PDA

View Full Version : The theming in the POTC queue

Ryan Towle
04-13-2009, 04:51 PM
I was going to post this in the "interesting details" thread but I thought it didn't really fit the title. Ok, so DL might have a better/longer Pirates ride BUT the queue of the WDW one is far more awesome (just my opinion). It's a seemless transition as you enter the plaza and begin your long walk down through the fortress. Looking through the bars at the skeletons playing chess down inside the dungeon. By the time you've arrived at the loading area, it really feels as if you've traveled deep underground and have emerged at this large outdoor cove, and the attention to detail and themeing doesn't stop there. Sounds of pirates shoveling is heard from a nearby hole in a cave. Right before you board, to your right you can see "moonlight bay", in which it really looks like your looking out at the pirate ship from a great distance. I absolutely love the themeing and I think it works far better than the DL one. I look foward to it every time I go and I often find myself taking my time going through the queue and taking it all in. It almost makes up for the abridged-ness of the ride. Does anyone else feel the same?
http://i43.tinypic.com/10erl9h.png

DreamFinder2
04-13-2009, 05:45 PM
I agree completely. I love POTC...my DW isn't quite as fond, but I always drag her on at least a few times.

Great diagram/pic, too...are there others out there for other attractions?

BluewaterBrad
04-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Cool Diagram!!:mickey:

Imagineer1981
04-13-2009, 05:51 PM
Absolutely. This is why Disney is the best at what it does. POTC, EE, ToT, HM. They all seem to transport you into that world before you even get on the actual ride itself.

mickeys_princess_mom
04-13-2009, 09:25 PM
I love it, too! It doesn't take much for me to "go pirate" :blush:, and I'm in heaven the minute I step through the entry. This queue is one of the best in my opinion--totally immerses you in the adventure! :pirate:

Mousemates
04-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Absolutely. This is why Disney is the best at what it does. POTC, EE, ToT, HM. They all seem to transport you into that world before you even get on the actual ride itself.

:ditto:

brownie
04-13-2009, 11:01 PM
Yes, I do enjoy the queue for Pirates of the Caribbean at Disney World. I like the skeletons playing chess.

dmosher
04-14-2009, 04:23 AM
I honestly don't recall seeing the whole "moonlight bay" thing. Either I never paid attention or it just was there and I took it for granted. Either way i will be checking it out more this year.
:pipes:
D

beksy
04-14-2009, 01:10 PM
This is one of my favorites! I love the skeletons playing chess.

Master Gracey
04-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Even the dank and musty smell adds to the queue. I just love it.

ShanPooh
04-14-2009, 04:31 PM
the flickery lights, cannons w/ stacked up cannon balls, and the dungeon/fort walls :thumbsup: So cool how it brings you into the whole sense of the ride even before you get on! Wonderfully themed!

Great map of the queue btw!

badkitty
04-15-2009, 06:35 PM
The WDW queue is a great queue but DL's POTC doesn't have the luxury of space as WDW has.

I think floating past the Blue Bayou and meeting the pirate skull at the top of water fall can't be topped!
"...better sit close together, that be the best way to repel boarders..."

Villains0501
04-15-2009, 09:42 PM
I agree completely. I think POTC and HM have the BEST queues!!!!

LarryBoy
04-16-2009, 09:06 AM
Does anybody else find themselves holding up the line so they can get pictures? We always get a picture of my son by the cannon, and there's no telling how many pictures I have of the skeletons playing chess.

TikiLounger
04-16-2009, 09:43 AM

Oh, absolutely! I'd love to spend my vacation, just once, studying the queue line details of these four rides. Wonderful!

cgriff
04-16-2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks for posting this topic, Ryan. We already have an ongoing discussion of the worst queues at WDW, so why not have some talk about one of the best ride queues at WDW! (much more enjoyable).

Yes, the POTC queue is a great set-up for the ride, and I agree that it is more evocative than is the DL POTC queue (although I love those flickering fireflies in DL!).

On my most recent WDW trip in 2007 I had only my first chance to enjoy the Load 2 side of the POTC queue. This was a really cool change of pace from my previous experiences! It lacks the skeletons playing chess/dungeon set-piece, but the corridors seem much narrower, and the ceilings lower... Kinda creepy! Also, the view of the moonlit bay and distant ship from this "side" of the water channel seems even more realistic (less apt to notice any fabrication).

:pirate:
"Ye best be believin' in ghost stories, Miss Turner... cuz you're in one!"