PDA

View Full Version : Any fans of Mission Space?

GoofyMom09
04-15-2009, 06:57 PM
Everything I've read leads me to think I should skip this ride so I won't be sick all day. Are there any fans? Is the non-spinning version any good?

PixieMagic
04-15-2009, 07:16 PM
Not sure how much help I am - but I do get motion sickness and I was afraid of this as well - In fact I avoided it until our last day because once I am sick I am out of the game for the rest of the day....I didn't go on the light one - DH made me go on the normal version ............. I couldn't be happier!! It didn't feel as though I were spinning AT ALL and didn't give me ANY motion sickness (and let's face it, I get sick on star tours:sick:). It's now one of my fav rides although out of fear of sickness I still wouldn't ride it twice in a row (no risk in testing luck). I think maybe because of the type of spinning it does you don't feel as though your are spinning and there is no visual except the screen so it eleviates the vision part of motion sickness as well? Either way - it was fine for me, but everyone is different...:mickey:

murphy1
04-15-2009, 07:28 PM
I think if you have a strong consitution, you should go on this one at least once in your life. I finally rode it last Feb and once is enough for me. You know you are spinning for a few seconds. It messes with your equilibrium for about an hour or so afterwards. I wasn't sick at all, but it was defintely a weird feeling when you blast off. It's like you don't have control for those few seconds, but it's both somethihg I loved and hated at the same time.

DisneyGlutton
04-15-2009, 07:36 PM
The non-spinning version is worth a ride if the line is pretty short, but I wouldn't wait more than 15mins for it. I have a pretty strong stomach and its not any more disorienting than RnRR if that helps; for me, a bit worse than right after jumping off the treadmill.

Nascfan
04-15-2009, 07:36 PM
GoofyMom, why do you think you'll be sick all day? Do you have a high degree of motion sickness? If not, just pay attention to the directions, do what they tell you (look at the screen, don't look to the side or close your eyes or lean forward, etc, etc), and you should be fine.

If you are still in doubt, the non spinning version is a fine ride in and of itself. My wife, who won't do thrill rides of any sense, did the non spinning and was fine, and actually enjoyed it. That being said, if you can do the spinning to get the full effect of lift off and other aspects, it is an awesome experience. My daughter did the non spinning first, then she and I went on the spinning, and she HAD to do it again!

I too can and have felt effects of Star Tours not quite being synced up totally and felt a little "off" afterwards, but never have with Mission Space.

Hope this helps! :mickey:

ThanxForNoticin
04-15-2009, 07:39 PM
It probably depends on you personally. If you easily get motion sickness, perhaps in a boat or car or plane, then I would recommend you skip it. If you normally don't have issues like that, you should have no problems with the 'real' side.

Personally, I like to make sure I have a little something to eat 30-60 minutes before I go on, and I've never had any issues - it is a very unique experience. Go for it!

PetefromRI
04-15-2009, 07:40 PM
I loved this ride but my worry was that at one point it felt like an elephant was standing on my chest.At the time I was a smoker(have quit since)but I'm on high blood pressure meds so I go on the whimpy version now and it works just fine for me.I'd love to go on the original but it's not worth a possible health problem to me for the thrill.My wife on the other hand almost puked and she doesn't get motion sickness.I'd give it a go and do what they say,don't look out the side door.

marylynne95
04-15-2009, 07:58 PM
I too was afraid to go on it and my friend convinced me to try it out this past January. That was my first time going on it and I went on the spinning side. I got off of it and thought it was awesome. I did exactly what they said and I was fine. It was a great experience. I am not one who gets motion sickness though. I was primarily afraid to try it out because of all the things I heard about people getting sick and stuff. I am glad I tried it out. Really depends on what rides you can and can't handle. Also would not be a good ride if you are claustraphobic(spelling ?).

LudwigVonDrake
04-15-2009, 08:01 PM
I've never ridden the non-spinning side. The spinning version is AWESOME :thumbsup:

hubbyofadisneyholic
04-15-2009, 08:27 PM
I always do the spinning side with my daughter.
Once in a while I will get that "half a bubble off" feeling as we exit, but most times it's fine.

Unless you have medical issues it is a "must do at least once" attraction in my book. :thumbsup:

WooHoo...just realized this is my 1000th post.
And it "only" took 7 1/2 yrs...

illini
04-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Love this ride. Haven't tried the non-spinning version, but the "real" one is fantastic.

Excuse me while I don my flame suit...

My kids have all loved it on their first rides-- at 5, 3.5, and 5. No issues with motion sickness at all.

The Abiding Dude
04-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Definately love the spinning version!
My daughter rode this when she was 4 and absolutely loves it also. It's become one of our family favorites.:dizzy:

SBETigg
04-15-2009, 08:39 PM
I get sick on the teacups, so I was hesitant to try it. This was before they had the non-spin version. I ended up trying it and loving it! It was so fun, very exhilarating. I had no ill effects whatsoever, surprisingly. You don't really register the motion as spinning because you don't see that kind of movement around you. I don't think I would enjoy the non-spin version since the best part of the ride is the simulated travel feelings produced by the spinning effect. I would hate to have missed it.

If you try it, probably best to try the tamer version. But if you're brave enough to try the spin version, just be sure to keep your eyes on the screen in front of you and don't go looking side to side while you're on it.

Marilyn Michetti
04-15-2009, 08:55 PM
I love it - my DH had to be wheeled out of Epcot in a WC. ??????????

(You know, part of it is the expectation, due to the extreme warnings).:thumbsup:

kemps@wdw
04-15-2009, 09:40 PM
While riding the original version, I understood why they have barf bags on board. :ack: If it hadn't been for the cool air blowing directly in my face, I would have used the bags for sure! I must say, I wasn't 100% for the rest of the day. :sick: However, when I tried the tamer version, I loved it! :thumbsup: It was much more enjoyable...for me anyway. DD and DH still like the amped-up side!

Villains0501
04-15-2009, 09:40 PM
I personally love the ride! I don't get sick off of it, but my Dad sometimes does.

MickeyandTink
04-15-2009, 09:45 PM
I always do the spinning side with my daughter.
Once in a while I will get that "half a bubble off" feeling as we exit, but most times it's fine.

Unless you have medical issues it is a "must do at least once" attraction in my book. :thumbsup:

WooHoo...just realized this is my 1000th post.
And it "only" took 7 1/2 yrs...

:congrats: on your 100th post!

When we took a then 6YO DD two years ago, we only did the non-spinning version because of concerns expressed on this listserve and elsewhere about the spinning version. Personally, I did not like the ride at all.

Last year, DD and I did the spinning version and we both loved it. :thumbsup:
I didn't find the spinning version to cause any problems with dizziness, motion sickness, etc.

I will definitely do MS again, but only the spinning version. For me, anyway, the non-spinning version is a waste.

cinderellagrl
04-15-2009, 09:57 PM
LOVE MISSION SPACE.... even though I frequently experience car sickness, I MUST RIDE MS! As a previous poster mentioned, do eat a little before you ride, and if you are still unsure, wait till the end of the day to ride (the lines should be shorter then anyway).. Enjoy and do not let the warnings scare you!

Disneypixie513
04-15-2009, 10:00 PM
I think if you don't have a big problem with motion sickness, you should be fine. I was very aprehensive to try MS, but in Dec. I finally worked up the nerve. I tried the non-spinning side first and was very bummed. Very tame, and not at all worth riding (IMO). Since the line was insanely short, I rode on the spinning side. I loved it! The take-off felt so real. I felt a little 'odd' for about 5-10 min. after I rode it, but nothing that would have kept me from enjoying anything.

GrmGrninGost
04-15-2009, 10:53 PM
I am a fan of Mission Space! I suffer from moderate motion sickness, but under the right conditions I can ride it with no problems! I have to ride a couple hours after I have eaten and I have to be feeling pretty good to start with. Make sure to keep your eyes open and looking straight ahead at the screen. It is an awesome ride! I highly recommend trying it once!

KevMcNJ
04-15-2009, 11:06 PM
I rode it once this past Feb

I see no need to wait in line to ride it again

Its no big deal

Rockin Roller Coaster is more severe IMHO

trudisneygal
04-15-2009, 11:11 PM
So the first year DH and I went, I was too afraid to ride it, and insisted that DH didn't ride it either. I was afraid we would get sick, and not enjoy the rest of our trip, so we didn't. Then the next year, we went with some of my family, and they told me that we should ride it. So, I finally decided to give it a try...and I LOVED IT!!! Actually we both loved it!! Now it is a MUST DO for me every trip! I really think that, as long as you are in good health, you should give it a try. You really will never know until you try! Have fun!

tinkerddeedee
04-16-2009, 04:55 AM
why all of the health warnings????? i'm a little nervous! :ack: :sick: :(

dmosher
04-16-2009, 05:14 AM
Ok I have done both and while, yes there is a difference between the red and blue (?) lines, the stronger one isn't that bad. Personally, I do not like roller coasters that much but I enjoyed it. The easier one is still fun and more like the usual motion simulation rides, nothing hard at all, but still fun.
:pipes:
D

BMan62
04-16-2009, 08:49 AM
why all of the health warnings????? i'm a little nervous! :ack: :sick: :(

The spinning version puts you under 1.7 - 2.5 times the force of gravity (G's) This can cause problems for those with high blood pressure (adding additional external pressure,) DVT, blood clots, heart defects, spinal deformities, etc.

Disney is trying to absolve themselves from any legal action by warning you that you are taking these 'possible' risks knowingly.

To the original question: I have no problem with the spinning version as far as motion sickness, but both versions (as well as most of the 'IMAX-type' movies - Ellen's Energy Adventure, Soarin', Oh! Canada, etc - can cause me a bit of vertigo. MS with the launch tower, Ellen/Soarin'/Oh! Canada/etc. with the off plane camera motion - big sweeping turns on an angle toward 'ground' level. I think those are more due to my fear of heights though. LOL

dancin Disney style
04-16-2009, 09:39 AM
I've been on both versions and loved it. When I rode the spinnig one I did feel queezie after and had to sit for about 15 minutes but it was still awesome. I love all simulator rides and have never felt sick. The next time my youngest daughter wanted to ride but only on the lite version, which I was game for. We loved that one just as much.

Start on the lite version and see how you feel.

#1donaldfan
04-16-2009, 09:44 AM
...it's one of my favorites, the original version that is.....actually, our last visit, on probably our 4th ride of MS, I rode the newer version with the chickens in our group....it was ok, but definately not as realistic as the original... either way you go, you'll have fun....:thumbsup:

brownie
04-16-2009, 09:48 AM
I haven't tried this yet. Maybe on our next trip.

TikiLounger
04-16-2009, 09:59 AM
Okay...My son and I both love the intense version of Mission Space. We ride and then get right back in line. So fun! Strangely, we both agree that we actually feel better after the ride is over. This is probably from the sheer happiness we feel after riding one our favorites. :coaster:
That being said, my daughter will ride once with us and she likes it, but, she won't go on again. Then...there's my husband. He won't go anywhere near Mission Space. He got really sick after the first try and the memory of that day keeps him away.

big blue and hairy
04-16-2009, 11:07 AM
I get sick on the teacups, so I was hesitant to try it. So do I, but I followed the directions and had no problem at all on the spinning version of MS. I've ridden it a few times and never had a problem.

:sulley:

davark
04-16-2009, 11:31 AM
I really love this attraction. That moment when orbit is achieved is awesome. On quiet days we have done it twice in a row.:thumbsup:

rubato
04-16-2009, 11:37 AM
I can't ride spinning rides. But, I've ridden MS twice. Both times I had to go sit in the cool grass for awhile! :sick: But, I will continue to ride the full version because I love it. Now, my hubby has a much harder time because of his claustrophobia. He gets in and freaks out as soon as the dashboard closes in on him. But, he keeps riding it! The things we do for fun!

Ryan Towle
04-16-2009, 12:48 PM
In the words of Gary Sinise, "Try not to die".

Tinkerbell19
04-16-2009, 01:51 PM
I LOVE this ride :thumbsup:!! The funny this is, is that I get sea sick (only if the boat is stopped and the water is choppy. More of the slow up and down motion :sick:) but I can go on any rollercoaster and not feel a thing:woohoo:. So weird! I don't know why this is. My family use to tease me and say that I get sea sick on the boat fishing but can go on mission space or any rollercoaster and be fine. Guess I have a weird stomach!

Lisaj13
04-16-2009, 02:12 PM
I went on this for the first time in 2006 with my two daughters, then 10 and 14. Not knowing how any of us would react, we went on the non-spinning version. After we finished, my youngest said, "Is that it?" So we went on the spinning version and we all loved it. We didn't have any ill effects afterwards, and during the ride the illusion of weightlessness is great.

Enjoy your trip.

JavaDuck
04-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Mission Space was in my top 5 attractions to do before our trip last August. I loved the ride, my other half not so much. I loved it so much I immediately rode it a second time. I will admit after my second time, I felt a little queasy for a few minutes.

I'm looking forward to riding it again this August.

TeamJonasSister
04-17-2009, 02:47 PM
I LOVE MISSION SPACE! We went with a group last year to WDW and no one wanted to ride it but me. That did not stop me. I rode it all by myself. It is really fun. If your motion sickness you might want to go on the mild verzion. I love thrill rides, so if your like me, I would say you have to try it at lest once.

stitcherbelle
04-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Mission Space is awesome! Mission Space always gets me a bit queasy when the non-spinning is so great! The spinning gives you motion sickness and the force like your actually going inot space and the picture and the jobs. The non-spinning doesn't give you the force like your going into outer space but it gives you everything else. I like the spinning version better but the non-spinning is great if your one of those people who get motion sickness easily and also you just have to try it! Hope this helps! Have a great trip!:cool::mickey::)

pokci
04-18-2009, 07:34 PM
Someone mentioned anticipation as a factor and I agree. Having said that, I took a Bonine, non-drowsy Dramamine, the day we decided to go. I went on the non-spin side and felt queasy afterwards for the rest of the evening. It was good, but it would be great for me if they just had one that blew air in your face and had you sit a bit back. I closed my eyes anytime I felt like I was spinning. I would love to do it again but know that I won't.

LVT
04-20-2009, 08:46 PM
MS spin is set up to make you feel high G force as
in straight UP acceleration. It is not like the
tea cups or spinning in circles. Do follow the
directions tho or it will have that effect. I always
laugh a lot on this ride.

Mousemates
04-20-2009, 09:21 PM
Its a great ride, but as others have said, be sure to follow the directions and keep your eyes focused on the screen....this keeps what you see in sync with what you feel...which prevents :sick: and :ack:

JenniferS.
04-20-2009, 09:25 PM
I've never tried it as i'm not sure how I will do on it.

lwhite2588
04-22-2009, 03:53 PM
:mickey: I am a Nana of eight and I love it, so go for it. It is great!!!!!!!!

MarknTara
04-27-2009, 04:16 PM
Haha, glad to hear some positive responses! I'm a little nervous about trying it because I'm pretty new to the thrill ride scene, but it's something I really would like to try! :mickey:

vetman
04-28-2009, 10:21 PM
I always ride the spin version of MS. My kids and I are pushing the buttons like crazy before the launch. Once the G's push me back into the seat I can't keep going crazy like the kids. I just focus on my breathing and the view screen.

There is NO spinning feel, I still don't know which direction the ride spins. After the ride I always need to go sit down in the Mission Control area for about 5-10 minutes. Then starting to walk and get moving again and I am ok.

I started on this ride before the no-spin existed and I can't bring myself to waste the time on the no-spin. The rush of the launch is worth the temporary weird feeling afterward.

I do not like heights and will not ride Splash Mountain. I occasionally ride Space Mountain (too bumpy) or once Expedition Everest (dislike backwards).

I love ST, RRC and BTMR, but will not go on most roller coasters.

Hope this helps anyone scared to ride. First post here.

Toughbug
04-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Vetman, congrats on the first post. :party:

We love MS. In fact we do it a couple times in a row if possible. Except for my DW who has troubles with inner ear sometimes. But come November we maybe can talk her into the non-spinning side.

:mickey:

MaxPower
04-29-2009, 07:00 PM
Since many people do not like spinning rides, they automatically avoid Mission Space.

But I want to state for the record for those who have never ridden, if you were not told beforehand that it spins, you would never know.

You are in a completely enclosed ride vehicle, surrounded on all sides, top and bottom. You cannot "see" the spinning by looking to your side or up or down. There are no windows.

The vehicles spin in a circle like a centrifuge to create a G-Force on the people in the vehicles. You don't experience the sensation of spinning, you experience the feeling of being pushed back into your seat.

For legal reasons, Disney states up front that the vehicles spin, but unfortunately, it prevents many from riding.

Like most thrill rides at WDW (TOT, SPLASH, etc)- the ride itself turns out much tamer than the fear many create by observing it and researching it beforehand.

tjstrike
04-30-2009, 04:36 AM
I love the "full" version. Half of us ride the orange, the other half ride the green. Personally, the tea cups hit me harder than this ride.

Daddy Mouse
04-30-2009, 09:33 AM
I love this ride, my problem is claustrophobia. I have to psych myself out to get on. DW has a problem of motion sickness on some rides like this. She is going to try ginger root and see how it works for her. We’ll try it out on a ride like AO first and see how she does. Last time she was a mess for over an hour before we could go on with our day.

jarajam
04-30-2009, 11:17 AM
The first time I rode the "regular" version I enjoyed it,but the take off was very intense...right up to the point of too much for me,but not quite.The second time I rode it (shortly there after,the same day) I did not enjoy it at all. When we went a couple of weeks ago I rode the mild version and really enjoyed it.Still fun but not too intense.

i'm grumpy
04-30-2009, 10:48 PM
I don't like the pressure that it puts on you. I have heard if you look straight ahead and keep your eyes open, it's not so nauseating. :sick: