PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever heard of "Verified by Visa"?

alphamommy
04-22-2009, 08:46 PM
I was in the process of ordering something from a website, and during check-out, I was sent off to another site for an application called "Verified by Visa".

This site wanted my e-mail address, and wanted me to set up a password. It said that it would provide me with "added security" when buying from "participating companies".

I've never heard of this feature, and decided against placing my order until I can find out more about what this is.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Used it?

Thanks!

Ed
04-22-2009, 08:49 PM
For what it's worth:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verified_by_Visa

DizneyRox
04-22-2009, 09:24 PM
I see it all the time, never had a problem. It's not really a choice that you have to use or not to use it if the merchant decides they want to participate. Your choice is to use it, or shop elsewhere.

Magic Smiles
04-22-2009, 10:24 PM
Yes I have heard of it, but not had to use it as of yet. Our VISA cards come with a PIN now also.

Tink2002
04-23-2009, 01:32 AM
I've had this happen to me a few times, however, most recently I was able to click something to the tune of "register later" or "not now" and bypass filling in the information. Honestly, if they ask for the 3 digits off the back I don't really understand why any more than that is necessary.

DizneyRox
04-23-2009, 06:37 AM
Honestly, if they ask for the 3 digits off the back I don't really understand why any more than that is necessary.
Because if someone has your card, they have the code as well.

ryca1dreams
04-23-2009, 08:27 AM
Yeah, read the "criticism" part of the wikipidia link above. I'm still a little spooked by third party pop up sites myself and the lack of an SSL protocol would be even more unnerving. I've never seen this, but I usually pick trustworthy secure sites and constantly check my statement.

In response to the last post (DizneyRox), if someone else has your card or you've lost it, make sure you cancel your account immediately so they can't use it.

Tink2002
04-23-2009, 03:14 PM
right... if my card is missing I can cancel the account....but I would have no way of knowing if someone wrote down my card number while ordering something by phone, for instance, so that's where the 3-digit code on the back helps.

Magic Smiles
04-23-2009, 06:00 PM
right... if my card is missing I can cancel the account....but I would have no way of knowing if someone wrote down my card number while ordering something by phone, for instance, so that's where the 3-digit code on the back helps.
What would stop them from also writing down the additional code?

Tink2002
04-23-2009, 08:44 PM
you know what... I'm not sure. Please forgive me for making the first comment. I'm not a financial expert, I was just contributing my two cents. And I'm done with this conversation now, since it no longer even relates to the poster's initial question.

pixiesmimi
04-25-2009, 11:10 PM
I ran into this recently, I think on Wal-Mart.com. My husband ran into it when trying to order something and asked me about it. It kind of scared me so we clicked off. But then I ran into it on a secure site I trust and I went ahead and registered for it. Every once in a while it pops up and I have to look up my password, but haven't seen it very much. Our bank, who issues our Visa debit cards, pretty much insists that we use it when possible so I guess it is another layer of security for us.

alphamommy
04-27-2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks for all the replies!

When I first ran into this, the website I was trying to order from sent me off to a different site to register with Verified by Visa. Since I didn't know what this was, I backed out, and went on with my life.

Well, I did until the next day, when I tried to use the same credit card at a couple different stores (not online), and it was rejected. I thought the two events were probably connected, but was on my way to a friend's house and didn't get to investigate right away.

When I got home, I had a message from the fraud dept. of my credit card company, so I called them back. They wanted to verify that I tried to use the card at the two stores where it was rejected. The credit card guy explained that, if you back out of Verified by Visa, it puts a hold on your account because they assume that the reason you backed out was because you didn't have the info. they were asking for (mother's maiden name, etc.). He took the hold off my account, and told me to go straight to Visa's website to register my card.

I did that, and was able to complete my transaction with the original website without any problems.

Thanks again!