PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast on the Dining Plan

PhantomTabitha
04-13-2009, 07:10 AM
Hi All,
We are coming over to WDW in September from the UK and have just changed our booking to stay on site at the SSR and take advantage of the dining plan (very excited, never stayed on Disney property before!!). We intend to use the dining plan mainly for breakfasts around the resorts and parks. My mum, my partner and I tend to find that a good, varied buffet breakfast sets us up nicely for the day when we're over there and we're aware that that's not necassarily available at the SSR as it is more inclined towards those who are self-catering, that's fine. My question therefore, is this...what restaurants would you recomend for us to have our breakfasts at? We are willing to book a few character breakfasts but are there also any good buffet breakfasts that you can just go to without booking? At the resorts for example? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

disneyfan328
04-13-2009, 07:45 AM
My vote for a good breakfast buffet is Chef Mickey's for sure. we also like Crystal palace but Chef Mickey's is the best in our book. Lots of variety and the food is wonderful.

Both of the ones that I listed are Character Breakfasts Crystal Palace is Pooh and friends and Chef Mickeys is Mickey, Minnie, Donald, & Goofy

GoofyMom09
04-13-2009, 08:01 AM
I recommend Boma for a great breakfast. It is not a character meal and there are some really different items on the menu as well as more traditional foods. It is at AKL and you can check out the animals and beautiful resort after breakfast. If you are trying to get the most out of your dining plan, you might want to look into using your TS credits for dinners instead of breakfasts. Dinner tends to be much more expensive.

sassy2000
04-13-2009, 09:21 AM
Boma @ AKL is great for breakfast. Also, Tusker House, Ohana, and Chef Mickey's are good (all character meals). Even though September is a slower time to go I would still make ADRs for all of your meals. That is during the free dining offer and most restaurants will be pretty booked up and you may have difficulty getting in without a reservation.
In regards to getting the dining plan, you may want to reconsider if you are only using the TS credits for breakfast (unless of course you got the free dining and then it doesn't matter):mickey:

Lynn J Mc
04-13-2009, 09:31 AM
I love Ohanas breakfast. Especially the pineapple bread. It is not buffet but they bring the food to your table family style and keep replenishing as long as you like. There are characters but they don't bother you if you don't want them.

Nini5055
04-13-2009, 09:59 AM
What you should keep in mind, is that if you choose a breakfast that is within a park, you are allowed to enter the park early. :thumbsup:

Crystal Palace in the Magic Kingdom has a great buffet. We go every visit to WDW.

Princess Akershus in World Showcase is fun...I have only been to Lunch & Dinner, but would imagine the breakfast to be the usual fare plus you get to see the Princesses!!! You also get a free photo with a princess included in your meal price.

Cinderella's Castle in Magic Kingdom is a pre-plated breakfast which would use 2 table service credits. I would prefer to do that with a dinner though.

Donald's Safari Breakfast is fun and located in the Animal Kingdom. The food is very good and well worth it.

Other than that, there are various places outside the parks to eat breakfast such as Cape May Cafe Character Breakfast at Beach Club...we love this one and are going back again! 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian, Chef Mickey (love this one too!!!) at Contemporary, OHana's at the Polynesian...we are going to try this one this year and have heard a lot of good things about it!

Other than that, I don't know much about the regular non-character breakfasts

PrettyMinnie
04-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Another vote for Chef Mickey!!
Plus, it's in the Contemporary and MK is a short walk away! :minnie:

DisneyFr33k
04-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Our vote is Boma or Cind. Castle. Those were the best 2 all you can eat breakfasts we had. The Castle costs 2 table services, I believe. And ADR's are a MUST for the Castle and recommended for any table service. Otherwise you risk walking up and them turning your away.

MickeyMousse
04-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Cape May character breakfast was great! It was much less chaotic, we found, than Chef Mickeys. The food and service were both very good. :mickey:

GoofyforFun
04-13-2009, 12:54 PM
. If you are trying to get the most out of your dining plan, you might want to look into using your TS credits for dinners instead of breakfasts. Dinner tends to be much more expensive.[/QUOTE]
Or just character BF with 1 TS credit.
A good CS BF if your going to DTD is WolfGang Puck express.
Also some of the resorts gave good CS BF options, you can get a omelete and a side with drinks for a CS.

princessesmom
04-13-2009, 09:17 PM
If you really want to use your TS credits for breakfast, it might be better to not get the dining plan. Breakfast typically is much less expensive than dinner. It is probably cheaper just to pay for your meals out of pocket than to pay for the plan.

PhantomTabitha
04-14-2009, 03:24 AM
Firstly, thank you all for the replies, it's super-helpful. Thank you for the tips on how to spend the dining plan points too but to be honest, we are much more breakfast than dinner people and we've got the dining plan for free, otherwise no, we wouldn't have spent our precious pennies on the dining plan. With the exchange rate the way it is, it works out very expencive.
Also, can i just clarify this, and I'm sorry if i'm stating the obvious and bugging you all with this but is it even recomended that we make reservations for the non character breakfasts such as Boma? I suppose, as someone who has stayed off-site I'm just used to wander in and wander out sort of places. I'm totally cool with making reservations I just want to make sure i do it right so that when we get there we don't end up breakfastless!
Thank you all!!

wendy*darling
04-14-2009, 08:13 AM
I think using the DDP for breakfast is a fine idea- especially if you enjoy a filling meal to get you going everyday!

The recommendations for character breakfasts are great- they really are plentiful. There are few non-character buffet breakfasts, but they can be found!

Boma is an excellent one, but even though it is in the resorts- it still fills up and may be difficult to get in without an ADR. If you are there at opening (7:30) you'll have a better chance. (Or late- like maybe 10:30?)

Trail's End at Fort Wilderness has a wonderful buffet- all meals of the day. It's possible to walk-up here. There may be a wait at times, but usually not too long. Good, filing comfort foods are offered here. From SSR, take the bus to the MK, then get on the boat to Fort Wilderness. It's not far from the dock- right in Pioneer Hall (where Hoop Dee Doo is held).

Whispering Canyon at the Wilderness Lodge. Not a buffet- but they do offer a wonderful all-you-can-eat skillet breakfast! Usually very easy to walk in for breakfast.
Same transportation directions as for Trail's End- except get off the boat at the Wilderness Lodge!

There is another very good, and always easy to walk-in buffet breakfast available!
Captain's Grille at the Yacht Club. It's tucked away in a quiet corner- right behind the Cape May Cafe. They share the same kitchen with their busy and popular character breakfast next door! The only time it might be a bit busy is if there is a large convention at the Yacht Club. And the Captain's Grille also offers menu items if you prefer- so it's the best of both worlds!
If you are relying on Disney transportation- take the bus to the Studios and either walk or boat over to the Yacht/Beach Club for breakfast.

There are also some very good resort breakfasts- but not buffets- that are easy to walk in, and easy to get a nice filling breakfast.
Grand Floridian Cafe- lovely setting, good food.
Kona Cafe (Poly)- yummy- known for Tonga Toast and good coffee!

Happy eating!

PhantomTabitha
04-14-2009, 08:19 AM
Wow wee Wendy*Darling, thank you, i couldn't ask for more, that is absolutely perfect! That'll set us up for the fortnight nicely. Such a long post too, thank you very much for taking the time to do that! You jem.
And thank you to everyone else for your suggestions too, I think we're going to be feasting on some pretty fancy breakfasts this september!

ElenitaB
04-14-2009, 09:08 AM
One place that no one has brought up yet for breakfast is Olivia's at Old Key West. You may be able to take the boat from SSR "up river" to OKW as it returns there from DTD (the same boat stops at OKW and SSR as it goes back and forth from DTD). We like Olivia's quite a bit: for breakfast, lunch or dinner. If the boat isn't running early in the morning, ask at the front desk how to get over there and they'll be able to offer some recommendations.

I also second W*D's recommendation for Boma and Kona: great breakfasts! :thumbsup:

tony2979
04-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Firstly, thank you all for the replies, it's super-helpful. Thank you for the tips on how to spend the dining plan points too but to be honest, we are much more breakfast than dinner people and we've got the dining plan for free, otherwise no, we wouldn't have spent our precious pennies on the dining plan. With the exchange rate the way it is, it works out very expencive.
Also, can i just clarify this, and I'm sorry if i'm stating the obvious and bugging you all with this but is it even recomended that we make reservations for the non character breakfasts such as Boma? I suppose, as someone who has stayed off-site I'm just used to wander in and wander out sort of places. I'm totally cool with making reservations I just want to make sure i do it right so that when we get there we don't end up breakfastless!
Thank you all!!

Sounds like you have a great plan there. A great breakfast starts the day off on the right foot.

I would HIGHLY recommend that you obtain reservations (ADR's) for any table service meal. The free dining plan really fills up the restaraunts even during breakfast and even at the various resorts. Best to play it safe!

DANAM
04-14-2009, 11:12 AM
What you should keep in mind, is that if you choose a breakfast that is within a park, you are allowed to enter the park early. :thumbsup:

Crystal Palace in the Magic Kingdom has a great buffet. We go every visit to WDW.

Princess Akershus in World Showcase is fun...I have only been to Lunch & Dinner, but would imagine the breakfast to be the usual fare plus you get to see the Princesses!!! You also get a free photo with a princess included in your meal price.

Cinderella's Castle in Magic Kingdom is a pre-plated breakfast which would use 2 table service credits. I would prefer to do that with a dinner though.

Donald's Safari Breakfast is fun and located in the Animal Kingdom. The food is very good and well worth it.

Other than that, there are various places outside the parks to eat breakfast such as Cape May Cafe Character Breakfast at Beach Club...we love this one and are going back again! 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian, Chef Mickey (love this one too!!!) at Contemporary, OHana's at the Polynesian...we are going to try this one this year and have heard a lot of good things about it!

Other than that, I don't know much about the regular non-character breakfasts

We love all of these along with Whispering Canyon at the wILDERNESS LODGE.

Also if your in DTD try Wolf Gang Puck Express for a counter Service lunch or dinner. Love this place!!!

Nini5055
04-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Breakfast is a wonderful way to start the day...we love it too!!! :thumbsup:

You will enjoy your stay and will be addicted to the dining plan it is so easy!!! :D

I would recommend that you make your Advanced Dining Reservations (ADR's)as soon as you are able. It will guarantee you getting in to the restaurants of your choice.

Have a great trip!!! :mickey:

Charlee
04-14-2009, 04:48 PM
I thought I would respond even though we'll soon get some more time to discuss this in person over coffee! (or hot chocolate!)

I would agree with the obvious character meals
Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare and Crystal Palace are our faves with the Crystal Palace being our very favourite! I could eat there every morning and die happy. On a day in the Magic Kingdom there is nothing more magical than entering the park early, strolling for pictures at the hub and then sitting down for a lovely breakfast at CP. The earlier the better and then you feel ready for an awesome day in the park... :cloud9:

Ohana's is not a good choice due to the meatiness of the menu but Kona Cafe at the Polynesian looks lovely and the Tonga Toast is on my "to do" list!