PDA

View Full Version : Key of the World & Credit Card Question

MightyAlweg
04-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Hi,

I'm unsure how this works - can someone please explain it to me?

Can I use my Debit Visa card as my "method of payment" once I get to WDW and am issued a Key to the World card?

When do they ask you for this information?

Thanks in advance for any help!

MA

:mickey:

SBETigg
04-25-2009, 09:51 PM
We set it up at check-in, but I guess you can do it with online registration now, too (ten days before check-in). They let you charge items at the WDW Resort (at parks and resort hotels, restaurants and shops) using your Key to the World and when you hit a certain amount, they charge the card you have allowed as Method of Payment (credit and debit cards, both accepted). For us, the limit was set at $1500 (we stayed deluxe, I think it's lower for mods and even lower for values).

If you don't hit the preset amount, they charge it when you check out. Or, you can have them charge it to the card at any time before you hit that limit, or pay the balance with cash or check at any time instead of letting it go to the card. They're extremely flexible. They'll even give you daily printouts if you ask, to help monitor your spending and budget. They list everything you've bought, plus when and where you purchased.

MightyAlweg
04-25-2009, 09:55 PM
Oh, thank you Sherri! I appreciate the information!

Friend of Figment
04-25-2009, 10:46 PM
It's not wise to use debit as a deposit at a hotel because of the amount hotels block and the length it of time it takes to release the block. Unless you have a huge balance in your checking account, it is very easy to overdraw your account because you may think the block is lifted and it isn't yet.

If you have a credit card, I would use that. You can then pay cash/debit at the desk prior to checkout.

beksy
04-26-2009, 12:46 AM
I used my debit card last trip and linked it to the room. I just made sure to keep track of what we were spending so I didn't go over my limit. Normally we just added receipts when we got back to our room.

Daisy712
04-26-2009, 09:39 AM
I have used a regular credit card for my key to the world card. I check midway through my trip for my charges at the front desk. Disney has let me write a check for the charges or I have charged it to my debit. I never let anyone have an open credit on my debit. I have learned from other people's misfortunes on this site. Have a great trip.:)

TammiMcMan
04-26-2009, 11:32 AM
I used my debit card last trip and linked it to the room. I just made sure to keep track of what we were spending so I didn't go over my limit. Normally we just added receipts when we got back to our room.I don't think going over the limit is the problem with debit cards. As Friend of Figment pointed out, hotels place a hold for a certain amount. That hold may not be released for a few business days, meaning that your checking account balance will be less than actual for a up to a few days. This could cause an overdraft situation, if you've written checks.

Just something to keep in mind. For what it's worth, when you use your debit card at gas stations, they may do the same thing. I believe they can hold up to $75 against your checking account.

SBETigg
04-26-2009, 12:32 PM
I don't think going over the limit is the problem with debit cards. As Friend of Figment pointed out, hotels place a hold for a certain amount. That hold may not be released for a few business days, meaning that your checking account balance will be less than actual for a up to a few days. This could cause an overdraft situation, if you've written checks.

Just something to keep in mind. For what it's worth, when you use your debit card at gas stations, they may do the same thing. I believe they can hold up to $75 against your checking account.

Disney treats debit cards just like credit cards- no extra holds. It's always a pleasure to stay with Disney. They're extremely consumer-friendly.

TammiMcMan
04-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Disney treats debit cards just like credit cards- no extra holds. It's always a pleasure to stay with Disney. They're extremely consumer-friendly.That's good to know Sherri. I've stayed at other hotel brands that do place an extra hold. I assume it's just in case any additional charges haven't been posted yet. Maybe Disney's billing process is better equipped.

CleveRocks
04-26-2009, 10:53 PM
It's not wise to use debit as a deposit at a hotel because of the amount hotels block and the length it of time it takes to release the block. Unless you have a huge balance in your checking account, it is very easy to overdraw your account because you may think the block is lifted and it isn't yet.

Regading Disney, the above is TOTALLY INCORRECT INFORMATION.

Disney owned-and-operated resorts DO NOT place any hold on your debit card, and they do not pre-charge or pre-debit the amount. They simply don't do it. This is a fact.

Almost all hoteliers in the USA do place an extra hold on debit cards. It's natural that people assume it's that way at Disney, also, but that assumption is a very incorrect one.

PLEASE, let's not let misinformation change someone's vacation plans.

And, by the way, Disney doesn't even check to see if you have sufficient available balance in your account. Same with credit cards ... they don't check to see if you have sufficient available credit. When you present plastic to back up a room charge, they "ping" the card, meaning they run through a charge for zero dlooars and zero cents to make sure it's a valid card on an active account. But they don't even check to see if you have enough money to make the charge, let alone place a hold or pre-charge you.

NO HOLDS. NONE.

Friend of Figment
04-26-2009, 11:45 PM
Please note - I said as a general rule it is unwise to use a debit card at a hotel. I did not say anything about Disney's policy. Regardless of Disney's policies, it is a greater risk to use a debit card than a credit card in this type of situation.

I seriously dout that this information would ruin someone's trip to DW.

DANAM
04-27-2009, 09:07 PM
We use our debit card to pay for our trips. They always ask us if we want to link this card to our room key for spending. This has always been done for us at BOOKING. I don't ever remember anyone asking if it was a debit card just if I would be using a Visa for my deposit, which it is. I have never experienced a hold on my debit card. We get to our room and put our debit cards in the safe. I would much rather a theif run around Disney with my room key card and the little limit Disney gives them, then be all over Orlando with my actual debit card.