PDA

View Full Version : Favorite theme park smell?

CharDog1
04-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Hi, everyone! I'm new, so I figured I'd try to come up with a clever post, although I'm sure someone here has already come up with this.

Anyway, what is your favorite smell at one - or all - of the parks?

Mine has to be the (slightly gross) smell of the water post-drop in Splash Mountain. My family always complains about it, but I feel like it might be one of the most unique and "I'm-at-Disney" smells there is.

Daisy'sMom
04-23-2009, 06:47 PM
I use to love the smell of orange blossoms in Horizons, so I guess the orange blossoms in Soarin.

Welcome to Intercot. I hope you find it informative and fun.:mickey:

Mousemates
04-23-2009, 06:56 PM
outside the candy shop on mainstreet early in the morning.

By the way, as for the statement

Hi, everyone! I'm new, so I figured I'd try to come up with a clever post, although I'm sure someone here has already come up with this.

don't worry about having to be clever, we are here because we love disney :mickey: and don't mind repeating our faves. Also :welcome: to intercot

Boojum
04-23-2009, 06:58 PM
All the water ride scents.

The lobby of POFQ.

The "lobby" of Rock n Rollercoaster.

morebroccoli
04-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Pirates (is it the water?)... burning Rome in SSE... the cake/pies in Mickeys philharmagic. Fantasyland in general has a smell to it. i cant put my finger on it... maybe it's little kids, sweat, and pixie dust, all mixed together?

BMan62
04-23-2009, 07:01 PM
First off...

:welcome: to the Intercot family!! :rocks:

Now, to your question...

I think mine is the smell of the freshly made waffle cones wafting from the ice cream shop at the castle end of Main Street USA. Specially first thing in the morning after rope drop!!

sassafras
04-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Definitely NOT the smell on the monorail or in COP, probably the candy store on Main Street at the MK. By the way, Welcome to Intercot!!!

deedeenmickey
04-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Welcome to Intercot!:welcome:

I love the bakery on Main St. and the orange smell on Soarin'.

DreamFinder2
04-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Definitely the smell of the roasted/candied nuts in Epcot, usually over by The Land.

And the smell of the Contemporary lobby as we wait for the monorail. I know...odd, huh? :confused:

johnO
04-23-2009, 08:07 PM
There is something to the smell of the water. There is a unique smell to the water rides inside WDW.

DW likes the oranges in Soarin'..

DD likes the cinnamon near the bakery..

I'll have to think about it for a while.....

hubbyofadisneyholic
04-23-2009, 08:22 PM
For me it's the smell of the popcorn at the stand just as you enter the MK. We always hit MK 1st and that lets me know we are REALLY at WDW!!;)

MNNHFLTX
04-23-2009, 08:47 PM
The caramel popcorn from the kiosk near Liberty Square. :tasty:

ilovemyjj31
04-23-2009, 09:48 PM
i know this is weird, but i love the smell of the shampoo in the hotel room..lol..
The smell of the water rides, the smell of the brakes in test track...the bakery on main st, the smell of dole whips at aloha isle, the smell of ribs at wilderness, popcorn, omg i could go on!!LOL:popcorn::eyes:

dizneefan67
04-23-2009, 10:20 PM
First of all, :welcome:!!!!!

Now on to answering your question and I know this is gonna sound VERY off the wall, but my favorite Disney Smell is the "DISNEY AIR" inside the buildings! I know, I know, its weird but after working for Disney, I really miss them smell of the cold artic blat of air you get when you enter a merchandise shop, attraction or any other building! When I was a Jngle Cruise Skipper, I really missed the "DISNEY AIR" after being on the river all day long, but it made me appreciate the air during my lunch breaks! :mickey:

Will

disneyboy98
04-23-2009, 10:29 PM
1. POTC que line
2. Poly lobby
3. Bakery on MS
4. Burning of Rome on SSE
5. The roasted almonds in all the parks

beksy
04-23-2009, 10:37 PM
First off, Welcome! I love the water smells too. There's just something different about them! I also love the smells in Philharmagic and there is just a "Disney" smell, especially in the MK. It's primarily popcorn but mixed with whatever else I'm near...its hard to explain but tells me I'm at WDW! :cloud9:

minnesotafreeze
04-24-2009, 12:12 AM
I like the cool refreshing smell at the HM.:mickey:

tjstrike
04-24-2009, 02:30 AM
I love the funnel cake smell next to America in the world showcase, I also love the pine smell in Soarin when you pass over the kayakers.

Dragongirlx
04-24-2009, 03:34 AM
The smell of the christmas shop in Magic Kingdom - I love it

playdead88
04-24-2009, 06:15 AM
the way main street smells first thing in the a.m - we get early bfast reservations at MK and get there before opening - when you walk down main street you can smell the fresh watered flowers, the bakery and the candy store - its my favorite smell on earth!

BugeyedMuggy
04-24-2009, 06:30 AM
At the AKL on the right side of the lobby there is a bridge near Victoria Falls, if you walk over the bridge you can smell the buffet at Boma.:cloud9:

Also the jasmine in the AKL market place.:thumbsup:

handmaidenofprincesses
04-24-2009, 07:57 AM
Okay, like many of you I also love the scent of the water rides and the oranges from Soarin' (I'll peel an orange with my fingers specifically to get the scent under my fingernails so I can smell it all day haha)...

But I'm also a bit strange because I swear the air conditioning has a specific smell, so I miss that, and also, I miss the smell of the rain... because Disney rain smells different from the rain we get up here (I don't think it gets hot enough up here) I think it happens when the rain hits the hot pavement and makes steam :)

Giggy
04-24-2009, 10:19 AM
The chilli dog breath on Stitch.......ok, maybe not! :mickey:

Soph and Han's Mom
04-24-2009, 11:01 AM
For sure the hotel lobby smell. Makes me feel like I am officially on vacation! Gives me goose bumps.

And why does the monorail smell so bad anyway? I always think it smells like they have been transporting hay and horses. Not awesome!

Pagan
04-24-2009, 11:10 AM
burning Rome in SSE...
Without a doubt! :thumbsup:

DawsonAR
04-24-2009, 12:46 PM
Rome burning---SSE

TikiLounger
04-24-2009, 05:05 PM
so I miss that, the rain... because Disney rain smells different from the rain we get up here (I don't think it gets hot enough up here) I think it happens when the rain hits the hot pavement and makes steam :)

Oh! As a fellow New Englander, I know exactly what you mean! Sometimes? When the weather is really beautiful and warm and it's been raining off and on, I'll go outside to the patio and it ALMOST smells like a rainy Disney day( or a dewy Disney morning). Never exactly the same, though. Here are the other smells I love:

Pirates of the Caribbean
the pine scent from Soarin'
the oranges from Soarin'
The Boiler Room area of the ToT queue
the smell of popcorn
the lobby of the Polynesian

Missy_Mouses_Dad
04-24-2009, 05:43 PM
I love the smell of the hotdogs at Casey's and the oranges at Soar'n. The DW and DD just love the smell of Disney in general. How about the pies at Philharmagic for dessert after Casey's?

maxrebo77
04-24-2009, 05:45 PM
Rome burning on SSE smells to me like the ribs at HDD. All in all a good thing.

Captain_Nemo
04-24-2009, 06:28 PM
the musty smell of SSE always hit it first on trip. and dark ages scene. Smells of soarin do it for me to but the SSE smell always brings back memories of first trip. come to think of it, all the classic attractions have that smell.

ShanPooh
04-24-2009, 11:33 PM
The citrusy smell of whatever cleaner they used in the Contemporary about 20 years ago :D
I would definitely remember it if I smelled it again.

Mickey91
04-24-2009, 11:42 PM
Cotton candy and popcorn...the first smell as you walk down Main Street USA!!:mickey:

DisneyorBust
04-25-2009, 07:49 AM
The unique scent of the Polynesian as you enter the Great Ceremonial House lobby.
-Main Street Bakery! Especially the first time you stop ther during your vacation.
-Who doesn't like the smell of "Rome Burning" (other than the Romans of course!):D
-Orange groves during Soarin'

kathiep
04-25-2009, 08:12 AM
I love the smeall of the building at the Polynesian when you first walk into them. (with the exception of the area around Capt Cook's; for some reason, I didn't enjoy that area).

I also love the smell when you first get on the monorail.

EpcotFan182
04-25-2009, 12:40 PM
Before SSE was renovated I loved the smoky smell of the Dark Ages!

I also love the smell of the Confectionary in the MK. :mickey:

PixieMagic
04-25-2009, 01:36 PM
Here is a list of DH & my favorite smells:

- The town burning in POTC
- Great ceremonial house @ Poly
- First walking out of your longhouse in the morning @Poly with the mix of freshly watered flowers and the humid dewy morning
- Rome burning in SSE
- Orange groves on soarin
- Food cooking @ Teppan Edo
- Main Street Bakery
- Water rides (esp the mist portion of POTC)
- Acid test room on TT
- The breeze as you cross the lagoon to MK on the resort ferry s

I'm sure there are a thousand more - but those are our first thoughts.... :cloud9:

Figment78
04-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Definitely the candied nuts in Epcot as you enter the WS and the poly lobby!

CuteAsMinnie
04-26-2009, 12:16 PM
That's easy!!!

POC!!!! Hands down!!!!:)

amd780
04-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Rome burning in SSE and the "Disney water" smell! :mickey:

SandmanGStefani24
04-26-2009, 09:44 PM
for me, there are some less conventional smells that I love...

1. The smoldering Rome ruins in SE (it's my fave attraction, what can i say?)
2. The bakery in Norway
3. I don't eat funnel cakes, but I love the smell!

alliekat
04-26-2009, 10:52 PM
There is a part of the TTA when you go through Space Mountain and then you come around the turn to head back outside, there is a smell there, not sure what just a sense of something exciting is just around the bend. Of course the water rides. The scent of Schoolhouse bread in Norway, that's like coming home for dessert.
I miss them all!

RAIDER
04-27-2009, 08:43 AM
The turkey legs in frontier land in MK :cloud9:

The smell of the orange grove when your ridin on Soarin :cloud9:

poeticeclipse
04-27-2009, 10:35 AM
My favorite WDW scents....

-Rome Burning (seriously, nothing beats it. My heart starts beating faster when I know it's coming up!)

-The "fresh air" smell right outside of AK when you are walking towards the busses. And I think you can smell it more when the sun is beating down on you for some reason. It's a very distinct scent of grass and warm pavement. haha!

-I totally think that smelling the shampoo in the WDW hotels make my day start better. I love taking the bottles home and using them. :cloud9:

-Also, ever since i was 13, i've used the same Chapstik during every WDW vacation. I always have to buy the same kind before a trip because it's my "Florida Chapstik" and everytime I use it when i'm not in Florida I can think back to the nice warm weather beating down on me.

Okay... my not so favorite scent....
The dirty sock smell of the monorail. NASTY!

Gator
04-27-2009, 08:05 PM
Two smells in particular. First, I love the smell of the Flame Tree BBQ. It's sooo yummy. Second, I love the smell of the gift shop in Norway. The combination of the men's and women's fragrance is incredible. I can often smell it when I turn the corner in the World Showcase.

SandmanGStefani24
04-27-2009, 10:43 PM
First of all, :welcome:!!!!!

Now on to answering your question and I know this is gonna sound VERY off the wall, but my favorite Disney Smell is the "DISNEY AIR" inside the buildings! I know, I know, its weird but after working for Disney, I really miss them smell of the cold artic blat of air you get when you enter a merchandise shop, attraction or any other building! When I was a Jngle Cruise Skipper, I really missed the "DISNEY AIR" after being on the river all day long, but it made me appreciate the air during my lunch breaks! :mickey:

Will

I'M SO GLAD SOMEONE ELSE NOTICED THIS! :number1:

I think all the rides have this smell I can't describe, and have never smelled anywhere else. The water rides are the most noticable, but they all have it to a degree.

poeticeclipse
04-28-2009, 08:58 AM
Two smells in particular. First, I love the smell of the Flame Tree BBQ. It's sooo yummy. Second, I love the smell of the gift shop in Norway. The combination of the men's and women's fragrance is incredible. I can often smell it when I turn the corner in the World Showcase.

Back in '05 I met the fragrance designer and during our conversation I told him that his fragrance DEFINES that pavillion and that I loved it. I think I creeped him out a bit... haha!

