PDA

View Full Version : Will I be teased for wearing Jorts to the parks?

Pages : [1] 2

Babe the Blue Ox
04-16-2009, 01:43 PM
My kids just told me that jean shorts are no longer appropriate public attire and that I shouldn't wear them to Disney World.

Anyone else heard this?

big blue and hairy
04-16-2009, 01:49 PM
My kids just told me that jean shorts are no longer appropriate public attire and that I shouldn't wear them to Disney World.

Anyone else heard this?DW and I have seen some pretty odd fashion choices at WDW. I don't think jean shorts are going to be a problem. And HEY, you have the added benefit of embarrassing your kids! :D

:sulley:

Pagan
04-16-2009, 02:17 PM
What's wrong with jean shorts? Since I can't find ANY shorts for men that don't go down to my shins, I cut my old jeans into shorts and they look fine.

Daisy'sMom
04-16-2009, 02:18 PM
DW and I have seen some pretty odd fashion choices at WDW. I don't think jean shorts are going to be a problem. And HEY, you have the added benefit of embarrassing your kids! :D

If that is the case, I am going to wear mine next week. It's the best when the kids are embarrassed!:mickey:

sleepingbooty
04-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Hmmm.... you must be living in a very fashion forward part of the country. Everybody around here still wears jean shorts (and you will certainly see tons of them at WDW). How can they possibly be out of style, when all the hip teen stores are stocked with them? Unless, are you talking about cut-offs? Still, I really wouldn't worry about style too much on a family vacation. Wear what you like and be comfortable!

TiggerD
04-16-2009, 02:23 PM
With what the kids of today, with pants practically falling off, I think denim shorts are just fine, I will be wearing mine in September and not thinking a thing about what other people think. You are there to enjoy the magic, not worry about your attire.:mickey:

cinderellagrl
04-16-2009, 02:58 PM
I have not heard of this, and I consider myself a pretty "fashionable" 21 year old female...

actually I have seen jean shorts explode to even become "acceptable night time wear" when tights are worn under them... a little out there for me!

I say go for it... nobody looks at what you wear in disney anyway.. I used to do my hair and makeup every morning in disney, then I learned between the humidity and sweat it doesn't matter...

Go with what your comfortable in!

conwayjohn71
04-16-2009, 03:07 PM
I have thrown all my jorts out.....they are out of style here

tinkerddeedee
04-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Ok, just for the fact that I didn't even know what "jorts" meant.....
(thought it was a new type of shoe):crazy::hide:
I have 3 pairs packed for me, and me children even have a few packed. In fact, my 14 year old DD just asked for a pair of jean shorts! And she's pretty cool:princess: unlike her mom!:geek2:

GoofyMom09
04-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Yeah, sorry. Jorts are out. My husband even teases our 1 year old baby when I put jorts on him.:D Of course, Disney is probably one of the most forgiving places to visit if you are worried about fashion. Think of all the people who wear all the silly hats and stuff. So if you like them, I say wear them.

kakn7294
04-16-2009, 03:39 PM
If I didn't wear jean shorts, I'd have to go naked (and trust me, nobody wants to see that). DH and I and both DDs (ages 9 and 14) all wear jean shorts. Everyone here still wears them. In fact, I didn't even know what jorts were!

Mousemates
04-16-2009, 03:41 PM
I have a hard time envisioning any one with mouseears :mickey: on their hand and a pin lanyard around their neck ridiculing anyone elses fashions.

By the way, who really cares what all those folks who you will never see again (except at Disney) think anyway. Remember Disney is global and fashions are very regional...whats cool in Florida, might be completely out of style in Texas...and whats cool in Texas might be last's year embarassing fad in Brazil or France...wear what you feel good in and if the kids hate it....wear it twice.:thedolls:

MMFreak
04-16-2009, 03:46 PM
Jean short or Jorts as you are calling them are def a no no for men. Women they are still very popular as stated in a previous post about wearing them with leggings. Most of the men in my area wear what we call Board shorts. Yes they are long BUT there are some that are longer than others and they look nice on men.

g8rgirl29
04-16-2009, 04:08 PM
You will be entering a magical world :tink: where at least 75% of the population will be wearing fanny packs so I think "jorts"(I have never heard this before LOL) will be just fine!!

Goes4FastPass
04-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Jorts are to doggone hot for Florida and if you get 'em wet they take about a week to dry in that humidity. I wouldn't mind living in Foggy Bottom but I'm not crazy about Soggy Bottom.

But as far as fashion goes, everybody wears everything at Disney World.

Imagineer1981
04-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Jean short or Jorts as you are calling them are def a no no for men. Women they are still very popular as stated in a previous post about wearing them with leggings. Most of the men in my area wear what we call Board shorts. Yes they are long BUT there are some that are longer than others and they look nice on men.

Agreed. For women it is fine, for men, NO WAY. Wear a pair of cargo shorts or board shorts and you'll be fine...

and MEN...shorts must go to your knees, no more of this 80s basketball player short shorts...:ack:

Pagan
04-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Jean short or Jorts as you are calling them are def a no no for men.

Agreed. For women it is fine, for men, NO WAY.
Why is that? I don't see anything wrong with cutting down a pair of jeans and having some fringe on the end.

Always remember, have your own style. Fashion says "me too", style says "me first."

and MEN...shorts must go to your knees, no more of this 80s basketball player short shorts...:ack:
And on THAT we can agree!

caryrae
04-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Are socks with sandels still out? I have heard of Mom Jeans but is there such a thing as Mom Jorts?:razz:

I like to wear cargo shorts because of all the pockets to help keep my hands free. Also I would hate the feeling of wet denim from going on a water ride.

Dulcee
04-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Men should not wear jean shorts. ever.

No one should wear cut off jean shorts. Unless you look like Daisy Duke.

Just my feelings.. :thedolls:

Ian
04-16-2009, 05:13 PM
Umm yeah ... they're right. Jean shorts went out of fashion some time in the early 90's.

dmosher
04-16-2009, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I have to agree there, Just say NO to Anything made of denim, unless they are actually jeans. Since we are on the topic of fashion, no more pleated shorts either, they flatter no one!
:blush:

And if I may be so bold, WDW is no place to showcase immense cleavage, and yes that's a guy saying that. It just seems tacky!
:pipes:
D

Pagan
04-16-2009, 05:40 PM
Umm yeah ... they're right. Jean shorts went out of fashion some time in the early 90's.
Only to those who actually care what's "in fashion". ;)

Giggy
04-16-2009, 05:54 PM
I've just never bothered about what's in fashion when at WDW. When it's that hot and i am that active I am much more bothered about what it comfortable than what is fashionable. Admittedly I've never been into fashion anyway.

Though even I can safely answer for whoever it was that asked. Socks with sandals were never in fashion to begin with! :blush:

MickeyMousse
04-16-2009, 05:59 PM
You will be entering a magical world :tink: where at least 75% of the population will be wearing fanny packs so I think "jorts"(I have never heard this before LOL) will be just fine!!

:ditto:

In the place where so many cultures collide you and your jorts should be just fine! :thumbsup:

dismommy
04-16-2009, 06:24 PM
I have to say that I have never taken the time to notice what anyone is wearing in Disney (ok maybe the man or women in the tank top who really shouldn't be, as I shouldn't be). My husband wears jeans shorts, not cut off jeans levis jean shorts you buy them at Kohl's and he prefers them I have been trying to get him to wear cargo short and it's a no go to bulky he says.

playdead88
04-16-2009, 07:25 PM
jorts on a man are a huge no no - jorts are on the same no no list as the fanny pack and the mullet

playdead88
04-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Yeah, I have to agree there, Just say NO to Anything made of denim, unless they are actually jeans. Since we are on the topic of fashion, no more pleated shorts either, they flatter no one!

And if I may be so bold, WDW is no place to showcase immense cleavage, and yes that's a guy saying that. It just seems tacky!
D

i must agree with you on the pleated pants/shorts thing

javamama
04-16-2009, 11:05 PM
Umm someone better tell Macy's, Nordstroms, Lord & Taylor this one because they sell them for women like crazy. And they're not cheap either oh and Von Maur too! I've seen some for 70-100 bucks for the name brands! Not to mention Gap and Old Navy--I'm talking women here. My dh wear cargos only, now my dad wears madras lately, and black jean shorts and golf shorts.

kakn7294
04-17-2009, 12:57 AM
Apparently, we live in a part of the world where we make constant fashion faux pas - can somebody please explain to me why it's unacceptable for men to wear jean shorts?

And to the OP, since we do constantly make these fashion faux pas at WDW and nobody has ever said anything to us, you will be perfectly fine wearing your jorts in WDW without anyone teasing you.

atnextc
04-17-2009, 03:31 AM
I think clarification on this issue is in order.....at least to me.

When you say "jort" are you referring to what used to be pants that are now shorts, OR just plain old store bought jean shorts?

If its the latter, its not bad I wouldn't say just to hot for Orlando, and if its the first then that stopped being cool in like 1990, when I was 6.

:mickey:

playdead88
04-17-2009, 06:28 AM
jean shorts are absolutely fabulous for a chick - not for a man - they become jorts when a man wears them - they are bought as shorts not cut offs - which is a whole new NO NO - no one needs to see a man in cut offs - unless you're stuffing 1$ bills in them on ladies night :mickey:

merlinmagic4
04-17-2009, 06:36 AM
Funny thread!! But.......life is short - wear what you want ;)

DizneyRox
04-17-2009, 06:46 AM
:haha:

TikiLounger
04-17-2009, 07:59 AM
What about denim cargo shorts for men? Are those okay? ;)

I can honestly say that I never notice what anyone else is wearing while on vacation. It's just not a top priority. The way I see it, we're all there for the same purpose...to have fun! Who needs someone else judging what we've got on, and, who cares? Live and let live, I say.

Pagan
04-17-2009, 08:18 AM
Apparently, we live in a part of the world where we make constant fashion faux pas - can somebody please explain to me why it's unacceptable for men to wear jean shorts?
Because people are judgmental and have way too much time on their hands to think about things like that? ;)

WDWFanatic
04-17-2009, 08:21 AM
This is too funny, but it explains why my DS 14 WILL NOT get jorts...who knew.

I was also looking navy shorts for my DH and couldn't find any, now I know why...I was looking for pleats :D.

I'm glad I can still wear jorts...my new favorite word.

Now how about skorts, am I painfully out of style?

merlinmagic4
04-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Now how about skorts, am I painfully out of style?

Yes, painfully...................LOL :D

I went to Catholic school..........I have no style!!

My skorts are only in the closet because they don't fit!

brownie
04-17-2009, 09:32 AM
I prefer my cargo shorts because of the pockets, but I still occasionally wear jean shorts. I don't wear them when traveling though, because of the extra pockets in my cargo shorts.

tinkerddeedee
04-17-2009, 09:47 AM
Men should not wear jean shorts. ever.

