PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a family of six?

DizHawk
04-21-2009, 01:37 PM
My wife and I are trying to plan a trip in December or January. We will have four children: an eight year old, seven year old, 19 month old and six month old.

I wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions about where to stay with a large family. The family suites at ASMusic are an option, but I'd almost spend the extra money to stay in a garden room at the Contemporary.

Thoughts?

garymacd
04-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Why not look at a one- or two-bedroom unit in OKW or SS? How about a cabin at FW?

We chose OKW for this trip (we leave in 14 days!) It's especially good for us since we are all adults and want to spend as much time together, but not be on top of each other in the bedrooms and the bathrooms. We looked at the prices and we weren't saving much by getting two or three rooms at a value resort.

diz_girl
04-21-2009, 02:09 PM
I'd go for the Garden Wing room at the Contemporary. Most CR rooms sleep 5, as they have two queens and a daybed. The baby will be in the pack 'n' play, so you can fit everyone into a standard room and not break or bend any rules. Once the your 6 month old turns three, then you'll have to worry about staying somewhere other than a standard room.

Also, since you have two small children, you will probably spend a lot of time at the MK, so you are right there and can also hop on the monorail if you want to go to EPCOT. You only need to take buses to go to AK and DHS, but you can also take the boat to DHS when you are already at EPCOT, although I think that you may have to wait until 11 a.m. when World Showcase opens. If you stay at ASM, then you're pretty much reliant on buses. We avoided DHS our past trip, as there are few rides acceptable for small children.

One small tip about the CR and strollers on the monorail - if you have an umbrella stroller you can use the escalator, otherwise you have to wait for an elevator, as normal strollers are too wide for the escalator.

TikiLounger
04-21-2009, 02:10 PM
We had a great time when we stayed in a FW Cabin. Lots of room for you all (especially considering your children's ages) and a kitchen! The campground itself has tons to offer, too.

CosmicRay
04-21-2009, 02:51 PM
I'm Dizhawk's wife and I thought the CR would be great for the very reason of the monorail. We went in December 2 years ago and the lines for other resorts were outrageous! I really don't want to have 2 little ones tired and unhappy while we are waiting for buses.
I think this year CR would be my choice and next year the cabins at FW would be great since the little ones will be a little older. I was hoping to REALLY save money and take our camper, but the camper won't be usable I'm afraid.

Mater
04-21-2009, 03:10 PM
Our family of 6 loves the cabins! It fits us rather well --and when we return to the cabin at night, I don't have to worry about the kids disturbing the neighbors because you don't share walls with other guests, and having a full kitchen is very convenient.

We do rent a cart every time and that saves me from carrying a sleeping child back to the room at night.

PrettyMinnie
04-21-2009, 03:48 PM
I'd go for the Garden Wing room at the Contemporary. Most CR rooms sleep 5, as they have two queens and a daybed. The baby will be in the pack 'n' play, so you can fit everyone into a standard room and not break or bend any rules. Once the your 6 month old turns three, then you'll have to worry about staying somewhere other than a standard room.

Also, since you have two small children, you will probably spend a lot of time at the MK, so you are right there and can also hop on the monorail if you want to go to EPCOT. You only need to take buses to go to AK and DHS, but you can also take the boat to DHS when you are already at EPCOT, although I think that you may have to wait until 11 a.m. when World Showcase opens. If you stay at ASM, then you're pretty much reliant on buses. We avoided DHS our past trip, as there are few rides acceptable for small children.

One small tip about the CR and strollers on the monorail - if you have an umbrella stroller you can use the escalator, otherwise you have to wait for an elevator, as normal strollers are too wide for the escalator.

I agree, the location, convenience and luxury of the Contemporary fit all of your requirement and a bonus since it's a deluxe. We too are a family of six and all of the kids are grown so we can't get away with a Pack n' Play and there isn't a lot of elbow room with 2 adults, three teenagers and an 11 year old. So we have found it easiest to bring the grandparents. Our family then easily breaks down into 2 families of 8 and they love to spoil. We originally thought it might be a bit of a tag along situation, but it's not. They generally do their own thing and we ask if they want to join us for our ADRs. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. So it work out well.

DizHawk
04-21-2009, 04:46 PM

These are some of the reasons we were thinking of CR. Cost-wise, it is only about $600 more than ASM, but we get a monorail resort. For the two little ones, we could get them back to the hotel easier than we could at ASM. Last time we went in December, the buses were so crowded for the AS resorts that we ended up driving our own car to the parks. It was a longer walk when we got there, but shorter wait to get out.

Having never stayed at CR, can you also walk from MK back there? I think you can, but am not sure.

We can't avoid DHS. Our six year old DS and I are huge Star Wars fans and have to ride Star Tours at least twice. However, we could ride the monorail over to Epcot, walk a bit, then ride the boat to DHS, avoiding the bus entirely and enjoying some time together.

Thanks to all for your input.

wdwfansince75
04-21-2009, 09:38 PM
Our four were spread out a little more than yours....11 years between DS#1 and DS#2. DD#1 is 2 1/2 years younger than DS#1, and DD#2 is 2 1/2 years younger than DD#1. Way back when they were all younger, we had the six of us in the garden wings several times, and twice we did the cabins. Both were great, but the CR was the best. (We also did Poly once....with five of us.....slighty more expensive, but an excellent choice....Rooms there can also accomodate six, with one ((or two)) in cribs or pack and play's)......The short monorail ride or the short walk to MK is a very strong plus for younger kids. Also, the ability to get back to the room for breaks will really be a plus.

The South Garden Wing is very close to the pool, and only a short walk away form the main tower. We used to prefer the old North Wing, partially because it was so close to the game room....Now, they are both gone, but the new location of game room and counter service facility, on the fourth floor, is still convenient. Buses to DHS and AK are also very convenient. As may be evident from my signature, we are big fans of the CR.

illini
04-22-2009, 01:26 AM
I think the CR is a great choice. But I just want to make one point.

In a year and a half, you're going to be oversized for any deluxe room at WDW unless you're willing to fork out big, big bucks for two rooms. So make sure you get to experience the resort you really want while you can do it. We missed out on staying at WL, and now we can't (unless we pay dearly for a deluxe room, and I'd have a room at the Poly for less $$$). If your dream is CR, stay there. If it's Poly, stay there. I would highly recommend being on the monorail, though. Much, much easier with kiddos.

tjstrike
04-22-2009, 04:06 AM
Personally, I loved the 2 bedroom villa at BC. The cabins at Ft. wilderness are cool and you also have the new tree houses at SS.

diz_girl
04-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Having never stayed at CR, can you also walk from MK back there? I think you can, but am not sure.

Yes, you can walk to/from the MK. From the MK you basically just walk towards the bus stop and keep going. The path to the Contemporary is to the left of the bus stops and the circular turn arounds for the buses, so just follow the monorail line and you will find it. There is a path that takes you along and sometimes under the monorail line. I think that there is a sign leading you to it. You then cross a street (usually just cast members) and the path then takes you to the main entrance of the CR. You can see the path from Google Earth, although the portion of it that leads from the MK is partially obscured by the monorail line and its shadows . Once the path crosses the street, it is more easily visible. When you are there and are doubtful of its location, just ask a cast member.

Of course, you might walk to the MK from the CR in the morning, but the monorail just seems to be the right way to get to the MK on your first day.

KylesMom
04-22-2009, 11:06 AM
I'd almost spend the extra money to stay in a garden room at the Contemporary.
If you can swing it, I would highly recommend the CR Garden Room. We have some very fond memories of our stays there, and would do so again in a heartbeat. You wouldn't need two rooms, and there will be plenty of space for all of you.

We often take the boat from WL to CR and use the walking path to the MK - it's just one of those things we love to do! :mickey:

DizHawk
04-22-2009, 03:43 PM
I think the CR is a great choice. But I just want to make one point.

In a year and a half, you're going to be oversized for any deluxe room at WDW unless you're willing to fork out big, big bucks for two rooms. So make sure you get to experience the resort you really want while you can do it. We missed out on staying at WL, and now we can't (unless we pay dearly for a deluxe room, and I'd have a room at the Poly for less $$$). If your dream is CR, stay there. If it's Poly, stay there. I would highly recommend being on the monorail, though. Much, much easier with kiddos.

This is a spectacular point. I really hadn't thought about it that way. After I read this I went over to WDW's website and tried a reservation for what it would be with our kids three years older. The only rooms available at CR would be the suites, but we could still stay at ASMovies.

As my DW said, we'll probably end up buying a camper before then, and it won't be quite so expensive. Sure would be fun to do CR this year though.

princessesmom
04-22-2009, 08:59 PM
We are a family of six and we stay at FW in a cabin. It is really nice having the separate bedroom and the kitchen. We put the four kids in the bedroom and my husband and I take the murphy bed in the LR. We don't really cook, but we have breakfast most mornings - eggos, english muffins, cereal, fruit, yogurt - which saves a lot of time and money. You will be closer to MK at CR, but you will all be in one room. Especially with litte ones who will need to nap, I would prefer to have the separate bedroom. I believe the cost is pretty close, though. The least expensive option is probably 2 rooms at AS, but you don't have the kitchen and you're not close to MK.