Disney-lovin' Dutchman
04-28-2009, 09:02 AM
Monorail! I know it stinks, but it stinks like nostalgia ;)

Furthermore, all the water rides

Diz-Knee
04-28-2009, 11:57 AM
My favorite smell is the Mexico Pavillion at Epcot!

Adios!

ASweetLov
04-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Ok I am gonna sound weird for saying this lol, but one of the smells I love from WDW is right outside the Cantina de San Angel ( I think thats how its called) the counter service restaurant in the Mexico pavillian. I am half spanish and lived in my dads country for several years when I was a kid and the smell of that place reminds me of my mom or grandma cooking lol. The food looks gross there though, so the foods dont look the same its just that smell :D, I love the Churros there though, Yum!

AdventurerKim
04-28-2009, 03:43 PM
My favorite smells are the HM (I love that old house smell!), apple pie makes me think of Philharmagic, and food cooking at Mama Melrose's.

BluewaterBrad
04-28-2009, 04:08 PM
i have to say the water in the POTC. Loved it in the 70's, and still do!!:mickey:

Imagineer1981
04-28-2009, 05:29 PM
Welcome to Intercot!:welcome:

I love the bakery on Main St. and the orange smell on Soarin'.

did you know the bakery smell is fake? its pumped into mainstreet to lure guests in

PrettyMinnie
04-28-2009, 05:46 PM
MAIN STREET!! The Bakery is Great, but I love everything about Main Street! :minnie:

WDW-Geek
04-29-2009, 02:28 PM
I know it's really strange, but I love the smell of the monorail. Not so much because it's an... *ahem*... pleasant smell, but rather it often indicates (about 50% of the time) I' m on my way to the MK. :mickey:

morebroccoli
04-29-2009, 02:31 PM
Monorail! I know it stinks, but it stinks like nostalgia ;)

best answer yet!

MaxPower
04-29-2009, 06:36 PM
The oranges on Soarin- which makes me miss the oranges on Horizons.

Minnie97
04-29-2009, 07:45 PM
My favorite is the orange field on Soarin:mickey:

baldburke
04-29-2009, 08:59 PM
Its not a park smell, but I must say the smell of the AKL was great. Sort of a spicy smell? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'd be interested to know what it is exactly.

danimator
04-30-2009, 05:32 PM
I've never stayed there; only had dinner. But I love, love, love the smell of the Grand Floridian; the whole foyer/lobby. Combines with the music and architecture, it's absolutely overwhelming when I step in there.

It's sort of a spicey/sweet/cinammon/pomegranate smell, and it's absolutely wonderful. I've gone online in search of it many times; the only thing I've found is one person saying that it's the smell of Stargazer Lilies. I'd love to know for sure!

WriteDisney
05-01-2009, 07:54 PM
the water on Splash Mountain

all the smells in Soarin and Philharmagic

and like another poster said... the lobby at POFQ

:thumbsup:

Live4WDW
05-01-2009, 10:30 PM
:mickey: The french fries from long ago, in the 70's, and eighties before McDonalds fries took the spot....

i'm grumpy
05-01-2009, 11:10 PM
The cookies on Main St. :D

Checkers
05-02-2009, 08:44 AM
:mickey::welcome: to Intercot!

My favorite smell is the hot doggy one at the Boardwalk area. Oh, and also the pine scent in Soarin.

LudwigVonDrake
05-02-2009, 11:07 AM
The smell of the bakery on Main Street USA, the water in PotC and Splash Mountain, the pie in Mickey's Philharmagic, the orange scent in Soarin', the smell of the trains on Big Thunder, Rome burning in SSE, and probably a few more I can't think of right now :mickey:

fabfundisney
05-10-2009, 09:16 PM
My favorite has to be the cotton candy/popcorn aroma that hits you when you're walking down MainStreet. :cloud9:

spoonful of sugar
05-13-2009, 01:22 PM
For me it's the smell of the popcorn at the stand just as you enter the MK.

i totally agree with you on this!

Mom2princesses
05-14-2009, 05:11 PM
Wow I must be strange because I absolutely hate the smell of WDW water. To me water should not have a smell at all. I hate it when I take a shower. But it seems like so many of you love it.

My favorite smell? The loby of GCH of the Poly!

I also love the Main Street Bakery.

DeniseMB
05-14-2009, 05:41 PM
Campfire at Fort Wilderness Campground
Bakery on Main Street:mickey:

Rhetoric2000
05-15-2009, 11:56 AM
The lobby of POFQ.

I love this answer. Very true, especially in the glory-days of Scat Cats.

I also love the smell of Epcot Future World, which is sadly the only thing left from when it was good.

Olivia's Daddy
05-15-2009, 03:47 PM
The old hotel soap. The one in the black wrapper with Mickey on it. The new stuff is nice, but the old one takes me back.

Iluvpooh
05-15-2009, 08:48 PM
The roasted nuts they sell at EPCOT on the WS side at night.(For some reason I only notice the smell at night.)

kbean
05-15-2009, 09:36 PM
That darn water smell like everybody says. And the popcorn stands they place around at night. It always tells me that the day is over.

TeamJonasSister
05-15-2009, 10:15 PM
I love the smell at the bakery and ice cream shop in the Magic Kingdom!

midgetpepper
05-16-2009, 10:28 AM
WOW! You guys are overloading me here! I have soooooo many things I need to smell while I'm there! :funny:

I'll def have to come back and see which one of these smells I agree with! :)

Darbylew
05-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Frist of all I would like to welcome you to
Intercot. :rocks::welcome: You will love it here.
I think that MK is my favorite park with the
smell of Main Street as you walk down it. I do
love the smell of Flame Tree B-BQ as you walk
by at AK. I did love the McDonald fry smell but
where did the fries go? When we were there in
March the McDonald places were closed or :confused:
changed to something else. Does anyone know?
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GOING BACK IN
NOVEMBER 2009. :D:mickey:

Iluvpooh
05-16-2009, 08:45 PM
did you know the bakery smell is fake? its pumped into mainstreet to lure guests in
The smell is not actually fake, but yes they do pump it outside. It is kind of like when you open a window when you are baking-the whole neighborhood can smell it.

joanakaylene
05-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Mine has to be the (slightly gross) smell of the water post-drop in Splash Mountain. My family always complains about it, but I feel like it might be one of the most unique and "I'm-at-Disney" smells there is.

that is also my favorite. my niece and i have a running joke where we'll say "I SMELL SPLASH MOUNTAIN!" whenever we get close to disney world. occasionally I will smell water just like it in the randomest places and if i close my eyes i swear i'm at disney world!

tinkerddeedee
05-19-2009, 08:00 PM
OHMYGOSH!!!!!!
I have 2, and there weird!!!!
ok, my second fav smell is the wood burning smell in spaceship earth, when rome was burning!
And my very fav smell at WDW is the very pretty pie smell they spray at you during philharmagic. I even aske the CM there if they sold it in a bottle!!!! They didn't :(:mad:

parrothed26
05-19-2009, 08:39 PM
My favorite smell... I knew when I smelled it when I was a child that we were almost there but I didnt know what it was untill I was older. Its the smell of burning diesel fuel from the trams in the parking lots. I know its crazy, but those trams took us to Disney World! lol Even today when I smell diesel fuel burning anywhere I think of WDW

Tinkerbella16
05-20-2009, 03:40 PM
The musty water smell on all the rides that involve water.

The Main Street Bakery, inside & outside of the door...yummmm!

Always love the smell of HM, SSE, and all the others i love..WDW just has a smell to everything and I love it!!

And I really love the smell inside the Mexico Pavilion...you walk right thru those doors and the AC and smell hits you right in the face...ahhh thats when I say "I'm Here!"

slegrant
05-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Being on a boat from Fort Wilderness to either the MK or the Wilderness Lodge, I just take a deep breath and know I have arrived:mickey:

jakeybake
05-21-2009, 08:23 AM
This one is probably going to sound weird, but then again if anyone would understand it, it would be my Intercot pals!

The smell in the tunnel/walkway area on Splash Mountain. It's a combination of a/c and and the water on the ride. To clarify, it's the section before you get down to the loading area, where you can look down on all the folks getting into the logs.

Weird I know.

Jay

estein80
05-21-2009, 11:26 AM
The smell of waffle cones from the ice cream shop on Main Street. And the smell of Rome on Spaceship Earth.

My husband likes to comment on the "Disney" smells everywhere we go at WDW.

c&d
05-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Don't ask me why, it's the popcorn smell on Main Street combined with the sounds and I know I'm back.