PDA

View Full Version : Backpacks vs Fannie Packs

5 Mousekteers
04-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Just wondering from IHEARTDISNEY's poll on fannie packs, what is the preference of WDW guest for transporting personal items in the parks. Do you favor the backpack or fannie pack.
I like the convienence of the backpack to stow the camera, water bottles and items purchased while in the parks.:spend:

DANAM
04-26-2009, 05:44 PM
I love the messanger style bag.

g8rgirl29
04-26-2009, 05:55 PM
I prefer a small shoulder bag, my DH always carries a fanny pack and we have an insulated stroller bag. A backpack is too heavy and hot for me but we may end up switching to this method once we no longer have the stroller to lug the heavy stuff.

LuvsTigger80
04-26-2009, 07:28 PM
we just carry a shoulder bag. We tried a backpack with our first trip, didn't really like it. It was much easier to use our carry on bag then to bring a whole different bag with us.:mickey:

caryrae
04-26-2009, 07:33 PM
Since it's just my wife and I we don't carry much of anything, so I choose neither. I do use one of those neck pouches. They are like a wallet that you hang around your neck, works great. I keep the money, tickets, credit cards, fast passes, ect and just keep it under my shirt, nice and safe. Also cargo shorts work great with all the pockets, I will keep ponchos in the pockets just in case.

Seasonscraps
04-26-2009, 07:33 PM
I use a wristlet - it holds everything I need for a day in the park (cash, camera, cell, ID, etc). I don't like lugging lots of stuff around the park.

TennesseeTink
04-26-2009, 07:53 PM
I have a messenger style Baggalini that I absolutely LOVE! Tons of pockets, light-weight, and waterproof.

Daddy Mouse
04-26-2009, 08:10 PM
We like to use a backpack. We carry basic first-aid items, camera, lens, eyeglasses, water bottle and ponchos. It is light enough for us to carry without it being too combersome. The backback we use is rather on the small side.

twink61
04-26-2009, 08:22 PM
I'm a dork, use both. :mickey: :pooh:

mickeys_princess_mom
04-26-2009, 09:55 PM
Small backpack to keep things organized and easy to find. It's all about the pockets! :secret:
I find if I carry a big bag I have to fish for things, and I don't want the hassle. Have really streamlined what I bring to the parks, though. Less is definitely more, and so much is available in the parks that I carry as little as possible. We usually shop during the early days of our visit and send things back to the room . :shop:

Mousemates
04-26-2009, 11:28 PM
utility belt = fanny pack

tjstrike
04-26-2009, 11:58 PM
Jansport backpack for us, no fannypacks here !! :noway:

Tigerinvestigator
04-27-2009, 12:19 AM
neither........bags=long waits for security:thumbsup:

Mickey91
04-27-2009, 08:49 AM
We usually have both. The back pack makes it easier to carry essentials like sunscreen,cameras, etc. and the fannie helps me keep my money and autograph book handy.:mickey:

RAIDER
04-27-2009, 08:50 AM
Neither if i could get away with it ...But i always have a small rucksack for odds and ends like ponchos etc

animalkingdomguy
04-27-2009, 09:16 AM
Backpacks are large, make your back sweat, don't stow easily and are a nuisance in a crowd. Personally a backpack belongs in schools or on the John Muir trail and not in WDW.

poeticeclipse
04-27-2009, 10:00 AM
I have a messenger style Baggalini that I absolutely LOVE! Tons of pockets, light-weight, and waterproof.

I second the Baggallini! Mine is lime green. DH LOVES IT as well and will carry it around the parks without complaining. It's much more comfortable than a regular backpack and not as unfashionable as a fanny pack.

Like TennesseeTink said, it's light-weight, lots of pockets, and waterproof. I also love the water bottle holder on the side. I will never own a bag that doesn't have that feature. It also "looks" smaller than a regular backpack. But, because of the way that the pockets are made, you can fit LOTS into that bag if you have to. I don't suggest it because then it will stick out kind of far but... at least you know that you can fit two hoodies in there if you need to. :)

I used to own an amazing regular backpack that I got when I was in junior high. It was from Old Navy and it had TWO water bottle nets on the sides and also a clasp on the front was a "push light." So, if you were in a big crowd with a family member that runs off a lot, you can strap the backpack on that person and turn the flashing light on. It just let off a nice red blinking light. Sadly, I lost this bag and cannot find it. boooo! :(

Charlee
04-27-2009, 10:24 AM
Another vote for neither - I carry a small messenger bag that fits wallet, camera, and a small bottle of sun screen. Its small and convienent and only has one compartment for bag check. Its also very easy to take on rides.

DNS
04-27-2009, 11:20 AM
I just use a purse with a long shoulder strap so I can cross it over my shoulder.

DisneyCouture
04-27-2009, 11:30 AM

I definitely agree with the Baggalini. I can't go to WDW without it. It's small enough to carry around without feeling your back is going to give out, yet big enough to store everything you need as well. Mine is also lime green which helps if you get lost in a crowd.:)

EeyoresBestFriend
04-27-2009, 12:45 PM
Both DH, DB and I all carry fanny paks.

Outdated ~ I know, but they leave my hands free for dolewhips, crepes and death clutching on rides!! :D
We carry our water and cameras on the belt of the pack. :thumbsup:

Never been one for stuff on my back and never been worried about being fashion statement :D

mudpuppysmom
04-27-2009, 03:08 PM

We're dorks too.......

We have two small kids though, so that is why (need diapers, wipes, bottles, food for DS#2 [protein allergy, so he's hard to feed], water for us, camera).

We were almost to the point of just fanny packs and then I went and had another kiddo! So, we're stroller people once again for a few years:D

Sweetpea29488
04-27-2009, 03:48 PM

Me too:mickey:

I switch from day to day. If my shoulders are hurting then it's time for the fanny pack (I like to refer to it as a waist pouch)

Hull-onian
04-27-2009, 04:05 PM
I voted backpack. I keep ice cold water in bottles in it, and it keeps me cool. I keep other stuff too.:thumbsup:

Nini5055
04-27-2009, 04:46 PM
On past trips I have used a fannypack...I'm not sure what the whole "bump" issue is about as I wear mine in the front or sometimes over my shoulder. I just never knew they were SO awfully unfashionable.:confused:

I had considered getting a backpack this year (so did my mom) but after searching for the perfect backpack, we realized that we did not want to lug a ton of stuff around. Plus, neither of us will use a backpack for anything else.

So...I am currently on the fence about what to do this year myself. :confused:

divinedi
04-28-2009, 09:59 AM
I used to just use a lanyard with a pouch with tickets, small amount of cash etc. I now have a small (very) purse with a long strap that hangs on my shoulder and across my chest, so it doesn't keep falling off. It's very handy, carries what I need. It does require going through security, but I've never found it to take too long. No backpacks, way too much to carry and hot, and fannypacks are wonderful, not worried about the fashion police, we are on vacation people!, but I just find them uncomfortable to be honest, no doubt as I am a bit pooh sized.

disneydreamer1970
04-28-2009, 02:33 PM
It is a backpack for us! With a 2 year old, we have a few supplies that we need to bring. The great thing is that it will fit in the basket under the stroller and we can just grab it when going on a ride or into a restaraunt, so no one has to carry it around on their backs the whole time.

Trish

BriarRose
04-28-2009, 02:42 PM
I use a small cross-body purse. My husband does bring a backpack, but it's just to get things into the park. We always get a locker and stow it until we need something from it.

Pagan
04-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Neither. I fit everything I need in my camera bag.

Most people are concious of where their backpacks are, but there are always those who aren't.

Nothing more infuriating in the parks than an oblivious person wearing a backpack turning in circles in a tight area and banging the thing into you. :mad:

PrettyMinnie
04-28-2009, 03:11 PM
Everyone in our family uses their own drawstring bag. Basically you are responsible for your own money, phone, camera ect. (Since the youngest is 11, it's resonable)

On our last trip the girls bought draw string bags with different characters on them (Minnie Mouse, Pooh, Tigger) and the guys have Nike or other sports on them.

Imagineer1981
04-28-2009, 05:30 PM
another vote for NO FANNY PACKS...wow are they 80s/90s and UGLY!!!

cindchan
04-28-2009, 09:05 PM
I have a fanny pack (though I prefer waist pouch, as it does not sit over my "fanny" ^_^)

It works for me, as there is only me. I keep my glasses, wallet, and hand sanitizer in it. My camera pack is held in place by the pack strap. As for water, well that's what the water strap is for. ^_^ A backpack for me would be too bulky and troublesome.

minnesotafreeze
04-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Please no fanny packs. I do not understand where people purchase them since I see them all over at WDW. Is there some 80's store that I am not aware of that only carries unfashionable clothes? I vote for backpacks.:mickey:

dmosher
04-29-2009, 06:15 AM
This debate has been raging for some time and I will just say, backpacks are more manageable, easier on and off, safer and better to look at (more fashionable). Unless your going to climb, Expedition Everest, leave the fanny pack at home.
:pipes:
D

Daddy Mouse
04-29-2009, 09:07 AM
I still like backpacks. DW and I will take turns with it. Yes if I wear it it make my back sweat even more than normal. I sweat like a horse anyway. One thing in our backpack are some wipes just in case I begin to get too ripe :D I don't want to offend people around me.

DizNee143
04-29-2009, 10:26 AM
for a while i would always go with a backpack..but one of the mini ones..and then i moved to my coach purse backpack...but then for my honeymoon in oct..i use a tote bag..and OMG i fell in love with using a tote bag..ill be using that for a while now..:mickey:

GrumpyFan
04-29-2009, 10:52 AM
How about a "Both" option. When we go, we will carry both a small backpack, as well as a fanny pack. And, depending on the day, and what the weather looks like, we will carry one or the other. Occasionally, we will carry both into the parks. One of us will carry the back, and the other will wear the fanny pack.

BTW: I'm a guy, and I don't have a problem wearing the fanny pack. I actually like carrying the fanny/waist pack, because I can put our tickets in there, my camera, some gum :secret: a small container of medicine for headaches or nausea and extra batteries, and it doesn't make my back sweat.

I really don't understand why people have such an issue with them. No, they're not the most attractive accessory. But, then I don't really care. When I go to WDW, I try to dress for comfort and functionality. I'm not really concerned what others think about how I'm dressed.

iheartdisney
04-29-2009, 11:50 AM
I just posted this on the other fanny pack thread but I wanted to share here, as well!....

Fanny Packs are back!

People, May 4 2009 issue:
"Typically associated with overweight tourists wearing Hawaiian shirts, fanny packs are suddenly hip, thanks to celebs like Madonna (who wore one on a March trip to Malawi) and John Mayer, who hailed the lumbar bag on Twitter as "one of the best inventions ever!""

Take that, you nay-sayers! We fanny pack wearers are really trendsetters!

MickeyMousse
04-29-2009, 11:50 AM
Honestly, I really hate to carry anything anymore-since my DS's are older now and I can get away from hauling diapers, wipes, etc...

But I voted for backpack-a small one. Enough to pack some water, snacks, camera and sunscreen.

Jeri Lynn
04-29-2009, 07:15 PM
I don't use a fanny pack, but I use what I call a hip-pack, it's in the front of me not the back of me, so I can go on rides without have to remove it.

MaxPower
04-29-2009, 07:17 PM
Fanny packs are easier, but I prefer a back pack.

Minnie97
04-29-2009, 07:25 PM
Me and my mom use fannie packs most of the time.:mickey:

hardingella
04-30-2009, 04:31 AM
:silly::silly: Fannie pack? sounds funny. in the UK we call them bum bags!!!
Anyway, i vote for backpack. I fill mine full of 'just in case' stuff. Most of it never gets used, but it keeps me happy, as long as DH carries it!

Tigger&Stitch
04-30-2009, 05:19 AM
I use a wristlet - it holds everything I need for a day in the park (cash, camera, cell, ID, etc). I don't like lugging lots of stuff around the park.

Both of these sound great! Any tips on where to find either one/recommended brands? :tigger:

GrmGrninGost
04-30-2009, 05:43 AM
We often carry BOTH! The fanny pack stays with us all the time, while the backpack may sometimes be stored in a locker until needed.

TennesseeTink
04-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Both of these sound great! Any tips on where to find either one/recommended brands? :tigger:

I got the Baggalini online at BagsBuy.

poeticeclipse
04-30-2009, 10:19 AM

I got mine at Ebags. I think you get a certain percent off for signing up to ebags.com and then you get like $10.00 off if you use google checkout. Something like that... It's been a while since I ordered mine so I don't totally remember.

There are two different kinds of Baggallinis. I think I have whatever one is cheaper. haha.

poeticeclipse
04-30-2009, 10:45 AM

Alright, I did some digging and I would go with BagsBuy over EBags at the moment.

BagsBuy has the ripstop nylon on sale right now for $37.45. Which is 17% off the regular price. They also have free shipping going on. AND, if you use the code "save10" you get 10% off on top of that and also another 10% off for registering with BagsBuy. Your grand total will then only be $24.70! Great Deal!!

Tigger&Stitch
04-30-2009, 04:27 PM

Alright, I did some digging and I would go with BagsBuy over EBags at the moment.

BagsBuy has the ripstop nylon on sale right now for $37.45. Which is 17% off the regular price. They also have free shipping going on. AND, if you use the code "save10" you get 10% off on top of that and also another 10% off for registering with BagsBuy. Your grand total will then only be $24.70! Great Deal!!

Wow - thank you!!! :mickey:

johnO
05-02-2009, 12:54 PM
Usually I just go with the camera bag. I'm thinking about getting one of the small backpacks this year though that the camerabag can fit into. The two shoulder straps have got to be more comfortable than the single.

ryca1dreams
05-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Anyway, i vote for backpack. I fill mine full of 'just in case' stuff. Most of it never gets used, but it keeps me happy, as long as DH carries it!

I had to look this up on a "English slang" site I refer to for traveling - that is a little funny. Anyway, I don't use either. Just cargo shorts - and not "jorts". Have I answered these already???

Daddy Mouse
05-03-2009, 08:43 PM

Bum Bags sounds more like a diaper. :D

It seems as if most of us on here prefer backpacks.

spoiledraf
05-03-2009, 09:48 PM
A very light draw string back pack. we don't take much into the parks but it's nice to have somewhere to stow something you buy.

zcrsdad
05-04-2009, 09:13 PM

Thanks, just ordered mine!!! I hope my SLR camera fits but return shipping is free through BagsBuy so no problem if not.:thumbsup:

brownie
05-05-2009, 07:41 AM
A good pair of cargo shorts/pants will carry everything I need. The best is a pair of zip-off cargo pants that can convert to shorts.

sweetsavannah
05-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Just got back from our first trip and I drove myself nuts trying to figure out what to carry. One day I did the Overland Equipment Donner...hurt my neck and shoulder. One day we did the Jansport backback...too hot. Tried a small backback...great when I could convince my DD7 to wear it, which she did most of the time but I had to keep bugging her to get stuff out of it. The best option? A wristlet. It held my camera, our cards, a sunscreen stick and some wet-wipes. Perfect. I got mine on Etsy.com and I will continue to use it whenever possible (I realize sometimes you need to carry more stuff). I also find it amusing that people seem almost offended by fanny packs. I don't know about anyone else, but I didn't care what other people were doing/looked like!! I was just there to have fun!:party:

BrownEyedGrrl
05-05-2009, 06:54 PM
Backpacks! We love them, and carried them in the parks even before we had kids. We take one decent sized one, and DH and I take turns carrying it.

johnO
05-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Just picked up a backpack from wal-mart for $9.88. Its small and think it will work well.

Outdoor Products brand

disneytruelove21
05-06-2009, 01:13 PM
I find the nike drawstring bags are quite effective! It is lightweight and does not stick to your back as much as a heavy backpack! Big backpacks make you so sweaty in that Florida heat!:mickey:

iluvdumbo
08-07-2009, 10:45 AM
I only carry a fannie pack because I'm forced to, not because I want to...I'd rather just hand all of my stuff to my mom because I don't like fannie packs at all, but then when I say that, my mom says she won't carry my phone and other such things :(

MNNHFLTX
08-07-2009, 10:57 AM
I prefer to travel light in the parks and chose "neither". I have my ticket/pass, ID and a little cash in a lanyard and my camera in a camera bag (with maybe some lip balm and purell in the pocket of the bag) and that's typically it for me. I get thirsty, I buy something to drink or hit the water fountains.

joonyer
08-07-2009, 12:16 PM
I prefer the fanny pack. I know they're not in "style" anymore, but I couldn't care any less about that. I don't need the storage space of a backpack or messenger bag, although DW carries one of those. My fanny pack is big enough for our small digital camera, sunglasses, and a few other small items; gum, mints, maps, etc. and has a water bottle carrier. And I don't have to take it off to sit down on rides or attractions.

lightyearfan
08-07-2009, 12:32 PM
i'm 1 of those guys who hates having things in my pockets, so it's obvious that i voted for fannie pack, and dw also wears a fannie pack, all we nned to carry in them is my wallet and keys, i can't see how people walk around in that boiling heat with a back packs on there back? when it's that hot less is more, and as far as buying stuff while in the parks that's easy.... send it to the front of the park for when you exit , it's ready to be picked up. i know allot of people think that the fannie pack is soooo 80's-90's , but at 42 years of age i could care less about being fashionable:mickey:

Victor

bruin1344
08-07-2009, 01:00 PM
neither, my pockets in my shorts are usually sufficient

EPCOTGAL1
08-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Fannie packs in the 80/90's. Small cross-body in early 2000's, larger cross-body (vera bradley)2007/2008 (April) and a small backpack in November 2008.

For me, I just can't wear a cross-body anymore unless it is a very small nylon-type camera bag. My shoulders cannot take any weight and I don't like the feeling of "something" splitting "the girls" up..if you know what I mean:blush: So taking into consideration my shoulders, going in two weeks (extremely hot not wanting anything on my back), I'm going back to a waist pack (as I prefer to call them now...because nobody wears them over the "fannie" anyway... ) I bought a light cream color one so that it blends in more with my light color clothing and I will have hands and shoulders free! I will not be bumping into anyone with my bag and I KNOW who's hands are going into it..mine..and only mine.

So if you see me, please don't stare and laugh at me and shake your head in disgust....I just gotta go with comfort. And if the fashion police are out, they certainly will have plenty to observe out there before they get to me and my little ol' waist pack :mickey:

iheartdisney
08-08-2009, 10:31 AM
And if the fashion police are out, they certainly will have plenty to observe out there before they get to me and my little ol' waist pack :mickey:

I sooooooo agree with you there!

hubbyofadisneyholic
08-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Definitely a backpack for me.
Traveling "light" is not in our family vocabulary, so I usually end up carrying 4 or 5 partially frozen water bottles, several cameras, extra batteries, ponchos (if there is even the slightest chance of rain), snacks and of course any souveniers that get acquired during the day. And don't forget the park passes...:D

I usually end up feeling like a pack mule, but it still beats the heck out of being at work!!:thumbsup:

Lakin
08-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Please ignore my teenage slang, but I just would like to say that wearing a fanny pack would totally down my rep. :D

kakn7294
08-08-2009, 10:08 PM
My bag of choice is a tiny little bag called Purse Plus by Charm 14. It's not much bigger than a camera case or fat wallet and holds everything I need, including my camera. It came with either a long cross-body strap or a short wristlet strap. I use it as my everyday bag at home as well.

DisneyFr33k
08-09-2009, 07:00 AM

:ditto: And, I have my DD and DS wear a fanny too. They put snacks and juice boxes in them so I don't have to dig through the backpack for it. Also they have a disposable camera for their own albums at home.

DisneyOtaku
08-09-2009, 08:01 AM
Whatever can hold my video camera :thumbsup: Lucky for me, I have a new, much smaller one for this upcoming trip. I could very well just use my purse.

Jll3Sonex
08-09-2009, 08:18 AM
WalMart's got inexpensive backpacks that accept 2-liter widemouth water bladders, like a Camelbak. Fill one up with ice and water, and you've got cold water on demand all day - as well as a good bit of storage, for considerably less than the cost of a Camelbak.

I prefer lightweight clothing at the parks, sport shorts and wicking t-shirts. Unfortunately, this usually has less than adequate pocket space. (Oh, they're BIG pockets, but loose, and I have this vision of my wallet dropping out while on Everest or something. Hmmm, what would a Yeti buy?) So I use a belt-style camera pouch, which has room for wallet and camera and keys and notebook and pen...

Take the backpack off for rides as needed - went on ToT, Everest, and RRC - no problems at all!

mousetrapper
08-09-2009, 10:24 AM
I also carry a really small backpack - I think it's a Nine West - that carries essentials like my ticket, credit card, some cash, a few tissues, etc. I try to downsize everything, carrying smaller versions of full size items like sunscreen and hand sanitizer.

I used to go the fannypack route, but my fashionista DDs have shamed me into choosing a less embarrassing alternative! :blush:

My DH hates it, but he usually carries a backpack with his camera, water bottles, etc. The DDs know he has it so they'll get him to carry everything in it for them! He complains and I always tell him not to bring it, but he does anyway. DH is a bit of a martyr at times! ;)

Darbylew
08-09-2009, 10:32 AM
We use both. I am thinking the next time I go
I will try the criss/cross small purse instead of
the fannie pack but we will still carry our back
pack. I like to have snacks, band-aids, neo,
wipes and rain gear in the pack back. ;)
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GOING BACK IN
NOVEMBER 2009. :D:mickey:

KAT1811
08-09-2009, 05:07 PM
As parents of 4 we carry lots of "stuff" to the World. So quite a bit goes into the diaper bag and the stroller. But for the things I need to keep on me at all times (money, park tickets, cell phone, etc.) I use my backpack purse (LV or D&G) something big enough but still really cute. I'll admit I like to look my best at all times, even in WDW. :blush: So a fanny pack is a huge no no for me but to each his own and for all of you that love them :thumbsup: go for it if it makes you happy! :mickey:

cather74
08-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Small back pack. The fanny pack should be outlawed for both men and women.:mickey:

EPCOTGAL1
08-10-2009, 06:47 AM
Small back pack. The fanny pack should be outlawed for both men and women.:mickey:

Really??? I mean...Really????? Ok, I don't post that often but I just couldn't let this statement above go..... so I have to ask...WHY does this topic bring so much negativity and controversy. I mean, come on....its just an "accessory" item?? Someone commented earlier about how fanny packs should be used for hiking and actually, that is a great idea (or something to that nature). Isn't that why they made backpacks originally as well?? Who CARES what people are carrying into the parks (unless you're asking for reasons of affordability, comfort or ease) as long as they are having the best time ever and they are comfortable! If you want to look neat and tidy (which is quite possible with our without a fanny pack) or dress for the chance that you might be spotted to be on "Who wants to be a runway star"....that's your perogative. But please, if people choose to wear a fanny pack for whatever reason....just...."let it go"...as it is not their intent to be spotted by fashion designers and be picked for their next magazine issue. geeez! If you don't wear one, a simple..."it's not for me" response will suffice. No need to degrade the people that do.

DisneyFanaticDargon
08-10-2009, 08:21 AM
Fannie packs are SO 1996. I wouldn't be caught dead with one. Seriously, the same people walking around with them are the same ones wearing jorts to the parks. You know who you are. ;)

kakn7294
08-10-2009, 08:29 AM
Fannie packs are SO 1996. I wouldn't be caught dead with one. Seriously, the same people walking around with them are the same ones wearing jorts to the parks. You know who you are. ;)Darn right! Love my Jorts and Crocs and have been known to wear a fanny pack. :thumbsup:

lightyearfan
08-10-2009, 10:43 AM

Fannie packs are SO 1996. I wouldn't be caught dead with one. Seriously, the same people walking around with them are the same ones wearing jorts to the parks. You know who you are. ;)

ok i guess the fashion police are in town:mickey:, i could care less of what people think of what i'm wearing, here goes a thought it's none of your buisness, secondly, i know that jorts aren't in today :), but shorts are meant not to pass the knees???????? if you are going to wear shorts that pass the knees, you might as well just wear pants, that's more a pet peeve than a fanny pack, c'mon fashion police give it a rest, when we're at WDW, that's what counts, me and dw are there to have a good time, our goal isn't to walk around and spot fanny packs or jorts, ya that's why we fly and spend $$, to go WDW and spot out fanny packs and jorts.

Victor
'

cather74
08-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Didn't know everyone felt so strongly about their fanny packs. Fanny away my friends. I support you 100%.:mickey:

KAJUNKING
08-11-2009, 06:16 PM
we like the messenger style bags, they carry more than a fanny pack, and you don't have to take it off to access your things like a back pack

KAT1811
08-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Didn't know everyone felt so strongly about their fanny packs. Fanny away my friends. I support you 100%.:mickey:

:funny:

poohbearkris
08-12-2009, 04:33 PM
I carried a backpack the last time I went. I was just shopping at Marshalls today and got a great Baggallini messenger sling bag at a great price. It is smaller the backpack, put seems like it will be easier to keep things organized.:mickey:

Pigtunia
08-12-2009, 04:41 PM
I prefer to be unencumbered (sp?). If I must choose one, I would say fanny pack.

I'm one of those odd people who HATES back packs.

DVC2004
08-12-2009, 06:45 PM
Fanny pack- yuck! I don't own one. Usually I bring a large purse and put what we need in there. DH has the big slr camera so he wears that on a strap. We pack pretty light so that usually works for us.

Darin M
08-12-2009, 06:56 PM
Cargo Shorts. Fannie Packs are so 1991. I do bring a drawstring backpack with me. You can find them cheap and they aren't bulky or get in the way. I picked up a POTC one at the hotel I was staying at and I use it all of the time.

kemps@wdw
08-16-2009, 12:52 AM
Call me "old school", but I still use my fanny pack!: DH doesn't use anything, just keeps his stuff in his pockets (aren't cargo short great?) No offense to the back-pack carriers, but I dislike getting behind them in the security lines! And getting hit w/one is unpleasant, to say the least! I carry only my small camera/camcorder (an all-in-one unit), my card key, $, and ID. It's in front, so no chance of pick-pocketing or bumping someone else in line w/it, and alot easier and faster getting thru security checks. Obviously, being unfashionable is not a big concern here, when it comes to comfort and convenience!

DisneyFanaticDargon
08-16-2009, 01:51 PM
but shorts are meant not to pass the knees???????? if you are going to wear shorts that pass the knees, you might as well just wear pants

Actually, even though they go slightly past the knees, cargo shorts are actually quite useful with all their pockets. Not to mention I think they breath better than any sort of jean material. On a hot day, that's something very important.

HoosierDisneyFan
08-16-2009, 03:28 PM
Though I would not be caught dead wearing a fanny pack normally, it is great for Disney trips. I carry my camera, wallet, quart size baggies (to keep everything dry on water rides), hand sanitizer, fast passes and resort tickets.

Wrigley
08-16-2009, 03:33 PM
We use a messenger style backpack. We use it to carry ponchos, snacks, camera/camcorder, diapers, wipes, and a water bottle. I have never, nor will we ever, use a fanny pack!

IloveDisney71
08-16-2009, 08:47 PM
I'd love to be able to go to the parks without a backpack to carry everything but I can't seem to be able to live without it. I use it to carry my camera, ponchos, water bottle, hand sanitizer, medicine, etc. :mickey:

coneygoil
08-17-2009, 08:46 AM
I have carried a backpack at WDW for the last 15 years. My latest backpack is one of those nylon drawstrings and it's actually been the best one I've ever carried. I also carry a camera case for many years now too. My mom always carries a fannie pack.

Tygger7
08-17-2009, 09:12 AM
utility belt = fanny pack

:rotfl: I love it! That's what I'm going to say now whenever anyone asks me if I carry a fannypack! I just went from "dork" to "superhero"!! :D

SurferStitch
08-17-2009, 11:00 AM
I carry a small, lightweight, plush Stitch backpack that I bought at WoD in NYC back in 2004 (slightly bigger than the ones they sell in WDW). He goes on every WDW trip with me.

And what's cool....I can dress him up! He wore an Elvis costume to MNSSHP last year, an elf costume around Christmas, a safari outfit to AK, German lederhosen to Epcot (I'm German), a Hawaiian shirt loaded with pins, etc. The Hawaiian shirt with the pins on it is great because I don't trade, but I do like to have some pins displayed, and he's the perfect way to do that. The CM's and guests always rave about him!

He's just big enough to hold a tiny wallet, a compact w/mirror, lip gloss, sanitizer, money, AP, bandaids, and my sunglasses, yet small enough not to get in the way on rides and in lines.

When not in WDW, he stays on our bed at home. He only gets worn in WDW!

DH carries a very small camera bag that holds our point and shoot digital and our HD camcorder. Now that we got our new Leica D-LUX 4 that shoots 10.1 MPX images and HD video, some days he'll probably only carry that in its custom case (very tiny) if he doesn't want to take the camcorder.

indytraveler
08-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Sorry you Fanny Pack users. I'm a male and wouldn't be caught dead with one. I'll carry a backpack looong before a fanny pack. Plus cargo shorts have all the pockets I need plus a bunch more.

CaptainSad
08-17-2009, 12:07 PM
I have three different Disney Fanny Packs. I wouldn't use anything else. I hate using pockets, just not enough room. Never tried the Cargo pants. I did a back pack one time and regreted it the whole time. On a nice hot and humid day gets kind of randy at the end of the day if you ask me. Why would you want to carry something that big on rides and such. The fanny pack doesn't get in the way. You can't hit anybody with them and they are right there in case you need your wallet,Camera,Phone or tickets. You don't have to stop and take the pack off for what you need. Just walk and grab. I just can't believe some of you won't be caught dead with them. Why?

Dopey's Girl
08-17-2009, 06:50 PM
I used to carry everything I own around WDW with me in a backpack, but I'm down to a coin purse in my pocket. It's big enough for money, park pass and a little pill case. My camera is on a strap I made that I can sling over my shoulder, so that is hands free too. I don't like having lots of junk to tote around with me...It's enough work walking around all day without carrying around 40 lbs of this, that and the other too! I also don't like to deal with bag check...especially at Epcot. That's the worst!

I'm Pooh shaped...fanny packs just emphasize that...no need to draw more attention to myself! But if that is what floats your boat, more power too you!

Carol'sDisney
08-18-2009, 11:33 AM
OK, I (like a PP) do not post very often, but I must post in defense of the "waist pack" wearers! I follow the "3 C's" of "real-life" fashion - Cost, Comfort, & Convenience! The waist packs are compact, convenient, less "sweat-inducing" and avoid the constant (albeit accidental) rudeness of wacking people with a backpack when removing it to look for stuff or the irritation of holding up a line while searching the caverns of a large bag for money, passes, etc. Obviously, the muti-generational, cross-cultural,& wide-spread geographical membership of this board will have differing opinions, but when we're in WDW, does it really matter what bag we're wearing? I can assure you, when I'm there, I won't be caring a flip!

Miladymorgane
08-19-2009, 07:41 PM
I'm 24 and use a fanny pack that i have turned into a utility belt. Wouldn't you want comfort over fashion when your walking on average 5 miles a day in the Florida heat. Also, some people like myself cannot use backpacks for medical reasons. For me the choice of being able to walk and not end up in an ecv or looking silly for my fanny pack, the fanny pack wins. BTW with the using both i have a reusable mickey tote i bought at the parks attached to the pack for when i need more space. It makes my life a lot easier when i clip it on with a carabiner so i can have all my bags hands free.:mickey:

Carolanne
08-19-2009, 07:52 PM
I can't be bothered going through bag check, so I don't carry any bags while in WDW. I carry my park pass, money, and ID in one of those slim cardholder thing-a-ma-bobs in a pocket, I wear my camera on a strap around my neck, and any purchases are shipped back to the room.