PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Fame Broadcaster Harry Kalas Dead

Ian
04-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Kalas passes out, taken to hospital

Philadelphia Daily News

WASHINGTON - Legendary Phillies broadcaster Harry Kalas has been taken by ambulance to a Washington area hospital after he was found passed out in the press box at Nationals Park.

Team president David Montgomery said Kalas, 73, was found at about 12:30 p.m. by Rob Brooks, the Phillies' director of broadcasting. Emergency medical personnel were called and took Kalas to George Washington University Hospital.

Team president David Montgomery characterized the situation as "serious," but did not have any further information.

The Phillies' announcers were brought to the team's clubhouse at about 1 p.m., and they and the players were told about Kalas.

He missed most of spring training after undergoing surgery in early February. The team declined to provide specifics of the surgery at that time, saying only that it was a "minor medical procedure" and that there was no reason for concern. It is unknown if that is related to the current situation.

Kalas has broadcast Phillies games since 1971. He was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2002 as the recipient of the Ford C. Frick Award. He is entering the final season of a 3-year contract that he signed in December 2006.

PirateLover
04-13-2009, 02:00 PM
He's dead. I am hysterical. :crying::cry:

PirateLover
04-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Harry Kalas dies

Philadelphia Daily News

Daily News Staff Report

WASHINGTON - Legendary Phillies broadcaster Harry Kalas has died. He was 73.

"We lost our voice today," team president David Montgomery said. "He knows the game and made a tremendous contribution to the sport and to our organization . . .

"Anybody who has played for us, it's an immediate point of connection with the club. He is the Phillies."

The Phillies were told the news at 1:20 p.m.

Montgomery described the team as "stunned."

Kalas collapsed in the press box and was was found at about 12:30 p.m. by Rob Brooks, the Phillies' director of broadcasting. Emergency medical personnel were called and took Kalas to George Washington Medical Center.

"He himself [Brooks], as I understand it, worked with him and immediately got emergency medical there," Montgomery said earlier.

The Phillies have contacted the White House and said they are not going to visit with the president tomorrow.

As of now, today's game will be played as scheduled.

Kalas missed most of spring training after undergoing surgery in early February. The team declined to provide specifics of the surgery at that time, saying only that it was a "minor medical procedure" and that there was no reason for concern. It is unknown if that is related to the current situation.

Kalas had broadcast Phillies games since 1971. He was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2002 as the recipient of the Ford C. Frick Award.

JPL
04-13-2009, 02:08 PM
Very Sad News :(

gerald72
04-13-2009, 02:46 PM
RIP Harry Kalas

Hammer
04-13-2009, 02:52 PM
I just don't know what to say or do...

Ian
04-13-2009, 02:54 PM
This is just unfathomable. I can't tell you how much I'm going to miss him ... which sounds absurd, because I've never met the man but it's true. I'll miss him terribly. I felt the same way when Gene Hart passed away.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family. If I'm going to miss him this much, I can't imagine how much he'll be missed by his loved ones.

This just makes the Phillies championship from last season all the more meaningful ...

BMan62
04-13-2009, 02:58 PM
Years of listening to Harry and Whitey on the radio and TV, now history.

Thoughts and prayers go out to the family of Harry and all the Phillies Phaithful in this time of sadness.

You will be sorely missed!!

PirateLover
04-13-2009, 03:10 PM
I finally got myself composed until the game broadcast started... Sarge wiped away a tear and I started getting choked up.. then when they showed the players and Chase Utley seemed to heave a heavy sigh I thought wow we'll never hear another great call like "Chase Utley, you are the MAN!" again. I started thinking about how no more will his dulcet tones be the narrative to our lazy summer days and the tears came back. Ian so many of us feel the same as you... all of us Phils fans...we truly lost a member of our family today.

barnaby
04-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Although I am not a Phillies fan, I will miss the sound of Harry K.
Growing up, I couldn't get many Red Sox games on the radio or TV so I used to listen or watch the Phils on summer nights.
I was a big Richie Ashburn fan, and used to love the chemistry between Harry and him.

Harry will be missed for sure.

Ian
04-13-2009, 03:51 PM
How fitting, I think, that Harry should pass in the place he loved the most ... the announcer's booth.

The only way it could have been more appropriate was if he was at Citizen's Bank Park and surrounded with friends and loved ones.

I'm still just stunned. Stunned that I'll never hear another, "THAT BALL IS .............. OUTTA HERE!!! HOME RUN RYAN HOWARD!!!" Stunned that I'll never lie in bed on a warm summer night in July, with the window open, an evening breeze blowing the curtains, and Harry's soothing voice lulling me to sleep.

Devastating ... just devastating ... :(

ibrowse17
04-13-2009, 03:56 PM
How sad. I enjoyed his work for NFL Films very much. Our thoughts are with his family.

DAKustodial
04-14-2009, 12:46 AM
Hey Guys...

My wife just went to bed after talking to me about Harry Kalas for the past hour. I was OK all day, pretty much. I was a bit choked up when I heard the news, almost lost it when I saw Sarge wipe the tear from his left eye, and had a little bit of trouble talking to my mom tonight after the Phillies pulled the game out, but for the most part I was OK. After reading Jason Stark's article tonight though, I lost it, and I couldn't hold back any longer.

If you didn't grow up in the Philadelphia area, you probably can't get what we are all going through right now. Almost every memory I have in my entire life that happened between April and September has had Harry Kalas in the background. The good times, the bad times, the wins and the losses were all paired with Harry's voice. Phillies baseball and my watching the games will never again be the same.

I am absolutely devastated tonight. I kept apologizing to my wife as I told her story after story about what Harry Kalas has meant to me in my life but she assured me each time that it was OK. She has only been a baseball fan and a Phillies fan for a few years, but she felt the impact too. I was crushed when Whitey died twelve years ago, but his passing was nothing like Harry's. Rest in Peace, Harry the K.

Ian
04-14-2009, 08:29 AM
Honestly, I feel a little foolish, but I spent a good portion of my drive in today fighting back tears. All of the radio stations in the city were (obviously) doing tributes to Harry and just hearing what he meant to so many people, listening to his milestone calls over the years, and thinking about how he truly was "The Voice of Summer" for an entire city for nearly 40 years ... it just got to me.

Somebody else tell me that they're as affected by this as I am. I feel like a family member (one I actually liked!!) has passed away. :(

PirateLover
04-14-2009, 08:30 AM
Question to all my fellow Phightin' Phaithfuls... How in the world do we move on from this??? Some how, I manage to find myself even more sad today. :(

PirateLover
04-14-2009, 08:31 AM
Ian you posted as I was still gathering my thoughts. I had trouble holding back the tears this morning as well. I just feel depressed, through and through.

Ian
04-14-2009, 08:40 AM
I kinda somehow knew you'd be the first one to respond, Maryanne ... I also knew you'd understand ...

I don't know how we move on. I mean growing up for me it was always Harry, Merrill, Gene, and Zink and now Merrill is the last man standing.

Somehow this is really just making me feel very old and very sad ... yesterday was a horrible day because of this. I listened to the game broadcast on the way home and I have to say I really loved the way those guys handled it. The in-game tributes and little nods to Harry were very appropriate, but they still just made me feel even worse.

DAKustodial
04-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Maryanne, I don't know where we're going to go from here either. Watching the game yesterday was completely surreal. The broadcast booth did a fantastic job but they can't talk about Harry every day for the rest of the season...it's just never going to be the same again.

Ian, I don't think you're foolish at all and I have been going through the exact same things. Harry's voice just coincides with memories from not only my life but every baseball fan's in this area. I was listening to his greatest calls this morning and remembering where I was when they happened and who I was with, and many of those people have passed away as well. It's just very, very sad.

Scar
04-14-2009, 10:10 AM
Although I'm not a Philly fan, where I live I have always been able to pick up Philadelphia TV and Radio. The voice of Harry Kalas is one I can remember from my earliest days. Soothing and rhythmic with the perfect touch of coarseness. He was great and will be missed.

But move forward you must. I know I thought Tom McCarthy was great the two years we had him. And doesn't Harry's son also do play-by-play?

BMan62
04-14-2009, 10:47 AM
After DAK posted the info about the Jason Stark article, I had to go read it and listen/watch the related clips.

It was very hard to hold back tears. It hit me almost as hard as when my own father passed 10 years ago.

In 40+ years of rooting for the Phightin's and 4 years of Sunday Season tickets (90 - 93 - 200 Level at the Vet,) some of my fondest memories are of Harry's calls on radio and television.

My wife actually asked me, last night, if the Phils will do anything like the retired numbers for players for him. I assured her that this was a no-brainer, there WILL be a monument to "Harry the K" right along with all the retired numbers!! Hopefully, right beside Richie Ashburn!!

Ian
04-14-2009, 11:00 AM
I actually started a Facebook group encouraging fans to petition the Phils to rename Citizen Bank Way to Kalas Blvd.

I think that's the level of tribute Harry warranted.

PirateLover
04-14-2009, 11:07 AM
I had a free period and decided to cope with my feelings by writing a letter to Harry. It actually gave me a lot of closure.

Dear Harry Kalas,
I knew that you were getting up in years, and that your health had been ailing. I knew that I had to start preparing myself soon for the fact that your role in Phillies broadcasting might start to become less and less over the next few seasons, and that inevitably, one day, you would no longer be “our voice.” However, I did not expect that day to come on April 13, 2009, a little over an hour before an actual game, when you had just called a stellar one the night before.

I was going along on my merry way, and feeling rather good about what I had accomplished on my last day off for Easter break, when I first I first saw the breaking news that you had been rushed to the hospital after passing out in the booth. Maybe it was the good mood I was in, but I didn’t think too much of it. As a matter of fact, I selfishly wanted you to hurry up and get better THAT DAY so that I didn’t have to listen to Wheels and T-Mac drone on for a whole game. Little did I know that I would indeed be listening to them, but it would be due to your passing, not just a minor blip that would land you in the hospital for a few days. Shortly after the original report, an additional sentence was added, a brief quote from David Montgomery that said “I think it’s serious.” All of the sudden I got nervous. I waited with baited breath as I listened to 610 WIP and constantly refreshed Philly.com for news of your health. Then it happened.

Anthony Gargano, with a heavy voice announced that he had bad news. Before he even got the rest of it out, I gasped audibly and burst into tears. I began sobbing uncontrollably. My hands wouldn’t stop shaking. It was if I had just been told that my own grandfather had passed away. Here I was, hysterical over the passing of a man whom I had never had the pleasure to meet, yet somehow felt like family. A man whose voice resonated in the background of my life for 6 months out of every year since my birth in 1985. The man whom my brother imitated as he wore his Mike Schmidt outfit and ran around the bases in our backyard as a child. The man whose call I would hear over and over again as I would push the button on my brother’s plaque commemorating Mike Schmidt’s 500th home run: “"Swing and a long drive! There it is! No. 500! The career 500th home run for Michael Jack Schmidt!” It mesmerized me. You were the soundtrack to car rides in the summer. You were on in the background of the hospital room when I would visit my grandfather during his illness. The voice I fell asleep to while I struggled to stay up and watch the West Coast games. Just the other day, on Easter Sunday, I wasn’t feeling so great and dozed off on the couch watching the game. I was awakened twice by your excited home run calls, one for Chase Utley and one for Matt Stairs. And now I will never be awoken by your live calls again. All of your calls now will have to live on through tape and our own memories.

The thing I will miss about you most is that you really understood how to let the game breathe. I don’t think many modern day broadcasters “get” that. Chris Wheeler especially. Sometimes you just have to be quiet, and let the game and the crowd speak for itself.

I will miss everything from the great one liners like “Chase Utley, you are the man!” to your common phrases “Outta here!” and “Swing and miss, struck eeemmmm’ ouuuttt!” to the simple everyday calls “No runs, hits errors” “Just misses the inside corner” etc. I will miss your frustration occasionally coming through during the myriad of losing seasons and missed opportunities that you had to call throughout the years. Even though we were all miserable, your voice seemed to make it a bit more bearable. I will miss you breaking out in a rousing rendition of “High Hopes” whenever you felt the occasion called for it. I will miss you singing along to “Take Me Out To The Ballgame” and throwing peanuts out to the fans. I will miss my dad bringing his walkman to the games so that he could still hear the broadcast. I will miss coming home from a game and turning the radio on right away to hear how you called it on the days when we didn’t have a headset. I will miss trying to find you in the press box with my binoculars. I will miss hearing your voice on Campbell’s soup commercials, and narrating highlight reels for NFL films. But most of all, I will simply miss you being a part of my life.

The Phillies were the first sports team I ever fell in love with, and in the past few years the game of baseball itself has risen to the top of my list to the point where I’ve begun to eat, sleep, and breathe it. To me, you ARE baseball. I’m just not sure how it will ever be the same without you behind the microphone. I can only thank God that he let us keep you long enough to finally get to hear call a World Series Championship for the Phillies live.
"One strike away, nothing-and-two the count to Hinske. Fans on their feet, rally towels are being waved.... Brad Lidge stretches ... the 0-2 pitch ... swing and a miss! Struck him out! ... The Philadelphia Phillies are 2008 World Champions of baseball! Brad Lidge does it again and stays perfect for the 2008 season, 48-for-48 in save opportunities and let the city celebrate!”

You’re gone now. “Hard to believe, Harry.” I just know you and Whitey are living it up together in that big baseball diamond in the sky. Rest In Peace. We love you.
Sincerely,
Me

PirateLover
04-14-2009, 11:08 AM
I actually started a Facebook group encouraging fans to petition the Phils to rename Citizen Bank Way to Kalas Blvd.

I think that's the level of tribute Harry warranted.

I like that idea. Not sure if it's made it's way to Facebook yet, but there's also a movement to make High Hopes the 7th inning stretch song. I think Harry would love that.

Ian
04-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Jesus, Maryanne ... just when I was feeling a bit better I read your letter and it got me going all over again.

I think what touched me the most about it was that I could have written it myself.

You should send that somewhere ... to the Phils or Harry's loved ones or something ... it's that perfect ...

Hammer
04-14-2009, 12:08 PM
I think I can finally put down my thoughts without uncontrollably sobbing. Managed to get through the day by having the game on in my office with the sound off, as I could not handle hearing a game without Harry just yet. I get into my car to drive home and listen to the end of the game on the radio. I hear Lidge give up the 2 run homer, shortening the lead to 1 run. I said a silent prayer that I know Lidge's streak will end, God, just don't let it be today. Lidge pulled it together and they won, but you could hear how hard the game was for the radio announcers, especially Larry Andersen. As they were signing off, Scott Franzke out of habit started to say "this is Scott Franzke and for Larry Andersen and " when he stopped as he was about to say Harry Kalas, as he would for any other game. His voice broke, not knowing what to say. Larry Andersen finished it, saying "and Harry Kalas" which is when I shed the first tears.

Later last night, I was flipping between the Comcast tribute and the Rays game on my MLB Extra Innings package (for those who do not know, Harry's oldest son is the pre and post game host for the Rays). Of course, Todd was not there and the Rays' broadcasters explained why and offered their own tribute. Then the game started. As most of you know, the Rays blew out the Yankees, but I was watching the Pat Burrell at bats. He was very somber and you saw the Rays players saying things of encouragement to him. Well, I was watching when Pat hit is first non-Phillies home run and he ran with his head down, no smile. All I could think was Harry making the call of this home run and then I really started to cry.

barnaby
04-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Even for someone like me who was a partial Phillies fan but who spent their entire life in the Philly area, Harry Kalas was the soundtrack of the summer for me.

To paraphrase Jayson Stark: "it (Harry's voice) has been such a constant in all our lives for as long as most of us can remember."
Very true indeed.

Ian
04-14-2009, 01:06 PM
I think I can finally put down my thoughts without uncontrollably sobbing. Managed to get through the day by having the game on in my office with the sound off, as I could not handle hearing a game without Harry just yet. I get into my car to drive home and listen to the end of the game on the radio. I hear Lidge give up the 2 run homer, shortening the lead to 1 run. I said a silent prayer that I know Lidge's streak will end, God, just don't let it be today. Lidge pulled it together and they won, but you could hear how hard the game was for the radio announcers, especially Larry Andersen. As they were signing off, Scott Franzke out of habit started to say "this is Scott Franzke and for Larry Andersen and " when he stopped as he was about to say Harry Kalas, as he would for any other game. His voice broke, not knowing what to say. Larry Andersen finished it, saying "and Harry Kalas" which is when I shed the first tears.

Later last night, I was flipping between the Comcast tribute and the Rays game on my MLB Extra Innings package (for those who do not know, Harry's oldest son is the pre and post game host for the Rays). Of course, Todd was not there and the Rays' broadcasters explained why and offered their own tribute. Then the game started. As most of you know, the Rays blew out the Yankees, but I was watching the Pat Burrell at bats. He was very somber and you saw the Rays players saying things of encouragement to him. Well, I was watching when Pat hit is first non-Phillies home run and he ran with his head down, no smile. All I could think was Harry making the call of this home run and then I really started to cry.I'm virtually certain that's what was going through Pat's mind, as well.

Honestly, after seeing Pat's demeanor at the ring ceremony game the other day, I really don't think he's doing all that well with the transition. He seemed pretty melancholy. I'm sure this didn't help things.

PirateLover
04-14-2009, 05:07 PM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Christine, that was wonderful. As far as Pat... yea, I think it really kills him not to be here. I attended Pat Burrell night (First pre-season game) and the ring ceremony. He teared up at both. He got crazy ovations. It's funny, because one of my favorite recent Kalas calls came last season. It was April, and they were into extra innings. (Pat had an amazing start last year, if you remember). Burrell hit a game winning walk off home run. The call went something like "Pat Burrell! Pa-hat Burr-urr-url! Pat Burrell with a game-winning, ninth-inning home run!" Even though it wasn't the 9th inning, that's ok. Harry was allowed to make mistakes. I have tickets for friday and saturday's games and I'm kinda glad... I just am not ready to listen to games without him, knowing that he's not just away for a few days... he'll never be back again. :(

Ian
04-14-2009, 06:02 PM
You know I was thinking ... not that there's really ever a "good" way to go, but if you could write an ideal script for Harry's exit I'm not sure you could do a better job than the way it went down.

He was coming off calling his first World Series Championship for the Phils in his 39 year career ... he had just thrown out the first pitch at his last home game (a game I attended, I might add) and received his World Series ring ... and he passed away in the booth doing what he loved to do.

I'm just trying to draw some solace from the fact that, unlike some others who have gone before him, Harry kinda went out on top.

PirateLover
04-14-2009, 08:11 PM
Ian, I agree with your sentiment totally, but I do have to mention that Harry did not actually receive his ring on that day. Only the players did. Broadcasters and everyone else aren't due to get theirs until June, I read. Either they expedite his so he can be buried with it, or just give it to the family.

DAKustodial
04-15-2009, 02:45 PM
From the Philadelphia newspaper website today:

Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Phillies announce plans for Harry tribute
The Phillies have announced a series of tributes to Harry Kalas for Friday night and also for the rest of the season.

Fans are urged to arrive early for the 7:05 p.m. start against the San Diego Padres at Citizens Bank Park.

According to a Phillies press release, here is what the team has planned:

* The television booth in which Harry broadcast since Citizens Bank Park opened in 2004 will be named the Harry Kalas Broadcast Booth, “That ball’s outta here!” A plaque will be hung to officially name the booth. The neighboring radio booth is named the Richie (“Whitey”) Ashburn Broadcast Booth, “This game’s easy, Harry.”

* The ceremonial first ball will be thrown by Harry’s three sons, Todd, Brad and Kane.

* Prior to the National Anthem, to be sung by Harry’s son Kane, there will be a moment of silence.

* All fans will receive an 8”x10” color photograph of Harry.

* Harry’s signature will be displayed on the field during the seven-game homestand beginning on Friday.

* Also for the seven games, a black drape will appear in front of the Phillies radio and TV booths and the Phillies flag in Ashburn Alley will be hung at half-mast.

* A video of Harry’s career will be aired on PhanaVision.

* During the seventh-inning stretch, a video of Harry singing “High Hopes” will be shown on PhanaVision. Fans will be encouraged to join in.

Other acknowledgements include:

* During the first half-inning of the game televised by Comcast Network Philadelphia (formerly CN8), there will be no announcer commentary.

* Throughout the remainder of the season, a billboard honoring Harry will be displayed on the outfield wall.

* As previously announced, an HK patch will be worn on Phillies uniforms this season.

* Throughout the 2009 season, following every Phillies home run, Harry’s legendary “Outta Here!” home run call will be played over the PA system as the Liberty Bell lights up.

All great tributes, in my opinion. I love the "Outta Here!" after each Phillies home run and I think they should make that a permanent part of every game.

Hammer
04-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Don't know if any of you saw the press conference Todd Kalas had yesterday on behalf of the Kalas family(Todd was pretty classy, which shows the apple doesn't fall far from the tree). From some of the things Todd said, I get the feeling the Harry knew he was dying and just did not want to say anything to his kids or the organization.

Co-worker was at the Sixers game last night and the Sixers did a nice tribute. They had a moment of silence then the lights went out and they played a montage of Harry Kalas calls. Nicely done, especially as he had no connection to the Sixers.

Memorial service at the ballpark on Saturday at 1:00 (his funeral will be private early next week). Gates open at 8:00 AM. I guarantee the line to get in will be blocks long. Hope that Comcast Sportsnet shows it on TV.

Ian
04-15-2009, 03:27 PM
Ian, I agree with your sentiment totally, but I do have to mention that Harry did not actually receive his ring on that day. Only the players did. Broadcasters and everyone else aren't due to get theirs until June, I read. Either they expedite his so he can be buried with it, or just give it to the family.Huh ... I swore I saw them laying out the rings for some of the broadcasters and FO types, but maybe I'm wrong. I missed the very, very first part of the ceremony (watched it on T.V. from McFadden's). I just assumed he had gotten it there.

On another topic ... I had also forgotten that he got to call the World Series opposite his son last year. That just adds to it, IMO.

Christine, I agree with you about what Todd said. I definitely got the feeling that Harry knew his time was limited. He made that reference about them going to the OTB during spring training and Harry leaving early making a comment to the effect that "he'd never be back there again."

JerseyMouse
04-15-2009, 03:56 PM
You all did a wonderful job of capturing what Harry Kalas meant, and will always mean to us.

Just this past week I told my wife how happy I was to go back to work evenings, as one of my favorite things to do was listen to Harry on the drive home...IMHO, baseball is best enjoyed either live, or on radio.

At first, I thought I'd never have that pleasure again..until I realized one of the sponsers of Phillies Baseball is the Fudge Kitchen candy store all along the Jersey Shore..and who else but Harry as spokesman, in that familar voice...at the end of the ad, he says.."The Fudge Kitchen, simply the best..." I will forever say...Harry Kalas, simply the best.

You can best believe Whitey Ashburn was holding the door to the broadcast booth open up above when he heard the news..and probably greeted Harry with.."What took you so long?!" Harry lost a little piece of himself when Whitey passed..it does bring a smile to my face to know they're behind the mike once again, passing out birthday greetings over the Delaware Valley!!

I can't wait until I leave work Friday night, just so I can hear the Fudge Kitchen ad!!!

HK will be sorely missed, never forgotten, and fondly remembered for being such an intergral part of our summers, and a couple of very special falls in 80 and '08..

RIP, H of K!!

PirateLover
04-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Yea, during the ceremony they gave rings to Monty, Gillick, and the coaches and trainers, but no broadcasters. They said on CSN that he did not receive his ring.

The Phillies announced more tributes to departed broadcaster Harry Kalas set for Friday night when the team returns to Citizens Bank Park after a six-game road trip. Kalas died Monday in Washington, D.C. while preparing for the game between the Phillies and Nationals.

The tributes for Friday are as follows:

• The television booth in Citizens Bank Park will be named the Harry Kalas Broadcast Booth, “That ball’s outta here!” A plaque will be hung to officially name the booth. The neighboring radio booth is named the Richie (“Whitey”) Ashburn Broadcast Booth, “This game’s easy, Harry.”

• The ceremonial first ball will be thrown by Harry’s three sons, Todd, Brad and Kane.

• Prior to the National Anthem, to be sung by Harry’s son Kane, there will be a moment of silence.

• All fans will receive an 8”x10” color photograph of Harry.

• Harry’s signature will be displayed on the field during the seven-game homestand beginning on Friday.

• For the entirety of the seven-game homestand, a black drape will appear in front of the Phillies radio and TV booths and the Phillies flag in Ashburn Alley will be hung at half-mast.

• A video of Harry’s career will be aired on PhanaVision.

• During the seventh-inning stretch, a video of Harry singing “High Hopes” will be shown on PhanaVision.

Additionally, the first half inning of Friday's telecast on the Comcast Network, there will be no announcer commentary.

Also, for the rest of the season a billboard honoring Harry will be displayed on the outfield wall, and the legendary, "Outta Here!" home run call will be played over the PA system whenever a Phillie hits a home run.

On Saturday, a memorial tribute will be held at Citizens Bank Park.

An opportunity to pay respects to the Hall of Fame broadcaster will be given on a first come, first served basis to as many fans as possible from 8 a.m. until 12:45 p.m. At that time, all fans in attendance will be directed to seats for an on-field tribute that will begin at 1 p.m.

Additional information will be made public as details are finalized.

Funeral services and burial will be private and held early next week.

Ian
04-16-2009, 02:42 PM
Also, for the rest of the season a billboard honoring Harry will be displayed on the outfield wall, and the legendary, "Outta Here!" home run call will be played over the PA system whenever a Phillie hits a home run.That's awesome! :thumbsup:

I'd still love to see them incorporate "High Hopes" as a full-time part of their home games. Either as an 8th inning tradition (like Sweet Caroline for the Sox) or maybe after a win or something.

PirateLover
04-18-2009, 10:15 AM
I hope everyone has a chance to come down to the memorial service. It is being run perfectly. Got here around 9 and paid our respects and had seats in about 45 mins. Free tastykakes, coffee, donuts. Lots of people leaving so only 3 sections of stadium filled up so far. Davod Montgomery and Bill Giles shook everyones hand at the gate. Harry's casket is fittingly white. The whole thing is just first class.

Ian
04-18-2009, 11:40 AM
I wish we could, Maryanne, but we're going to the game tonight and can't head down now for the memorial, head back home, then head down a couple hours later for the game.

I wish we could go, but I do plan on watching it on T.V.

Man, I'm sad today ... It still hurts. It really does. I just finished watching the Comcast video tribute to Harry on You Tube (for like the 1,000th time) and once again I'm moved to tears. I still can't believe he's gone .......... :(

Ian
04-18-2009, 02:42 PM
Awesome ... this is awesome ... they're using the soundtrack from Field of Dreams (Harry's favorite sports film of all time) for this presentation ...

I'm just STREAMING with tears ... Bridge Over Troubled Water ... beautiful ...

PirateLover
04-18-2009, 03:51 PM
I hope they didn't show me on TV because I was a sobbing mess. Truly touching moment. Passing the coffin along with Bridge over Troubled Water playing was something I'll never forget. And what beautiful tributes. I'll be at the game tonight as well, part of my season ticket package.

Ian
04-19-2009, 07:49 AM
Wish I had known ... we could have hoisted a beer in Harry's honor, Maryanne.

And don't feel bad about being a sobbing mess. I was listening to the ceremony in the car and when they started with Bridge Over Troubled Water I just lost it. I sat in the car with the two kids probably thinking their Dad is a kook and listened to every note with tears in my eyes.

You know, though, just getting the chance to sing High Hopes with Harry during the stretch last night was a great way for me to say goodbye. Which isn't to say I haven't watched his sendoff on Comcast like 10 times already, but for me that was my "moment."

I also stood silently out front of the ballpark by his memorial and just took it all in ...

Hammer
04-19-2009, 10:58 AM
Add me to the list of people who lost it as they played Bridge Over Troubled Water and then brought Harry's casket through the gauntlet of Phillies front office, family and then the Phillies players, with Charlie Manuel, Jimmy Rollins, Brett Myers, Jamie Moyer and Ryan Howard placing him in the hearse. I had managed to get through most of the ceremony with just getting a little choked up in a few spots.

First choked up moment- When Harry's sons went to the casket to pay their final respects.

Second choked moment- when the players (past and present) paid their final respects. You got to see how each personally handles grief which moved me.

Third moment- when the cameras would show the players faces while the eulogies were being said and you saw so many of them openly crying.

After seeing the players at the memorial, I am giving them a mulligan for the last few games. But now, they have had a night to sleep after the memorial and it is time to get back to business. Yes, you know they are going to miss Harry, but now is the point where they need to regroup and go on, as we all need to do when someone close to us dies. It will not be easy, but that needs to start today.

I'll be at today's game and will make it a point to stop at 3rd base gate, where Mike Schmidt's statues and Harry's memorial is located.

Ian
04-19-2009, 11:08 AM
First choked up moment- When Harry's sons went to the casket to pay their final respects.:ditto:

Second choked moment- when the players (past and present) paid their final respects. You got to see how each personally handles grief which moved me.:ditto:

Third moment- when the cameras would show the players faces while the eulogies were being said and you saw so many of them openly crying.:ditto:

With an added footnote that Victorino was a mess. He cried nearly the entire time. He's an emotional guy. I love that about him.

I'll be at today's game and will make it a point to stop at 3rd base gate, where Mike Schmidt's statues and Harry's memorial is located.You should, Christine. It's very moving. Keep an eye out for the battered old transistor radio with the worn Phillies "P" sticker on it.

In keeping with the trend ... when I saw that ... :crying:

PirateLover
04-19-2009, 05:12 PM
Ian I thought about mentioning meeting up for a :beer: but we were taking our friend from Germany and it was his first game ever so we were really busy with him the whole time, explaining rules, showing him the park etc. But I had been thinking that we seem to have a lot of Phils fans on the boards here, maybe we could do a little meet sometime at the park this season. We have season ticket plan D and are always picking up games here and there.

I was choked up pretty much from the start of the memorial. I walked by the casket and kissed my hand and placed it there for a few seconds, and fought back tears all the way to my seat. The Phillies were great with letting everyone take as much time as they needed. Even though it turned out we didn't need to get there so early, it was a bonding experience with other fans. I helped a panicked old man find his friend in the crowd, talked with the people behind me. They played various montages of Harry Stuff throughout the morning and people would cheer for the calls as if it had just happened. As I mentioned there was free food and drink. The programs they gave out to the fans were nicely done.

I have such a hard time dealing with this... I was listening to Sid Mark this morning for Sundays with Sinatra and towards the end of the show he played an interview with Harry when he guested on his show and it was so nice to hear his voice. Then on the Phils pregame show Scott Palmer had his last interview with him, and he asked a very poignant question- Do you know and understand how beloved you are by this city and the fans. And I just started tearing up again. I tell you what, it's great to hear the "That Ball's Outta Here" call at the stadium and yell along with it. I don't think I like "High Hopes" replacing "Take Me Out To The Ball Game" but I'd like to see them keep it in another part of the game, maybe top or middle of the 8th?

And as far as my letter, I fixed my errors, printed it out, and put it in a sheet protector and left it at the statue. I did take out the big dig at Chris Wheeler, though, just in case someone from the family reads it. Didn't want to be un-Harry-like. ;)

Hammer
04-19-2009, 06:18 PM
For some reason, my pictures are not uploading (I know as a moderator that I should be able to upload attachments). I'll try and upload them to a site and post a link later.

Ian
04-19-2009, 06:52 PM
You can send them to me if you want, Christine. I can probably get them to go.

Maryanne, how's about this ... we pick a date, get as many of us together for a game as possible, and spend a few minutes at the Harry Memorial together? Maybe hoist a couple in his honor to a rousing chorus of High Hopes?

PirateLover
04-19-2009, 08:13 PM
Sounds like a plan, maybe we could make a new thread so it's not hidden in here. My next games are Apr 28 (Charlie Manuel Bobble Head) and then May 2nd, which is a Sat afternoon game against the Mets. Weekends would probably work best.

Here is my album of pictures both from Friday night's game and the memorial on Sat. I put them on facebook, it said this is supposed to be a public link for people who aren't on facebook. If it doesn't work, let me know.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2055767&id=42600049&l=6339b4c46b

Hammer
04-19-2009, 09:03 PM
Hey, got a picture to load. Had to take away some of the sharpness to make the file not so large. This a shot from one angle, but the memorial at Schmitty's statue is very large. It is very similar to the pictures I have seen from when Jack Buck died of the memorial outside old Busch stadium to give people outside of Philadelphia a frame of reference.

Ian
04-19-2009, 09:23 PM
I'd really like to go to the Charlie bobblehead game ... might have to see if I can scrape up some tickets.

PirateLover
04-19-2009, 09:37 PM
Great picture Christine. I wonder how long they will leave everything up. Obviously the flowers will start to wilt eventually...

PirateLover
04-21-2009, 12:07 AM
Gosh, I am still not over this. Stupid rain-out. Caused Comcast to replay the memorial service which of course I watched. I just cannot get the image of the players loading his casket into the hearse to "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" out of my mind. Geez, Harry. I love ya' man, but did you have to pick such a sad song?

Something I didn't realize at the time, was that the memorial at CBP was in fact Harry's funeral service. When the hearse left the stadium, the family went directly to Laurel Hill Cemetery for internment.

mitchsfan
05-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Wow! I hate you guys. I thought I was beginning to deal with Harry's passing. I had finally stopped crying. And then I found this thread and the tears came streaming back. It was so sad last night that after the game, I popped in my copy of the Memorial Service and watched that. Then the tears came streaming back.

I am not a Flyers, Sixers or even Eagles fan. I am a perfect husband from November to March. The other months, the Phillies are my true love. They are my team. I live and die with them. When I got the news in class, it was like someone punched me in my gut. I was hoping that somehow it was a mistake. And then my phone just started ringing nonstop.

My wife was home that day because she had an ultrasound scheduled. I called her and she was on the way home with my mom from the appointment. I asked her to tape the game and asked her if she heard. When she said that she didn't, she gasped when I told her. You could hear my mom in the background asking: "What's the matter?" Then there was another gasp.

You didn't have to be a baseball fan to love Harry Kalas. You needed to be human. That is it. Harry was the grandfather who put so many of us to bed so many nights. Harry was the rock that we held onto when Ricky Oteri was our starting centerfielder and Alan Ashby was the starting pitcher. He was the first guy you wanted to celebrate with after every playoff game.

Harry had a lot of great calls. My favorite was the last inning against the Nationals in 2007. I would take that inning over 2008 World Champs anytime. You need to listen to it. He was one of us. He was one of the guys. He just wanted to see the Phils break their 13 year skid. And as Myers got Young to strikeout out and Kearns to flyout, the excitement in his voice is unbelievebale. Then Will Mo Pena steps in and Myers gets strike one, Harry took it to another level.He gets strike two and he takes it to another level again. He says "The fans are on their feet, I am on my feet. You know Brett wants to finish this off with a strikeout." Brett throws ball one and his voice soothes everyone to just relax it will happen.

CURVE BALL, STRUCK HIM OUT.... THE PHILLIES ARE THE NATIONAL LEAGUE EASTERN DIVISION CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL..... lOOK AT THE SCENE ON THE FIELD, LOOK AT THE SCENE IN THE STANDS......

He was one of us. And that is why I think he was as loved as much as he was. He wanted to win as much as we did. And he wanted us to be part of it. He wanted us to feel like we accomplished something too. You don't get that with Jon Miller, Joe Buck, Joe Morgan, or Tim McCarver

Harry had over 9000 people pass his casket on the first beautiful Saturday Philadelphia saw in a long while. He had about half that sit there and watch as dignitaries and the Phillies' family eulogized him.

And there were not any dry tears in the house when Harry passed through his second family. I thought it was ironic who were the final pallbearers for Harry. You had Jimmy Rollins, Charlie Manuel, Jaime Moyer, Brett Myers, Ryan Howard and Milt Thompson. Milt was the representative of what Harry has said was his favorite team....1993. Charlie was the man who guided the Phillies to what was Harry's dream....a world Championship. Ryan, Brett and Jimmy helped achieve Harry's dream. Jaime grew up listening to Harry and then had the privilege of having his games called by Harry.

The last player who carried Harry and placed him into the hearse was Lou Marson. The future of the Phillies. And I took it as that the days may seem bleak now, but the days and games go on. And that the future is bright too.

Thanks for allowing me to share my thoughts of Harry. I have so many more but the tears are streaming again.

Jim

ps.... I have always been a Phillies' apologist but no one can say they did anything wrong with that service. It was beauitful.

Hammer
05-31-2009, 05:27 PM
Kalas to be inducted into Wall of Fame
Late Phillies broadcaster first non-player to be immortalized
By Alden Gonzalez / MLB.com

Hall of Fame announcer Harry Kalas, who broadcast Phillies baseball for 39 years before his death last month, will be inducted into the team's Wall of Fame on Aug. 7 at Citizens Bank Park.
"When we started the Wall of Fame in 1978, the intent was to honor the great players in our history," Phillies president David Montgomery said on Thursday in a news release. "We believe it is fitting to make an exception because Harry deserves to be remembered along with some of the greatest names in our history. He is indeed a Phillies icon."

During his Phillies career, Kalas broadcast 6,037 games. By comparison, Hall of Fame third baseman Mike Schmidt played in a club-record 2,404 games.

And for each of Schmidt's 548 career home runs, Kalas was there to offer up his famous call: "That ball's outta here!"

"Harry is a Wall of Famer by all means," Schmidt said in the release. "I can't wait to see his plaque in August."

Kalas was inducted into the broadcasters' wing of the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 2002, when he received the Ford C. Frick Award, given to a broadcaster who has made "major contributions in baseball."

Wall of Famers who are expected to participate in the ceremonies include Robin Roberts (first inductee, 1978), Jim Bunning ('84), Steve Carlton ('89), Schmidt ('90), Dick Allen ('94), Greg Luzinski ('98), Garry Maddox (2001), Tony Taylor ('02), Bob Boone (2005) and Dallas Green (2006)-- all of which played during a Kalas broadcast.

The Wall of Fame display is part of the Memory Lane section of Ashburn Alley and is sponsored by Toyota. Ceremonies will begin at 7:05 p.m. ET, prior to the Phillies-Marlins game, and will be the start of the annual Phillies Alumni weekend.

It will mark the first time Kalas -- who died at age 73 as a result of a heart attack he suffered at Nationals Park on April 13 -- is not the emcee for the induction ceremonies