PDA

View Full Version : Afternoon trip to WDW and dining??

jaredkari
04-24-2009, 08:52 PM
Ok here is the deal, my wife has a medical conference in Sarasota in May and it gets over at noon each day. We are going to drive up one afternoon and spend the afternoon at WDW, not the parks but Downtown Disney and maybe look at some resorts. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for fun things to do outside of the parks in an afternoon??

Also I have made reservations at the Flying Fish Cafe at Boardwalk. Any suggestions on what is good there? I am a big steak fan so I was hoping they might have something.

lawgirl
04-25-2009, 09:35 AM
Since we usually get to WDW in the middle of the day we don't do a park that day. That first day we check-in to our resort, freshen up, and then head out from there.

We really like to ride the monorail loop through Epcot, and then take the resort monorail loop. The Poly, CR, and GF are all beautiful resorts, and we love walking on the beaches. Its always fun to stay and see the MK fireworks on the beach of the Poly.

I would also recommend dinner reservations at Jiko at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. There is so much to do and see at the AKL...you can go to the resort early, take a tour, and then have an amazing dinner.

Daisy'sMom
04-25-2009, 11:01 AM
If you are coming from Sarasota after 12, you probably won't get there until about 2 or so since it's about 120 some miles. I think you should try the new Characters in Flight and just sit at Downtown Disney soaking it all in. Have fun. :mickey:

slegrant
04-25-2009, 11:15 AM
My suggestion would be drive into the Wilderness Lodge and park, take a walk around this great resort, then take a boat launch over to contemporary and explore. Get on the monorail and make a stop at each resort, Poly & Grand Floridian, once you get to the Grand Floridian go to the pool & beach bar grab a drink and walk over to the beach area and just soak the views of seven seas lagoon.
For Dinner I would recommend the California Grill at the Contemporary! my family's favorite:mickey:

If there is time you should walk the Wilderness trail over to Fort Wilderness and explore the campgrounds and maybe even watch the fireworks & Electrical Water Pagent from Fort Wilderness beach. Take a boat launch back to the Wilderness Lodge then your wonderful day is complete. Lots of options:mickey:

irish1967
04-26-2009, 07:16 PM
Since you say you are a steak person - try the Yachtsman Steakhouse at the Yacht Club. We dine there almost every visit. My DH and I went there for our 10th anniversary meal and really enjoyed it.

If you have a chance while in Sarasota- head over to Siesta Key one afternoon. It is a beautiful beach ... one not to be missed.

Also a good, casusal restaurant on Siesta Key is "Turtles" (head south on Midnight Pass Road it is on the left hand side) ...(We go to Siesta Key for a week either before or after our WDW visit - almost - every summer) it isn't "fine" dining but we like it.)