PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone explain what the crowd levels mean on the UG book?

Gregandmel
04-20-2009, 08:52 AM
I've seen the Unofficial Guide crowd predictions, but wondered if anyone can explain what they mean specifically? I know that an 8 out of 10 means it's going to be busy, and they have the Best Parks for the day and Parks to Avoid for the day. So, here's my questions:

1. Does the 8 out of 10 mean it's bad crowds on the park to avoid for the day? Are there less crowds on the "Best park" listed??

2. Does the 8 out of 10 mean heavy wait times on the E-ticket rides, or everywhere in the park?

Thanks for the help!!!:confused:

MOJoe
04-20-2009, 09:35 AM
From Touring Plans.com

The Crowd Level column is based on a scale from 1 to 10, with 1 being least crowded conditions and 10 being most crowded. The scale measures the peak wait time at the Magic Kingdom's three headliner attractions (Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad). Thus, the Crowd Level is a "worst case" scenario, predicting the longest wait at any of these three attractions on a particular day. Note that predictions for parks other than the Magic Kingdom are an approximation.

Scale Magic Kingdom Epcot Disney Studios Animal Kingdom

8 = Peak waits of 75 - 84 minutes - MK
Around 120 minutes - Epcot
Around 75 minutes - Studios
Around 110 minutes - AK

I'll try to answer your questions,

The Crowd Calender, as stated above, gives a good indication as to how busy MK and it's headliner attractions will be at the busiest time of the day. The UG also recommends which parks to visit based on several other factors. So there may be "relatively" fewer crowds at the "best park," but not always, due to the fact that most people want to visit all 4 parks on their trip.

Crowds tend to spread around and not stay in one spot. So while the calender predicts wait times at the E ticket attractions, chances are the other attractions will have equal crowds as well.

Gregandmel
04-20-2009, 09:46 AM
Thanks for such a detailed and quick response!!! That helps a lot. Guess I went straight to the crowd calendar without browsing the rest of the website to understand what it all means. I've gotten into a bad habit of posting questions here on Intercot instead of doing research myself!!:secret:

Jaybrad
04-20-2009, 03:49 PM
I have used UG and TGM. Neither is an absolute! Found that the front desk of the resorts are more reliable.

CaptSmee
04-20-2009, 11:46 PM
It's a guidebook making an educated guess. Take it for what it's worth. I haven't found too much faith in their predictions.

MOJoe
04-21-2009, 10:12 AM
Found that the front desk of the resorts are more reliable.

Who and what do you ask?

Mousemates
04-21-2009, 10:46 AM
note that the UG isn't a super reliable predictor when there is some type of special new promotion going on....such as 4 for 7 or an early or late start to free dining...these events aren't in their system and until they update for them their predictions can be a bit on the light side.

merlinmagic4
04-22-2009, 07:42 AM
I have always gone by them but this past Monday was a "9" according to them and most of the rides were very short waits (and even walk-ons by mid day). I was sorry we used the Birthday Fastpass instead of the gift card because it wasn't too busy at all! Maybe we just manage the crowds well :D