PDA

View Full Version : Economy and WDW Question....[merged threads]

forever a child
04-22-2009, 04:42 PM
With the economy effecting so many people and companies, I am just wondering what types of impact it has had on the parks at WDW?:sad:

Has anyone noticed? I am assuming shows being reduced or canceled or some specific shops closing. But since I have not been to WDW since 2005 I am not sure what to expect when I return. :cry:

I was hoping that some of you that have been there in the last year or two could share what you have noticed. Has something that you looked forward to seeing been canceled or is no longer available? :sadwave: Thanks for sharing!:mickey:

disneymom15
04-22-2009, 05:17 PM
Four for a Dollar pre show (beauty and the beast) at DHS has been discontinued. We really enjoyed that show.

BluewaterBrad
04-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Oh,oh.......................here we go again!!:mickey:

Strmchsr
04-22-2009, 05:28 PM

:cop: Yep. Keep it nice everyone. Nothing political. No soap boxes. Answer the OP's question only, please. :cop:

In regards to the question...actually it seems the economy has yet to impact WDW beyond them laying people off. According to everyone who has been in 2009 the parks are actually much more crowded than previous years, though it seems many people are cutting back on souvenir buying. Whether this is the economy, a lack of quality souvenirs, or both I'm not sure. So, if you're going this year it seems you can expect large crowds and big sales on souvenirs.

TinaAndGlenn
04-22-2009, 05:37 PM
DH & I returned on sunday from 5 nights at Wilderness Lodge. WDW was as packed as usual, and it did not seem that anyone was cutting back on anything. World of Disney at DV was very crowded on the 2 nights we shopped there. We rented a car to go off property for a couple dinners and shopping. We went to Festival Bay Mall (Outdoor World & RonJon Surf shop are the 2 BIG stores), it is a fairly new mall. There were only a SMALL handful of stores in the mall. We asked at a shoe store and they said all the other stores closed because of the economy. We did pass a lot of smaller stores & restaurants that were closed. I think all the OVERFLOW stores for when WDW and Universal are packed have not been able to stay in business.

sassafras
04-22-2009, 06:00 PM
Unfortunately Festival Bay has never really been full of stores. We've been there several times and there were always empty stores! Too bad, since it's such a nice mall!

Magic Smiles
04-22-2009, 07:23 PM
Unfortunately Festival Bay has never really been full of stores. We've been there several times and there were always empty stores! Too bad, since it's such a nice mall!

I agree. We have been to that mall at least 3 times on past visits and there are hardly any stores. I don't understand why as it seems like it would be a great location. We love Ron Jons but usually head to the one at Cocoa Beach for a better selection. Isn't that the same mall that has the Van's Skate Park?

forever a child
04-22-2009, 07:31 PM
Four for a Dollar pre show (beauty and the beast) at DHS has been discontinued. We really enjoyed that show.

Oh I really enjoyed that show.

forever a child
04-22-2009, 07:33 PM

Sorry, I wasn't trying to open up a can of worms. Just wanted to know what was missing:blush:

forever a child
04-22-2009, 07:36 PM
I saw on another threat something about Fantasmic being offered on certain nights. I thought I remember it being every night before (maybe I was wrong) but if not, when did that change occur?:confused:

TikiLounger
04-22-2009, 07:46 PM
I read (somewhere) that attendance at the parks is up slightly from last year at this time. My guess is lots of people think a Disney vacation is the best way to "forget" about everything for a while and just enjoy. I know I do...

Strmchsr
04-22-2009, 08:16 PM
I saw on another threat something about Fantasmic being offered on certain nights. I thought I remember it being every night before (maybe I was wrong) but if not, when did that change occur?:confused:

That changed this year. They're only doing it a couple of times a week. Not sure how long that will continue, but it's going for the foreseeable future.

forever a child
04-22-2009, 08:29 PM
That changed this year. They're only doing it a couple of times a week. Not sure how long that will continue, but it's going for the foreseeable future.

Well that's good to know because that is our favorite evening show and we'll want to watch for that while we are there. Thanks!

TheVBs
04-23-2009, 12:19 PM
We're heading there in a week. :mickey: We haven't been since 2007 and I know there's no way we're going to allow ourselves to be bothered with whatever may not be there this time around. WDW has so much to offer and so much to do that we could easily be busy all day and all night and still not get it all in. I'm just so happy we're getting to go and I know we'll enjoy whatever we do while we're there. :cloud9:

forever a child
04-23-2009, 04:29 PM
We're heading there in a week. :mickey: We haven't been since 2007 and I know there's no way we're going to allow ourselves to be bothered with whatever may not be there this time around. WDW has so much to offer and so much to do that we could easily be busy all day and all night and still not get it all in. I'm just so happy we're getting to go and I know we'll enjoy whatever we do while we're there. :cloud9:

I agree, but I am a little bit of a creature of habit so I want to know what "not" to expect. Plus I seem to be so forgetful lately that I might start thinking I imagined something being somewhere and drive myself crazy trying to find it when it is just no longer available. :crazy:Yep, I probably would!:silly:

caryrae
04-23-2009, 04:33 PM

Weren't they cutting back on Fantasmic because of the American Idol thing?

doodleboy
04-23-2009, 10:34 PM
With all the talk of how busy the parks have been during the recession I thought this article from the NY Times dated July 31, 1982 was hilarious. The last big recession was in full swing and WDW was packed then too.

http://www.nytimes.com/1982/07/31/us/hard-times-don-t-get-past-disney-world-door.html

History does repeat itself.

doodleboy
04-23-2009, 10:37 PM
In response to the OP, WDW is busier than ever. If shows have been eliminated or cut back, it's not because of lack of people visiting the parks. If you surf this board for a while you will see many trip reports of overwhelming crowds at times that are unexpected. Even the crowd calendar predictor has had to change it's numbers to keep up.

deedeenmickey
04-24-2009, 06:48 AM
That is so funny and true!! I guess I'll be taking my cottage cheese thighs to Disney World in June!!! Ha Ha!:secret:

PetefromRI
04-24-2009, 07:50 AM
What a great article.Thanks for submitting it.

Lynn J Mc
04-24-2009, 08:23 AM
We were some of the ones who cobbled together $20 bills. I was 15. Don't know how my parents did it at the time.

TheRustyScupper
04-24-2009, 08:38 AM
1) Interesting article.
2) Of course, escapism might be the reason for full parks.
3) But, the comments about unionization is dumb.
4) Characters already are unionized, and have been for years.

TheRustyScupper
04-24-2009, 08:41 AM
:cop: Yep. Keep it nice everyone. Nothing political. No soap boxes.

1) Shucks, there go my answers.
2) Let's just say that there are effects at WDW.
3) Sure, attendance is down "only" 5%, but at big bucks, 5% is a lot of money.

vicster
04-24-2009, 08:59 AM
WOW - $150.00 for tickets. I wonder how many days that was for?

mudpuppysmom
04-24-2009, 09:04 AM
With my fist full of 20's and my blue cheese (hey, I like blue cheese) thighs, I'll be making my way to the world in October......I'm sure I'll have to mudder, "I'll knock the fire out of you" a few times too.......and "If you don't behave yourself we're going back to the hotel" (which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't b/c kids get tired too and idle threats are welcome by them).

Dsnygirl
04-24-2009, 09:07 AM
1) 3) But, the comments about unionization is dumb.
4) Characters already are unionized, and have been for years.
Just a note... the article was written back in July of '82 and re-printed today in the NYT. Probably why the unions weren't organized yet. ;)

Interesting... except the part about Americans & their weight... how in the heck does that come into play as part of the econmic issues?? Some people are heavy, thus the downturn must not be that bad, since we're not all emaciated?? Very silly. We've got models making millions who are malnourished... it was in the papers this week! :secret:

Anyway... I agree with the escapism wholeheartedly... not blind escapism, mind you, but the realization on many people's parts, ours included, that you need something to look forward to. And if Disney is your "thing", and you can find a way, any way, to swing it, you're going to go and put it all behind you as you go under that magical Walt Disney World sign!! :thumbsup: Survival during rough times is worth celebrating!! :D

mickey&missy
04-24-2009, 10:13 AM
I completely agree with the escapism point. I also think that people aren't as scared as they were 6 months ago or so. People are realizing what they need to do to get by, live with in their means and still do certain things. Their vacation to WDW may not be as big or deluxe as it may have been in the past but people are still going.

We have been twice since the beginning of 09 and found the parks quite full in both January and March. Both times DH and I comment to one another that it maybe a good sign that people are out and vacationing and having fun!

TheVBs
04-24-2009, 05:07 PM
I agree, but I am a little bit of a creature of habit so I want to know what "not" to expect. Plus I seem to be so forgetful lately that I might start thinking I imagined something being somewhere and drive myself crazy trying to find it when it is just no longer available. :crazy:Yep, I probably would!:silly:

I can definitely relate! It does help to know what to expect. As for being forgetful.....

... What were we talking about? :confused:;)

DisneyNut2005
04-24-2009, 05:36 PM
Weren't they cutting back on Fantasmic because of the American Idol thing?

Nope. That was nothing more than just another false rumor.