PDA

View Full Version : GAC don't know if this is right?

javamama
04-19-2009, 10:06 AM
My sister just hurt herself, may have a herniated disc/slipped disc we won't know until Saturday(MRI is Thursday). She's still planning/trying to make the trip down, but is having a hard time right now. If she gets a letter from her doctor is she able to get a GAC. She's having lots of issues standing, sitting, pain in her legs, and obviously back pain. We planned our trip last April, and this obviously wasn't what she wanted to happen but she's in pain and really wants to make the trip.
Thanks,
Tina

peemagg
04-19-2009, 02:38 PM
She does not need a note from her Dr to obtain a GAC. She will just need to tell them what the problems are (i.e. standing, sitting, etc). They will then issue the appropraite card.

They will probably tell her if standing and sitting are her problems then to get a wheelchair or ECV. They don't offer the cards for most mobility issues. Your sister would probably have a better trip if she got an ECV or wheelchair. This way she always has a place to sit and can switch with someone when she needs to stand.

javamama
04-20-2009, 10:19 AM
thanks, those are her issues the "goof" can't even sit to go to the bathroom as of friday:( So hopefully with all the steriods, anti-inflamitories, and pain meds they'll help by the 29th when she leaves a few days after us. I can't believe this happened to a seasoned fitness freak like herself, but one wrong move at the gym and ouchie!
Thanks again!

PixieMagic
05-11-2009, 12:08 AM
I feel for you! My mom has the same issue (it actually happened lifting a pressure washer box for christmas in the wrong way!)...it was horrible to watch he go through all that but after her surgery and therapy she is now walking...unfortunately she went so long without surgery that her nerve is permanently damaged and she has an extremely hard time "walking" or should I say shuffling :( Needless to say she will still be going on our trip this August and Dsis and I just told her we would rent a wheel chair and push her around :thumbsup: