PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take to get to the ocean from Disney??

tinkerddeedee
04-14-2009, 06:07 PM
I know that the world is what we're going down to see, but we're just thinking of maybe possible taking a day to go to the beach.
Was wondering how long it takes, if it's worth a day away from the mouse? :mickey:

Ed
04-14-2009, 06:49 PM
East to the Atlantic Ocean (Cocoa Beach area) - roughly 70 miles; 60 to 90 minutes.

West to the Gulf of Mexico (Clearwater Beach area) - 90 miles, 2 hours or less.

Personal preference? Clearwater Beach.

:waycool: :sun: :swim:

GAN
04-14-2009, 06:50 PM
It's about an hour to Cocoa Beach, which is the closest(and home to Ron Jon's Surf Shop).

tinkerddeedee
04-14-2009, 11:06 PM
East to the Atlantic Ocean (Cocoa Beach area) - roughly 70 miles; 60 to 90 minutes.

West to the Gulf of Mexico (Clearwater Beach area) - 90 miles, 2 hours or less.

Personal preference? Clearwater Beach.

:waycool: :sun: :swim:

why do you like clearwater better?

GAN
04-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Tinker... There was a discussion a few days ago about what beaches were the best to visit. Not that I want to speak for Tigg here, but Clearwater offers beautiful, white sand beaches -the water is generally calm since it is on the Gulf. Cocoa Beach is a typical surfers beach town -the surrounding area is so-so, the beach waters can be rough at times but is a great example of an ocean beach(if that's what you're looking for). Also, the world famous Ron Jon's surf shop is located here, which based on your kids ages -they would think is pretty cool.
Personally, I would send you about 30min north to New Smyrna Beach. It's an ocean beach but the surf generally is much smoother, and a lot of people love to surf there. You can drive and park right on the beach(similar to Daytona, but without the atmosphere). It's a nice, pretty quiet beach town. I have 15/11yo girls -Clearwater would be a little too "slow" for them, but they have grown up around the ocean.

MOJoe
04-15-2009, 10:42 AM
We have done this, although it was years ago.

I also enjoy Clearwater, however, getting there is not easy. The traffic can be quite slow, bumper to bumper - stop and go, especially on a weekend.
Coco Beach is fine for a beach day, and less trouble to get to. Ron Jon's is great for shopping too.

tinkerddeedee
04-15-2009, 06:22 PM
Thanks Guys!!!!
I can't believe this, but I've been to New Smyrna beach about 20 years ago (I live in NY). My aunt and uncle live in Debury, we went with them!!!!
You guys rock!!!!