PDA

View Full Version : Interesting details in Disney parks

GrumpyFan
04-13-2009, 12:01 PM
I have a picture of Cinderella's castle as my screensaver, and recently I noticed something on it, that I had never noticed before. On the castle walls, there are slits or crosses. This started me to doing some research on exactly what they were, and here's what I found. They are called balistraria's, or arrow loops. In a traditional, real-world castle, these would've been used by archers in the castle when defending it against attacks. They would aim their bows or crossbows out these at their attackers. They were very effective as they were usually high above which gave the arecher a good vantage point, and because of the size of the hole/slit, gave them good protection from return fire.

The fact that Disney included these in the design of their castles just adds to the realism. It's a very small detail, and one that would never actually be used in their parks (hopefully), but they put them there nonetheless! Just another little detail that I appreciate about Disney.

Have you discovered some minor detail that you found interesting in the Disney parks that you would like to share?

Friend of Figment
04-13-2009, 01:55 PM
On a Backstage Magic tour, we learned about how the birds in the Tiki Room "breathe" in addition to their other movements. If you watch carefully, you see them inhale as they sing. They also breathe individually (they're not all programmed identically).

azcavalier
04-13-2009, 02:31 PM
That's one of the reasons that I love the Disney Parks. I love how the architecture in Liberty Square/Frontier Land isn't just period specific, but it actually gets more modern as you walk from one to the next. If you start at one end and walk to the other, the architectural details change from early period to late period (i'm not an architect, just read that in a book).

Animal Kingdom is really amazing this way. The vegetation that they used and how they tried to get as close as possible to the actual regional vegetation in those areas. Amazing stuff. The Tree of Life itself is just nuts when you take a look at it and realize how much work went into that one thing.

Imagineer1981
04-13-2009, 02:48 PM
The music at the parks as well. The music will transition from land to land to help the illusion and the change. There are so many details that make it magical, like the fact the train station on mainstreet is the opening curtain to the show and the fact that you are teased by the castle from the monorail, but when you get to the gates you can't see it at all until you pass through the tunnels and round the bend to mainstreet. All of the storytelling and themeing is just amazing!

tcswife
04-13-2009, 04:29 PM
The fact that it took a year to carve the animals into the tree of life, and the fact that the tree of life is a oil rig is really cool to me.

The little feet that hold Spaceship Earth actually go 150 feet into the ground.

EJS-Houston
04-13-2009, 04:48 PM
I would have to cite the queues for the newer rides like Expedition Everest, The Tower of Terror, etc.... The Tibetan courtyard detailing going in to Expedition Everest and then the Everest Yeti museum make you actually feel disappointed if you go during the off-season and just race through them. There's so much detail to savor that waiting in the queue becames an important and valued part of the ride experience.

Mousemates
04-13-2009, 04:53 PM
we especially enjoy:

the windows on mainstreet

hidden mickeys

the queues of JC/TSM/etc

dumbo ears
04-13-2009, 05:08 PM
I have to say that the hidden mickeys are some little details I have found. Also I found the old riveer country and discovery island on my last trip and I never did them so it was cool to see them

GrumpyFan
04-13-2009, 05:24 PM
Also I found the old riveer country and discovery island on my last trip and I never did them so it was cool to see them

Those two, while I like seeing them because I never experienced them, sadden me. They're kind of creepy/eerie reminders from the past. I don't believe that if Walt were alive, he would let those just sit the way the are/were. I think he would, and they should, completely remove or destroy these as they are an eyesore and create "bad show".

Imagineer1981
04-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Those two, while I like seeing them because I never experienced them, sadden me. They're kind of creepy/eerie reminders from the past. I don't believe that if Walt were alive, he would let those just sit the way the are/were. I think he would, and they should, completely remove or destroy these as they are an eyesore and create "bad show".

Agreed. While making AK definitely expanded the idea of what Discovery Island was, it needs to be removed. Just like the POP expansion buildings should have been hidden better with trees or something, they look like a bomb site

BluewaterBrad
04-13-2009, 06:43 PM
The music at the parks as well. The music will transition from land to land to help the illusion and the change. There are so many details that make it magical, like the fact the train station on mainstreet is the opening curtain to the show and the fact that you are teased by the castle from the monorail, but when you get to the gates you can't see it at all until you pass through the tunnels and round the bend to mainstreet. All of the storytelling and themeing is just amazing!

True................True!!:mickey:

Disnamic Duo
04-14-2009, 08:36 AM
We love walking through Streets of America in DHS and reading all the things in the windows. They also have a lot of neat things all over the place - it makes it look like people really live and work there.

kemps@wdw
04-14-2009, 12:45 PM
EVERY detail I find is interesting. But the most amazing thing of all, is that after all these years and 15 visits to the World, I STILL find new and interesting details that I have not seen before! this is one of the reasons we kep coming back. As well as the act that WDW is the most Magical place on Earth!:thumbsup:

ransam
04-14-2009, 02:35 PM
In fantasyland behind the castle, directly to the left as you pass through, there is a Cinderrella fountain.
as an adult it's cool...but from a children's standpoint if you look up at it, the background on the wall puts a crown on Cinderella's head...it's designed that way so children can see it, but adutls can't...

cinderellagrl
04-15-2009, 10:31 PM
the little details make Disney so magical! If you are interested in the little details I would suggest going on the Keys to the Kingdom tour! The tour guide showed/ told us many little "secrets" about the park that in 25 trips I had not picked out...

I personally love the transition from main street USA to Adventureland (the slow change of architecture, foliage, and music is wonderful!)

drummerboy
04-15-2009, 10:49 PM
Agreed. While making AK definitely expanded the idea of what Discovery Island was, it needs to be removed.
Surely you're not talking about removing the whole island, since it was there long before the land was bought for WDW.

they probably should take down the old River Country though. DW and I were actually able to enjoy River Country on our first trip in '76 when we stayed at FW.

Another detail that I always liked in the Tiki room was the way all the birds are 'on' even if they aren't in the show at the moment. They flick their wings or look around or whatever, but don't just go into suspension.

4ubie1
04-16-2009, 09:26 AM
Another detail that I always liked in the Tiki room was the way all the birds are 'on' even if they aren't in the show at the moment. They flick their wings or look around or whatever, but don't just go into suspension.

The same is true for the Hall of Presidents. If you sit close enough, you will notice that many of the presidents fidget or make side comments to another president near them. I haven't noticed one just sitting there...they are always doing something lively :D

Greenlawler
10-14-2009, 01:54 PM
The same is true for the Hall of Presidents. If you sit close enough, you will notice that many of the presidents fidget or make side comments to another president near them. I haven't noticed one just sitting there...they are always doing something lively :D

My wife thought the were actors the first time we went.:secret:

darthmacho
10-14-2009, 02:52 PM
Since this has turned into a discussion about WDW details, I thought I'd mention World Showcase, which is full of so many wonderful details. My favorite is Mexico, and when I get tired from waiting for my wife to inspect every single item in the shops there, I'm perfectly happy sitting by the fountain and soaking in the details of the faux outdoor scene!

I also second that some of the queues are getting to be so elaborate, you feel like you missed something by just walking on some rides. (Almost) ;)

joanna71985
10-14-2009, 03:13 PM
I love all the little details at Disney. It makes everything so interesting.

disneymom2000
10-17-2009, 01:34 PM
I would have to cite the queues for the newer rides like Expedition Everest, The Tower of Terror, etc.... The Tibetan courtyard detailing going in to Expedition Everest and then the Everest Yeti museum make you actually feel disappointed if you go during the off-season and just race through them. There's so much detail to savor that waiting in the queue becames an important and valued part of the ride experience.

I love off season just for this reason. I can walk slowly through the queue and check it all out at my leisure. If someone wants to hurry around me, by all means run ahead. The queue makes the ride that much more special.

Phantod
10-17-2009, 04:11 PM
On a Backstage Magic tour, we learned about how the birds in the Tiki Room "breathe" in addition to their other movements. If you watch carefully, you see them inhale as they sing. They also breathe individually (they're not all programmed identically).

They explained the same thing to us. Walt had the imagineers create the birds, and with their first cut, they did everything but breathe. They presented them to Walt who told them there was a problem...they had no idea what they missed. So Walt explained about the fact that the birds needed to be breathing. That's Walt. That's why DL and WDW are so special. The imagineers were taught to think outside the box.

Lakin
10-17-2009, 04:30 PM

My mom kept laughing at the Presidents talking to each other in the background. I mean, can't they just sit and be quiet like the rest of us?

Joannelet
10-17-2009, 09:51 PM
I love the details of each park. Its amazing and then once I find something I have to go back and see it again.
I LOVE finding new hidden mickey's that I've never seen before. I recently found one on Peter Pan that I literally screamed on the ride. I got sooo excited! :) LOL
Then there are other details like the lady and the tramp footprints outside Tony's restaurant or the details in the sidewalks-like the two toned sidewalk in liberty square where its supposed to look like a river is running through it...its supposed to be the sewage that would have been flowing through during that time period. The candles in the window for Paul's Revere ride. That there are no bathrooms there because they had no indoor plumbing during that time. Its just amazing the details that went into it.
I have much more...especially in AK since I worked there I was trained to know details of that park :) That park is such a treasure to me because I know so many backstories to things :) I would share them here but it would take days LOL :)
But the park details are sooo amazing. That is why its soooo amazing to go back again and again. I find different things EVERYTIME I go there and I was a previous cast member. :)
Its such a great place to go no matter HOW MANY TIMES you've already been there :)

wdwnutz
10-18-2009, 09:10 PM
I just read a great book about WDW called The hidden magic of Walt Disney World: Over 600 secrets of the MK, Epcot, DHS and AK by Susan Veness. It was so interesting! :mickey:

Maxwell
10-18-2009, 09:28 PM
[QUOTE=tcswife;1867816]The fact that it took a year to carve the animals into the tree of life, and the fact that the tree of life is a oil rig is really cool to me.
[QUOTE]

Umm....what do you mean it's an oil rig?!?

Ten of Hearts
10-18-2009, 11:15 PM
I love the subtle background music they have practically everywhere, especially as you wait in line for the rides. It's magical- like little snippets from the Disney movies.
The breezeway between Adventureland and Frontierland adds a very nice touch too.
Another thing I enjoy is seeing the ibis birds. :mickey:

chrim
10-19-2009, 01:44 AM
[QUOTE=tcswife;1867816]The fact that it took a year to carve the animals into the tree of life, and the fact that the tree of life is a oil rig is really cool to me.
[QUOTE]

Umm....what do you mean it's an oil rig?!?

There was a show that first appeared on the History Channel about 4 years ago that talked about the making of some aspects of the WDW parks. When describing how the tree of life building came about, it was stated that Imagineering purchased a prefabricated section of a standard design off-shore oil production platform. These sorts of structures are usually put in place in the Gulf of Mexico. Disney bought one since it was the right size, was hollow inside (allowing for a 4D theater in the middle) and came with a complete set of engineering drawings and certifications that it was hurricane wind resistant. Thus, Disney saved lots of time and money, got a safe building, and was able to build an amazing structure. :mickey:

I hope this answers your question.

BigBaloo
10-19-2009, 10:47 AM
Definitely the queue's. For me it was first time I rode ToT & when you are in the basement & all of the boiler parts & controls are real. I sell these parts for a living so I was checking them out while waiting in line. It was cool! :cool:

HauntedMansionManiac
10-19-2009, 02:57 PM
My favorite detail is on the Pirate's of the Carribean ride. When your going through the town and under the bridge, there is a pirate on the bridge. If you look up closly you can see hair on his legs.

Tigger10
10-19-2009, 03:49 PM
I like when your walking through the queue in the POC, you'll find two Pirates playing chess in one scene. If you look closely for anyone who plays chess, you'll see that the Pirates are stuck in an endless Checkmate !! What a job the Imagineers have. Sign me up!:mickey:

JabberJaws
10-21-2009, 12:09 PM
There is sooo much attention to details in the parks, which is one of the things I love about them.

I think DAK is the best large-scale example of attention to detail and accuracy in themeing. For example, with EE, all of the bells and ribbons/flags were put in because during their trips to Tibet the sounds that could be heard all around were the flapping of flags/ribbons in the wind and the ringing of bells. Such a tiny detail that no one would miss if it was never there, but a FANTASTIC addition that makes the themeing all the more authentic.

Another one that I noticed a year or two ago on a trip. At the Haunted Mansion. At night outside the mansion, the exterior is all lit up with creapy lighting. The windows are backlit as if lit by candles. Every so often (very randomly...something in the realm of every 5-10 minutes or more perhaps) a shadow can be seen moving across a lit window, as if someone walked in front of the candlelight for a brief moment. This is an INCREDIBLY small thing that probably only 1 out of 100 or more guests notice, but for those few that do notice it is REALLY neat.

Another great place for little detalis is Muppet Vision 4-D. My two favorite are:
On the brick archway just inside the doorway, written on the wall is "Watch your head." Just below that is a dent/crack in the brick as if someone smacked their head into it.
My favorite is the sign just at the entrance that says "Key is under the mat." To the right of the entrance right when you walk in (off the path) is a very standard looking rubber mat. Sure enough if you lift up the mat, there is a key embedded in the floor beneath it.

Joannelet
10-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Jabber Jaws: I had read about the person/shadow in the window a while back and always forgot to look for it. This past July when I was there I told my husbands cousin whom I was with that they say there is a shadow that walks by the window. So we stood there staring at the mansion. When we saw it we were both screaming...It must have been really funny for other people to see us screaming because most likely they had no idea what we were screaming about LOL :)
I too love the details you mentioned about the muppets 3D!!
I have soo many favorite details throughout each park!! :)

johnO
10-21-2009, 10:31 PM
The attention to detail is incredible.

WVParkfan
10-22-2009, 10:27 AM
- There is an area in Epcot (between Innoventions and the Land) that was at one time the "geographic center" of all of Walt Disney World. This is marked with a unique pattern in the sidewalk.

- At the queue for the Indian Jones stunt show at DHS, there is a well with a sign that says "don't pull the rope." If you do, then you'll hear someone down in the well.

- At the Muppet 3D show, there is a net full of jello. It signifies Annette Funicello.

- Lady and the Tramp have left their footprints in the sidewalk in front of Tony's Restaurant at the MK.

- On the Great Movie Ride, there are Egyptian Tiles all over the wall in the Egyptian temple room. Most of them are normal hieroglyphs, but several have pictures of funny MGM and Disney stuff. For example, one of the tiles has R2-D2 and another has C-3PO from Star Wars.

-The 13 lanterns hanging in the Liberty Square Tree in Magic Kingdom representing the original 13 colonies. It's the big tree to the left when facing the Paddle Wheel Boat.

- The hidden Mickey on the Mural at Maelstrom in the Norway pavilion at Epcot is hilarious!

- If you ride the last car on the train at the Magic Kingdom, you can ask to be the "guest conductor." Our kids did this, announced "all aboard," sat with the CM, and received cards that said: "Guest Conductor."

- On Cinderella's Carousel in Fantasyland, one horse had a gold ribbon on its tail. That's Cinderella's horse.

There are just so many more of these fantastic details that makes Walt Disney World unique.

BigThunderFan
10-22-2009, 02:44 PM
I love how if you look at the map of Hollywood studios upside down there is a giant hidden Mickey built into the park. You can do this with satellite images too. Try it!

dumbo_buddy
10-22-2009, 06:01 PM
My favorite detail is on the Pirate's of the Carribean ride. When your going through the town and under the bridge, there is a pirate on the bridge. If you look up closly you can see hair on his legs.

yeah, and his dirty feet!

Laughin' place
10-26-2009, 01:18 PM
There are lots of "hidden" details that are lesser known and underappreciated on The Jungle Cruise. Look for details in the background music, postcards, notes and other items scattered along the line. There are several crates addressed to members of the Adventurers Club, including one that has the Club's real world address (Hill St., if I remember)

eimeo
10-27-2009, 10:58 PM
wow so many interesting details, makes me want to go back right now !!!

ILoveLegos
10-28-2009, 11:35 AM
This is a hidden safety feature that I've appreciated quite a few times in WDW which also happens to be in the "Lightening Strike Capitol" of the USA - (ahem, that is the entire state of Florida).

Nearly every structure has a lightening rod on it for safety reasons. Even the umbrella on Sunset Blvd in Disney's Hollywood Studios. A fact, I especially appreciated while standing under the "Message Board" one hot July while watching a particulary fierce Lightening Storm strike all around thousands of guests under patio umbrellas and it didn't harm anyone! (Don't try this on a golf course, :()

Sometimes Disney details are life savers! :thumbsup:

Giggy
10-28-2009, 09:35 PM
The Tower of Terror was deliberately made to be 199 feet tall. The Federal Aviation Administration require all buildings that are 200 feet or taller to have a red beacon on the top. Imagineers thought this would detract from the theme so made the hotel 199 feet - as tall as they could without adding the beacon.

Expedition Everest is 199.5 feet, I'm assuming the same reason applies.

little_mulan
11-01-2009, 03:28 PM
The music truly makes Disney amazing. It really sets the tome for whatever you happen to be doing!

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
11-03-2009, 04:47 PM
I've been itching to post this and just kept forgetting.

On POTC, there's a detail that I've only gotten once out of the many, many times I've gone on that attraction. When you're in the scene with Captain Barbosa attacking the fort and there are splashes in the water, there is a little extra detail that I could swear happened to me once.

It's a detail that will only catch somebody if they are in the right place at the right time, but I could swear that I felt a burst of air across the top of my head once, as if a cannon ball was being from the fort toward the ship. It was SO cool!!

Also, Captain Barbosa himself is a detail. His outfit is complete down to real hair on his body and rings on his finger, which most people will never see. But it's just a part of what makes Disney so fantastic!

Gator
11-03-2009, 06:17 PM
One thing I've mentioned before on these boards was that during Wishes, two lights stay on in the middle of the castle. If you watch Cinderella, you'll see that these lights represent the Duke staying awake wondering where Cinderella has gone.

SpecJoe Magic
11-04-2009, 06:39 AM
One of the most bizarre and funny details at WDW is on the Jungle Cruise. As the boat passes by the ambushing natives, a close listen will reveal that one of the natives is saying, "I love disco!"

A similar type detail happens on Splash Mountain. Just before the boat reaches the point where Br'er Rabbit is captured by Br'er Fox, there is a gopher that pops out of a hole in the ceiling that says, "FSU!" It's a tribute to Florida State University. I'm guessing that one or more of the Imagineers who worked on Splash Mountain attended that college.

IamBelle
11-04-2009, 04:30 PM
It's a detail that will only catch somebody if they are in the right place at the right time, but I could swear that I felt a burst of air across the top of my head once, as if a cannon ball was being from the fort toward the ship. It was SO cool!!

This happened to me the first time I rode the new POTC. I was hit in my right ear by a blast of air! It came so suddenly and didn't happen to anybody else in our boat and hasn't happened since! I was startled at first, but it is a really cool effect!!

beksy
11-05-2009, 07:32 AM
Wow, I've found so much to look for and interesting new facts just reading this thread! :) We went for years and appreciated all the details that were easy to spot but never realized all of the little details that are easily missed. I've been reading some books since we slowed down and started appreciating these details and enjoy pointing these out to whoever is with me. My mom never knew about hidden mickeys until a few weeks ago. My sister and I were looking for them and she was totally confused until we explained to her what they were. Now she is dedicated to finding them too! I don't have any other details to add but really appreciate all that have been mentioned. :mickey:

Tink#64
11-11-2009, 12:50 AM
One of the most bizarre and funny details at WDW is on the Jungle Cruise. As the boat passes by the ambushing natives, a close listen will reveal that one of the natives is saying, "I love disco!"

A similar type detail happens on Splash Mountain. Just before the boat reaches the point where Br'er Rabbit is captured by Br'er Fox, there is a gopher that pops out of a hole in the ceiling that says, "FSU!" It's a tribute to Florida State University. I'm guessing that one or more of the Imagineers who worked on Splash Mountain attended that college.

I did read that part about the "FSU" exclamation being put into the attraction of a FSU alumni!

I love to read all the trivia & secrets books & then look for & "discover" all the hidden treasures of WDW! It is an absolutley amazing place. The attention to detail there is beyond amazing! No wonder we're all hooked on the magic! :tink: