PDA

View Full Version : SLR Camera

meldan98
04-20-2009, 08:28 PM
My DH and I have been thinking of buying a new camera. We currently just have a Sony Cybershot and want something with a better zoom, higher pixel count and something for much better quality images. Does anyone know anything about SLR's? Are they worth the money?

DVC2004
04-20-2009, 09:18 PM
My husband purchased one a few months ago, a Canon Rebel XS. He really likes it- we decided it was worth the investment because he takes alot of pictures of our son who is involved in sports. It captures action shots much better. The pictures are noticebly better. It produces professional looking photographs, and you can purchase various lense filters to reduce brightness or slow down motion shots. We bought a mid priced one. It is larger than our old camera of course but he doesn't seem to mind. And the zoom is amazing!

Zippy 1
04-20-2009, 10:36 PM
I have a Canon Rebel EOS. I love it! I have had it for several years. It takes wonderful pictures and is very portable. I also have several different lens and they are not all Canon. This is my second Canon (first digital) I have loved both:number1:

BigRedDad
04-21-2009, 12:14 AM
Before doing anything, do some research. The first place I would go to would be Google and search for "ken rockwell". Read that site thoroughly. Once you understand it, go to another site to get reviews of the different types of camera available. One I go is Digital Photography Review. The forums there are great as well.

I purchased my first DSLR back in September (Nikon D40x). Here are some of the things I have learned.

1. Autofocus in the body makes lens purchases much cheaper
2. Image stabilization is absolutely critical. This can be in the lens or in the camera body.
3. Megapixels mean absolutely diddly. If a salesperson talks to you about pixels counts, leave. They do not know what they are talking about.
4. Ebay is your friend. Keep an eye out on Live.com cashback for Buy It Now. I got my gear for 35% cashback.
5. Do not purchase a camera until you fully tested it in your hands. Depending on the model and brand, they can get bulky and heavy.
6. There are pros and cons to each brand and model. Determine which are your most critical needs

2Epcot
04-21-2009, 01:23 AM
I have a Canon 20D which I've had for a few years and really enjoy it. I also have a Sony Cybershot which I carry with me everywhere. It is nice to have the smaller camera for those unexpected shots, but I enjoy the Canon for when I'm places where I want higher quality pictures. There is a great online digital camera magazine that goes into great detail of all digital cameras with lots and lots of product pictures and reviews. I had a Canon EOS Elan 35mm camera before this one, so I'm also a Canon lover.

scoot241
04-21-2009, 03:47 PM
I finally took the plunge and purchased the Canon Rebel XSi w/ 18-55mm kit lens. It's a great camera. I was also considering some of the Nikons, but for the price I was looking at, the big issue I had with the Nikon cameras was that for the D60 and the one coming out soon (D5000?), the autofocus motor is in the lens, while the autofocus motor for the higher-end models (D90 and up) is in the body. This limits the lens selection for the lower-end Nikons.

A large number of megapixels is nice, but it's actually a small part of these cameras. ISO selection, control layouts, and all kinds of other factors play into purchasing these cameras. Go to Best Buy (or wherever), hold the cameras in your hands, get a feel for what the controls do, and then decide what you like. DPreview (a website... just add .com) reviews just about every DSLR that comes out. It's also a good resource.

Another thing you might want to think about is that your first DSLR purchase sets you up for buying into that company's DSLR system. Eventually you'll be buying other lenses and such that will be compatible with only that company's set of cameras. Therefore, it's important to find a system you're comfortable with. In the end, one company isn't really "better" than the other; it's really about what you like and feel good about.