PDA

View Full Version : How to bridge big changes?

handmaidenofprincesses
04-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Our family friends have not been to Disney World since the early 80's, but desperately want to go again. They announced the other day that they want to go in late 2010 for their 30th wedding anniversary, and (much to my delight) they invited me along as their daughter's companion! (we're about the same age and very close friends)

We started talking about the prospective vacation, and some of their favorite memories... I'm sorry to say I can't even remember some of the things that they loved, like "Magic Journeys" (I wasn't even born until 89!) We were singing some of our favorite park music and they started to sing Kitchen Kabaret. When I said it wasn't there anymore, he got really upset (my friend's dad)- it was one of his favorites- and he almost didn't want to go anymore.

How am I supposed to break some of the other changes that have come to MK and Epcot to them? They never got to see DHS or DAK, but they have a very clear picture of MK and Epcot in their heads still... I want them to go back and experience Disney as I still love it, but I don't want the trip to be clouded by their disappointment over things that are missing... What should I tell them in advance?

deedeenmickey
04-20-2009, 09:21 PM
Wow I can't imagine cancelling because one or two things are no longer there. Especially since they have waited so long to try to go back.

I wish I had some profound words of wisdom but I would start by telling them about all of the exciting new things that are there like MS, EE, Soarin, on and on. Maybe get the vacation planning DVD or watch one of the travel channel shows.

Good luck and happy planning.

Mousemates
04-20-2009, 09:33 PM
I suppose my approach would be to do something along the lines of getting them to view one of the promotional DVD's and some current park maps...(under the general auspices of trying to decide which particular things they might want to do when they get there)....if they will play along, in the process they will discover that while much is the same (i.e. mainstreet is still mainstreet, fantasyland is still fantasyland, etc) and that somethings they enjoyed aren't there anymore that they enjoyed....but also that there is some really fun stuff that is new to them....like Toy Story and Splash Mountain. Hopefully, by seeing it advance they will have time to get over their disappointment over "it not being exactly like they remembered it" before they get there and thus adjust to the idea of its newness.

lawgirl
04-20-2009, 11:36 PM
We have been going together as a family since the '70's. My dad was at MK on opening day. Needless to say, we've been through all the changes, some good, some not so great, but we still love going even now more than ever.

It was hard going back without Horizons and 20,000 Leagues...but we've been so excited and thrilled with the new stuff...Dinosaur and AK park, love Soarin', love the newly revamped SE; love all of the resorts, especially AKL. My dad stayed at the penthouse of the CR back when it first opened. He loved it...however, his favorite resort to date is AKL.

I try to always approach change as a positive thing- its hard to experience changes, but I think it always ultimately helps us to grow individually and corporately. I try to think of all the new changes as ushering in a new era in technology, while still being based (every single one) in Walt's dream and magical inspiration. In short, we love WDW, always have, and always will. The changes are part of the dream.

CaptSmee
04-20-2009, 11:41 PM
They will be blown away by the changes that have occurred since they were there last.

kakn7294
04-21-2009, 09:03 AM
I agree with the other posters - get a planning DVD and perhaps a guidebook or two and let them look over them in their own time. Make yourself available to answer their questions. It is disappointing to learn your favorite attractions are no longer there, being refurbed during your trip, or have been updated / changed and are not as good as before but I'm sure that they will still have a great time.

wdwfansince75
04-21-2009, 10:21 AM
Veggie, fruit fruit, veggie veggie fruit fruit! Yeah, I miss it too......But it doesn't keep me away!

So much has changed, and so much has been added! I miss much of what's gone, but enjoy all the new stuff.....

I suggested on another thread that for those who haven't been in years, order the customized park maps, chosing all the new attractions as favorites, to show the changes at MK and EPCOT.....Everything at DHS and AK will be new.......Make sure you order "Classic view" rather than "Character view"....

If you know the family well enough to know their dining preferences, get the menus for the ones you believe they would enjoy, including several character meals, and offer to do their ADR's....If they are treating you to the trip, consider "gifting" a special meal for the party as your anniversary gift to them.

If you exchange gifts with the family, consider (at least) one or more of the guidebooks....and maybe a tee shirt or so....get them in the mood....

DANAM
04-21-2009, 12:04 PM
I had a simular problem with my Aunt a couple years ago. She complained most of the trip because there were rides she remembered that weren't there anymore and the ride she remember she said they completly changed it and it wasn't the same. Honestly I think she was remembering what she wanted and not was really there.

So to avoid all that I would definately expose them to all the new improvement made over the years so maybe they will enjoy what's there and not what used to be there.

Daddy Mouse
04-22-2009, 01:34 PM
The biggest surprise for them may not be what is no longer there but many of the attractions that they'll enjoy.

The planning DVD is good, but I think they need to be prepared with other resources. The fact the DHS and AK will be new to them, as well as many of the resorts. The crowd levels are different than in the early 80's. A planning book would be a nice gift for them.

dancin Disney style
04-25-2009, 06:35 AM
There have been many changes but there are just as many things that are exactly the same.

I went for the first time in '75 and then did not return until I was an adult in '93. I nearly cried because it was exactly as I had remembered it.

PETE FROM NYC
04-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Go on the WDW website.There you can get a mini video preview of many attractions.Or check out what videos you can find on you tube.