PDA

View Full Version : Is there still a skyway to tomorrowland at MK?

tinkerddeedee
04-20-2009, 06:25 PM
I found it on Youtube and it looks like SOOOOOO much fun. But I don't remember seeing it there or reading anything about it!

:mickey:

TheVBs
04-20-2009, 06:33 PM
The Skyway is gone. :( I think it's last year was 1999. I'm sure someone here can correct me if I'm wrong.

LudwigVonDrake
04-20-2009, 06:34 PM
No, the skyway was removed in 1999.

tinkerddeedee
04-20-2009, 06:35 PM
I was afraid of that. That is one of those old time rides that you remember riding as a child and it was always one I was in awe with!
Oh well, lots more to love:cloud9:

Thank you :(

TheVBs
04-20-2009, 06:38 PM
Definitely! I remember riding on that as a kid. DH and I rode it in 1999, but I didn't know that it was going to be gone after that. :(

mickey&missy
04-20-2009, 06:57 PM
I remember riding it as a child too! It was fun to look down at all the rides and people!

When your in Fantasyland to the right of the stroller parking back by IASW you'll see whats left the fantasyland end where you got off and on!

Mousemates
04-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Is there still a skyway to tomorrowland at MK?

Only in some very fond memories I have of my first visit as a fourth grader with my grandparents:mickey:.

handmaidenofprincesses
04-20-2009, 09:02 PM
IWhen your in Fantasyland to the right of the stroller parking back by IASW you'll see whats left the fantasyland end where you got off and on!

Every time I see it, I want to climb up there and see what the view is like :blush: That, and I hope against hope that they'll bring the Skyway back. I loved that silly thing!

baldburke
04-20-2009, 09:29 PM
I miss the Skyway too. Was it more of a safety or an insurance issue that they decided to get rid of it?

tinkerddeedee
04-20-2009, 11:08 PM
I was just going to ask that. Why? :mad:

Daisy'sMom
04-21-2009, 12:50 PM
I do miss that ride.:mickey: What a view it offered.

Mickey91
04-22-2009, 12:02 AM
No. How sad. I miss it.:(

DisneyPrincess21
04-22-2009, 12:30 AM
I guess I am the odd one out on this one. I rode the skyway as a child and have terrible terrible memories of how terrifying it was for me. I didn't want to go on the ride because I was scarred because of how high it was, but my parents wanted to go on it.
:scared:I to this day still shudder at the thought of me being on that ride. I was always one of those sensible kids that considered all the safety issues. lol
Come to think of it, Skyway could be what caused my fear of heights.

Giggy
04-22-2009, 01:52 PM
I miss the Skyway too. Was it more of a safety or an insurance issue that they decided to get rid of it?

I think there were safety issues but Disney report a variety of reasons behind it. For example it was in theory in violation of the Americans With Disabilities Act due to difficulty in loading disabled guests and not being able to fit wheelchairs in the carriages.

A major incident however occured a couple of months before it was closed. A cast member had been sweeping the platforms, it was not known that he was there and the ride was started up. With the first carriage heading towards him the cast member jumped onto it to avoid being hit and tried to climb into the carriage but fell. He fell 40 feet, hitting a tree on the way down and was killed. Disney were fined $4,500 by Occupational Safety and Health Administration for what they labelled a serious violation of safety standards.

jrkcr
04-22-2009, 04:37 PM
I've never heard that story. I thought it was closed cause naughty kids were spitting on people below.

I remember riding it as a kid too, with my mom. My dad wouldn't ride it. We would wave to my dad walking below as we rode over him. My dad didn't ride ANYTHING when I was a kid. Now he rides kiddie rides with my kids. :thumbsup: But I bet he still wouldn't ride the skyway or submarine with them!

I too would like to see the skyway come back...

joonyer
04-22-2009, 06:46 PM
Some guests did spit and throw or drop objects onto others form the skyway cars. But the main reason that was cited was because it was going to cost a lot to make it compliant with the ADA. On top of that a CM was killed. The ride was very slow loading and would have been even slower to load whenever it had to be stopped to load a wheelchair. I think it was a combination of all those factors that led Disney to shut it down. I was sad to see it go. I loved being able to see all of the MK and beyond from way up there. It was really cool after dark.

DisneyPrincess21
04-22-2009, 08:33 PM
But I bet he still wouldn't ride the skyway or submarine with them!

:offtopic:
I miss the submarine! I wish that would come back, I remember loving that ride as a kid, Now my mom on the other hand :faint:pratically had a panic attack when we rode it, I guess it was too realistic for her. We were in one submarine and water was dripping really slowly little drops of water and she started freaking out. she kept saying "We're not really going 20,000 leagues under the sea, we are just a couple of feet under the water, it is okay." My dad has it on video, It's pretty entertaining! I think I might get that video out and watch it. HAHA! :D

irish1967
04-22-2009, 08:53 PM
I don't remember actually riding the skyway at WDW but we rode one at the San Diego Zoo about 2 or 3 years ago.

I didn't like it at all. Seriously, it felt unsafe (even though I am sure it was) and you couldn't pay me to get on another one. I seriously spent the entire ride going through "what if" scenarios...

I'll have to ask my Dad if we rode the one at WDW. Probably not more than once, if we did. At that point, we tended to go the fastest way between point A and point B!

DisneyPrincess21
04-22-2009, 09:27 PM
but we rode one at the San Diego Zoo about 2 or 3 years ago.

I didn't like it at all. Seriously, it felt unsafe (even though I am sure it was) and you couldn't pay me to get on another one. I seriously spent the entire ride going through "what if" scenarios...

I also went through the "what if" scenarios even as a child when I rode skyway at WDW. Even as a child it just didn't seem like a safe idea to me. :scared:I shudder at the thought of me being on that ride, And there is NOOOO amount of money you could offer me to get me to ride it again or to ride a similar ride. :faint:

Giggy
04-23-2009, 11:37 AM
Just a thought: in a lot of ways the chairlift at Blizzard Beach is very similar to Skyway was at Magic Kingdom, although perhaps on a smaller scale. Is there a reason why one was acceptable and the other wasn't?

For what it's worth I think the chairlift at Blizzard Beach is great. Just wondering if there are specific reasons, such as easier disabled access or improved safety measures, which weren't viable for Skyway.

dreamfinder55
04-23-2009, 11:50 AM
I remember riding the Skyway and looking down on to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea when it had been drained for a refurb.

miprender
04-23-2009, 07:55 PM
Awe the skyway. I remember it too, but only because we got stuck up there one summer and a thunderstorm was coming in. My poor dad started panicking:jaw: that we were going to get hit by lightning.