PDA

View Full Version : Fanny packs in the parks

iheartdisney
04-25-2009, 12:18 PM
Since the "jorts" in the parks thread was getting a bit too long to piggy back I decided to ask this question in a new thread.

And not that your responses will change my mind but....Seriously? Fanny packs are a don't? Mine is very discrete (my t-shirt covers it) and it's sooooo convenient to hold room key, cell phone and the tiny bit of cash we carry each day. Backpacks can get hot by midday and you have to take it off every time you need something or you're riding an attraction. The fanny pack stays were it is all day long, it's small and right there at your fingertips when you need it.

I certainly don't want to offend the fashionistas out there but I also don't want to give up the convenience of my fanny pack (which I only use at WDW, btw).

Seasonscraps
04-25-2009, 12:31 PM
They are not for me. I use a small writlet in the parks that holds the essentials: room key/park ticket, ID, bank card, cash, camera, cell & chapstick. The strap lets me be hands free when needed and I don't have something strapped to my waist which would be both warm & uncomfortable for me.

EpcotFan182
04-25-2009, 12:33 PM
I only use it when I'm in the World. Anywhere else it's a definite no no. :nope:

rubato
04-25-2009, 02:40 PM
I wouldn't use one anywhere, ever. Mostly just because they are so unflattering! I have a VERY small backpack that I carry on one shoulder (actually, hubby carries it for me because I'm a girl and he's a big strong man! ).;)

Dopey's Girl
04-25-2009, 03:20 PM
Never, Never, Ever! Wouldn't even consider it. There is nothing I could need to have with me that would convince me otherwise!

I have a little change purse that I can get money, a park pass and a travel sized tube of sunscreen. I wear my camera on a strap across my body and I'm good to go. If it won't fit in my pocket, it isn't coming with me. I get to use the guests without bags line at security, and it's great!

marlaine
04-25-2009, 03:34 PM
I use a fanny pack only in WDW. They're handy-enough room for the essentials while freeing up your hands. I will admit that when I saw a picture of me from the side wearing one, I was really embarrased! Oh well, most people go to the World to have fun, not for a beauty contest! Right???????:blush:

SBETigg
04-25-2009, 03:55 PM
I voted for Don't Ever, but only because I find them unflattering on me and never would. I think they're really fine at WDW, whatever keeps you feeling safe and comfortable carrying your stuff.

TheVBs
04-25-2009, 04:48 PM
I didn't really have a voting option. I don't use them, but I can't imagine ever advising someone else to never use them. :confused: If that's what works for you - go for it! :thumbsup:

forever a child
04-25-2009, 05:18 PM
I use a tote bag or DD uses a small backpack. NO Fanny packs here. :thumbsup:

The closest I have to one is a special hip pack designed for day hiking and I don't use it for WDW. :mickey:

Captain_Nemo
04-25-2009, 05:21 PM
lol when I was there a few months ago watching India Jones this one guy had like the BIGGEST fanny pack I have ever seen it was ridiculous. needless to say I had to snap a pic of it lol. Leaving in 14 hours!!!!!! WOOOOOOO :mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-25-2009, 10:19 PM
I used a back pack the last couple of trips but I do have fanny packs for use in WDW. It comes in handy and since it's strapped to you, you can be pretty sure no one is picking your bag as they could with the back pack. And if it's strapped to you, you can be pretty sure you aren't going to leave it behind, like I did with my back pack at Wolfgang Puck Express a couple of years ago. I got it back but what a scary feeling!

Friend of Figment
04-25-2009, 10:35 PM
Lanyard and pockets does it for me. With a belt pack you have to go through bag check. I love leaving my purse behind and breezing through the "no bags" lane.

kakn7294
04-25-2009, 10:37 PM
I haven't used it recently, but my fanny pack has made many a trip to WDW. It's so convenient and I love being hands-free and feeling like my belongings are secure. I really don't necessarily care how it looks, even with my big fanny.

And even though I haven't used it on the past several trips, it still travels with me in my suitcase, just in case!

beksy
04-25-2009, 11:56 PM
My sister wears one only at WDW and she carries anything she thinks we might need (anti-bacterial gel, meds I take throughout the day, tissues, her autograph book and pen, etc.). I do my part by carrying my camera and keeping the room keys and cash in the small bag I carry the camera in. She hasn't figured out yet that she's basically carrying it all! I love being the oldest! :thedolls:

jcvalenti
04-26-2009, 12:40 AM
I would never be caught dead wearing one. They are ridiculous, and look 100x more ridiculous on big fat guys like me.

