PDA

View Full Version : Character Dining with an Infant

estein80
04-20-2009, 11:55 PM
DH and I have finally decided that we will be going back to WDW next month. I am trying to figure out ADR's (since I know it is getting to be a little close) and was debating doing a character breakfast or dinner with my dd. She will be 10 months. DH and I think it would be a good experience for her and will help her get acclimated to the characters (we have AP's and live in FL so we plan to be back often). We would like to do whatever we can to help make going an enjoyable event for DD. She is very well mannered, and smiles and waves at virtually everyone. We love that she is so friendly and open to new things.

Recently, we went to WDW with the extended family and every time my 2 year old niece saw a character (even after asking and waiting in line to see the princesses) she would scream. (She also does this around family she doesn't see regularly). DH and I would like to try to keep DD from developing this behavior and are thinking that a character meal might help start the process.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience or thoughts on this. I'd love to hear them.

Thanks in advance!

deedeenmickey
04-21-2009, 08:17 AM
The best piece of advice I could give you is not to build it up in your mind too much. Babies tend to get vibes from us that we don't even know we are giving off. If you are stressed about it she may sense it. It sounds like she has a secure personality. It will most likely be great.

Have a great time and enjoy doing the parks with her while she is little. I so miss that; mine are teenagers now.

LarryBoy
04-21-2009, 08:34 AM
Not a bad idea. I my opinion Garden Grill is the most peaceful of the character meals. The circular layout seems to keep the noise levels down and you don't see the characters until they are almost to your table. My SIL brought my nephew one trip with us when he was about 4 months old. We got some great pictures at the princess breakfast. Because they are not in big costumes the could actually hold him.

kakn7294
04-21-2009, 08:53 AM
My DD loved the characters on our trip we took when she was 13 mo old. Much like your DD, she had an outgoing, friendly personality as a baby. One of my favorite pics from that trip is of her meeting Mickey for the first time. She grabbed his nose and gave it a big slobbery baby kiss. Just be casual about it and if she decides she doesn't like the characters, don't push it as you'll only make it worse. We've always liked Akershus and Chef Mickey's is a lot of fun if you don't mind the noisy, crowded atmosphere.

Welovejiminy!
04-21-2009, 09:05 AM
My son was 11 months when we visited WDW this past October. We went to the Crystal Palace for dinner and my son absolutely loved it! He was so excited when the characters would come to our table. He nearly jumped out of his highchair when Tigger stopped by. The pictures are priceless. We enjoyed Crystal Palace. I think they have the best food out of all of the character buffets. We are also huge fans of Pooh &Co! I hope you have an awesome time with your little one.

wdwfansince75
04-21-2009, 10:04 AM
We have had 3 of our grandchildren at WDW before their first birthday, and have the pictures of their first encounters at character meals....and all are smiling!

We have done Chef Mickey's (a great success, even with all the noise), Donald's Safari (a great adventure!), and Crystal Palace with infants....The Safari breakfast was my favorite, but most of the family insists on Chef Mickey's every trip.

Kids are different, but much alike.....We were told by a CM on the last trip that what she has observed, as a character attendant, is that infants, in general, enjoy the experience....then, for some kids, between 2 and 4 years old, the characters scare them.....and then, its back to loving them.

The CM's seem to know when to tease the reluctant guests, and when to ease off....We have always followed the lead of the CM's. We have never had a disappointing character meal.

Belster
04-21-2009, 10:11 AM
All three of my children are very similar tempered to you DD. We have never had any problems with them around the characters. I think with a slow approach and some fun excitement from you and your husband she will do very well.

Enjoy!!! 10 months is a really fun age to take a baby. (we just did it in October)

2lilboys
04-21-2009, 01:51 PM
I think it is a great idea to get your daughter used to the characters so she is not afraid. My twin boys were a little older than your DD when they went to their first character meal at Crystal Palace. We all loved it. The characters were wonderful and the boys were not scared at all. It was a great way for the boys to meet the characters without having to wait in lines.

My favorite memory (before kids) was a character dinner at LTT several years ago. There was a table with several kids including 1 infant (maybe about 6 months old). Minnie Mouse ended up cradling and rocking the baby for the longest time while sitting on the floor of the restaurant. It was so sweet and the family got so many wonderful pictures. I am sure it is something they will always remember.:mickey:

Enjoy your meal and your first visit with your daughter!

Nini5055
04-21-2009, 02:17 PM
I think that is a wonderful idea. We did not have that opportunity, but I wish we did. When we took dd for the first time (4 turned 5) she was petrified of the costume characters...even Meeko who is kind of small. She was great with the face characters (princesses).

I think if you just go with the flow, it will be ok. Now my dd7 cannot wait to get autographs from her faves.

If I had my way, I would have taken her to WDW before her FIRST birthday!!! :blush:

WIMickeymommy
04-21-2009, 02:28 PM
I think character meals are the best way to introduce your dd. When we took our ds-2 to DW he was very shy around santa and other mascots. I found that the meals allowed my ds to observe before the characters came to our table. It was on his terms and not a quick introduction. We are heading down again with both of our ds and are doing many character meals for that same reason. Your dd will do great. !!

diz_girl
04-21-2009, 03:11 PM
CP with Pooh and friends is a great first character meal. My DS was 17 months and loved it. I prepared him by telling him several time, well-in advance of our trip that he was going to meet Pooh, Piglet, Tigger and Eyeore and that they were as big as Mommy and Daddy. He did fine.

Two months later during an unscheduled trip to the Crayola Factory in Easton, PA, he got scared of the life-sized crayon character. But last week he met Elmo (after I prepared him again) and he was fine and even gave Elmo a hug. I think that preparing him helped, but I can't be certain of that.

Nini5055
04-21-2009, 04:07 PM
A life sized crayon would scare me too!!!!:thumbsup:

tys_mommy
04-21-2009, 04:27 PM
One bit of advice - don't schedule a meal during her normal nap or down time - try to fit one in when she is normally most happy. Also sometimes seats near the wall are better b/c the table can act as a barrier against the characters - my boys tend to think the opposite and request an isle seat.

estein80
04-21-2009, 05:28 PM
A life sized crayon would scare me too!!!!:thumbsup:

I agree!

Nicki'sMom
04-21-2009, 09:39 PM
I was happy to see this post. We will be taking our son for the first time at 13 months so it was nice to get some positive ideas about what to expect. I am hoping he will love it.

MidnTPK
04-22-2009, 12:38 PM
An alternative idea, if you're going on the weekend, is to go to the breakfast buffet at the Swan. The Garden Grove has Goofy, Pluto, and Chip & Dale on the weekends.

What was nice abut the meal way how relatively quiet it was....there were maybe 10 other tables with diners when we were there, so with my then 15-month old DD we didn't have to worry about managing the crazy-active crowds at most character meals. I would actually describe the meal as quiet! Which might be a good environment to introduce a baby to the characters.

And you don't really need to make a reservation for this.

HannahMontana
04-22-2009, 03:40 PM
It seems to me like 2 is the magic age for being freaked out by Santa, EasterBunny, Anything dressed up in fur! I think that is when kids develop fear on some level. We took my little one at 13 mos and she loved the characters. She also fell asleep on the floor at the princess lunch in Epcot. I guess that is the exciting thing about kids... you just never know!