PDA

View Full Version : another stain removal question!

jrkcr
04-22-2009, 05:14 PM
DD9 hurt her foot while I was not home. DD17 laid her on our white couch(with light blue stripes), put an ice pack wrapped in a towel on her foot. Sounds good, right? Well the ice pack had a hole in it, and as it thawed it leaked blue "water" onto the white couch. BRIGHT, turquoise colored water! The couch is supposed to be dry clean only, but with 3 kids and a herd of pets, we have steam cleaned it before. But what cleaner will take out the stain without bleaching out the couches blue stripe?

ANy advice?

Ed
04-22-2009, 05:34 PM
OxiClean, perhaps?

AHOTE
04-22-2009, 10:59 PM
I think I'd contact the maker of the ice pack to see if they might have a solution based on the chemical make-up of the gel inside the pack.

Patricia
04-23-2009, 09:14 AM
This is the one stain I haven't had to tackle yet. :)

I once cleaned black permanent marker off my light colored couch with hair spray (a lot of hair spay, 2 full bottles). I believe the active ingredient in there may have been alcohol, but it removed the marker entirely and didn't harm the two toned cotton fabric.

other ideas..
Mix of water and vinegar
diluted Ammonia

A cup of Tide diluted with enough water to make a runny paste, keep it moist while letting it soak for a few hours... this takes out tough stains such as grass, red wine, etc but is easier to use when you can easily rinse it out, like a table cloth or clothing. Not sure how you would use it in this instance, but if all else fails..

Be sure to test all options in an area that is not visible and let it dry thoroughly before continuing on. I've seen some fabrics take on interesting new hues an hour after treated.