PDA

View Full Version : Soarin and motion sickness

TheVBs
04-14-2009, 09:28 AM
Has anyone had problems with motion sickness on Soarin? I thought I remembered hearing it was one to avoid if you get motion sickness, but when I read the description it doesn't sound like it would be a problem. Any input would be appreciated! :mickey:

laprana
04-14-2009, 09:33 AM
My mom gets motion sick on just about any ride, but Soarin is one that she can ride with no problems! There are a few parts where she starts to feel a little woosy, but she just closes her eyes for a few seconds until the feeling passes and then she's OK. The good thing about Soarin is that since it's a movie, you can shut your eyes if you start to feel motion sick. I think the movement of the seats themselves is really gentle and not really enough to cause motion sickness. Hope this helps! :mickey:

TheVBs
04-14-2009, 09:34 AM
Thank you, it does! :mickey:

FenwayGirl
04-14-2009, 09:50 AM
I get very motion sick on some rides (Star Wars for one) so I was very aprenhesive about trying Soarin. I had no problems at all with motion sickness:blush:

MickeyMousse
04-14-2009, 09:55 AM
My father in law has motion sickness and when we went on Soarin, when it started to bother him, he just looked off to the side of the screen, where he could see the edge with no movie. It helped him immensely and it didn't stop him from going on a second time!

TheVBs
04-14-2009, 09:56 AM
Thanks guys! I got so :ack: on Star Wars. :( I've heard you actually have a breeze blowing in your face for Soarin, is that true?

sassafras
04-14-2009, 10:05 AM
Not sure about a breeze, but definitely know you can smell the fir trees and orange groves when you go over them! That just part of what makes it a favorite of mine!

laprana
04-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Yes, there is a breeze blowing, but it is also very gentle. No huge wind gusts or anything! Just enough to make you feel like you're "soaring!" :D

motherof4
04-14-2009, 11:45 AM
when I went on soarin for the first time I got a little dizzy over the mountains but I closed my eyes and when I opened them it passed I love soarin and I can not wait to go on it again.

wire0monkey
04-14-2009, 11:50 AM
I get motion sickness from reading in the car and riding Star Tours.

Soarin' does not give give me motion sickness.

jrkcr
04-14-2009, 12:02 PM
I get queasy from the tea cups, the carousel, and most roller coasters...so I've never done the star tours. And will never, ever do Mission Space again :sick:. (had to spend hours at the hotel, laying down) I always drive in the car, cause I get sick from riding with other people.

But, I love Soarin!! I ride it over and over. The seats occasionally tilt a little, but no big movement. And I sometimes have to close my eyes for a second to get my balance back, but not every time.

pixiesmimi
04-14-2009, 12:13 PM
I don't ride roller coasters because I get motion sickness easily. But I road Soarin' twice with no problems. I did get a little dizzy the first time but closed my eyes and looked away and was fine.

AmandaChan
04-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Accctually, just about everything makes me :ack: (especially mission space and star tours) but I really did not think that Soarin' was that bad. The best seat is in the very front row so you don't see feet hanging down however if you get sick really easily you may want to sit in the second or third row so it kind of grounds your viewing a little bit and doesn't make you as nauseous.

AmandaChan
04-14-2009, 12:22 PM
I get motion sickness from reading in the car and riding Star Tours.

Soarin' does not give give me motion sickness.

Me too! The husband gets mad at me because I almost refuse to read directions or put a CD in the stereo.

homeschool mom
04-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Our youngest DD 14 gets motion sickness, but loves Soarin'. However, when we rode Soarin' for the first time, we found out that DS 10 has a fear of hights! Now if he rides, he has to keep his eyes closed the whole time. :(

3 days and counting to my anniv. trip with DH! :cloud9:

DisneyMiMi
04-14-2009, 01:26 PM
I get motion sickness very easily but was determined to ride Soarin' with my granddaughter - who is 5 years old. I just could not do it - from the first scene flying through the clouds my eyes were shut. But my granddaughter absolutely loved it - could not stop talking about the orange scent and the pine trees. I can say I tried but it was not for me as much as I wanted to do it. Everyone said it is wonderful and not to be missed. I'm so sorry I couldn't handle it. I hope you can.

forever a child
04-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Thanks OP for posting this. I have a fear of heights and get motion sick too, but I think I can handle it. I REALLY want to try Mission Space but I am worried I'll be sick for the rest of the day:sick::sad:

FriendsofMickey
04-14-2009, 02:45 PM
I too get motion sick very easily, but I never let it stop me from riding a ride at least once... I guess I am a glutten for punnishment.

I have been on Soarin a number of times (it is one of my favorite rides). There is one spot that gets me a little :sick: each time. It is where it is dark and you see the city with all the cars driving with their headlights. I just close my eyes.

I think you should definately take your chances.

LoriSan
04-14-2009, 02:59 PM
I get a little :sick: on Soarin too. I found that it helps me to look into the "distance" of the movie. It certainly doesn't keep me off it.

TheVBs
04-14-2009, 04:44 PM
Awesome tips! Thanks everyone. :) Since my DD4 is afraid of heights, I know that I or DH will have to sit this one out, unless we get two chances to go on it. I do have a problem with motion sickness too, but I'd be willing to try it. I once got really :sick: on Star Tours. It was awful! :(

I was thinking my DD8 who gets motion sick might enjoy this if it's not too bad. Being able to give her some of these tips for the ride is great! I'll just let her know that it might make her queasy and let her decide. :)

EJS-Houston
04-14-2009, 04:48 PM
Not at all. Now Mission Space, absolutely!

amd780
04-14-2009, 06:54 PM
I get terrible motion sickness, and I've never had a problem on Soarin'. :mickey:

crltkcagle
04-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Just close your eyes if you get sick. Then the ride won't be so bad, its all visual effects anyway.

TheVBs
04-15-2009, 05:42 PM
You guys have me wanting to try it now! :mickey: I'll let DH and DD8 try it and hope that DD8 has no problems. Then maybe I'll try it on my own or see if she wants to go again.

cmsizzlin
04-15-2009, 06:43 PM
I have a definite fear of heights and can tend to get motion sickness at times. I was actually goated onto Soarin by my brother because he wanted his kids to ride it and since I am the cool auntie I can't be afraid of anything. The first time I rode Soarin I was petrified and kept my eyes closed through most of it mainly because of the fear of heights - got a little dizzy but kept closing my eyes. I rode it a 2nd time and was pretty good thru the whole ride only closing my eyes one time I think through the mountains or canyon. But I did it and when we go back in Aug I will definitely ride it again

Villains0501
04-15-2009, 09:39 PM
I haven't had motion sickness on Soarin' but my mom has. Sometimes if you just close your eyes, you won't get sick!

twinboyz
04-16-2009, 12:44 PM
I am really afraid of heights, but really want to try this ride. If you sit in the back row, are you less 'off the ground'? I'm going with my loved one who REALLY wants to try this ride, but I'm a scardy cat. I'd love to do this for her, since she won't go on anything without me. ANy input you have would be GREAT!:thumbsup:

marlaine
04-16-2009, 02:31 PM
I too have pretty bad motion sickness. I always have to drive in a car. Soarin' made me extremely sick. I was absolutely miserable! I can go on every ride in all four parks except for 2. The teacups and Soarin '. When we go this Sept., my DH can take my DS on both of them. :sick: