PDA

View Full Version : Tourettes / ADHD and GAC

MightyAlweg
04-24-2009, 01:16 PM
Hi,

Does anyone know how WDW handles these sorts of disabilities?

I know the last thing a family in line wants to hear is me swearing up a storm, as Tourettes can be quite unpredictable.

I'd rather not ruin someones trip

Thanks

:mickey:

DakandZakMom
04-24-2009, 02:10 PM
First, Welcome to Intercot!! :welcome:

My DS 11 has Tourette's / ADHD/ and Asperger's. We go to WDW every year and a lot of the reason that we go is beacuse WDW is the one place that he can go and no one really pays attention when he may act a little "different". In my experience most of the people there are too busy paying attention to everything there is to see that they pay little attention to other people.

My son's tics and vocalizations seem to be less at WDW, maybe due to the high number of other things stimulating him.

I wouldn't worry about ruining someone's trip. I try and not let what other people think have any affect on me and my son. You are on vacation and should have the time of your life. He has never needed a GAC and as long as you can stand in lines I doublt that you would need one. :thumbsup:

If you have any questions you can PM me. Have a great trip!! :mickey:

ElenitaB
04-25-2009, 01:30 PM
Welcome to INTERCOT!

Glad to have you aboard! :wave:

There have been several threads recently about the GAC card, and I'm sure you'll find some very helpful information in them.

MightyAlweg
04-27-2009, 05:17 AM
First, Welcome to Intercot!! :welcome:

My DS 11 has Tourette's / ADHD/ and Asperger's. We go to WDW every year and a lot of the reason that we go is beacuse WDW is the one place that he can go and no one really pays attention when he may act a little "different". In my experience most of the people there are too busy paying attention to everything there is to see that they pay little attention to other people.

My son's tics and vocalizations seem to be less at WDW, maybe due to the high number of other things stimulating him.

I wouldn't worry about ruining someone's trip. I try and not let what other people think have any affect on me and my son. You are on vacation and should have the time of your life. He has never needed a GAC and as long as you can stand in lines I doublt that you would need one. :thumbsup:

If you have any questions you can PM me. Have a great trip!! :mickey:

I wish it were so!

I swear like a drunken truck driver, especially when I'm confined to small spaces...

mejsimon
05-25-2009, 10:05 PM
and has a tendancy to let loose with the words when he is stessed... we did get the GAC on our last two visits as he really gets stressed in those lines. He is 11 and we just really try to take things easy as he tends to get over heated as well. I also plan to have his medical alert dogtag on and will add one with my cell number as well (we have gotten them engraved at Disney) JUST in case. Good luck! I know it is hard for others to understand. I might even get him a t-shirt. I liked one at cafepress- 'Autistic by day, ninja by night'.... :trooper:

It'sWDW4me
07-02-2009, 03:33 PM
You may want to get a GAC card or at least take along what you need in order to get one. I think you need some sort of confirmation of disability from your doctor? I've seen sites that walk you through the process of obtaining the card as well as what to say to CM's who may not be completely familiar with the process (I know most CM's know but I have heard of a very few instances). Try the parks without it but if you're too stressed or self-concious, by all means get a card. This is your vacation too - do whatever you need to do for you and your family to have a most wonderful time!

And...... :welcome: to INTERCOT!

joanna71985
07-02-2009, 10:15 PM
You may want to get a GAC card or at least take along what you need in order to get one. I think you need some sort of confirmation of disability from your doctor? I've seen sites that walk you through the process of obtaining the card as well as what to say to CM's who may not be completely familiar with the process (I know most CM's know but I have heard of a very few instances). Try the parks without it but if you're too stressed or self-concious, by all means get a card. This is your vacation too - do whatever you need to do for you and your family to have a most wonderful time!

No, you do not need a letter, or note, or anything like that. The CMs technically are not supposed to take them.