PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Paris - Have You Been?

LittleSpirit02
04-19-2009, 03:39 PM
This one's for those who have been to Disneyland Paris. I've become very interested in going there recently and doing some research on it. I've also been watching some YouTube videos of various attractions and they look fantastic. It seems like the architecture/settings are quite different. For example, their "Haunted Mansion" looks much more like a traditional Halloween-type haunted house. It also seems to be a bit darker - not lighting wise - but scarier with skeletons and such. The dragon lair below the castle and the outer part of Pirates and Space Mountain also look neat. I'm interested in hearing veteran visitors points of view and reports. Where did you stay? What did you like? What was different than WDW or DL? What are some "musts?" What are some things to avoid?

tadshome
04-19-2009, 04:47 PM
I have been lucky enough to have been to DLRP 5 times and WDW 3 times and love both but they are very different experiences. POTC in Paris does not have Jack Sparrow but it does have more drops and it is quite spectacular. Space Mountain is the ultimate thrill ride and is not for the faint hearted! There are many more things that are different but I love them both and would never want to have to choose between them:)

CleveSJM
04-20-2009, 10:42 AM
I've been 3 times in the last two years due to lucky work schedules.

I stayed in the Hotel Village just off property. There is a Holiday Inn there that had great rates for my Fri-Sat night stays. It was cost effective and ok.

I liked pretty much everything. Most everyone around there speaks decent English so it is easy for English-only people.

It is different. It is more like Disneyland than Disneyworld. More land and a bit more spread out but still smaller than DW, or at least it feels that way. Space Mountain II is great. It has a magnetic launch like R&RRC. The Indiana Jones Roller coaster is good too. It has a tight little loop that is very different. The POTC is good with I think 3 drops and one a little bigger than any of the other POTC drops. Haunted Mansion is about the same ride but is meant to be a bit more scary. Buzz Lightyear is better. The shooters detach from the ride vehicle so you have more freedom to aim. The Hollywood Studios side is fantastic. The Tower of Terror ride is better. More of a surprising start... Crushers coaster is the best Disney coaster I've ever been on. They need that in the US now!!! Armegeddon is the worst Disnet ride/experience ever. It makes falling down and scraping your knee look like fun.

Go and have fun!!!

Aggie97
04-20-2009, 03:21 PM
We had a great time at Disneyland Paris in April 2003. We really enjoyed our stayed at the Newport Bay Club and got a fantastic package deal that included room, tickets and breakfast at the hotel.

I agree with previous posters' assessments of the unique rides. We definitely enjoyed the Indiana Jones roller coaster (which was set to go backwards at the time we visited), as well as the cute rides in Fantasyland (similar to many rides at DL).

DLP is just a beautiful park -- landscaping, design, theming, the castle -- many wonderful details.

While we had a fantastic time, I will say that we felt our overall experience lacked a little bit of the intangible "magic" factor that we love at WDW and DL. :mickey:

MidnTPK
04-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Here's a link to a thread with my trip report (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=117719).

battle beast
04-21-2009, 12:28 PM
I jsut got back from DLP, and had a good time. Good, not great. Tell you why in my trip report! (New thread). :mickey:

PeterPan
04-21-2009, 09:31 PM
I have been to Disneyland Paris 8 times. I am a huge fan of the Parc - it is utterly spectacular in every way. When built, the Disney Company was determined to show Europe the BEST that Disney could offer. Disney is famous for the DETAILS, but they take the details to the next level with Disneyland Paris. It is simply encrusted with layer after layer of mind-boggling detail.

They re-thought and re-designed every ride that had been built before. The person that posted that The Haunted Mansion is the same could not be more wrong (I mean no disrespect to that poster). It is called "Phantom Manor." It is set in the Wild Wild West. The characters include a hideous Phantom who is haunting his jilted Bride, and a whole host of new characters who once lived in America's West.

POTC also is VERY different - it ENDS with the skeletons, and the story line is quite elaborate. There are even two pirates having a sword fight. Amazing.

The charming details, the magical ambience - it is nothing short of stunning.

One sad note: Cost cutting has hurt the Maintenence of this wonderful parc.

The official web site, videos on You-Tube, and other sites on the web will give you lots of pictures and lots more information than I could put here.

There are two parcs, by the way - there is a Disney Studios Paris. It has a few nice attractions, but needs lots more to make it more than a 1/2 to 3/4 day parc.

cindchan
04-22-2009, 09:58 PM
I'm planning to go to Paris next year (the year I turn 40). I'll be staying in Paris. Is it easy to get to from the city? Do I need to get a taxi or take a train to get there?

OleDoleDoffin
04-23-2009, 03:12 AM
I'm planning to go to Paris next year (the year I turn 40). I'll be staying in Paris. Is it easy to get to from the city? Do I need to get a taxi or take a train to get there?Disneyland is a good distance out of the city, so a taxi would cost a fortune! Take the RER train instead, the station is close to the theme parks. It's actually a shorter walk to the parks from the train than it is from the parking lot!

Incidentally, don't be put off if the weather isn't perfect. We were in Disneyland Park last summer on a day that started grey and drizzly. It's fine because so much is indoors; there are even covered arcades that run parallel to Main Street if the weather is really bad. But not everyone thinks of that, so the park was half-empty until mid-afternoon.

(Whether the main park in Paris is called Disneyland Park or Magic Kingdom seems to be subject to change without notice, but I think they've settled on Disneyland Park for now.)

tomatoe pie
04-24-2009, 10:29 AM
i am so excited. i am going the end of may 09. i have also never been to paris. :artist: this is a major excitment for me.and i am an old lady!!

after 5 days in paris i go to italy to meet abd for an italian tour.:pizza:

we are staying at the disneyland hotel using dvc pts. everything i have read says the resort is just fantastic.:mickey: