PDA

View Full Version : Good-bye my Satchie!

garymacd
04-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Bad News!

Our Satchie is now waiting for us at the gates of Heaven.

A couple weeks ago, I noticed a lump under his front arm on his chest. I got him to the Vet this past Monday. Tuesday, we got the test results back. He had a highly agressive, malignant form of Lymphoma. Even with Chemotherapy he might only last three months - and it could kill him because of his bad heart. Without Chemo, he would only last three weeks to three days.

This past Friday, after a nice walk, breakfast and lots of treats, he lay down with me and basically told me, "It's time, Daddy." Our daughters and various boyfriends were able to say good-bye before we took him to the Vet.

We took him to the Vet at 11:30 and he went to sleep. The Vet told us we did the right thing. One more day may have been too late since his circulatory system was already shutting down.

We are all heartbroken, my beloved wife more than anyone, since she spent the most time with him. This was one of the hardest things I have ever done, other than writing this post, but it was also the best thing I could have done for my friend.

Love your pet while you have them.

TiggeRia
04-27-2009, 09:18 PM
I am so sorry for your loss-putting our dog to sleep was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. Pets are truly part of the family. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time.

Marilyn Michetti
04-27-2009, 09:26 PM
I hope Satchie is playing with my sweet Bentley.:paw:

SBETigg
04-27-2009, 09:35 PM
I'm sorry. You did the right thing for your Satchie but I know how you must ache with missing him. Hugs to you and your family. :hug:

kakn7294
04-27-2009, 09:36 PM
I'm so sorry. It's tough to lose a beloved pet. They become such a part of the family. :hug: to you and your family.

mrsgaribaldi
04-27-2009, 11:08 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sure that Satchie is playing with Bentley and I'm sure that my little man Mr Garibaldi has his nose poked into the fun too. It makes me feel good to know we will see them all again and they will be healthy again when we do.:sadwave::hug:

vizsla
04-28-2009, 05:14 AM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

RedSoxFan
04-28-2009, 07:32 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss.:(

Georgesgirl1
04-28-2009, 07:57 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. Pets really are part of the family. I still miss my dog that we put down 5 years ago.:grouphug:

yjgirl32
04-28-2009, 08:24 AM
I am so sorry for you loss. We had to do the same thing for CoCo. She had gotten bone cancer when she was three in her back leg- but survived until she was 11 and the cancer came back and we decided to put her to sleep. That was so hard. I still gt choked up when I think about it and it's been 6 years. Great big hugs to you and your family.

MNNHFLTX
04-28-2009, 08:26 AM
I'm so very sorry to hear about Satchie. I know how hard it is to say goodbye to those special members of our family. :(

Mickey'sGirl
04-28-2009, 08:31 AM
I am so sorry for your loss, and hope that Satchie is comfortable now.

We had a ferret named Sherman, who developed lymphoma, and it was awful for him. You have made a very good, difficult decision.

DizNee143
04-28-2009, 08:38 AM
i am soooo sorry...i know how hard it is to do this..here is a poem i got on intercot back in 2007 when i had to put down one of my doggies..

Letter from Pet Saying Thank You & Goodbye

May I Go?
May I go now?
Do you think the time is right?
May I say goodbye to pain filled days
and endless lonely nights?
I've lived my life and done my best,
an example tried to be.
So can I take that step beyond
and set my spirit free?
I didn't want to go at first,
I fought with all my might.
But something seems to draw me now
to a warm and living light.
I want to go
I really do.
It's difficult to stay.
But I will try as best I can
to live just one more day.
To give you time to care for me
and share your love and fears.
I know you're sad and afraid,
because I see your tears.
I'll not be far,
I promise that, and hope you'll always know
that my spirit will be close to you
wherever you may go.
Thank you so for loving me.
You know I love you too,
that's why it's hard to say goodbye
and end this life with you.
So hold me now just one more time
and let me hear you say,
because you care so much for me,
you'll let me go today.

Author: Susan A. Jackson

garymacd
04-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Thank you all for your kind words. Satchie was really a special dog. A Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who had been through two homes before us. I can't understand why anyon would not want to keep him. I am just glad he came to us for his last few years. We really tried to make him happy, and he enriched our lives in so many little ways. We sit here waiting to hear his tags clink or a bark at the door at passing dogs, even his snore is missing.

We will get used to it, I'm sure, and he will be with us at WDW when we leave next week. Our youngest daughter has taken his collar and tags and attached them to her purse.

Kairi_7378
04-28-2009, 10:57 PM
(Hug)
So sorry for your loss. I just lost my 13 year old cat and I understand that our pets really are family.

MickeyMousse
04-29-2009, 12:08 PM
So many hugs go out to you and your family for your loss. :hug::hug::hug:

We went through a similar situation with our Harmony. She was diagnosed with malignant bladder cancer in 7/01 and had most of her bladder removed. We decided that we didn't want chemo due to the side effects and relied on her telling us when it was time.

She did on 11/6/01. I believe that she stayed with us specifically to be with me for the last trimester of my pregnancy when I was placed on mandatory bedrest and to be there for the birth of DS#2. Once she saw that everything was going to be ok, it was time for her to become our angel. :angel:

Love your pets!!!

Mickey91
04-29-2009, 02:44 PM
So sorry you lost your beloved pet. Hugs and pixie dust to you.
:pixie::tink::hug::hug::tink::pixie:

brownie
04-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Sorry to hear about the loss of your pet. They really do become part of the family, so it's tough when we have to let them go.

laprana
04-30-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm so, so sorry for your loss. It's such a hard decision to make, I know. Our pets are so special and it's so difficult to let them go! Sending you some :pixie: to help you through your loss.

DisneyDog
04-30-2009, 10:19 AM
I am so very sorry to hear about your loss. We lost our beloved Sneakers to dementia 2 1/2 years ago. He was 14, and my best friend. We had another dog who was 11 at the time. We thought we would have a few good years with just him as an only dog. But, a few months after we lost Sneakers, Tango's back leg started to drag. It turned out he had a degenerative disease, and his muscles wasted away until he was paralysed and we had to send him to the Bridge too. He left us exactly a year to the day after Sneakers. December 21st will be their day to share in our memories -- although I think about them every day.

We now have a cat and a new dog -- both rescued. It's a completely different life now. Sneakers and Tango were wonderful, but barked a lot. Leo the cat and Muffin the dog (mixed breed) are very calm and relaxing and love to cuddle. So, life does go on. I will always miss my Corgi Boys, but things are good again now. I love the pets I have and my heart has healed, and so shall yours. I'm sure you'll always carry your wonderful memories with you, and you will always love him.

Princess'Mom
04-30-2009, 10:34 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. It is very difficult to lose a family member. I got teary eyed reading your post. Thank you for sharing Satchie with us.

DisneyWhirled
04-30-2009, 03:46 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. I am sitting here with tears right now, because of your beautiful post and expression. The poem "May I go" added additional tears.

I am struggling right now with a 15 year old kitty that I just adore. He has diabetes, which we have controlled with insulin shots for three years, but now he has started peeing in random places. I spoke to the vet and we are trying antibiotics in case he has a UTI, and increased his insulin, but DH won't be able to take much more if this continues and these changes don't work.

garymacd
04-30-2009, 09:05 PM
We now have a cat and a new dog -- both rescued. It's a completely different life now.

Pets seem to affect all of us, but what is it about rescue animals?

Do they know their luck? Do they understand the extra chance they are given to love and be loved? We rescued Satchie about five years ago and believe we made a good, happy home for him. He also made our home a fuller place.

I miss him. But, life does go on. My beloved wife says the house is so quiet without him. I guess we will be looking for a new dog when we return from WDW in May.

garymacd
07-28-2009, 01:47 PM
Well. we did it!

A few weeks after our return from WDW in May, I contacted a breeder in Parry Sound, Ontario. The house was so deafeningly quiete without Satchie. We talked for over an hour, emailed a few times. She informed us that her latest litter of Cavalier King Charles Spaniels were all spoken for, but would put us on the list for her next litter. She also had a friend with a litter in Barrie and she might have one left.

She called about a week later to inform us that one of her male dogs was supposed to go to a breeder/shower in Ohio wouldn't be going, so she had a dog for us if we wanted him.

The next Monday, Barbara, our youngest, Hillary and I took a long road trip to Parry Sound and picked up the cutest little bundle of fun you have ever met! Jack (yes, named for the Pirate) is now a well established in our home.

We actually met up with the breeder this past weekend and had the feeling she wanted him back to put him on show. Glad she didn't ask, because I don't think I could take the separation.

I don't know how to post a picture here, but trust me, he is cute. We still miss our Satchie, as we miss all our friends: Happy, Corkie, Snowball, Rufus, Pepper and Shortcake.

MNNHFLTX
07-28-2009, 05:29 PM
I was so glad to see your follow-up post! Congratulations on the addition of Jack to your family--I'm sure he will bring you lots of joy, just like Satchie did! :dog:

TheVBs
07-28-2009, 06:41 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. :( You had to make a very difficult and painful decision, but you did the right thing. I have no doubt from reading your posts that Satchie was very well loved and knew it!

faline
07-28-2009, 06:58 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. I have been down that road and know how hard it is!

clou1028
07-28-2009, 06:59 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. It's never an easy decision to make, it when it's the right thing to do.

Satchie was lucky to have such a loving family.

clou1028
07-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Well. we did it!

Congratulations on your new addition to the family. :)

Dsnygirl
07-28-2009, 08:08 PM
I'm so sorry you had to go through this -- we had to do the same thing two weeks ago with our Calvin, and it about broke our hearts. But, you did it with love and were a wonderful dad to do what was best for him, and he was very lucky to have you and your family for his own. I hope he has met up with our Calvin and Kramer, who we had to put down 2 years ago... I'm sure they are all telling stories and playing together.

Just noticed your most recent post - congratulations on your new addition!! :)

Lizzy
07-29-2009, 12:08 PM
I'm sorry for the loss of Satchie. But like in my situation I am sure Satchie would be happy to know that the love you shared with him didn't get lost with his passing, that you can share it with another.

I put my beloved Bonnie (blue merle sheltie) down a few years ago. I actually posted about it here. Thank you again Intercot for getting me through that. I still get teary eyed when I think of her. But my son was young, and I had already been offered another dog by a breeder friend. Turned out she was available that same afternoon. It was hard to do so quickly. But Princess (my son named her that day) has wormed her way into my heart with all her quirky ways. I now have 4 dogs, Princess (tricolor sheltie) her son Tony (blue merle sheltie) Dora (newcomer tricolor sheltie) and Brian (white with black spots american bulldog, dalmation, pointer, pit, something or other, big lug)

I keep my Bonnie's ashes on my dresser and I know that she is happy with my decision to give my love to these guys as I did her. She will always be the "Special one" but I am glad that I have all the furkids to fill the empty space.

DVC2004
07-29-2009, 08:51 PM
I am so, so sorry for your loss! Satchie was obviously well loved and had a wonderful life. He was lucky to have such loving parents!

garymacd
04-11-2010, 12:48 AM
We have now had Jack for close to a year and he is just the sweetest, most loving dog you could ever want.

When we went to Parry Sound to pick him up from the breeder, she introduced us to her family of dogs: Jack's grandmother CeeCee, his aunt Darcie, his mother Megan, his cousin and a distant relative that has no real analogy in human families.

Loving dogs as we do, we sat on the floor and played with these beautiful dogs. Jack's aunt, Darcie, looked at Barbara, and slowly climbed into her lap and cuddled for about ten minutes.

We jokingly said, "If you're ever thinking about placing Darcie after she is retired from the show ring and breeding, we'll take her."

About two months ago, Linda called us and said they had decided to place Darcie. She needed a quieter family for her final years and, knowing us as she did, she thought of us first. It was a hard decision for her and her husband to make, but they felt it was best for her.

So, about two weeks ago, we again made the long trip to Parry Sound (home of Bobby Orr, by the way) and picked up our second Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.

As a side note, four days after we picked Darcie up, Linda called and said that their oldest dog had passed. A really tough week for them.

After a few days of feeling each other out, our two dogs are now inseparable. We met up with Linda again today as well as one of Jack's littermates. They all had a good play together.

We know we won't have Darcie for a long time, probably four or five years, but we will give her a happy, walk- and play-filled home for whatever time she has left.

mrsgaribaldi
04-11-2010, 09:59 AM
That is so nice. The dogs don't know how lucky they are to have found you. :mickey:

Mousefever
04-11-2010, 04:27 PM
I'm glad you've found some new doggies to fill your lives.

Amy

DVC2004
04-11-2010, 08:46 PM
So glad to hear you have some new companions!