PDA

View Full Version : Shopping Frustration!

DVC2004
04-22-2009, 09:48 AM
So yesterday I ran all over town (and some of the surrounding ones) looking for some specific items for our upcoming trip- a pair of crocs sandals (specific style, new) for my son and a waterproof camera case for my husbands camera. At every place I went I was told that they didn't have and wouldn't get any in. I am finding alot lately that I have to do more and more shopping online because stores just don't stock anything other than the usual anymore. Economy or just changing times? Does anyone else find this happening to them as well. Sort of miss being able to just go somewhere and bring something home that day!

Hull-onian
04-22-2009, 01:54 PM
This is true. I was looking for a certain item and couldn't find it. I decided I wasn't spending more time and gas. So I went on line and made the purchase. It was inexpensive and easy.

kakn7294
04-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Locally, I think it's more the economy than anything else. Shelves at all kinds of stores are empty - Walmart, Target, grocery stores, clothing stores, etc. They only stock a few of each item rather than the 50 they used to stock and when they sell out, it takes a long time to get them back in. I don't dislike online shopping but I think it has a lot of disadvantages. I hate paying shipping, I hate waiting to get my merchandise which sometimes takes 2 weeks or longer, and I hate not being able to see and handle what I'm purchasing because if it's not right when I get it, I hate the hassle of sending it back.

pixiesmimi
04-25-2009, 11:27 PM
I find myself shopping on line more and more because our nearest shopping mall is 30 miles away and I usually don't have time to just run up there. Our town doesn't have much except Wal-Mart. And I find most of the time after driving 30 miles that the stores don't stock what I want any more. I get really ticked when I have to run all over town and still don't find what I am looking for. Hence, I shop on line but try to choose companies that either don't charge shipping, have shipping discounts or ship very quickly. Try the Croc outlet on line for your son's shoes. They have a lot of good prices and right now the new lines are on sale, too. Our local store that sold Crocs no longer sells them so I just go on line to buy them.

wdw_bound
04-26-2009, 10:49 AM
I definitely agree that selection has gone way down at most retailers.

I'm a plus size, and I've noticed that many local stores are no longer carrying "play clothes" that look halfway decent (skorts, polos, etc.). Shopping online is hard because of getting the fit just right, but a few weeks ago, I discovered a feature of the Lands End site that is terrific. You can create a virtual model of yourself by entering height, weight and other measurements. You can even select hair color and skin tone. Then as I find things throughout the site, I can try them on my virtual model. It even recommends a size and tells me how that size will fit certain parts of my body. The virtual model actually told me not to get a skort because it would not fit my body shape properly! They are a bit pricier than, say Target, but having the styles I like and the relative assurance that they will fit nicely makes it worth it (not to mention reducing the trauma of trying on bathing suits in person!!!). I am definitely sold. Plus, you can often find sales and discounts that make it an even better value.

Ian
04-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Retailers are gun shy at keeping deep stock on lower volume item, so they're just not replacing them when they run out.

You're not going to find oddball items in the stores anymore. For one-offs I almost always go online.

WDWDale
04-29-2009, 08:01 AM
If I have a very specific item in mind, I'll go online to amazon.com first to see if its carried there. The big box retailers just don't carry it. There aren't any real specialty stores in the area, so I don't have much choice there. The internet has been wonderful. The only downside I see is the potential to return an item...that's more of a hassle than going back to a store.

DisneyDog
04-30-2009, 10:23 AM
I have a different situation because of where I live. I live just 10 minutes away from the King of Prussia Mall, the largest retail shopping mall in the country. If you can't find it there, it doesn't exist, is what I always say. Also, not too far away, are the new Philadelphia Premium Outlets, which is pretty big. I know they have a Crocs outlet, so that is probably the first place I would look if searching for Crocs.

However, I will often look online first before shopping, just to see if something exists and what I should expect to pay for the item. I find that very helpful. I also always carry my iphone with me, so I can do research on-the-go.

Melanie
04-30-2009, 05:19 PM
Sort of miss being able to just go somewhere and bring something home that day!

I've become the queen of online shopping in the past three years, and I'm done! Limited supplies or not, I'll be elated to go to a store this summer when we return to the States and just have a little bit of selection. Here it's take it or leave it and deal with it.

NotaGeek
04-30-2009, 05:57 PM
I've become the queen of online shopping in the past three years, and I'm done! Limited supplies or not, I'll be elated to go to a store this summer when we return to the States and just have a little bit of selection. Here it's take it or leave it and deal with it.
TARGET! You're almost home!

Disney-4-Me
05-01-2009, 02:59 PM
I'm not sure if this is true but I saw a news item that stated that Crocs are not going to be made anymore.

pixiesmimi
05-02-2009, 08:07 PM
I'm not sure Crocs would be coming out with more new styles every week like they are now if they weren't going to be made any more. I think they are too popular for the company to stop making them. A lot of stores have stopped selling them because they now have a Croc Outlet online at their website and you can get some pretty good prices on them. I bought a bunch right before Christmas for the whole family because they were such good prices. The stores in our area can't compete with this so aren't carrying them anymore. At first, it was rare to find a store that could qualify to carry them but it seems like all the stores carry them now.

Piglet822
05-04-2009, 12:22 PM
I also do a lot more of my shopping online. It's so much more convenient.
I spoke to a friend of ours who owns a camera store and asked him about the waterproof cases for the cameras (I found a bunch on ebay or you can go the website of your camera's manufacturer) his reply to me was to just go out and buy one of the inexpensive waterproof instamatic type cameras. I actually did buy one on our cruise last year and I'm able to replace the camera and reuse the case, although I haven't done this yet.

DisneyPrincess21
05-04-2009, 01:26 PM
I am finding alot lately that I have to do more and more shopping online because stores just don't stock anything other than the usual anymore. Economy or just changing times? Does anyone else find this happening to them as well. Sort of miss being able to just go somewhere and bring something home that day!

I have given up on buying most things at a local store because it is usually more hassel to find it than it is worth. I buy almost everything online because I can find exactly what I am looking for, And things that I would never find at the local store. Plus things are almost always on sale online, And I usually am able to find a coupon to use online also, So I always get a great value!
On my past trip in december, I was looking for new crocs for my family, I bought then online at Sports Authority, And they were on sale for like $19 and I found a coupon so I ended up getting them for only $12 dollars. Plus they had free shipping and free return shipping. I love getting great deals