PDA

View Full Version : New owners!! Anything we should know?

mickey&missy
04-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Hi everyone!

DH and I just bought 200 points at AKV! I' m so excited I can't even put it into words! I never thought DH would do it! But, he did really with out any hesitation! He was even the one who suggested we take the tour last month!

Anyway, I think I have a pretty good understanding of how everything works etc, although I'm still a little confused about banking/borrowing. I've been researching DVC off and on forever in hopes that DH would realize one day that it was the right thing for our family of 5!

We are planning a trip for January 2010 with our family of 5 and my sisters family of 5! We will be, hopefully, be staying in a grand villa at OKW and using our 2009 points and some of 2010, our use year is Feb. I'm hoping to purchase some more points in the near future, maybe 100 or so. I'm thinking of doing resale and perhaps VWL!

I was wondering if there is anything you veterans wish you had known or any tips that I should know!!!

TIA!!!

laprana
04-23-2009, 09:59 AM
I can't offer any tips or advice because I'm still a newbie to DVC myself! (We're taking our first trip to WDW as DVC members in just 31 days! :joy:) But, I just wanted to say :congrats: and Welcome Home! :thumbsup:

DVC Mike
04-23-2009, 11:58 AM
Congrats!

ThanxForNoticin
04-23-2009, 12:00 PM
Congratulations on your purchase. I can tell you we bought at OKW back in the 90s, and we have never regretted the purchase. The flexibility is terrific. And one of the primary reasons we purchased was to do exactly what you are doing - take family and friends along with us.

There are probably a million things to suggest, but if you monitor Intercot periodically, you'll pick up a lot of great pointers. A couple suggestions I wanted to make now, though.

- You will get the most out of your points if you are a good planner, and if you are already out into 2010, it sounds like you are a planner.

- Be somewhat flexible and at least have a "Plan B" available. For example, you say you want to book a Grand Villa at OKW for a few nights in January. Since you don't own at OKW, you can only make your reservations 7 months in advance. Make sure you call exactly 7 months out. If by chance the Grand Villas are gone at that point, what options might you have? A 2BR and a Studio? Another resort? Just something to think about.

- If you are planning a trip where you are staying at AKV (your home resort), if it's at all possible, take advantage by making your reservations during the extra 4-month window you get as an owner there. It will greatly improve your chances of getting the room and nights you want.

Good luck and enjoy DVC. We truly have been very happy with our ownership. I hope you are, too.

MinnieMommie
04-23-2009, 05:39 PM
:congrats: and
:welcome: Home!!

I agree - Just watch these boards and many questions will be answered. Enjoy! :mickey:

tomatoe pie
04-24-2009, 10:02 AM
you will love your new home! 200 pts is a good number and you can always add on later if you need.:congrats::welcome:

akv is fantastic.:thumbsup:

mickey&missy
04-24-2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks everyone!!! We're super excited like I said! I can't wait to until January to take our very first DVC trip! I never, ever thought we'd be members!

vizsla
04-25-2009, 07:19 AM
:mickey:Congrats and Welcome Home:mickey: