up to date on this issue, through that site only, and following the advice accordingly. :D

animalkingdomguy
04-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Sorry folks just got this from the Orlando Sentinal, the reported case of Swine flu at WDW is not confirmed.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/orl-bk-swine-flu-central-florida-042809,0,4733584.story

It's still premature the report swine flu. Swabs were sent to the CDC and aren't due back with results for 48 hours.

princess0511
04-28-2009, 01:14 PM
I am very worried about taking my two year old to Disney next week! We are traveling by plane from Michigan. Everyone is saying handwashing is the key and keep your hands away from your face and mouth. I am just worried about my two year old since he always has his fingers and hands in his mouth. :confused: I just am going to try and think positive and still have a great trip!

Stu29573
04-28-2009, 01:15 PM
Actually, in healthy people swine flu looks pretty much like regular flu...and has about the same dangers. Don't panic, use normal to slightly above normal caution, and have a good time.

dancin Disney style
04-28-2009, 02:02 PM
A big thank you to those who gave calm, rational responses to this! :thumbsup: We leave in 3 days and unless something changes DRASTICALLY, we most definitely will not be changing our plans. :mickey:

While discussing this topic, it might be thoughtful to consider how your responses may impact the people who are heading for WDW in the near future. Free speech and all, of course, but I think we should temper it with some thoughtfulness and not contribute to any potential panic, or panic driven actions.

The CDC has a very informative site up on this! We will be keeping up to date on this issue, through that site only, and following the advice accordingly. :D

My thoughts exactly.....I'm a health care worker and if the majority of people new about all the possible virus' that are around no one would leave their house. You can't live in fear of what might happen. If you are a strong healthy individual and WASH your hands the odds are you will not catch anything. You would be amazed at how much proper hand washing can do.

MNNHFLTX
04-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Folks, we already have an ongoing discussion on this topic in Vacation Planning, so I'm going to close this thread and direct all responses to the other thread:

Swine Flu--what does that mean for Disney? (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=153904)