PDA

View Full Version : Healthy dining options

barbiegirl314
04-24-2009, 10:42 AM
Okay, so I just lost 20 pounds and am feeling really great :yay:, however I'm scared to death about putting it back on when we go on vacation in a couple of weeks.

Can anyone suggest some "healthier" dining CS spots? I'm not unrealistic and know that I'm going to choose some things that aren't the best options but if I could balance it with some healthy choices I think I'll be in good shape.

Strmchsr
04-24-2009, 11:19 AM
I know the feeling. I've worked hard over the last 10 months to lose 120 lbs and am hoping not to gain back while at WDW.

It's really difficult. You can eat at the Land and they have some healthier choices, but there's not a lot else you can do if you're on the DDP. For me, the DDP is NOT worth it if you're trying to eat healthy because it leaves you no choice but to overeat every single day just to break even. So, I'm avoiding the DDP and just trying to eat lightly. Carrying my own carrot sticks, etc as snacks instead of mickey bars.

The (somewhat) good news is that you do so much walking you actually burn quite a few calories which helps keep the weight gain to a minimum if you are on the plan. Also, keep in mind that you have to eat an excess of 3500 calories (cumulative over days) to gain 1 lb. And have a 3500 carlorie deficit to lose 1 lb. So, chances are even going all out on the DDP with the amount of walking you'll be doing you would gain 2-3 lbs at MOST.

DANAM
04-24-2009, 12:58 PM
I know what your feeling. I'll be honest with you I went into Disney with the same situation but really didn't watch what I ate on that trip. I stayed away from fried foods but that was about it. When I came home I had lost a pound. I wrote it off to all the walking we did. Although, I am the power walker everywhere I go and I did push 2 kids in a stroller the whole time. But there are some healthier options available at most places. My favorite was Wolf Gnag Puck Express, they have some nice salads.

Brian
04-24-2009, 01:04 PM
At the counter service places, go for the apples over the fries.

Trying many of the dining options at Disney World is one of the favorite parts of our trips. Surprisingly, I unintentionally dropped several pounds the last time I was there. If I could only do that at home... :blush:

irish1967
04-24-2009, 07:17 PM
I think that most restaurants (TS and CS) at WDW have healthier options these days. If you go in with the attitude that you will eat healthy (er), you will have the opportunity to do so.

Check out the menus, make good choices, ask for substitutions, decide what your "treats" will be ahead of time so that every menu/cart/shop doesn't absolutely tempt you is key for me.

I definitely agree with STRMCHSR DDP is probably not the way to go. If you have already committed to it, remember, it is OKAY not to order dessert.

Personally, I consider one (and only one) :bar: to be acceptable as a treat during my stay at WDW ...

Good luck - remember you choose what you put into your mouth!

dancin Disney style
04-25-2009, 06:20 PM
At home we eat healthy all the time but on vacation we eat what we want. However, I do have a rule to eat something green at least once per day. Which is easy to do because we all love salad.

Make a comprimise to eat what you want but only eat half of whats on your plate and skip dessert. Have a few pineapple Dole whips, they are non dairy.

dmosher
04-25-2009, 08:22 PM
Most places have healthy options, assuming you are OK with a nice salad or Salmon. Otherwise it gets tricky. The Land does have some nice options as do many of the places in the World Showcase (avoid the UK and Germany). There is a book (though outdated still good) called WDW for Vegetarians and they give some great ideas for veggies or people on restricted diets. ALso, ask your server. on not so busy times, the Chef will often come out and discuss a few lower fat options with you.
:pipes:
D

BrerGnat
04-26-2009, 11:45 PM
I spent a week at WDW recently.

I ate a burger and fries ONCE. That was the worst (i.e. 'junkiest' meal of the week). I eat healthy as a way of life. I like burgers and fries, don't get me wrong, but I just can't eat that way more than about once or twice a week!

But, I did get a stomach bug on my first real day of vacation, so that put a big damper on my eating (BUT, it did really make that "junk food" seem even LESS appealing).

For what it's worth, I also wouldn't do the DP if you're looking to eat "healthy". There's too much emphasis on "dessert" and "side dishes". It just advocates overeating. We did DP a couple years ago. This past trip, we were all trying to eat a bit more healthy, we were APPALLED constantly at what people's trays looked like at the CS restaurants. We were like "did we actually EAT like that on our last trip? No wonder we always felt full...." It's just a ridiculous amount of food. We really didn't spend that much $$$ on food either. You spend a LOT less when you're trying to eat healty! You didn't specifically mention if you were on the DDP, but if you are, use your snack credits for FRUIT and WATER!

This is where I found some really good food, and what I ate that was good:

@ Contemporary/Contempo Cafe CS:
-Honey Lime Chicken Sandwich w/green bean salad on side--this is a GRILLED chicken breast sandwich, served on a whole grain roll, with pepper jack cheese and an herbed ranch salsa. The green bean salad is blanched and chilled green beans, drizzled with a teriyaki sauce and sesame seeds---they are super crunchy, cold, and refreshing. This was my FAVORITE CS meal of the trip!

-The Freshly made salads @ Contempo are ALL good---but get the dressing on the SIDE---they have a heavy hand with the dressing if you get it tossed in...

In general, the Contempo Cafe's selections are a couple notches above all the other resort's CS, where "healthy eating" is concerned. You should definitely check it out, because you sound like the type of person who would appreciate the food choices there. The people who comment that they "didn't like it" were looking for burgers, fries, and pizza...

-In Epcot: Sunshine Seasons: Rotisserie 1/2 Chicken w/steamed carrots and salad (salad is mixed greens tossed with vinaigrette dressing).

-In MK: Columbia Harbor House: Tuna Sandwich with carrots on side, and Yogurt for dessert (fat free/light Yoplait)

-In MK: Cosmic Ray's has Chicken Noodle Soup---this was my first "meal" after I was over being sick...I found this soup to be VERY good, and a pretty big portion at that. Lots of chicken, veggies, and noodles. Served with saltine crackers. You can also get fresh fruit at Cosmic Ray's, and yogurt for dessert, for a full meal.

At Animal Kingdom: The BBQ chicken salad is a good healthy option. Also, you could get the BBQ 1/2 chicken, which is served with beans and cole slaw. This is relatively healthy as well.

Of course, you should treat yourself too! What's a WDW vacation without some treats. All in moderation, and you'll be fine!

FaithTrustPixieDust
04-27-2009, 12:13 PM
At the counter service places, go for the apples over the fries.

You can also ask for an extra serving of fruit instead of dessert.

barbiegirl314
04-27-2009, 02:02 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions and tips. We are not on the dining plan so that should make it easier.

I think choosing fruit and veggies as sides instead of the fries is a really good idea and maybe I'll look for wraps instead of burgers and dogs.

diz_girl
04-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Here are the healthier options that I know of at WDW:

MK - Columbia Harbor House - the salad (it has grilled chicken on it) is good, as is the vegetarian chili. Pecos Bills has a Grilled Chicken Caesar Wrap - it's big but didn't seem to have a lot of dressing in it, so maybe you can split it. When I had it I ate the whole thing, but I was pregnant at the time and ate a lot.

EPCOT - Sunshine Seasons - lots of salads - you'd definitely find something here. You might try Morrocco in FW, as they serve many of their entrees with rice.

DHS - The only CS meals that I've had recently was the stir fry at ABC comissary (I don't recommend it - the one at Captain Cook's at the Poly is much better, as is the one at Sunshine Seasons) and a kids meal (PBJ, carrots and chocolate milk) at I think the Backlot Express.

AK - I've never eaten at an existing CS here, I've only ever eaten at the Tusker House (both before and after it became a CS). If you have time to stop and sit down, it's very good, with lots of veggies and healthier options like salmon. But it's a buffet so it costs more.

Many CS eateries at WDW have salads and/or a grilled chicken breast sandwich, so just discard the bun and get carrots and water or iced tea (if fresh brewed). Also, you can get a burger, just ask for it without the bun. You'd be surprised at how healthy you can eat at WDW if you know where to go.

alaMode
05-01-2009, 04:13 AM
I recently spent a week in WDW.

I've been following an eating plan that consists of whole grains, high quality protein, low sugar, and portion control. I also eat 6 small meals a day. I've lost 17 lbs so far.

I really wasn't able to follow the plan in WDW. I did when I could (Sunshine Seasons) but I mostly ate whatever I wanted. I ate a hot dog at Casey's, chicken strips at Pop Century, and even made a meal out of a slice of grapefruit cake at Starring Rolls. I typically wasn't able to finish a whole meal (Pecos Bill Chicken Wrap--definitely enough for 2!) but occasionally I did. I also made a deal with myself to sub or add fresh fruit and/or veggies whenever I could.

Every day I would think, "Today's the day for a Mickey ice cream bar!" but I never did have one--too busy!

I brought good quality meal replacement bars from home and ate them for breakfast, ate at the parks in the afternoon, drank lots of water, and had a snack in the evening.

When I got home, I was surprised to find that I had lost 2 lbs and I couldn't wait to get back to my healthy eating plan!

Have a great trip and do the best you can! You will have so much fun!

Tess
poly 07
poly 08
pop 09
pop Christmas 09

AmandaChan
05-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Basically when I'm trying to watch what I eat while eating out I just try to make better choices at restaurants. Get grilled or baked meat in stead of fried, get vegetables over fries, drink plenty of water, don't over do it. Fulton's Crab House has plentyyy of delicious crab legs/steamed seafood that CAN'T be that bad for you. One night I had crab legs that I sprinkled with lemon juice, no butter and they served it with three small potatoes (couldn't even finish them). Seafood like that is not typically cooked in butter.

Remember to hold the fatty sauces on sandwiches and lay off the fries! You'll be getting enough exercise while you're there to compensate for a few extra calories :)