PDA

View Full Version : Any guess what kind of dog this is?

Cinderelley
04-16-2009, 12:29 PM
I found this puppy wandering this streets this morning. Our animal control has a website where owners can list and post pictures of their lost pets. Unfortunately, it is 80 pages long. :eek: I can narrow it down by breed. I originally thought of a collie, but when I looked up border collie, the colors were all wrong. Any guesses to help a poor soul out?

puppy pic (http://image66.webshots.com/766/2/46/93/2061246930100927225auYHzC_fs.jpg)

murphy1
04-16-2009, 12:52 PM
I can't see the pic. I have a Border Collie, they are generally black/white or brown/white. If they are a mix, they can be those colors or a mix, even blonde. See if you can post another picture.

divinedi
04-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Can't get the picture to come up either, but we had a rough collie, they are brown, light and some dark, and white, could that be it?

RenDuran
04-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Cute dog! It's probably a mix of some sort. It could possibly have some sheltie or pomeranian in it. Maybe even chow...that coat looks really thick and luxurious. Whoever it belongs to looks like they've cared for it. The coat looks pretty groomed from what I can see.

Good luck!

Cinderelley
04-16-2009, 01:18 PM
The picture came up for me before. I'll try to figure out what's wrong with the picture.

DisneyDog
04-16-2009, 01:19 PM
I can't see the picture either. You may want to look on the American Kennel Club's website. Of course, if it's a mix, you might not be able to narrow it down. My dog is a Bichon/poodle mix, and I am always having people come up to me asking if it's some other breed (she actually looks like a Portuguese Water Spaniel, like the President just got).

Cinderelley
04-16-2009, 01:25 PM
I looked up sheltie pics. I think you're right on with the sheltie mix. My DD came home from school - early release. We're both starting to fall in love with him. We found out it's a boy. Now I have to get DH to like it. Then we'll pick out a name. :cloud9:

Actually, we're taking him to our vet to have them scan him for a microchip. I'm sure somebody loves him and is missing him.

Buuuut, if no one turns up, we'll be more than happy to claim him. :D

murphy1
04-16-2009, 01:59 PM
I had a Sheltie growing up, very sweet dogs (I love herding dogs!!) Good luck, maybe it is meant that you and this dog be together. Do you remember that show Mad About you with Helen Hunt and they had that dog Murray on the show? That dog was a Collie/Lab mix.

Cinderelley
04-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Thanks for taking a look everyone. Just got back from the vet. No microchip. He confirmed that he is a sheltie - about 8 years old. :eyes: He looks like a puppy!! His fur actually has quite a bit of matting once you take a close look. I think we'll probably have to shave him.

No reports of him missing on the website. DD's already picked out a name for him - Simba. I told her to not get her hopes up too much yet.

We got his shots and brought home a stool collection kit to check him for worms & such. The vet says he'll need about $800 worth of dental work. I told him we'll have to figure out if we're keeping him or not first. In the meantime, he's settled in to our house quite nicely; he's already figured out how to get snacks out of DD.

Stitchahula
04-16-2009, 07:27 PM
I hope things work out for yo with the pup. The saddest part is that he could've been left to fend for himself, so many people are doing that these days. If that is the case I'm glad he's found someone with a big heart to spend the rest of his days with. At least that way you know he'll be loved and cared for.:thumbsup:

IamBelle
04-16-2009, 07:57 PM
I have a Sheltie named Jake who is around 10 years old. He is a very good dog and a good watchdog.

SBETigg
04-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Research the breed before you shave him, perhaps. My in-laws had Shelties and I seem to recall something about their fur being necessary to their health-- a heating/cooling system and source of oils for their skin? Maybe it was just bunk, but they were meticulous about carefully combing and brushing all the tangles out and maintaining the coat. It could take hours. Very rarely they would have to cut more severe tangles out. Shelties are shedders, not the sort of dog that normally gets clipped.

BrerGnat
04-16-2009, 09:09 PM
It's okay to shave a sheltie. We had a rough collie (actually 2), and since you live in a warm climate, it's fine to shave him every once in awhile. We used to shave our collie about once every couple years in the summer (when it would get too hot for him in Northern CA). The groomers would clip the hair down to about 1" long. The coat grows back. Sometimes, it's preferable to shave off matted fur than try to comb it out. It can be very painful/stressful to the dog to groom a matted coat that has not been maintained properly due to neglect or abandonment.

Hope all goes well with the dog.

SBETigg
04-16-2009, 09:40 PM
Thanks, Natalie. Good to know. Better not to stress the poor dog out. He's probably been through enough.

Best wishes with him!

RenDuran
04-16-2009, 11:13 PM
Thanks for taking a look everyone. Just got back from the vet. No microchip. He confirmed that he is a sheltie - about 8 years old. :eyes: He looks like a puppy!! His fur actually has quite a bit of matting once you take a close look. I think we'll probably have to shave him.

No reports of him missing on the website. DD's already picked out a name for him - Simba. I told her to not get her hopes up too much yet.

We got his shots and brought home a stool collection kit to check him for worms & such. The vet says he'll need about $800 worth of dental work. I told him we'll have to figure out if we're keeping him or not first. In the meantime, he's settled in to our house quite nicely; he's already figured out how to get snacks out of DD.

Wow! You just found him this morning and he's already had a physical and shots?! You and your family are pretty amazing! Good luck!

Cinderelley
04-17-2009, 10:46 AM
It was the vet who actually suggested shaving him during his physical.

RenDuran, I would love to say that I did that out of the kindness of my heart, but that would be a lie. He has had a physical and his shots already, because I'm not willing to risk my dogs' and kids' health. Plus we have a wonderful vet that we met through our church years ago. He's been with us through thick and thin, and his staff is just as caring. As soon as they found out the situation, they got us in within an hour.

I think DH is starting to get attached to him. The irony of the situation is DH always talked about a sheltie that he used to have named "Sasha", so we had agreed to get a sheltie when one of our other dogs passed. I didn't realize at the time how small they are. I might've had second thoughts if I did. I'm afraid he'll be trampled at some point. Our other two dogs are 102 lbs & 73 lbs. He's only 22 lbs. In fact, DH just called me on the way to his work and said "You know you'll have a name picked out for him by the time I get home, right?" I doubt if we do, but it is funny that he is thinking about it.

DD's list of potential names
1) Simba
2) Prince
3) Tramp (I'm kind've partial to this one, because DD looks at the three of them and calls them "ladies and the tramp") :laughing:
4) Lumiere
5) Pierre

I'm sure it will get longer. ;)

mixelate
04-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Don't shave it if you can't help it!

Unless my memory serves me wrong, dogs have a top coat and an under coat.. and I believe that when you shave the dog only the undercoat grows back in.. which is fine, fluffy hair. It can get worse! But I guess if the dog is really really matted, you may have to shave it.
We had a Old English Sheep dog shaved once ( at the vets) and it was probably the worst decision ever. This coming from the daughter of a dog groomer :)

So nice to hear that you have taken the dog in and taken care if it, there are far too many neglected strays out there!

Cinderelley
04-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Bad update!!

I worked the last 4 nights, but the dog bit DD yeseterday. She didn't need stitches and the ER doc said the chance of rabies was "infintesimal" even though the rabies shot was only 4 days ago which was good. She did get her tetanus shot updated though. This morning her arm is really sore, and she thinks I'm evil :thedolls:for making her get it. I'll be taking the dog down to the pound for quarantine today.

DD says she was petting the stray and our dog Mydnyght at the same time, when the stray growled and tried to bite Mydnyght. DD's leg got in the way. Once the stray bit DD, Mydnyght growled and shoved the stray away from DD before she started licking DD's leg where she was bit.

Even though he's cute, he may not be right for our house. I don't want him biting DD again, and I don't want our other dogs hurting him if something happens. I'm sure they could damage him very easily. He's 22 lbs. and our other two are 73 lbs. and 102 lbs. On the other hand, I don't want them putting him down. I don't know what I'm going to do at this point other than quarantine him.

NotaGeek
04-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Bad update!!

I worked the last 4 nights, but the dog bit DD yeseterday. She didn't need stitches and the ER doc said the chance of rabies was "infintesimal" even though the rabies shot was only 4 days ago which was good. She did get her tetanus shot updated though. This morning her arm is really sore, and she thinks I'm evil :thedolls:for making her get it. I'll be taking the dog down to the pound for quarantine today.

DD says she was petting the stray and our dog Mydnyght at the same time, when the stray growled and tried to bite Mydnyght. DD's leg got in the way. Once the stray bit DD, Mydnyght growled and shoved the stray away from DD before she started licking DD's leg where she was bit.

Even though he's cute, he may not be right for our house. I don't want him biting DD again, and I don't want our other dogs hurting him if something happens. I'm sure they could damage him very easily. He's 22 lbs. and our other two are 73 lbs. and 102 lbs. On the other hand, I don't want them putting him down. I don't know what I'm going to do at this point other than quarantine him.
Why would you take the dog to the pound? From what you described this isn't a "rabies" situation ... please find a no-kill shelter group in your area. If you would like some help finding a place to take the dog instead of the city pound -- in fact I just noticed you are in Phoenix and I know an amazing local shelter than will take the dog ...

RenDuran
04-21-2009, 01:16 PM
Sorry that happened! I'm glad it wasn't anything more serious for your daughter.

Isn't there more of a chance that an owner will come forward if the dog is at the pound anyway? In our area, owners that are missing a dog are told to come into the shelter, even though they have reported their dog missing. Descriptions vary from person to person, and collars and other identification sometimes fall off. Coming into the shelter is sometimes the only way people find their pet.

Cinderelley
04-21-2009, 01:21 PM
Why would you take the dog to the pound? From what you described this isn't a "rabies" situation ... please find a no-kill shelter group in your area. If you would like some help finding a place to take the dog instead of the city pound -- in fact I just noticed you are in Phoenix and I know an amazing local shelter than will take the dog ...

The dog has to go to the pound to be quarantined since it bit someone.

Cinderelley
04-21-2009, 01:26 PM
Sorry that happened! I'm glad it wasn't anything more serious for your daughter.

Isn't there more of a chance that an owner will come forward if the dog is at the pound anyway? In our area, owners that are missing a dog are told to come into the shelter, even though they have reported their dog missing. Descriptions vary from person to person, and collars and other identification sometimes fall off. Coming into the shelter is sometimes the only way people find their pet.

When I first found him, I called animal control. The employee there told me to go onto the website. The pound has the website to post missing/found animals. There weren't any dogs matching his description on there. He did have a collar, but no tag on it. There's lots of news stories around here about people dumping their animals with the economy being so bad, so the animal shelters are being strained. I was trying to keep from adding another one to their mix.

Dulcee
04-21-2009, 07:53 PM
There's lots of news stories around here about people dumping their animals with the economy being so bad, so the animal shelters are being strained. I was trying to keep from adding another one to their mix.

Shelters are being horribly strained. Some of you may remember I've been working on a research study that has had me in and out of many shelters for the past year. The influx of "owner surrenders" and strays in too good of condition to be true strays has been staggering.

While I know many are against no kill shelters, and I use to be until being in some, putting some of these animals down is far more humane then cramming large numbers of animals into already inadequate facilities that are highly stressful for their occupants. There's just too many abandoned and stray pets for even the best of facilities to care for them all.

Sorry to here about your DD. I hope it turns out ok for her and the furry little guy who made a mistake.

RenDuran
05-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Any news on the dog?