I'm glad, however, that my wife has one ... I'm always giving her stuff to hold :)

Mousemates
04-26-2009, 01:08 AM
in my house thay are not called fanny packs, but utility belts...(like the slightly paunchy Adam West Batman character used to wear in the 60s...you remember the show with the cartoon inserted "KAPOWS" and "OOOMPHS")...and seeing as how I am beginning to look a bit more like him than the new buff batman/dark knight of movie fame, I have no problem strapping one on for a day in the parks.

by the way, mine not only has a "super swell" little pocket to hold a small container of touch up sun tan lotion...but also a spiffy little dangling coozie to hold a water bottle...I just can't see what the big ruckus is all about, "utility belts" are just plain neato.

2Epcot
04-26-2009, 01:16 AM
lol when I was there a few months ago watching India Jones this one guy had like the BIGGEST fanny pack I have ever seen it was ridiculous. needless to say I had to snap a pic of it lol. Leaving in 14 hours!!!!!! WOOOOOOO :mickey:

It may have been a photo fanny pack. I've have had one for about 15 years ... I used it for my 35mm SLR and now sometimes for my digital SLR when I'm shooting at an event. I've never taken it to WDW though. I have used smaller ones, but Disney is the only place I ever use a fanny pack. Last time I used a backpack.

Tigger&Stitch
04-26-2009, 03:51 AM
No, no, no, no no!! Never ever ever should these horrible things be worn. Contrary to what many people think, they are quite unsafe and very likely to be targeted by pickpockets.

And the term "fanny" means a whole other thing in the rest of the world that speaks British English....

And yes, they look horrible. There are arguments against many items of clothing though(crocs come to mind..). If it's slim and is hidden under clothes, that is one thing. If someone packs so much **** into one, though, that it looks like a displaced humpback, it's time to get a lightweight backpack.

dmosher
04-26-2009, 06:22 AM
Eating shark fin soup, wrestling alligators, playing leap frog with a unicorn and wear a fanny pack. What do these things all have in common? They all fall into the category of "just because you can, does not mean you should". FP's are for climbers to hold a water bottle and some chalk, so unless you are planning to scale Expedition Everest freehand, leave the fanny pack at home.
:pipeS:
D

mrsgaribaldi
04-26-2009, 07:14 AM
I believe that you can use whatever you want. As long as it makes you happy, that's what counts. I used to use one in Disney but we have to much stuff to carry now. We use a backpack and are happy with that. I see lots of people in Disney with fanny packs. You won't be alone.:mickey:

prttynpnk
04-26-2009, 07:46 AM
I just can't get excited over fanny packs. I don't use one, but I don't think they are a reason for exommunication or anything. Better a fannypack than a 40 lb backpack that knocks into everyone and everything.

g8rgirl29
04-26-2009, 10:58 AM
My DH wears one only at WDW, I carry a very small shoulder strap purse and the stroller has an insulated bag. The fanny pack holds the camera and anything to keep a young child happy(snacks) so that she doesn't drive all the rest of the visitors crazy in line!! We don't really care what anyone thinks and I don't really care what anyone else is wearing, :) to each his own . The way I see it do or wear whatever makes your trip easier and more enjoyable. As long as it isn't obscene!! The way I see it is... You get to be a kid again at Disney and when you were a kid did you really care what you or anyone else was wearing????

iheartdisney
04-26-2009, 11:04 AM
My sister wears one only at WDW and she carries anything she thinks we might need (anti-bacterial gel, meds I take throughout the day, tissues, her autograph book and pen, etc.). I do my part by carrying my camera and keeping the room keys and cash in the small bag I carry the camera in. She hasn't figured out yet that she's basically carrying it all! I love being the oldest! :thedolls:

Oh my! You sound like me! My sister and I are 43 and 45 and I'm still trying to get away with that kind of stuff!

I would never be caught dead wearing one. They are ridiculous, and look 100x more ridiculous on big fat guys like me.

I'm glad, however, that my wife has one ... I'm always giving her stuff to hold :)

Wait a minute....you sound like MY husband!

in my house thay are not called fanny packs, but utility belts...(like the slightly paunchy Adam West Batman character used to wear in the 60s...you remember the show with the cartoon inserted "KAPOWS" and "..I just can't see what the big ruckus is all about, "utility belts" are just plain neato.

Thanks for the endorsement! I think that's what I'm going to call mine from now on!

I see lots of people in Disney with fanny packs. You won't be alone.:mickey:

Maybe we could start a fanny pack movement!

I just can't get excited over fanny packs. I don't use one, but I don't think they are a reason for exommunication or anything. Better a fannypack than a 40 lb backpack that knocks into everyone and everything.

Yet another reason why I don't favor backpacks.

dtootsie42
04-26-2009, 12:40 PM
My husband has worn one when he takes extra camera equipment. My daughters used to wear them when them when they were younger and now would not be caught dead in one. I wore one once and decided it was more a pain than useful and have never worn one again. It got to be to hot and cumbersome as the day went on.

Dec. 1997---Contemporary
Dec. 1999--Poly
June 2000--Disneyland
Dec. 2001---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2003---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2005---Poly Concierge
Nov. 2007---Poly Concierge
Oct. 2008--DisneyLand
Next trip Dec. 2009--Poly Concierge

shev
04-26-2009, 12:42 PM
I just had this discussion with my 17yr old daughter and she begged me to please not wear one. SOOOO embarrassing Mom was the jist. She just left to go pick me up a minature back-pack because we leave on Tuesday for my idea of heaven.

PrettyMinnie
04-26-2009, 12:59 PM
They are not for me. I use a small writlet in the parks that holds the essentials: room key/park ticket, ID, bank card, cash, camera, cell & chapstick. The strap lets me be hands free when needed and I don't have something strapped to my waist which would be both warm & uncomfortable for me.

Same. :mickey:

kemps@wdw
04-26-2009, 03:52 PM
Fanny Packs...gotta have 'em! :thumbsup:

playdead88
04-26-2009, 04:55 PM
top 5 fashion enemy list:
1. mullet
2. fanny pack
3. jorts - on a man - again jean shorts do not become jorts until a man wears them
4. dirty toenails and crusty feet in flipflops - ewww - clean up the piggies prior to letting them hang out
5. pleated pants or shorts

and of course keep in mind we are all on a disney message board so i think that takes any level of coolness we may think we have down a little - my name is bj and i am a disney geek

:mickey: woohoo 28 more days!!!

DANAM
04-26-2009, 05:55 PM
Personally I Don't Ever but only because I have a messanger bag that I love. And I carry around way too much stuff for a fanny pack!

Toughbug
04-26-2009, 07:23 PM
On vacation the fanny pack is a must. It keeps everything I need for a day in the parks handy and out of my pockets. I hate anything in the pockets that weigh down my pants.

Daddy Mouse
04-26-2009, 08:20 PM
Everytime DW gives out moleskin or other care items. Those people do not carry a fannypack or have prepared themselves for blisters, headaches, etc...

"No, no, no, no no!! Never ever ever should these horrible things be worn. Contrary to what many people think, they are quite unsafe and very likely to be targeted by pickpockets."

Pickpockets are a problem, especially when the fannypack is in front.

We should all go back to having a codpiece!

Mickey91
04-27-2009, 09:03 AM
My fannypack is my life at WDW. Everything of importance goes in there. Money, ID, tickets, fastpasses, eyeglass repair kit (someone always looses a lense)...

Really, you don't have to worry so much what other people will think. There are so many different people from different cultures, wearing different type clothes, carrying their stuff in different ways that no one would notice if you had pink hair and goggles. And if they did, they would just say cool hair!!! Where did ya get the goggles?

The best advice I can give about Disney is that this is your time in the magic. Wear what makes you comfortable, take the bag, fannypack or whatever you usually use when you're walking in a large place all day and just make sure you are as comfortable as you can be in the heat and crowds.

If after the first day you need to make adjustments to that because you didn't like something or you think something else might work better for you, then make changes. But, most everyone here will agree that what works for me won't necessarily work for you and vice versa.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!!!:mickey:

animalkingdomguy
04-27-2009, 09:12 AM
I use mine as a camera, snack, poncho, misc bag. Normally, I wouldn't be caught dead with one but for WDW it is a necessity. Also, the infamous fanny pack fits into the pocket on the ride vechicles are I can stow it easily.

GrumpyFan
04-29-2009, 11:02 AM
Only in WDW. I find it's just the right size for the camera, extra batteries, tickets/room keys, gum, medicine for nausea or headache.

minnesotafreeze
04-29-2009, 11:17 AM
If you are going to wear a fanny pack you might as well lose all self respect and wear a huge one with multiple water bottles. What really makes this fashion statement perfect is when people strap the fannie pack on top of there very long t-shirts, that is cool! To finish the outfit make sure you wear Crocs.:mickey:

iheartdisney
04-29-2009, 11:40 AM
News Alert! (That is, if you call People magazine "news")

Drum roll, please! :drum: :drum::drum:

According to the latest issue of People magazine...

Fanny Packs are back!

People, May 4 2009 issue:
"Typically associated with overweight tourists wearing Hawaiian shirts, fanny packs are suddenly hip, thanks to celebs like Madonna (who wore one on a March trip to Malawi) and John Mayer, who hailed the lumbar bag on Twitter as "one of the best inventions ever!""

Take that, you nay-sayers! We fanny pack wearers are really trendsetters!

GrumpyFan
04-29-2009, 12:17 PM
What really makes this fashion statement perfect is when people strap the fannie pack on top of there very long t-shirts, that is cool! To finish the outfit make sure you wear Crocs.:mickey:

So, we can't wear Crocs either?!?! OMG! I am sooo busted! ;) Makes me wonder if there is an acceptable list of what is allowed to wear at WDW?

Kidding aside, there probably SHOULD be a list (general guidelines only) of what not to wear at WDW, but fanny packs don't belong anywhere near the top of that list. I'm sure we've all seen plenty of things worse.

MaxPower
04-29-2009, 06:45 PM
Fashion is not a priority at WDW.

I always chuckle at airports- because people who just got off an Orlando flight dressed in Goofy hats and sparkly Minnie Mouse T-shirts all of a sudden look like weirdos in their home town airports when they felt as if they were dressed perfectly normal standing in the Magic Kingdom 8 short hours ago.

Tigger&Stitch
04-29-2009, 06:48 PM
News Alert! (That is, if you call People magazine "news")

Drum roll, please! :drum: :drum::drum:

According to the latest issue of People magazine...

Fanny Packs are back!

People, May 4 2009 issue:
"Typically associated with overweight tourists wearing Hawaiian shirts, fanny packs are suddenly hip, thanks to celebs like Madonna (who wore one on a March trip to Malawi) and John Mayer, who hailed the lumbar bag on Twitter as "one of the best inventions ever!""

Take that, you nay-sayers! We fanny pack wearers are really trendsetters!

Actually, for me...that is the last nail in the coffin on fannypacks. Never would I ever want to wear something on purpose because a 'celebrity' wore it. Esp Madonna and/or Mayer. :ack:

Adambomb85
04-29-2009, 07:11 PM
I just don't think I could pull one off...but sign me up for a fun hat! :hatter:

baldburke
04-29-2009, 09:14 PM
Just a small backpack for us for all the essentials for five.

pixiesmimi
04-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Never say never. I didn't think I would ever wear one again after we left our tour of duty in Korea. But I carry a tote bag for a purse most of the time. After carrying a tote bag on my shoulder all day, I decided to start looking for something more comfortable. When we don't have a stroller to use, I use a small pack, I call it a belly pack because I wear it in the front, and it isn't very noticable because it is very small but has several zipped pockets for money, Key card, camera and phone. I tried using a back pack the last trip and it was just as much trouble if not more. I had to take it off every time I sat down, which I don't do with my belly pack. I am going to take my messenger bag and a smaller backpack next trip but will throw the "belly" pack just in case none of the other things work. There are just certain things that I have to carry with me and don't want it all in my pockets, which makes you look even worse with your pockets all sticking out with stuff in them. I don't pay any attention to what other people carry and don't worry about how I look. I just go to have fun. (I was a little embarrassed the first time I saw a picture of myself with it though but take it off for pictures now.) :D It really embarrasses my kids though which is another reason why I wear it.

GrmGrninGost
04-30-2009, 05:40 AM
Fanny packs are useful. Fanny packs are very convenient. It doesn't take much for me to figure out if I'm going to use them!

scootch713
04-30-2009, 07:46 AM
I have only used them at WDW. I think you need it for the fastpasses, tickets, money ect. I forgot mine last year and definitely missed it as I would leave the backpack in the stroller sometimes if I had the fanny pack with me.

ryca1dreams
04-30-2009, 08:31 AM
Man, when I'm there I carry as little as possible. That means I put a room key in one pocket and a small camera in another and I'm off. Anything else is bulk.

And I'm not sure that the Magic Kingdom is a high crime area to be worrying about pickpockets, but if you want the fanny pack, go for it. My wife has to have one.

Earnhardt321
04-30-2009, 08:36 AM
They are a don't ever for me. I have on over the shoulder purse that is not to big but it is just the right size to put small purchases in!

I do however know there is a few pictures of myself wearing one at Walt Disney World but that was when my mother had controll over my wardrobe. She no longer wears one either!!

iheartdisney
04-30-2009, 02:02 PM
It really embarrasses my kids though which is another reason why I wear it.

Another reason why I'll wear mine with pride!

iluvdumbo
05-07-2009, 10:32 AM
I only use mine because my mom makes me, not that I want to!

:mickey:

Tygger7
05-07-2009, 10:53 AM
I've always used a fanny-pack at WDW, but at the urging of my DD16, I bought a small back pack on our last trip to use instead. Now let me say, I made a concerted effort to make this work...but I HATED it. When I wore it with both straps, my back was hot & sweaty under the pack. Carrying it on one shoulder didn't work either...I always felt like I was going to lose something. Every time we rode a coaster, I had to take it off. Let me tell you, that was fun trying to hang onto. By the 3rd day of trying to be "fashionable", I decided that it was more important to be comfortable than inconvenienced with something that didn't work for me. Let's face it, is the world really going to end if you, or someone you know, carries a fannypack? Who are we trying to impress anyway while on vacation? Oh, and after my DD16 saw all the struggles I had with the small backpack, she even said that she understood why I didn't want to carry it any more.

And to everyone who is so negative & critical of people that do wear something that you feel is a fashion "faux pax"....please, get over it. People need to do what works for them, and quite frankly, haven't we all dealt with enough negative peer pressure in high school? My DD16 was recently ridiculed because she wasn't wearing a $200 pair of jeans like the other girls on the volleyball team. Sorry, but what does it matter? She has nice clothes, but I refuse to spend $200 on a pair of jeans to please someone else's fashion tastes. I'm not saying you have to wear a fanny pack, or crocs, or anything else you feel is "unfashionable"...just cut those of us that do a little slack and try not to be so judgemental.

I'll get off my :soapbox: now. :D

katzctkpt
05-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Since the "jorts" in the parks thread was getting a bit too long to piggy back I decided to ask this question in a new thread.

And not that your responses will change my mind but....Seriously? Fanny packs are a don't? Mine is very discrete (my t-shirt covers it) and it's sooooo convenient to hold room key, cell phone and the tiny bit of cash we carry each day. Backpacks can get hot by midday and you have to take it off every time you need something or you're riding an attraction. The fanny pack stays were it is all day long, it's small and right there at your fingertips when you need it.

I certainly don't want to offend the fashionistas out there but I also don't want to give up the convenience of my fanny pack (which I only use at WDW, btw).

I use a fanny pack only in WDW. They're handy-enough room for the essentials while freeing up your hands. I will admit that when I saw a picture of me from the side wearing one, I was really embarrased! Oh well, most people go to the World to have fun, not for a beauty contest! Right???????:blush:

I use mine at WDW only. I have a small one and use it each trip. It's convenient and doesn't have to be removed on each ride. Who cares about making a fashion statement? Not I ! I'm there to enjoy the rides and everything else disney has to offer.

Disney_Barbie
05-07-2009, 01:17 PM
For me, personally, NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER! But, That's just for me, I'm not playing fashion critic to others while walking around WdW, I'm enjoying my vacation!
So although I would NEVER EVER consider it (seriously, even at gunpoint) to each his own. I walk around in 3 inch heels even though that would be a serious "no,no" for many, I say wear what ever you want (w/out being offensive of course) after all, you waited all year for this!