No one should wear cut off jean shorts. Unless you look like Daisy Duke.

Just my feelings.. :thedolls:

unless you wear them to a NASCAR race, like I did last September :secret: :car: :blush:

tinkerddeedee
04-17-2009, 09:49 AM

D

good thing I don't have one anymore! :blush: (recently lost over 100 lbs)

tinkerddeedee
04-17-2009, 09:52 AM
jean shorts are absolutely fabulous for a chick - not for a man - they become jorts when a man wears them - they are bought as shorts not cut offs - which is a whole new NO NO - no one needs to see a man in cut offs - unless you're stuffing 1$ bills in them on ladies night :mickey:

:funny: :haha: :silly:

great thread!!!

Imagineer1981
04-17-2009, 11:14 AM
I can honestly say that I never notice what anyone else is wearing while on vacation. It's just not a top priority. The way I see it, we're all there for the same purpose...to have fun! Who needs someone else judging what we've got on, and, who cares? Live and let live, I say.

As a CM and as a guest we still play "spot the British" in which you can always tell by the soccer shirts or short shorts or just unusual combos.

sgdisney
04-17-2009, 11:59 AM
I've never heard the term jorts either but here's what Wikipedia says:

"Jean shorts, occasionally called "jorts", are a garment worn by women or men that covers the pelvic area, the buttocks, and the legs down to about the knee. They are simply made from denim.

Some restrict "jorts" in particular to self-cropped pants made from denim ("cut-off jeans"), while others broaden them to include denim shorts cropped, hemmed, and sometimes even pleated at the knee. In either case, jean shorts are in wide use throughout the United States. With the wide use of cellphones, jean shorts now often have a side pocket just to hold a cellphone. Most jean shorts have two back pockets and two side pockets."

And I agree with who cares, wear what's comfortable!

caryrae
04-17-2009, 12:04 PM
I will probably get yelled at for this but I hate Crocs:ack: more then Jorts. Both my wife and I think Crocs are the ugliest things, even if they are really comfortable.

WDWFanatic
04-17-2009, 12:11 PM
Yes, painfully...................LOL :D

I went to Catholic school..........I have no style!!

My skorts are only in the closet because they don't fit!

So if you see me sport my skort, dh rocking his jorts and too very embassed boys trailing behind give a wave:hi:

DawsonAR
04-17-2009, 12:12 PM
What about for little boys....sitll a no no????

Pagan
04-17-2009, 12:33 PM
I will probably get yelled at for this but I hate Crocs:ack: more then Jorts. Both my wife and I think Crocs are the ugliest things, even if they are really comfortable.
Amen...Goofiest looking things I've ever seen, right up there with Uggs.

prttynpnk
04-17-2009, 12:39 PM
I reserve my crocs for taking the dog out to piddle- as God intended.;)

JavaDuck
04-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Here in the NW, Jorts are still in for women, but not for men. The in=thing for men is board shorts or cargo shorts. Like other posters, I wore cargo shorts throughout my last WDW trip. Loved all the pocket space I had to carry things.

Side note, socks never should be worn with sandals (including Keens). Sadly, in the NW, that rule is often broken.

Another side note, I've learned a new word. Never heard the word Jorts before.

MMFreak
04-17-2009, 01:25 PM

This has me laughing. Sooo true!

MMFreak
04-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Umm someone better tell Macy's, Nordstroms, Lord & Taylor this one because they sell them for women like crazy. And they're not cheap either oh and Von Maur too! I've seen some for 70-100 bucks for the name brands! Not to mention Gap and Old Navy--I'm talking women here. My dh wear cargos only, now my dad wears madras lately, and black jean shorts and golf shorts.

They are OK for women.. But you can't always take what the stores are selling for what is a good thing to wear. Afterall it is those very stores that offer clothing in fabrics and cuts that only supermodels should be allowed to wear.

katzctkpt
04-17-2009, 01:37 PM

Side note, socks never should be worn with sandals (including Keens).
Another side note, I've learned a new word. Never heard the word Jorts before.

I totally agree. My BIL wears socks (not white but black or brown socks) with his sperry dock shoes and I absolutely laugh my head off.

crltkcagle
04-17-2009, 02:05 PM
I have seen some people dressed in things alot worse than "jorts" at WDW. My kids still wear them but my dh and I do not. Wear whatever is comfortable for you.

MNNHFLTX
04-17-2009, 02:36 PM
I can honestly say that I have seen every conceivable clothing style at Disney World and no one blinks an eye at them (well, maybe they blink an eye, but that's about it).

And as I tell my 16-year-old son--I'll start heeding his fashion advice when he starts heeding mine.

Goes4FastPass
04-17-2009, 02:51 PM

What about Crocs with black socks and jorts on a 50-something man whose white legs haven't seen the sun since Clinton was president? :cool:

Ian
04-17-2009, 03:01 PM
The OP asked if he would be teased for wearing jorts to the parks.

I think, despite finding them out of fashion, I would still say the answer is no. No teasing.

BMan62
04-17-2009, 03:02 PM
What about Crocs with black socks and jorts on a 50-something man whose white legs haven't seen the sun since Clinton was president? :cool:

Now you're just being mean!!! :D

I have been known to go around in denim shorts with white athletic shoes and white ankle socks. Can't wear Crocs or sandals because of my 'golfers tan' (ghost white feet and ankles!)

DakandZakMom
04-17-2009, 03:04 PM

:funny::rotfl:

prttynpnk
04-17-2009, 03:42 PM
only if accompanied by a tasteful 'no fat chicks' t-shirt. ;)

Mousemates
04-17-2009, 04:28 PM
not to your face....but after a few years of reading "fashion posts" there might be a few comments "outside of hearing range" by the fashion police. :nono:

:hide2: Of course, there might have already been a few anyway that some of us might not have been aware of......for one never knows what might seem funny :rotfl: or unfashionable to the person behind you in the Toy Story queue... (i.e. Mr. Mousemates to Mrs. Mousemates, "You mean they weren't laughing at Mr. Potatohead). :mickey:

BlackJack McGath
04-17-2009, 05:12 PM
only if accompanied by a tasteful 'no fat chicks' t-shirt. ;)

...and a mullet :goof:

TiggeRia
04-17-2009, 10:29 PM
Well my dad will be there next week celebrating his 65th birthday with his jean shorts (down to his knees) - plus he'll be wearing socks (probably to his knees too..... :blush:) with his keen sandals...and I'll be proudly standing next to him. I must be painfully out of style because I have never heard the term "jorts" nor have I ever heard that it was unfashionable for men to wear them. I say wear what's comfortable (as long as it covers you) and who cares what other people think.

Insanity Clause
04-17-2009, 10:59 PM
I have not heard anything about that. I won't be wearing denim shorts when I go in a couple of days but I will be wearing denim capri's so it is very close to the same thing. Everyone around here still wears them. What did your kids expect you to wear?

morebroccoli
04-17-2009, 11:04 PM
i think it is hilarious that this is the hottest thread on intercot right now.

also, i think the short-short 80's man basketball style shorts are AWESOME. and while yer at it, bring back the 80's 'stache, too.

this stuff will be back in style soon enough. mark my words. that's why you should just wear whatever you want, now.

i thought it only mattered what you wore when you were in high school?

(i'd wear jorts on my head if i'd get me to disney any faster)

SpecJoe Magic
04-18-2009, 05:39 AM
Only to those who actually care what's "in fashion". ;)

Because people are judgmental and have way too much time on their hands to think about things like that? ;)

And quite honestly, any woman who would judge a person's character by what they wear isn't worth dating anyway. ;)

I like your style.:thumbsup:

I'm a man, and I still wear jorts (I had never even heard of that word prior to reading this thread) sometimes. I didn't know that it's considered "out of fashion" until I read this thread. I don't see why it matters. I think people should wear what they want to wear as long as certain body parts are sufficiently covered.

To the original poster, WDW is among the places where fashion isn't important at all what with people wearing mouse ears and such, so I highly doubt that you would be teased.

hubbyofadisneyholic
04-18-2009, 09:33 AM
OK, I confess. Add me to the list of "fashion criminals" that have worn Jorts (never heard the term before this thread) in public.
WDW is about the only place I ever wear shorts of any kind and at my age (let's just say over 50) I think they look less silly on me than those cargo pants that were designed for 16 yr olds.

Frankly, this body doesn't look all that great in ANY shorts at this point in life but @ WDW in June with temps and humidity at 90+ guess what...I'm wearing them!! :thumbsup:

I consider them a fashion misdemeaner...and heaven knows we see more than enough "fashion felonies" being committed out there.

So, if you see me in my jorts wandering around EPCOT, feel free to point and smile. I wasn't big into fashion and the latest styles back in the 60s & 70s and I care even less now...:D

BigWes6
04-18-2009, 09:48 AM
I just got my first pair of Crocs and I intend on wearing them in the World coming up in 6 days, I hope that nobody makes fun of me- LOL ! Because I DONT CARE ! Its DIsney for God sake- Wear what you want ! Live it up ! Do what makes you feel good ! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE!!!!!!!!!!!

Ksmith75
04-18-2009, 09:59 AM
We are going in 6 days too, and my DH and I just go our first pair of crocs and are looking forward to wearing them for comfort. This isnt a high school - or a high school reunion. I do not care what people think about what I wear. If anyone wants to ask us about it, we will be wearing either Superbowl Champion shirts, thanks to the Steelers or Penquins shirts - so let us know....;)

tinkerddeedee
04-18-2009, 10:40 AM
I just got my first pair of Crocs and I intend on wearing them in the World coming up in 6 days, I hope that nobody makes fun of me- LOL ! Because I DONT CARE ! Its DIsney for God sake- Wear what you want ! Live it up ! Do what makes you feel good ! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm right there with ya! I have just bought 2 new pairs (because of course I have to match all my clothes to them :blush:) and I will add them to the pair I already have! They ARE the most comfortable things to wear! (and they got rid of my planter faceitis!)

Mfarquar
04-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Jean shorts for men are a DEFINITE no-no. Cut-offs on anyone are very 80s.

I do sometimes see men with them - but they tend to be over 50.

In fact, in the Northeast, I hardly ever see jean shorts in stores for men. Any other material is fine, and to the knee or just above it is the way to go. There are plenty of cargo-ish type shorts available that are NOT for teenagers from some great options at Target to Ralph Lauren Polo.

However, Disney is a parade of fashion faux pas. Stacey and Clinton would have a field day there - hey, that may just be a good idea for the next season of "What Not To Wear"!

That said, there will be many more people with fashion crimes much more major than jean shorts. Although men's cotton/cotton blend shorts can actually be cooler temperature-wise - and especially more comfortable if they get wet on a ride, you should ultimately be comfortable with what you wear.

wire0monkey
04-18-2009, 11:03 AM
The only people who'll make fun of you are your children.

Gotta love teenagers.

Mfarquar
04-18-2009, 11:05 AM
I've got to disagree on that one - I've seen people in their 30s and 20s making fun of jorts on a regular basis (beach, other theme parks). This is a universal no-no for the past several years.

It's Disney though - no one will be gunning for you! :mickey:

betteratmk
04-18-2009, 11:36 AM
:D Well, no denim shorts but denim capri's here! And crocks saved me last summer when I broke my toe, they were the only thing I could wear> They are ugly but great as slippers now.

Pop Centurion
04-18-2009, 11:41 AM
I'm a little confused here. Are we talking regular store bought denim shorts or long denim jeans that have been cut down to shorts?

Mfarquar
04-18-2009, 01:15 PM
Both!

Brownie54
04-18-2009, 01:47 PM
Okay, I'll bite...

I'm an over fifty male and I have and wear a couple pair of jorts(as well as other types of shorts). I will continue to wear them if I so desire and feel free to make fun of me. That is your right. I in return am entitled to my opinion.

What a bunch of fashion snobs!

Mfarquar
04-18-2009, 02:00 PM
I'll respectfully re-define the term fashion snob as fashionably relevant and a possession of pride of appearance :thumbsup:

And, as I mentioned before - it's Disney World, not a fashion parade. People go in what they are comfortable wearing. However, the original post questioned how fashionable jorts are and I think he has received some interesting, honest, and amusing responses! Yay for freedom of speech!

dtootsie42
04-18-2009, 02:08 PM
If you like them, they are comfortable and you want to wear them wear them.

Not sure when it became unfashionable not to wear them...I have a daughter who works in retail, 1st American Eagle they sell jean shorts, 2nd White House Black Market, they sell a jean short now 3rd Forever 21 and they sell a jean short. So I guess all these stores are not fashionable.

Dec. 1997---Contemporary
Dec. 1999--Poly
June 2000--Disneyland
Dec. 2001---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2003---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2005---Poly Concierge
Nov. 2007---Poly Concierge
Oct. 2008--DisneyLand
Next trip Dec. 2009--Poly Concierge

BMan62
04-18-2009, 02:13 PM
I'll respectfully re-define the term fashion snob as fashionably relevant and a possession of pride of appearance :thumbsup:

And, as I mentioned before - it's Disney World, not a fashion parade. People go in what they are comfortable wearing. However, the original post questioned how fashionable jorts are and I think he has received some interesting, honest, and amusing responses! Yay for freedom of speech!

Hate to burst your little fashion bubble, but I just got home from doing some shopping and what did I see????? Every department store - WalMart, Target, KMart, JC Penney, as well as American Outfitters, had racks and racks of Jeans Shorts -- Jorts!!

Then driving through 'the Hood' on the way home (it's 75 degrees here right now) 2 out of every 3 kids on the street (younger than 30) had Jorts on. Cargo style, painters style, straight (plain) style...jorts everywhere.

Pagan
04-18-2009, 02:47 PM
I like your style.:thumbsup:
Why thank you! :D

forever a child
04-18-2009, 03:16 PM
This has been a fun thread to read!

I must confess that I wear socks with my Keen's. :secret: However, only in the winter since I wear my Keens all 12 months of the year in Kentucky.

I too hate Croc's but to each his own. I have finally found a good use for them since my DD is a year around swimmer. They are great for the winter months when she is finished with practice. She puts on her flannel PJ bottoms over her wet swimsuit and wears her hoodie and swim parka and uses the fleece crocs to leave practice. Totally acceptable for swimmer's fashion style. However, they do look like street bums who have flasher tendencies. :D And no, she won't be wearing it to WDW.

I think fanny packs seem like a worse fashion no-no than the jean shorts. But for parents and grandparents the practicality is understandable.

My big pet peeve for fashion at WDW is the lack of modesty for some.:blush: Mostly women but occasionally some men too. I realize it is hot but it is a "family" park and some of you women show more than I care to see (I am female) and there is such a thing as having a little taste. Just my two cents:thumbsup:

hubbyofadisneyholic
04-18-2009, 03:37 PM

Sorry, but I fail to see what refusal to be subservient to other's opinion of what is fashionable has to do with pride in one's appearance.

SBETigg
04-18-2009, 03:46 PM
Jorts? Ha, that's a new term for me. I think cut-offs are passe, and I'm not really keen on jeans shorts on men. But I've seen some styles for women that look fine to me. Seriously, who's to say what you should wear but you. I think comfort is the main thing at Disney. Be comfortable. I mean, as long as you're adequately covered. :blush:

cer
04-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Sorry, but I fail to see what refusal to be subservient to other's opinion of what is fashionable has to do with pride in one's appearance.

Agreed!!!!

Be modest - wear what you want. You will see mostly "Disney"-wear there anyway.

I am too busy enjoying the magic and my family to concern myself with the clothes of other guests - although I my admire your "Goofy Hat" :goofy2:or "Mickey Mouse Ears" :mickey:...

Brownie54
04-18-2009, 06:20 PM
I am too busy enjoying the magic and my family to concern myself with the clothes of other guests - although I my admire your "Goofy Hat" :goofy2:or "Mickey Mouse Ears" :mickey:...

Oh GEEZ!!! I just realized I have that picture of me with that Goofy hat in all my posts. Now I really should be ridiculed for that.:mickey: Not that I care. Heck, its Disney World.

Brownie54
04-18-2009, 06:32 PM

I'll respectfully disagree of your definition of a fashion snob. Perhaps I am being too harsh using the word "snob". That wasn't very Disney friendly. If I have offended anyone with my snob comment, I'll be glad to buy them a :beer: or a :marg: or whatever drink is in fashion.

pixiesmimi
04-18-2009, 07:00 PM

I must confess that I wear socks with my Keen's. :secret: However, only in the winter since I wear my Keens all 12 months of the year in Kentucky.

I too hate Croc's but to each his own. I have finally found a good use for them since my DD is a year around swimmer. They are great for the winter months when she is finished with practice. She puts on her flannel PJ bottoms over her wet swimsuit and wears her hoodie and swim parka and uses the fleece crocs to leave practice. Totally acceptable for swimmer's fashion style. However, they do look like street bums who have flasher tendencies. :D And no, she won't be wearing it to WDW.

I think fanny packs seem like a worse fashion no-no than the jean shorts. But for parents and grandparents the practicality is understandable.

My big pet peeve for fashion at WDW is the lack of modesty for some.:blush: Mostly women but occasionally some men too. I realize it is hot but it is a "family" park and some of you women show more than I care to see (I am female) and there is such a thing as having a little taste. Just my two cents:thumbsup:

Well I wear crocs all the time and love them. Yes, they are ugly but everyone around here has "ugly feet" because we all wear them. I will be wearing them to WDW in August. Most comfortable walking shoe I have worn there. And how can anyone worry about wearing jean shorts when there are so many people walking around in black and red :mickey: crocs which they sell in the parks, by the way?

I have never heard of the term Jorts but everyone in LA (lower Alabama) still wears them, still sells them in all the stores, and they are still in all the fashion catalogs that we get. I don't see anything wrong with cut-offs either. We also still wear these, although I usually hem them except for DGSs to play in. All the GKs wear jorts. Never heard any complaints from any of them. They are a lot better than the baggy jeans down to their rearends.

What are board shorts? I like cargo shorts but can't see my DH wearing them. Too baggy and wrinkled. He wears golf shorts and docker shorts which are almost the same thing as jorts. I have just now gotten him to wear white socks with his tennis shoes (running shoes) instead of black socks. :) We shamed him out of those.

I agree with the lack of modesty for some women there. I saw one woman on our last trip that was wearing a very tight, low cut, spaghetti strap top that left nothing to your imagination and she wasn't exactly tiny. I was very disgusted with the sight. I would have thought she would have been embarrassed to wear it but obviously she wasn't. I was hoping a CM would tell her to put a shirt on over it but they never said a word to her. There needs to be a line drawn somewhere with a dress code at WDW because it seems to be getting very skimpy there. There is one thing to being comfortable and there is another to being decent.

jrkcr
04-18-2009, 07:03 PM
I think my DH looks great in his denim "jorts". What a funny word for them(never heard it till today). As long as he doesn't start wearing them long. Some guys look like they are wearing capris they stole from their moms closet.

But then what do I know...my favorite pair of shoes is my pink and white plaid, mary jane style crocs. SO cute!! :thumbsup:

We also wear pin lanyards, birthday buttons, light-up hats with ears, DH and DD9 wear disney fanny packs, and we occasionally reek of sunscreen...makes for some great vacation photos! :photo:

Enjoy your jorts!!

missymouseworld
04-18-2009, 07:41 PM
In this day and age, with the "less is more attitude", we should be happy that they are actually wearing pants, jorts, etc. WHATEVER!

I was reading the other posts from NJ and I don't know where you live, but I see kids, adults wearing jeans shorts all the time....I just bought my son new Urban Pipeline jean shorts, faded and not worth the amount of money I spent. That is what they wear here. If you are from "down the shore" then I can see the board short thing, but I wouldn't say jean shorts are completely out of the question.

If you are comfortable and presentable, enjoy.

tinkerddeedee
04-18-2009, 07:54 PM
Well I wear crocs all the time and love them. Yes, they are ugly but everyone around here has "ugly feet" because we all wear them. I will be wearing them to WDW in August. Most comfortable walking shoe I have worn there. And how can anyone worry about wearing jean shorts when there are so many people walking around in black and red :mickey: crocs which they sell in the parks, by the way?

I have never heard of the term Jorts but everyone in LA (lower Alabama) still wears them, still sells them in all the stores, and they are still in all the fashion catalogs that we get. I don't see anything wrong with cut-offs either. We also still wear these, although I usually hem them except for DGSs to play in. All the GKs wear jorts. Never heard any complaints from any of them. They are a lot better than the baggy jeans down to their rearends.

What are board shorts? I like cargo shorts but can't see my DH wearing them. Too baggy and wrinkled. He wears golf shorts and docker shorts which are almost the same thing as jorts. I have just now gotten him to wear white socks with his tennis shoes (running shoes) instead of black socks. :) We shamed him out of those.

I agree with the lack of modesty for some women there. I saw one woman on our last trip that was wearing a very tight, low cut, spaghetti strap top that left nothing to your imagination and she wasn't exactly tiny. I was very disgusted with the sight. I would have thought she would have been embarrassed to wear it but obviously she wasn't. I was hoping a CM would tell her to put a shirt on over it but they never said a word to her. There needs to be a line drawn somewhere with a dress code at WDW because it seems to be getting very skimpy there. There is one thing to being comfortable and there is another to being decent.

Well I'm glad you informed us of that, I have one of these packed for our vaca!:) Mines not too low cut though, I'll have to wait and see if I see anyone else wearing them before I do! I'm sure Stacy and Clinton wouldn't very much appreciate it!:thumbsup:

TikiGoddess
04-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Jean shorts for men are a DEFINITE no-no. Cut-offs on anyone are very 80s.

I've got to disagree on that one - I've seen people in their 30s and 20s making fun of jorts on a regular basis (beach, other theme parks). This is a universal no-no for the past several years.

I am stunned. I have NEVER heard of this! (Didn't know what a Jort was either... like a PP I thought it was a new type of shoe!) Both DH and I have jean shorts and have worn them the last couple of summers with no thought.

I am going shopping to replace most of my summer clothes -- gotta have some new digs for the upcoming trip! So, fashionistas, what IS a good short? What SHOULD people wear to the parks? What would be good park wear?

I'm curious to hear what people have to say...

Kathy

SFTrny
04-18-2009, 09:06 PM
OK...I am amazed that a thread about "jorts" has such a high level of interest. That in itself is a little scary and unnerving. I will offer this...

Rule #4: Any man over the ager of 18 should not be wearing shorts or otherwise exposing his legs unless he is actively engaged in a sporting event.

Goes4FastPass
04-18-2009, 09:08 PM
...My big pet peeve for fashion at WDW is the lack of modesty for some.:blush: Mostly women but occasionally some men too. I realize it is hot but it is a "family" park and some of you women show more than I care to see (I am female) and there is such a thing as having a little taste. Just my two cents:thumbsup:

I with you here sister. Just because you can get most of you into that outfit doesn't mean you should wear it in public.

But apart from modesty and honestly realizing you haven't been a size 8 since the Reagan years, I don't think it matters much. Whatever you wear is going to be a canvas of sweat, mustard, ice cream and dole whip by the time the fireworks are over.

I wish I was in my awful elastic waist shorts tooling down Main Street USA right now.

joonyer
04-18-2009, 09:10 PM
I personally don't care a whit what anyone else thinks of what I wear, especially on vacation. I wear what I want and what I like, regardless of what anyone else may think about whether its in style or not. If they don't like it, that's their problem, not mine.

Goes4FastPass
04-18-2009, 09:11 PM
...Rule #4: Any man over the ager of 18 should not be wearing shorts or otherwise exposing his legs unless he is actively engaged in a sporting event.

Rule #5: Any young genius who thinks men over the age of 18 should not wear shorts at WDW should go to Universal Studios... and work in the parking deck... in long pants.

BMan62
04-18-2009, 09:16 PM
Rule #5: Any young genius who thinks men over the age of 18 should not wear shorts at WDW should go to Universal Studios... and work in the parking deck... in long pants.

Thank you! My sentiments exactly!! :thumbsup:

SFTrny
04-18-2009, 09:23 PM
Plenty of fabrics available that provide coverage and coolness. And this is coming from a guy who dug building foundations out of red clay by hand for 2 years in South Carolina in 115 degree heat.

That being said - I'll make the concession to anyone engaged in a work activity. I've also worn uniforms in my work that are designed for style over function. The debate here is for style..not comfort and function. Work clothing is for function. Jorts is a style issue. Space suits are pretty goofy looking, but nobody is going to make fun of an astronaut for wearing one.

Rule #4 stands.

magicofdisney
04-18-2009, 09:43 PM
I was standing in line today to board the Monorail for MK. There was an older teen girl (approximately 16 :confused:) who somehow managed to squeeze herself into the same pair of jean shorts I just threw out because my 8 year old daughter (who is tiny for her age) is no longer allowed to wear her size 6 shorts.

So, in my observations, jean shorts are fashionable but short for women, and long for men.

ryobi88
04-18-2009, 09:47 PM
well here`s how i see it while your laughing at me in my jorts i be passing ya:walk: and getting my fast pass lol:cool:

magicofdisney
04-18-2009, 09:49 PM
Rule #4: Any man over the ager of 18 should not be wearing shorts or otherwise exposing his legs unless he is actively engaged in a sporting event.
I'll take exception to this as well. ;) My 40 year old husband has fabulous legs and he hasn't played sports in 20+ years. :cloud9:

iluvdumbo
04-18-2009, 10:21 PM
I don't think that it is bad to wear jean shorts around in the parks, but I think it is more comfortable to wear stretchy shorts than jean just in case you get wet or something.

My friend made the mistake of wearing jean shorts on Splash Mountain, HUGE MISTAKE!! She had a rash on her legs for the whole day!!!

TeamJonasSister
04-18-2009, 11:24 PM
Well my mom wears jean shorts all the time so I don't think it really matters,

SBETigg
04-19-2009, 06:38 AM
I'll take exception to this as well. ;) My 40 year old husband has fabulous legs and he hasn't played sports in 20+ years. :cloud9:

I think running around WDW in FL heat counts as a sporting event sometimes, so shorts are perfectly acceptable. But maybe not basketball shorts. I remember when they used to be short, but now they look like ladies skirts they're so long. Silly! But that's off topic...

playdead88
04-19-2009, 07:32 AM

if you add a mullet, a tank top and a huge cell phone hooked to the belt you will have the ultimate fashion icon that you must get a cell phone pic of to send home :thumbsup:

JRocker
04-19-2009, 09:22 AM
I do have to say that this conversation ranks right up there in the top ten most laughable threads. There are a few narrow minded comments that really push it over the top.:thumbsup:

If you are teased for wearing denim shorts, does it really matter? I mean, you really need to consider the source of the teasing. Would those people be someone whose opinion really mattered in the grand scheme of things?

Men wearing denim shorts is a no no??:funny::rotfl::rolleyes:

Aside from the Metro breed of men, when most men go to grab clothes they look for three things, durability, comfort, and the the ability to conceal mustard, ketchup, or barbecue sauce. If that happens to be denim shorts, and the store has them, sweet.

As far as the comment about there being an age limit on shorts. :haha::rolleyes: That is possibly the most ridiculous thing I have heard in this thread. Comfort is only for the young? Give me a break.

I'M A MAN! I'M 40! And I wear shorts, denim at work (durability), cargo at play (pocketses).

Brownie54
04-19-2009, 10:48 AM

Anyone else heard this?

I'll bet your surprised that just three days after posting your question you have 6 pages of answers. You are very good for business here. Someone should give you a promotion. :thumbsup:

5togetherWDW
04-19-2009, 11:34 AM
Around here jean shorts are still acceptable; but, the bigger question / issue -- which got me reading this thread is more about what others consider Disney attire (along with the weird term "jorts" -- but that was answered long ago -- I read through the other 5 pages because of the Disney attire question.)
The way I see it, "appropriate public attire" is not the same as Disney World attire. I have never laughed at someone for wearing normal jean shorts or other comfortable looking clothing. On the other hand, I have to admit I have noticed and whispered to family members when I've seen women in ultra high heels or other items that would seem perfectly normal in the outside "appropriate public attire" world, but which lacked WDW comfort. WDW has a style all its own.
We proudly wear character / ride themed tops with comfortable shorts (skorts for me) and often add special headwear. At WDW this is the appropriate fashion.
We recently traveled with a very fashion concious teen (male.) He has a clearly defined style which allows for nothing cutesy when at school / with friends. We picked him up from school and he flew down in such attire. From the next morning, until our return -- he wore character / ride themed tops with comfortable shorts (don't recall if any were denim - might have been.) He was relaxed, happy, and without thought of his other fashion style.
When we happened upon others from our area, he had no hesitation about being seen in his over the top WDW clothes. He couldn't wear school clothes at WDW.
It seems he agrees, at WDW its the people trying to wear "appropriate public attire" that look out of place.
People won't notice your shorts when you are wearing a great tee and a monorail crashing through your head headband, or a Goofy hat.

pixiesmimi
04-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Well I'm glad you informed us of that, I have one of these packed for our vaca!:) Mines not too low cut though, I'll have to wait and see if I see anyone else wearing them before I do! I'm sure Stacy and Clinton wouldn't very much appreciate it!:thumbsup:

Sorry if this offended you. I don't have anything against the spaghetti strap tank tops if they fit and are worn in the appropriate size and with the appropriate undergarments. But you would have had to see this person to understand what I was trying to say about it. I can't really go into detail on here but it was VERY indecent especially around children and I just wondered how someone had not said something to her about it.

big blue and hairy
04-19-2009, 02:48 PM

Anyone else heard this?I would never tease you for wearing jean shorts, but I might tease you for calling them jorts ;)

johnO
04-19-2009, 03:22 PM

Gotta love teenagers.

Yep, the teens who'll be wearing their ultra tight jeans that are pulled below their rear end, exposing their boxers shorts. Yeah, they really know great fashion....:D

betteratmk
04-19-2009, 05:08 PM

Crocs are great for hockey practice too!:D

mickey&missy
04-19-2009, 05:25 PM

:rotfl: You made me laugh out loud!!!

I had no idea what jorts are! But, now that I do know I agree to certain extent that they are out of style BUT I think you should wear what you are comfortable in! No one will tease you! I've seen plenty of crazy outfits at WDW! Including heels! What's that about?!

BluewaterBrad
04-19-2009, 05:55 PM
Well i always wear my crab shorts and "Kramer" lobster shirt at least one day when i am at WDW,.................getting teased is fun Mom!!:mickey:

BluewaterBrad
04-19-2009, 06:03 PM
well here`s how i see it while your laughing at me in my jorts i be passing ya:walk: and getting my fast pass lol:cool:

Not before me!!! LOL!!:mickey:

merlinmagic4
04-19-2009, 06:50 PM
Just wanted to post that I saw LOTS of jorts today at Epcot :Don all kinds of different people! I had to laugh to myself every time thinking of this thread. I wanted to take photos but I figured that might not go over so well! :D

grumpydude
04-19-2009, 07:32 PM
:confused:Jorts?! What the??? Who doesn't wear jean shorts. Jorts? What about khorts? :fresh::woohoo:

TennesseeTink
04-19-2009, 10:17 PM
My DH is 35 years old and has worn blue jean shorts as long as I've known him, and looks darn good in them too!!

This whole denim shorts being out of style thing is news to me. I work at a department store and we have walls of them - yes, even in the young mens dept.- and they sell very well.

One of the things I love to do at Disney World is people watch. I've never once looked at someone wearing denim shorts and pointed and laughed. I don't even notice it; it seems perfectly normal to me. Yes, they're yucky when they get wet, but heck they go with just about everything.

ShanPooh
04-19-2009, 11:32 PM
Oh where to begin???

"Jorts" sound like a cola gone wrong - never heard the term before this thread.

Are board shorts really back in style?
DH will have to look and see if he can find a pair of Jamz from 1984 and maybe a Day-Glo shirt to go with. :silly:

dmosher
04-19-2009, 11:46 PM
I've seen people in their 30s and 20s making fun of jorts on a regular basis.
Uhmm, yea sorry about that... it was probably DW and I. Thanks for thinking we may be in our 20's though... Cheers!
D

dmosher
04-20-2009, 12:00 AM
In the end, forget what the rest of us think of you in your jean shorts. If you are comfortable then by all means, wear them. Just don't be surprised if you see me laughing in your direction as you head down the walkway to Kali River Rapids. Once you get off the ride, you will understand why...
D

tjstrike
04-20-2009, 03:25 AM
Oh where to begin???

"Jorts" sound like a cola gone wrong - never heard the term before this thread.

Are board shorts really back in style?
DH will have to look and see if he can find a pair of Jamz from 1984 and maybe a Day-Glo shirt to go with. :silly:

I'm with ya there, I was wearing board shorts in the 80's as well. I'd say if anything was out of style it would be them. I suppose next you're going to tell me my camo spandex shorts are out of style !!! O, the croc flip-flops are excellent boating shoes, I wouldn't wear anything else.

caryrae
04-20-2009, 08:52 AM
Are Zubaz back in style yet.:razz:

iheartdisney
04-20-2009, 11:59 AM
To the OP....

I say, wear 'em with pride and take great enjoyment out of embarassing your kids. After all, taking every opportunity to embarass your children is a prerequisite to good parenting as stated in the International Good Parenting Manual (page 93, rule # 175)! :waycool:

forever a child
04-20-2009, 12:07 PM
It seems a shame NOT to wear them after the popularity of this tread:thumbsup:

#1donaldfan
04-20-2009, 12:08 PM
....whoa now....lets put some brakes on this subject....it started out funny, real funny and seems to be turning into a "thing"....

.....lets get back to the funny part of it...

....our DD10 just asked me cut off a pair of jeans for her...the knee was out....I called them jorts and now she's calling them that....

....we'll be there in June, I'll keep a keen eye out for 'em.....:thumbsup:

Minnie4me
04-20-2009, 12:34 PM
This is a VERY interesting thread!

I have never been one to be up on the latest fashion, but I don't like to look geeky or nerdy either, so here is my :twocents:

These should NEVER...EVER be worn!!!

Muscle shirts (especially if you have no muscles)
80's shorts (shorts with a 3" inseam)
Shorts with tube socks
Sandals with socks
Crocs with socks
Fanny Packs
Cut off jeans
Spandex
Pants so tight that you have a muffin top.
Midriff shirts with a muffin top showing.

Now this next one is more for northern states and is a big pet peeve of mine...

A winter coat with shorts. (Have also seen this combo worn with sandals and socks. what the heck are these people thinking)

Actually, any type of coat or jacket or sweater worn with shorts just looks plain stupid.

However, I must say...I have a couple pair of jean sorts. 1 board style, 1 carpenter style. Both of which come just above the knee. I still rarely wear them out. It just don't feel right.

prttynpnk
04-20-2009, 12:39 PM

Gotta love teenagers.

Thats true! Even i get too busy at Disney to make fun of people!

Disney Doll
04-20-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm 29 and fairly fashionable. I wear denim shorts, but I guess we've established that the main faux pas is jorts on men? I think it depends on the cut more than the fabric. Also, I'd much rather see an older man in a longer pair of jorts than in an age inappropriate pair of board shorts.

Rule #4: Any man over the age of 18 should not be wearing shorts or otherwise exposing his legs unless he is actively engaged in a sporting event.

My DH, (age 36) hasn't worn shorts since he was a little kid and always says that men shouldn't wear shorts. He won't even wear shorts to work in the yard and I have always thought he was just weird.

I'm just curious as to how many of the women saying that jean shorts shouldn't be worn by men are sporting their hair in the "mom cut" and wearing "mom jeans".

Somebody better fill be in on the "mom cut". I may be committing another fashion faux pas. :secret:

Laughin' place
04-20-2009, 01:53 PM
OK...I am amazed that a thread about "jorts" has such a high level of interest. That in itself is a little scary and unnerving. I will offer this...

Of all the varying statements I've seen on this post, this is the most ridiculous. The idea of suffering utter discomfort (from Orlando's summer heat and humidity) when spending most of the day outdoors (such as when in a theme park) based on someone's antiquated fashion rule is beyond my imagination. The style and length of shorts is relevant to whether they should be worn, but to rule shorts out all together ? What is rule #5, that ladies should always wear gloves when in public ??

elmjimmlm
04-20-2009, 02:02 PM
I think that I would much rather see "jorts" than a fanny pack...:blush:

Mousemates
04-20-2009, 02:19 PM
They seek him here, they seek him there, His clothes are loud, but never square. It will make or break him so hes got to buy the best, cause hes a dedicated follower of fashion.

And when he does his little rounds,round the boutiques of london town, Eagerly pursuing all the latest fads and trends,cause hes a dedicated follower of fashion

He flits from shop to shop just like a butterfly. In matters of the cloth he is as fickle as can be,cause hes a dedicated follower of fashion. He's a dedicated follower of fashion. He's a dedicated follower of fashion.

The Kinks

I don't think too many of the men at WDW fit "the dedicated followers of fashion category" nor should they...its vacation, wear what you like (within the general decency confines of a family theme park), like what you wear, and don't worry about whats others are wearing or what they think of your clothes.

And if what makes you happy is pair of above-the-knee cutoff Sedgefield Jeans, an old Gilleys tank top, white calf-high tubes socks with blue stripes, and a pair of docksides, with a camo fanny pack...I say go for it. :thumbsup:

elmjimmlm
04-20-2009, 02:50 PM
And if what makes you happy is pair of above-the-knee cutoff Sedgefield Jeans, an old Gilleys tank top, white calf-high tubes socks with blue stripes, and a pair of docksides, with a camo fanny pack...I say go for it. :thumbsup:

I think I saw him standing outside of Mouse Gears last year but the stipes on his socks were red...:haha:

Nascfan
04-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Wow, I'll be the original poster never thought this thread would go so long, or be as polarizing for such a simple question.

Simple answer.....wear what you want. Most people wear a Disney t-shirt of some sort with shorts of some sort, exceptions being the winter months when it does get chilly. As long as what should be covered is covered, be comfortable. Fashion police be darned. :mickey:

Babe the Blue Ox
04-20-2009, 03:48 PM
Well, after careful consideration:

I'm wearin' my Jorts and I don't care what anybody says about it.

Thanks to all who contributed to this lively discussion.

Pagan
04-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Well, after careful consideration:

I'm wearin' my Jorts and I don't care what anybody says about it.

Thanks to all who contributed to this lively discussion.
Bravo. ;)

Stu29573
04-20-2009, 04:19 PM
I don't own any...but I think I'll go buy some!:number1: Jort Wearers Unite!!!! :number1:

kakn7294
04-20-2009, 04:52 PM
I don't own any...but I think I'll go buy some!:number1: Jort Wearers Unite!!!! :number1:DH and I will be among the proud wearers!

Pagan
04-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Levi's 512s. Cut 'em about mid-thigh.

Think I'll wear a muscle shirt with them. :razz:

caryrae
04-20-2009, 05:02 PM
I don't own any...but I think I'll go buy some!:number1: Jort Wearers Unite!!!! :number1:

You should start a club and have meets at WDW and everyone wears Jorts and have t-shirts that say "Jorts Rule" or something.:cool:

JRocker
04-20-2009, 05:57 PM
You should start a club and have meets at WDW and everyone wears Jorts and have t-shirts that say "Jorts Rule" or something.

Of course, you have to have different chapters. One for females, one for males under 18, and then the outlaw chapter of males over 18.

I say the t-shirts would be a no no... muscle shirts, definately.

morebroccoli
04-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Well i always wear my crab shorts and "Kramer" lobster shirt at least one day when i am at WDW,.................getting teased is fun Mom!!:mickey:

YOU HAVE A KRAMER LOBSTER SHIRT!?!?? oh MAN that is the coolest thing ever

caryrae
04-20-2009, 06:01 PM
I say the t-shirts would be a no no... muscle shirts, definately.

Can we have cut off muscle shirts to show off our bellies? Also can we cut off the sleeves of a t-shirt or does it have to be an authentic muscle shirt? I would also like to wear one of those old mess caps and have the bill just straight and not curve it.

morebroccoli
04-20-2009, 06:04 PM
the cool thing about having arms and legs full of extremely colorful tattoos and pink hair, is that it doesnt matter what i wear at all because everything else about me is so distracting.

maybe you should just try THAT... you can wear jorts all year long! woohoo!

in fact, i think i'll try that this sept.

maybe we should have a 'jorts meet'. illuminations, snacks and jorts!

i love it!

Mousemates
04-20-2009, 07:35 PM
I'm on my way to wal-mart right now to get a pair of "faded glory's" to make some of those custom Jorts...and if needed I will gladly be the prez of the Smoky Mtn Chapter of the intercot jort wearers support group. :D

Ian
04-20-2009, 08:10 PM
I would also like to wear one of those old mess caps and have the bill just straight and not curve it.Bad news ... straight bill is the fashion these days.

You'd be cool and current if you did that. ;)

minnie1956
04-20-2009, 08:21 PM
And I have seen much worse things at the "world" other than 'jorts'. With so much fashion crime being comitted on a regular basis I can't believe poor little 'jorts' even merit being mentioned.

Stu29573
04-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Maybe we could come up with a special denim "Jort Junkies" fanny pack? .....ok, maybe that's a bit much :D

texasteacher
04-20-2009, 10:27 PM
June 13 will be my 11th WDW trip, and I can honestly say that I don't care at all what other people are wearing.
I am always too busy having fun to notice!

tcswife
04-20-2009, 10:40 PM
I will be in the World in 23 days with my jorts and skorts!!!

I only notice the men wearing capri's!!!!!!

Darbylew
04-20-2009, 10:41 PM
I don't see anything wrong with jean shorts. I
think they look nice like any other pair of shorts. They sure are comfortable to me. When
you are at Disney you see all kinds of clothing.
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GOING BACK IN
NOVEMBER 2009..........:D

tjstrike
04-21-2009, 01:04 AM
I'm on my way to wal-mart right now to get a pair of "faded glory's" to make some of those custom Jorts...and if needed I will gladly be the prez of the Smoky Mtn Chapter of the intercot jort wearers support group. :D

Let me know when we're having a meet, I'm in Athens !! :thumbsup:

Diznee4Me
04-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Dressing one morning for MK,
I put on my Jean shorts

I had no idea I was wearing,
something called jorts

people pointed and stared,
but I didn't even care

but now this thread has me
all out of sorts.

:D

Pagan
04-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Come to think of it, it doesn't matter if I wear my jorts of not...the way I look people stare at me anyway. :D

FriendsofMickey
04-21-2009, 10:29 AM
This thread has me laughing. I had to click because there were so many replies! I only read the first page and the last.

Good for you for wearing what you want!

I wear whatever fits and I like on me (which is hard nowadays since I have gained...but that is another story). I never have and never will care what the 'style' or 'fashion' is. People really care too much what others think. Why do they know better?

My dh has a ton of jean shorts.. he will be wearing them at Disney and he will not even notice they are "out of style" nor will he care. It is what he likes, it is what he wears.

funny story:
I remember in highschool (giving my age away here) a new girl came into school. She was wearing those MC Hammer pants. OH MY GOODNESS was she ridiculed and teased but a lot of people. Then within a month EVERYONE had them on. .... I never could quite figure out why if they were so hiddious that they teased her, then why did the jump on the bandwagon when they become the "style"....

whitney37354
04-21-2009, 11:35 AM
Let me know when we're having a meet, I'm in Athens !! :thumbsup:

Wow, I'm in Madisonville! My DH, DD, & I will probably all be sporting our jorts at some point at WDW. All East Tennessee board members need to get together and compare our jorts.....

Stu29573
04-21-2009, 11:57 AM
June 13 will be my 11th WDW trip, and I can honestly say that I don't care at all what other people are wearing.
I am always too busy having fun to notice!

I'll be there the 14th for my 6th. If I see ya I'll wave!

castlelady36
04-21-2009, 12:25 PM
This thread is too funny!! That beind said I wonder why everyone else is worrying about what everyone else is wearing???? Aren't you there to enjoy Disney? No one really looks at anyone else (ok unless they are freakishly dressed) as they are busy enjoying their vacation. It's not like we are there to compete in a fashion show and the indviduals who are concerned because of "pride with their appearance"....when you go home with all your disney photos of the perfect outfit I hope you are able to remember the fun you had not what you wore.

PrettyMinnie
04-21-2009, 03:40 PM
Well, I must confess that i have not read all the posts but this thread is hilarious. I agree that it shouldn't matter what you are wearing especially in Disney World!

That being said, I am teenager and consider myself to be somewhat "in the know" about fashion, (I would never say I was fashion savvy though) and I can honestly attest to never having heard ANYTHING about jean shorts being out of style. But maybe, like another poster said, you live in a very fashion forward part of the country. But I will be wearing my jean shorts in WDW in May!

BluewaterBrad
04-21-2009, 03:46 PM
YOU HAVE A KRAMER LOBSTER SHIRT!?!?? oh MAN that is the coolest thing ever

Thanks Beth!! I think my wife got it online.:mickey:

Floridian Yeti
04-21-2009, 03:53 PM
I don't have any jorts, but after all this I have to admit I'm kinda wanting some now.

"Fashion is what you adopt when you don't know who you are".
- Quentin Crisp

DVC2004
04-22-2009, 09:05 AM
OK I showed up late to the party.:party:
Just was shopping at American Eagle the other day for our upcoming trip. In the women's section there were lots of jean shorts (cut off style) and some skinny cropped jeans in the summer collections. I didn't see any in the men's section. So basically if they aren't grandma style and you can pull off the shorties or the skinny look go for it. As for men- my husband wears the cargo style shorts. They look good and always seem to be "in". they are at all the stores. Just don't wear socks with sandals. So if you care that's my 2 cents. If you don't care than wear whatever you want! LOL.

pixiesmimi
04-22-2009, 10:08 AM
I really look out of fashion at WDW I guess because I wear what is comfortable and cool (weather wise) and don't really care what I look like except of course when I get home and see how bad I look in some of the pictures. :blush:

Just looked at Gymboree and the newest collection for kids is a whole lot of "jorts" so guess they haven't gone out of style just yet. I buy what the stores are selling and figure, if anyone, they know what is in style. I never pay attention to what my kids say I should wear because most of the time I couldn't find it in my size and I would just look like a "mom" trying to look like her kids. :) Besides, I like to embarrass them. :D

caryrae
04-22-2009, 10:23 AM
So who really decides what is out of fashion anyway (specificly Jorts)?

mouseketeer mom
04-22-2009, 10:23 AM
I have never heard the Jort term.
However, It never even crossed my mind that jean shorts were an issue. Us girls all have them. I even dress mine up with a cute belt and top. My girls pair theirs with everything, and they sell them everywhere, everyone is wearing them around here. You can by them in all lengths and shades. This is the craziest topic.

caryrae
04-22-2009, 10:25 AM
I have never heard the Jort term.
However, It never even crossed my mind that jean shorts were an issue. Us girls all have them. I even dress mine up with a cute belt and top. My girls pair theirs with everything, and they sell them everywhere, everyone is wearing them around here. You can by them in all lengths and shades. This is the craziest topic.

Well it sounds like Jorts on Women are OK but Jorts on Men are a NO NO.

goofysbabe
04-22-2009, 10:29 AM
I really wouldn't worry about jorts - just make sure you match - back in Dec. there were SEVERAL people who had on things that did not match what so ever - One person I just couldn't get over and I hate to say, but yes I took a picture I just had to have the memory - a what was she thinking in my scrapbook :confused:

caryrae
04-22-2009, 10:33 AM
I saw this pic on the internet.

Click Here (http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z64/caryrae73/fear_the_jorts_shirt-p2355891173926.jpg?)

morebroccoli
04-22-2009, 12:42 PM
I saw this pic on the internet.

Click Here (http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z64/caryrae73/fear_the_jorts_shirt-p2355891173926.jpg?)

YES, that is FANTASTIC! im getting that shirt to wear with my jean-hat and jean-shorts and denim shoes!

TikiLounger
04-22-2009, 01:08 PM
You know what's funny? Although we (my family and I) never notice or care what anyone else is wearing...especially in Disney World, we have noticed that, while there, lots of other people do. On our last trip, my daughter (who happens to be very tall, attractive, and eye catching) was very entertained by the fact that other teenage girls checked her and her clothing out...constantly. It was very interesting, to say the least. She doesn't care about fashion or what "everyone else" is wearing...at all...so, she wears what she likes and what feels comfortable. There's something to be said for projecting confidence and individuality because I believe this is what makes her stand out. She's not a clone of every other 17yr old girl. Another funny thing...because everyone stared at her, she stared back and noticed that most the those girls looked like little clones of their mothers. Same hair, same clothes, same shoes, handbags, etc. Scary.

kakn7294
04-22-2009, 01:16 PM
YES, that is FANTASTIC! im getting that shirt to wear with my jean-hat and jean-shorts and denim shoes!I have an awesome denim hobo purse with the POTC logo on it (from the Disney Store a couple of years ago) that would be perfect with that ensemble!

morebroccoli
04-22-2009, 02:39 PM
I dont own a pair of jorts but i have never seen anyone over the age of 20 who seems to really care what anyone wears. i understand its a big deal to those whose lives revolve around fashion, but that just isnt the case with the majority of Americans. especially ones who go to Disney.

on a side note, i will still make fun of fanny packs. only cause my mom wore one when i was a teen in the 80's and i was sooo embarrassed. i bet jorts are just this generations fanny pack! WOW I COULD WRITE AN ENTIRE ESSAY ON THIS

Nini5055
04-22-2009, 03:29 PM
OK...I'm diving into the JORT POOL!!!! :D

I never thought that a man who wore jean shorts aka Jorts was out of style. But Hey...what do I know because I think I look like a supermodel...have natural clevage :blush:....and wear a Fanny Pack with Skorts!!!!!:D:D:D

shhhhhh...don't tell my 7 year old I am out of style...I am one of the COOL moms right now!!!!:secret:

forever a child
04-22-2009, 04:30 PM
To jorts or not to jorts? That is the question!;)

TikiLounger
04-22-2009, 05:19 PM
To jorts or not to jorts? That is the question!;)

It's a little known fact that Shakespeare wore jorts over his tights...:silly:

Carol
04-22-2009, 06:26 PM
MODERATOR ALERT!

All bantering and bickering posts (and those quoting said posts) have been removed/edited. Let's not spoil a fun topic!

Carry on ........

Iluvpooh
04-22-2009, 08:18 PM
I personally am not a fan of jean shorts and I don't like for my to DB-in-Law wear them. He could care less if I like them or not and recently wore a pair to my DNephew's t-ball game. No one threw rocks or pointed or anything.:thumbsup:

On a side note. On our recent trip in February my DH FREESTYLED his jeans and walked around like that at AK all day. We have a nice pic of balloo making fun of him and his rolled up jeans. Now that is embarrassing!

PirateLover
04-23-2009, 01:04 AM
OK I made it to page 6 but I want to go to bed so here's my 2 cents. There are 3 groups of people that I see around the city who wear jean shorts.
1) Middle Aged Men
2) "Rocker" dudes with the cutoff style
3) Wanna be "Gangsta" teens who wear faded or pattern jean shorts that hang below their rear end and almost down to their ankles.

Personally I don't really care if you wear jean shorts, but here is my question: How on earth do you stay comfortable in them on a WDW trip in mid summer? I had a terrible experience wearing them on a school trip to an amusement park in the 90s. First of all, they seemed to make me feel even hotter, and caused my thighs to start sweating and chaffing against the denim. I went on a log flume ride to cool off and my "jorts" got soaked. My thighs got even more chaffed, and I was in so much pain, that I vowed to never wear jean shorts to an amusement park again.

I no longer have any jean shorts in my wardrobe. I do have 2 pairs of denim capris. The style of shorts I tend to wear can be found in the women's section at target. They tend to be lightweight, and very comfortable. They a decent length for me (Above the knee but covering the entire buttocks!)

As an aside, I always thought that the term "jorts" was the more narrowed definition of cutoff shorts, and I'm talking the short-shorts that leave little to the imagination. I have seen these on both men and women and must say... they are indeed a fashion no-no.

tjstrike
04-23-2009, 01:50 AM
Get a pair of daisy duke jorts and a "hollister" t-shirt and you'll blend in with 50 % of the crowd at WDW. :D

cinderella crazy
04-23-2009, 09:21 AM
Ok, just for the fact that I didn't even know what "jorts" meant.....
(thought it was a new type of shoe):crazy::hide:

LOL! I thought the same thing! :blush:

prttynpnk
04-23-2009, 09:54 AM
On a side note. On our recent trip in February my DH FREESTYLED his jeans and walked around like that at AK all day. We have a nice pic of balloo making fun of him and his rolled up jeans. Now that is embarrassing!

Ok, I feel less guilty for making fun of people if even the characters are joining in!!;)

Babe the Blue Ox
04-23-2009, 10:21 AM
Here the Blue Ox's park ensemble:

T-shirt
Jorts
Sandals

The T-shirt will probably be printed with either a local sports team or national park logo. It may or may not be tucked in.

The Jorts are definitely not cutoffs. They are purchased from such fine establishments as Kohls, Penneys, Gap or Eddie Bauer. Brand names include Levis, Eddie Bauer and Polo. Absolutely no belt and heaven forbid no phone clipped to the waist.

N0 socks with the sandals.

Marilyn Michetti
04-23-2009, 11:31 AM

Anyone else heard this?

As opposed to WHAT? I see little T-s with spaghetti straps over shorts that start and end at the belly button level.:D

I'm kinda older, (65), so I don't wear clothes that show lotsa skin, but (unless I'm not understanding what jean shorts are), I don't see what the "fluff" is.

BTW, if you REALLY want to embarrass your kids, start dancing to the music in public. If you're old enough to remember, do the "twist".:goof: Even better, sing - out loud - slightly off key.:sing:

Mousemates
04-23-2009, 03:56 PM
BTW, if you REALLY want to embarrass your kids, start dancing to the music in public.

:thumbsup:

Followthatmouse
04-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Even better, sing - out loud - slightly off key.:sing:

Now that one must have appeared in Mothers' Cliche Monthly. My DM certainly knew the off-key embarrass-your-daughter songbook by heart.

hubbyofadisneyholic
04-23-2009, 08:31 PM
BTW, if you REALLY want to embarrass your kids, start dancing to the music in public. If you're old enough to remember, do the "twist".:goof: Even better, sing - out loud - slightly off key.:sing:

LOL...my wife and m-i-l do that every trip. Drives our daughter and niece absolutely crazy. :crazy:

Who says paybacks can't be fun...:rotfl:

minnesotafreeze
04-24-2009, 12:08 AM
Men should not wear jean shorts. But what I find way worse are those fannie packs. Those should be outlawed, especially those big ones that hold 2 water bottles. The people that tuck their shirt under the fannie pack have given up all together. :goofy2:

gaffz70
04-24-2009, 07:12 AM
I officially feel old, I had no idea that they were out of style.
But I'm glad to see that jorts are jean shorts - I thought they were going to be some kind of speedo like shorts or something - now that would be embarrassing!

alex61821
04-24-2009, 12:23 PM
so what am i supposed to do? here i am reading this thread at work :secret: wearing my "jorts" that i didnt know were a no no till now. should i stay at my desk till everybody has gone home and it is dark enough to walk home without being seen?

Goes4FastPass
04-24-2009, 02:30 PM
As far as getting teased goes, I don't pay attention to what guests wear at WDW.

I don't picture a scene where I'm watching SpectroMagic approach and the music plays

On this magic night,
A million stars will play beside us,
Cast a spell of light,
Glimmering, shimmering, carousel-ling...

Whoa! Wait a minute! There's a guy wearing jean shorts! I wonder if his bottom wishes it were wearing something cooler? Should I go tease him? Oh well, did I miss anything?

...Though we say goodbye
We cast a spell that won't be broken...

sleepingbooty
04-24-2009, 07:58 PM
On a side note. On our recent trip in February my DH FREESTYLED his jeans and walked around like that at AK all day.

What does this mean? (Intercot has now become my 'go to' place to learn new fashion terms):blush:

MNNHFLTX
04-24-2009, 08:40 PM
What does this mean? (Intercot has now become my 'go to' place to learn new fashion terms):blush:
I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's when you have long pants and you roll up the bottoms into cuffs.:confused:

betteratmk
04-24-2009, 08:48 PM
As far as getting teased goes, I don't pay attention to what guests wear at WDW.

I don't picture a scene where I'm watching SpectroMagic approach and the music plays

On this magic night,
A million stars will play beside us,
Cast a spell of light,
Glimmering, shimmering, carousel-ling...

Whoa! Wait a minute! There's a guy wearing jean shorts! I wonder if his bottom wishes it were wearing something cooler? Should I go tease him? Oh well, did I miss anything?

...Though we say goodbye
We cast a spell that won't be broken...

Not to change the thread but do you know where I can get the words or a recording of the music to Spectro Magic? Thanks

BMan62
04-24-2009, 08:51 PM
Not to change the thread but do you know where I can get the words or a recording of the music to Spectro Magic? Thanks

Just PM'd you the lyrics site.

JRocker
04-24-2009, 08:58 PM
So, I made the trip to pick up my oldest daughter for the weekend. Her major is fashion design/marketing. While we were eating lunch at Fridays, I asked about "Jorts"

She says "What? What the heck are Jorts."

Of course I replied, "You don't know? I can't believe you don't know. Wow, you're just not hip for a youngster, are you?"

So after a few bites and teasing, I explained the whole todo. After she stopped laughing, she asked, "you got this information where?"

I stood up for the board after that. She just doesn't know how smart we are. :cool: I mean, come on, she didn't even know what Jorts were.

And according to her answers, the schools still aren't teaching "real world". I should send her somewhere else that actually knows fashion, obviously.

SFTrny
04-24-2009, 09:23 PM

HEY! We're talking JORTS here! VERY IMPORTANT STUFF! Don't try to distract us from a very important topic!

caryrae
04-25-2009, 11:28 AM
I watched Everbody Loves Raymond last night, the one where they went to Italy and Raymond wearing Jorts and nobody was pointing and laughing at him. lol

SBETigg
04-25-2009, 04:04 PM
I just got back and I didn't notice any guys in denim shorts. But then, the only things that really stood out were the loud colors or patterns or ill-fitting clothes. Basically, if your clothes fit you right and you looked passably normal for a day at the parks, you easily escaped my notice.

With some of the things that I saw out there this week, denim shorts do not even begin to fall into the "avoid at all costs" category. But ladies, let's rethink some of those tight, tiny tank tops. Wow.

PirateLover
04-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Seen at the Jersey Shore this weekend: Countless Men, Women, and Children in jean shorts.

SFTrny
04-26-2009, 10:28 AM
Seen at the Jersey Shore this weekend: Countless Men, Women, and Children in jean shorts.

I'm confused. Is this an argument in favor or against? :confused:

PirateLover
04-26-2009, 10:49 AM
I'm confused. Is this an argument in favor or against? :confused:

Lol, not really either I guess. Just stating that lots of people are still wearing them...don't think anyone is gonna get teased.

forever a child
04-26-2009, 11:40 AM
so what am i supposed to do? here i am reading this thread at work :secret: wearing my "jorts" that i didnt know were a no no till now. should i stay at my desk till everybody has gone home and it is dark enough to walk home without being seen?

Hope you made it home safely!:secret:
:thumbsup: :wave:

BrownEyedGrrl
04-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Okay, I'm a smidge confused here- are we talking about cut-off jeans, or denim shorts? If it's denim shorts we're talking about, then I'd have to say that it depends on your locale as to whether or not it's considered out of style. Around here, denim shorts for men, women, teens, children, and babies are all over the place, and is the same in at least all the bordering states. I can't imagine that this is what is considered 'out of style'.

But, I'm sure that IF denim shorts are "out of style" somewhere, it's just because some clothing manufacturer wants some new product of theirs to start selling instead. I think it's silly to worry about what is "in" and what is "out" anyway. Wear your jean shorts proudly! :D

Toughbug
04-26-2009, 07:00 PM
Okay, I admit I do the fanny pack but the jean shorts are for the drive up and drive home. No matter how out of style they are, I think they are comfortable for driving.

And where the shorts that are comfortable for you. Don't obcess over fashion. Chances are you won't see anyone you know except for your family.

jillluvsdisney
04-26-2009, 07:10 PM
I had never heard the term jorts before reading this. I think jean shorts are fine for men or women. What no man should EVER be caught wearing is pair of CROCS.:sick:

magicofdisney
04-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Men should not wear jean shorts. But what I find way worse are those fannie packs. Those should be outlawed, especially those big ones that hold 2 water bottles. The people that tuck their shirt under the fannie pack have given up all together. :goofy2:
As someone who travels to Disney with family members that do just this thing, I can't help but laugh. :D

KylesMom
04-27-2009, 02:25 PM
Well, I just got back from my lunch hour where I was trying to find some summer bargains. Jean Shorts are all over in the stores - so, at least in the midwest, Jorts are an acceptable form of dress! :mickey:

SBETigg
04-27-2009, 03:33 PM
I just watched Anthony Bourdain in French Polynesia (No Reservations) on the Travel Channel and he was wearing denim cut-offs. I probably wouldn't have even noticed if we hadn't been discussing it here.

TiggeRia
04-27-2009, 09:23 PM
I just got back from a week long trip to WDW and I must say that I found myself looking at the shorts that people were wearing because of this thread! I must say that while the majority of men/boys wore non denim shorts, there were plenty of people (of all ages) wearing "jorts". I can't believe that I actually paid attention to what kind of shorts people were wearing, but this thread made me do it! :mickey:

hubbyofadisneyholic
04-27-2009, 09:27 PM
I just got back from a week long trip to WDW and I must say that I found myself looking at the shorts that people were wearing because of this thread! I must say that while the majority of men/boys wore non denim shorts, there were plenty of people (of all ages) wearing "jorts". I can't believe that I actually paid attention to what kind of shorts people were wearing, but this thread made me do it! :mickey:

Ria, I'm sure that many months of very expensive therapy (preferably at the MK) can cure you...:D

kakn7294
04-27-2009, 09:40 PM
You know, I think that just because of this thread, I'll have DH wear his jean shorts, Crocs (with socks), and a fanny pack all together on our next trip. I'll have no trouble convincing him of the first 2 - the third will be a bit more difficult but once I explain this thread...

magicofdisney
04-28-2009, 09:10 AM
You know, I think that just because of this thread, I'll have DH wear his jean shorts, Crocs (with socks), and a fanny pack all together on our next trip. I'll have no trouble convincing him of the first 2 - the third will be a bit more difficult but once I explain this thread...
I think you mean Scrocs ;). And don't forget to have him tuck his shirt under his fannie pack. :)

pluto 77
04-28-2009, 09:25 AM
I love this thread!! It is by far one of the funniest I have read in a while :thumbsup: I too have never heard the term jorts before, but after reading this my future DH won't ever look at them the same. :D

Pagan
04-28-2009, 09:36 AM
I think you mean Scrocs ;). And don't forget to have him tuck his shirt under his fannie pack. :)
"Scrocs"

:rotfl:

Mendelson
04-28-2009, 09:41 AM
Any comment here now is just white noise, but why not...

I actually have a weird tactile thing (self-diagnosed, of course) toward denim. Hate the way it feels, rubs against the skin, etc. Can't stand it! Touching denim causes the nails-on-the-chalkboard effect for me (just typing this is giving me goosebumps) and if my wife or daughter ever have jeans on, they know to stear clear of me.

I realize I am vastly in the minority, as denim is so ubiquitous I sometimes wonder if a pair of jeans should become a national emblem, up there with the bald eagle.

So needless to say I will not be found in jorts. Khaki shorts are even more comfortable, IMHO, though much less durable and much more easily (and obviously) stained.

Mousemates
04-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Jorts....Freestylin....Scrocs I never realized how limited my fashion vocabulary was until this thread.

Babe the Blue Ox
05-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Well after over 200 replies and almost 7,000 page views, the missuz got tired of hearing about jorts and went out and bought me several pairs of "regular" shorts.

I guess I'll wear those things to the World next month but I'm sure I'll throw a couple of pairs of jorts in the bag just in case.

Hull-onian
05-01-2009, 02:42 PM
This was best thread ever. I really loved all the comments. It was great.:thumbsup:

Maxwell
05-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Can anyone confirm this? I heard that wearing jorts prevents Swine Flu...

Nicki'sMom
05-02-2009, 10:06 PM
:funny: This is the funniest thread I have ever seen! SO entertaining...I even had tears I laughed so hard. I love INTERCOT!

TikiGoddess
05-03-2009, 10:44 AM
I totally agree. This is one of the best threads to emerge in the last couple of months. Aside from being highly entertaining, we are all now educated in current fashion trends. :cool:

I know I will be on the lookout for jorts when we go in August. In fact, we should keep this thread going by having people report back from their trips... how many jorts did you see? :thumbsup:

Kathy

Sylvia
05-03-2009, 11:21 AM
:funny:Way too funny!:funny:

:rotfl: This thread makes me want to do some serious vacation planning - just so I can do my own "jorts" and "scrocs" surveys.:joy:

caryrae
05-03-2009, 03:34 PM
I know I will be on the lookout for jorts when we go in August. In fact, we should keep this thread going by having people report back from their trips... how many jorts did you see? :thumbsup:

Kathy

Yeah forget finding Hidden Mickeys, we need to find not so hidden jorts.

DizNee143
05-05-2009, 10:18 AM
im still trying to figure out the big deal with jean shorts are?!?!?!
i have never ever seen that as a problem...i dont know what your kids are talking about..
granted sometimes you see some people wear they too tight or too short and they sooo shouldnt be..but still i dont get all the commotion!?!
and when in the world did jorts become a word?!? what is a jort? who thought of such a word?

Babe the Blue Ox
05-05-2009, 02:35 PM
im still trying to figure out the big deal with jean shorts are?!?!?!
i have never ever seen that as a problem...i dont know what your kids are talking about..
granted sometimes you see some people wear they too tight or too short and they sooo shouldnt be..but still i dont get all the commotion!?!
and when in the world did jorts become a word?!? what is a jort? who thought of such a word?

Do an internet search for "Tim Tebow wears jean shorts" and you'll learn all you need to know.

WDWFanatic
05-05-2009, 03:33 PM
So we just returned from a wonderful Disney vacation...plenty of jort and sock wearing crocs! It was fun to look for. We also started to notice the various differnt lenght in men's shorts.

But the thing that surprised me the most was the amount of boys/men in their teen to 30's wearing flip flops (not the thong kind) with black socks!?! When did that become in style?

princessjojo
05-06-2009, 09:26 AM
While my kids and DH don't particularly like jean shorts, I feel it it makes you feel comfortable, go with it. My family doesn't like them because they think they're too heavy and stiff for the summer heat. They prefer cargo shorts because they aren't always as heavy.

As for crocs, we love them at WDW, especially in the summer. Think summer rain storms, and when you have to spend $10 or more drying your sneakers on a daily basis vs crocs where you can walk through any rain puddle and not worry, they're worth it, ugly and all. There's nothing worse than walking around Disney in a pair of soaking wet sneakers.

I say wear what makes you feel best, especially since you purchase your clothes for YOU and not them.

Hull-onian
05-14-2009, 03:54 PM
My husband wore jorts alot and was very comfortable on this trip. He looked good in them too. At the end of our trip, he tore the corner of his pocket, now I must mend it.:thumbsup:

Goes4FastPass
05-14-2009, 04:30 PM
EEEK!:crazy:

It's the jorts thread!

The topic that cannot die!

Do we prefer 100% cotton jorts or my Dad's kind, you know, that fab-oo cotton-poly blend stretch denim? I like the way the blended denim conforms to every bony bottom and stays dark because it never fades!

Hull-onian
05-15-2009, 07:35 PM
EEEK!:crazy:

It's the jorts thread!

Do we prefer 100% cotton jorts or my Dad's kind, you know, that fab-oo cotton-poly blend stretch denim? I like the way the blended denim conforms to every bony bottom and stays dark because it never fades!

Aww, come on now, you know this is the best thread on Intercot.:thumbsup:

mickeys_princess_mom
05-15-2009, 09:25 PM
OMG! Was grabbing a magazine to read in the tub tonight, and guess what Ashley Tisdale is wearing on the cover of April's Cosmopolitan?
You got it! Cute little top and jorts!
Hmmmm...shooting the heck out of a bunch of these theories.....
I had never heard the term before, and have read this thread for laughs many nights. Seems like Intercot should make a whole new category just for "Jorts". Hilarious. I would never tease anybody for wearing these (though they're too hot for me in the summer at WDW), but there are plenty of other fun getups to giggle at in the parks! DD and I love pretending to hand out "fashion tickets" when we see the really strange ones! Vive la difference! :thumbsup:

caryrae
05-15-2009, 10:19 PM
OMG! Was grabbing a magazine to read in the tub tonight, and guess what Ashley Tisdale is wearing on the cover of April's Cosmopolitan?
You got it! Cute little top and jorts!
Hmmmm...shooting the heck out of a bunch of these theories.....

Actually it seems on this thread it is just fine for women to wear jorts just not guys. Where is the Jort Smilie?

It'sWDW4me
05-15-2009, 10:53 PM
Are Zubaz back in style yet.:razz:

:funny: :rotfl:

I had to look this up! I must have blocked out the name of these "fashion" atrocities due to painful memories of seeing people actually wear them in public!!!!

mdhiggin
05-15-2009, 11:23 PM
I can't believe I just read 12 pages about jorts.

Emmanuel
05-16-2009, 03:02 AM
So, for the completely clueless here (me), jorts are cutoffs with unhemmed edges, and are unacceptable to most of the folks here? But denim shorts are sometimes okay? And plaid shorts are the current cool look for the stylish guy?

Regarding socks and sandals, I've always heard that in some countries - Asia, the mideast - the bottoms of the feet are considered to be unclean and offensive, because they're in contact with the ground where there's a lot of icky stuff. So, socks with sandals is the polite thing to do. I'm sure we have some asian and/or mideastern folks here who would know. But they probably don't wear jorts.

mickeys_princess_mom
05-16-2009, 06:28 AM
Where is the Jort Smilie?
I think we should have one!;)
Did this term originate with the OP? Anybody ever heard it outside of this thread?

playdead88
05-16-2009, 07:16 AM
Actually it seems on this thread it is just fine for women to wear jorts just not guys. Where is the Jort Smilie?

Yes!! absolutely right - jean shorts do not become jorts until a man puts them on - jean shorts are fabulous for a chick - jorts on a man are equal to a fanny pack on anyone, a mullet or pleated shorts/pants BUT this is all fashion opinion what i may not be caught dead in or allow dh to be caught dead in may be fine for someone else to wear - if what you have on makes you happy then go for it - although if you have a mullet and are wearing a fanny pack around your jorts i may have to snap a phone pic :mickey:

Mrs Bus Driver
05-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Did this term originate with the OP? Anybody ever heard it outside of this thread?

When I mentioned jorts to DD she knew exactly what I was talking about. :jaw:

EEEK!

It's the jorts thread!

You know what we love to do with topics here on intercot :beat: :mickey:

When we get our new jort smilie can it do this? :fresh:

pink
05-16-2009, 12:08 PM
I live in New York (AKA the fashion capital of the world) and people wear jean shorts all the time.

They still sell them in the stores.

Men's shorts are always longer (a little above the knee) but they're still in.

(I'm not talking about the shorts with fringe on the end.)

kakn7294
05-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Just had to chime in again. I had a yard sale today and you would not believe the number of jorts I sold today! They're still pretty popular here! Oh yeah, and a number of people showed up either wearing jorts or scrocs.

1DisneyNut
05-16-2009, 03:38 PM
Well if short down to the ankles that are 6 sizes to big are what is in style I guess I will just wear jeans or pants. I don't see how anyone can stand to wear those loose baggy shorts. I have never and never will wear a pair of crocs. I think they are hidious. lol

SharkBait
05-16-2009, 07:44 PM
I would never laugh at someone for wearing jean shorts, but I would never wear them. They went out of style in the mid 90's.

To prove my point I called my parents and asked my mom if my dad is still wearing jean shorts. He is about 15 years late in regards to fashion.

Her response was no, she finally got rid of all his old pairs. So if my dad is no longer wearing jean shorts, the rest of the USA should no longer be wearing jean shorts.

SFTrny
05-16-2009, 08:00 PM
This is the thread that will not end.
Yes it goes on and on my friends.

cer
05-16-2009, 08:13 PM

No kidding.

SFTrny
05-16-2009, 08:23 PM
What is the Intercot record for:

- most mosts ever on a single thread?

- longest duration thread?

Mousemates
05-16-2009, 09:20 PM
I would never laugh at someone for wearing jean shorts, but I would never wear them. They went out of style in the mid 90's.

To prove my point I called my parents and asked my mom if my dad is still wearing jean shorts. He is about 15 years late in regards to fashion.

Her response was no, she finally got rid of all his old pairs. So if my dad is no longer wearing jean shorts, the rest of the USA should no longer be wearing jean shorts.

Not sure that proves much of anything....since fashion tends to repeat itself about every 20 years or so, maybe the jort wearers of today are actually on the cutting edge of fashion and all the naysayers are the ones behind the times. :number1:

Mousemates, Honorary President of the Tennessee Valley Association of Jort and Scroc Wearers

iheartdisney
05-17-2009, 08:31 AM

And now I've got that silly song stuck in my head! :crazy: :sing::crazy:

...and they just started singing it forever just because, this is the "thread" that never ends....

Mickey052501
05-17-2009, 01:10 PM
My husband and I wear jean shorts all of the time and we saw lots of other people wearing them as well.

Enjoy,
Jen:thumbsup:

GBBT
05-17-2009, 08:09 PM
Boy I did not know they were out of fashion.I rarely wear my 2 pair,so I guess I need to get rid of them.:confused:My BIL will get a shock out of that,denim shorts is all he wears .

stitchaholic
05-18-2009, 08:44 AM
not sure how long this thread has been going,but we have come around to 80's retro and jorts are back in full force,i see all the girls walking down the street wearing them this year

darthmacho
05-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Please tell your kids that when they have enough knowledge of the world where they can both pay the mortgage and take the family to WDW, then maybe they can comment on what you wear while you are there. Until then they should consider themselves lucky that you don't leave them with a babysitter while you and your spouse enjoy the nice upgrade you got with the extra money you would have spent on their plane tickets, not to mention the extra pairs of jorts you could buy...:mickey: