PDA

View Full Version : A Poll for the Ladies of Intercot

alphamommy
04-16-2009, 10:09 AM
Just curious.

I don't wear dresses or skirts much, but I understand that the thing these days is to skip the panty hose. Thus the question: do you wear hose or not, or do you just skip dresses completely?

If you don't wear hose, how do you keep your feet from sticking to your shoes??? I've tried not wearing hose, but my feet were very uncomfortable in my shoes.

Thanks!

MickeyMousse
04-16-2009, 10:17 AM
I was brought up wearing hose with skirts and dresses and I feel like "something's missing" if I don't!! Plus, I don't have the best legs in the world, so the hose helps!!

divinedi
04-16-2009, 10:30 AM
I have always worn hose with dresses/skirts etc., but my girls never wear them with their skirts or dresses they do wear on occasion. Just don't feel comfortable in dresses anymore, prefer pants or shorts if it's warm!

KylesMom
04-16-2009, 10:32 AM
I was brought up wearing hose with skirts and dresses and I feel like "something's missing" if I don't!! Ditto on that one! :mickey:

As to the original post about feet sticking to your shoes, I've never figured that one out, either. I guess any shoes that are lined with vinyl or hard leather are out!

ChipDale2708
04-16-2009, 10:52 AM
I voted yes to wearing nylons w/ a dress or skirt. However it depends on the reason for wearing either, the style and the time of year. Once the warm weather hits the idea of putting on full nylons or even knee highs is painful. I'm in sandals or flip flops all the time. My office has completely let go of a dress code, so I even wear 'dressy' flip flops to work. Now I only own one pair of full nylons. I hope I don't get a run in them, not sure what to buy anymore! :blush:

diz_girl
04-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Most times when I wear a skirt I don't wear hose. Sometimes I do, if I'm wearing pumps and I can't wear Peds or if opaque hose would be appropriate with the outfit. In the winter I'll wear my skirts with knee-high boots, so I just wear thin socks, but once in a while I might wear tights or opaque hose. In the warmer months, I'll wear sandals or mules, so hose wouldn't look right with those shoes. I just don't like the look of hose under sandals, especially when you can see the seam along the toes.

I've found that my feet slip more with hose or tights than without. Some company out there must make a non-slip adhesive strip or something where you can put a thin piece of rubber (on your shoes under your heel).

c&d
04-16-2009, 10:59 AM
In the winter definitely. Once we hit warm weather they're gone.

As for sticky feet, I'm always sliding my shoes off. If I could go barefoot all the time I'd be really happy.

Dragongirlx
04-16-2009, 11:08 AM
I always tend to wear them I don't think my legs look good without them - plus it never gets warm enough to go without even in summer

SBETigg
04-16-2009, 11:31 AM
The answer is really yes and no, and I don't wear skirts/dresses often. Sometimes I wear panty hose. I prefer to because I feel more dressed. But it has become not so fashionable to do so, so I don't wear them in warmer weather.

kakn7294
04-16-2009, 11:38 AM
I rarely wear a dress or skirt but when I do, I have to wear pantyhose or I feel as if I'm not fully dressed. My DDs however, don't always wear hose with their dresses - they are 14 and 9.

jrkcr
04-16-2009, 12:24 PM
In winter, I wear tall boots with my skirts. So if it is really cold out, I will wear tights-thick and warmer than hose- with my dress boots. But you can't see the tights. And if it is really freezing out, and I want to wear a skirt, I add a pair of leggings too! Which is why my skirts are long.

In summer, when I wear a skirt, I wear dressy flip-flops or sandals. No hose. But I fake tan my legs first! :blush:

Gooftroop5
04-16-2009, 12:47 PM
I don't wear skirts or dresses very often. I try to stick with long skirts & dresses so I can get away with knee highs. If the skirt or dress is too short for knee highs then its full hose. I do in the summer if I am wearing sandals go without but they aren't very dressy sandals so I don't stick to them.

I agree that is about the shoes. It is the biggest reason I wear hose. I can't stand my feet sticking. Most of those dress shoes are uncomfortable with the hose only makes it worse not wearing any. My sil doesn't wear either. She is forever slipping off her shoes cause her feet hurt & you can see the red marks where the shoes were rubbing. OUCH!

BriarRose0708
04-16-2009, 12:54 PM
I think I own one pair of nylons that rarely get used. I don't even wear trouser socks to work- I hate waring socks, period.

LauraF
04-16-2009, 01:42 PM
I always wear pantyhose with my skirts, unless it's a floor length and there's no chance of seeing more than an ankle. Call me old fashioned, but my mother was vehement about me wearing it, and I do feel a bit underdressed without it. (Tights in the winter - pantyhose doesn't help with wind chill.)

As far as sticky feet goes, I usally dust them with baby powder before putting the shoes on, and if it's really hot/humid, I'll do one more time in the afternoon. Normally that does the trick. Travel size baby powder fits in the purse and is very useful for all sorts of things.

murphy1
04-16-2009, 02:08 PM
I grew up in Florida and didn't wear hose unless it was a very formal occasion, plus I was tanner in those days. I don't dress up as much now these days being a stay home mom (I do freelance work out of my home too), but I like to wear hose now if I wear a dress.

Disney Doll
04-16-2009, 03:33 PM
No hose for me. Hose are just plain uncomfortable. Occasionally I wear skirts with knee high boots in the winter and I wear socks. I mostly wear skirts in the summer and I always wear sandals so hose aren't needed.

Hull-onian
04-16-2009, 04:28 PM
I was brought up wearing hose with skirts and dresses and I feel like "something's missing" if I don't!! Plus, I don't have the best legs in the world, so the hose helps!!

:ditto:

IloveJack
04-16-2009, 04:36 PM
I really think it's a generational thing. There is an obvious gap where I work between the older women teachers wearing hose, and the younger (20s-early 30s) ones not.
I wear hose one day a year for a couple of hours, and that is because I am forced to. I never wear them of my own accord. However, the older ladies at my school made the rule (some time ago) that hose were a must at graduation, and therefore, every year, the female teachers are subjected to hose (under graduation garb! :fan:). Any other time, my legs are bare, and I often wear skirts.

mjaclyn
04-16-2009, 04:59 PM
I usually only wear panty hose if I have to - meaning it has to be below 60 degrees outside. If it's nice weather during fall or spring and definitely during the summer I skip it altogether. It's true though, that your feet stick inside your shoes without them if it's warm out, so I usually opt for sandals during the summer. Sometimes the feet sticking can be a good thing if I have really high heels on though!

PirateLover
04-16-2009, 05:06 PM
I didn't answer because sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't. I do think it's more professional to wear pantyhose if you're in a work setting. But when the weather get's hot it's just too much to handle. As far as sweaty feet, since I only go bare-legged in the warmer months, I usually just wear wedged heels or sandals or some type of shoe meant to be worn without socks. And for reference, I'm 23. I may be more inclined to wear pantyhose than some people my age since I went to Catholic schools for 12 years when It was part of the uniform.

dmosher
04-16-2009, 05:32 PM
Hey! I wear a kilt, does that count? No hose though, thats not my thing.
:PIPES:
D

Magic Smiles
04-16-2009, 05:39 PM
In the winter definitely. Once we hit warm weather they're gone.

As for sticky feet, I'm always sliding my shoes off. If I could go barefoot all the time I'd be really happy.

DITTO for me. I usually wear sandals or flip flops in warm months.

AvonleaCF
04-16-2009, 05:52 PM
I work in a casual office, so in the winter I'll wear jeans under my dresses (and on the weekend, too). :) If not jeans, then thick leggings and boots (with regular socks).

No pantyhose! Too tight and itchy and a pain to pull up.

In the summer I wear sandals with my skirts/dresses.

The only time I will wear hose, and the only reason I own a pair, is for a formal occasion when it's too cold to wear sandals.

IamBelle
04-16-2009, 07:51 PM
I usually don't wear dresses or skirts, but when I do, I skip the hose, no matter the weather. I just don't like it. The shoes I wear with it are usally wedge sandal things, so my feet don't really stick that much.

LauraleeH
04-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Lately I've been living in dresses...love them! But they're cute and casual so no hose for me. I wear flip-flops so no problems with my feet. If I'm going to church and wear a super nice dress, I wear tights and heels.

Love of Disney
04-16-2009, 09:19 PM
I hate panty hose personally!! In the stocking aisle at the store, there are a wide variety of panty hose socks, etc....that will fit in a wide variety of shoes and sandals.
:cool:

magicofdisney
04-16-2009, 09:21 PM
I agree with a pp who said it's a generational thing. I've haven't worn hose since I was a teenager. It did feel a little awkward at first, but I can't imagine having or needing to do it now. Of course, I live in FL so that adds to the discomfort level.

Now the thing that gets me is those women (or teens) who think a slip is unnecessary. I'll never understand that one.

Kennywife
04-17-2009, 11:06 AM
I haven't worn hose since my wedding day. I hate them and they make it itch. I like to wear a longer skirt and sandals. At my sil's wedding, I wore bronzer on my legs. It looked nice. She didn't wear hose either. :funny:

My mom always wears hose, but I just can't stand them.

Anna

Stitchahula
04-17-2009, 02:37 PM
If I'm wearing sandles or flip flops than no hose. If it's someplace dressy than defiantely hose with extra support for the tummy. So those lumps and bumps don't show.

mrsgaribaldi
04-17-2009, 11:46 PM
I wear a uniform to work so no issue there. If I'm going to a fancy event then hose. If it's more casual and summer (hot) then I might skip them. :mickey:

Georgesgirl1
04-18-2009, 06:36 PM
I really think it's a generational thing.

I totally agree. I hate hose and hardly ever wear them. I didn't even wear them to my own wedding! The last time I wore hose was to a job interview since I was wearing a knee length skirt and suit jacket.

I rarely wear anything but sandals with dresses anyway (even in the winter)! In the summer, I slip my shoes off as often as I can.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-19-2009, 12:06 AM
The only time I wear them anymore is if it's a dressy ocassion, such as a wedding or formal Christmas party. I wear skirts or dresses all summer and no hose, with sandals. And I don't know about generational since I'm not that young anymore....

conorsmom2000
04-19-2009, 11:20 AM
I probably haven't worn panty hose in over 8 years - and only occassionaly before that. When I was younger, I did wear them, as my Mom made me - and when I first started working, I worked in a Bank, so I did wear them then. But, I can not stand them - they do itch, are uncomfortable, etc. So, for the past 15 years, it's definitely been rare for me - and now, not at all. In the winter, if I do wear a skirt, I'd either wear knee high boots or tights. In the spring and summer, no stockings at all. I normally wear some kind of sandal durning the nicer weather, so sticky feet aren't an issue. If it is an occassion that absolutely feels like it should call for panty hose (like a job interview), I would wear pants in lieu of a skirt. I just can't do the hose anymore - it feels like torture! :blush:

beksy
04-19-2009, 08:37 PM
If I can avoid it, I don't wear dresses or skirts. When I do I usually opt for longer ones that I can wear knee-highs with. In the summer I have a couple of causual dresses I occassionaly wear but that's with sandals. If it is a shorter skirt I will wear hose but am silently protesting the entire time! I guess once I graduate from law school I might have to adjust my wardrobe somewhat.

Marilyn Michetti
04-20-2009, 11:44 AM
I'm the older lady, (65), and would wear dresses with PH everywhere, but after two knee replacements, a rt. ankle reconstruction, with deformitys, rods in my back, and a torn hip, I just can't. Now, it's pants, with trouser socks, and special orthopedic shoes. Sigh........

I miss pretty shoes, and pretty shoes call for good old fashion hose. :(

Mickey91
04-25-2009, 07:15 PM
I do wear panty hose with my dresses. Maybe if I get rid of my extra 45 pounds I will be able to rid myself of the hose. But for now I need the tummy control and added leg support. (sigh):blush: Plus, hose just make you look more polished.

pixiesmimi
04-25-2009, 10:48 PM
I didn't vote because there wasn't a choice of "both". :blush: I do wear hose sometimes to church and dressy occasions if the occasion warrants them or if it is cold. Most of the time, I don't wear them any more, even in winter. I also mostly wear them for tummy control but now that I've discovered Spanx, don't have to wear the hose as much. I was raised to wear them all the time, even with pants so it is just in the last couple of years that I've stopped wearing them much. I can't remember the last time I bought a pair. My mother, who wears them all the time, tried to buy some at Penney's and they told her they didn't sell them any more because the younger women didn't wear them. Hello? When did you stop selling to all ages? She was very upset. I told her to just go to Wal-Mart or a drug store to get them. But even Wal-Mart has cut their inventory down to almost nothing.

My feet stick also in some shoes. I use baby powder, shoe inserts, or Avon has a stick that you rub on the bottom of your feet to keep them from sweating and sticking to your shoes. Most of my shoes that I actually buy without hose, do slide around more when I put on hose with them and I don't like this so end up wearing them without most of the time. But I wear open toe shoes, sandles,etc. most of the time so don't need the hose. I do wear dresses and skirts, though.