PDA

View Full Version : Toe to Toe

Disney_pups2
04-13-2009, 04:55 AM
I have been to WDW over 50 times and I adore it. Well, we are trying to make a decision. We want to take a family trip to either WDW or DL
and we are taking the children for the first time. I know that Disney World is so grand and the ultimate but really (and be HONEST) is DL as good as WDW??? Convince me to go to DL over WDW! Pluses and minuses would be helpful.

Here's our details, Our oldest is 3 and very curious. Smart and loves to try to figure things out and how they work. (I know.. Epcot kid in the making) and the new one we are traveling to get from TAiwan in the next couple of months. He is 1yr old. There will also be my parents which are older and don't get around great! So we will stay on grounds at either one we go too. The part will be 6 adults and 3 children. Ok... go!

Cinderelley
04-13-2009, 05:39 AM
I do LOVE Disneyland, but with a new little one, a 3-year-old and two older parents, I would stick with what you know. It will be easier to plan for all the difficulties that you will encounter. Not to mention, they are improving California Adventure, so you might want to wait until they are done to go if it's a once in a lifetime trip.

But to convince you about Disneyland, it's smaller. You can walk to both parks so need need for buses. Blue Bayou is an awesome restaurant that they don't have in WDW. Pirates & Haunted Mansion is 100x better. The Matterhorn. Storybook Land Canal Boats. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. Lots of other things DL has that WDW doesn't.

Mousemates
04-13-2009, 08:38 AM
Disneyland's Plus to me is the quaintness of the park...it has a very smalltown feel about it (which is really odd considering its in one of the largest metro regions in our nation). The outside sections of the Matterhorn Bobsleds and Alice in wonderland create a wonderful atmosphere where the disney magic is very real. As the previosu poster stated some of the rides shared with WDW are also better (thou not all for splash mountain at WDW is 100 X better, as is the winnie the pooh dark ride). Also since the parks mirror each other across a shared courtyard, you can travel from one to the other without a bus transportation. A third benefit is that you can walk to the park entrance from a number of the non-disney hotels (which also gives you the opportunity to eat non-disney (less expensive meals) while you are there. A fourth benefit would be the opportunity to do something else (natural and non disney) while you are in the area. for example, instead of going to the great movie ride and looking at a replica, you could actually go to the real chinese theatre....or even take a couple of days and drive up the coastal highway (one of the most beautiful drives in Amercia)towards monterey (or all the way to San Francisco and fly out of there instead of LAX). For along the way there are both touristy beach towns (Pismo Beach) and natural areas (Big Sur statepark has some nice days hikes and huge giant redwoods).

Stu29573
04-13-2009, 08:58 AM
Pirates & Haunted Mansion is 100x better.

AlthoughI agree with most of your post, Cindy, I think you missed it a bit with this remark. Having been to both I'd heartily agree that DL Pirates is 100% better. However, WDW's Mansion is longer and since the referb is actually better than DL's. Just my opinion!

Friend of Figment
04-13-2009, 11:32 AM
The last time I went to DL (thinking it would be my Disney fix for the year), it just made me want to go to WDW even more. There are things I like at DL like the Story Book boat ride and Aladdin at CA. I also love the Mimi's restaurant across the street. I think what I miss most about WDW at DL is the immersive feeling at WDW. Even if you stay at a DL hotel, the real world is across the street.

PixieMagic
04-13-2009, 12:49 PM
The last time I went to DL (thinking it would be my Disney fix for the year), it just made me want to go to WDW even more. There are things I like at DL like the Story Book boat ride and Aladdin at CA. I also love the Mimi's restaurant across the street. I think what I miss most about WDW at DL is the immersive feeling at WDW. Even if you stay at a DL hotel, the real world is across the street.

I totally agree! There are cool things about DL but it in NO WAY compares to the magic of WDW...:cloud9:

Cinderelley
04-13-2009, 04:19 PM
AlthoughI agree with most of your post, Cindy, I think you missed it a bit with this remark. Having been to both I'd heartily agree that DL Pirates is 100% better. However, WDW's Mansion is longer and since the referb is actually better than DL's. Just my opinion!

I haven't seen the refurb. I like that you walk through more of DL's HM. Like the portraits with the moving eyes, I like being able to walk around and watch the eyes follow me instead of just riding by them. Just my tastes though. Could be that I grew up there. I'm glad to hear that the refurb is a good one. :thumbsup:

MMFreak
04-13-2009, 04:31 PM
I have been to both. DL about 5 years ago. I would never choose DL over WDW. That would not even be fair. WDW is 1000% better.

sleepingbooty
04-13-2009, 07:21 PM
I grew up going to DL, but hadn't been for about 20 years when we went last fall. I was pretty disappointed. I've gotten so used to the total immersion experience of spending a week at WDW. It was nothing like that at DL. Plus, it just felt so darn crowded, but I was told by cast members that it wasn't crowded at all, that what I was seeing was typical. I'd definitely pick WDW for a week long trip. I'd only do DL if you just really want to visit SoCal and plan to spend a couple days of your vacation at Disney.

Ian
04-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Personally, I don't think it's any contest. DL blows WDW away, IMO.

Especially if you have young kids. DL's Fantasyland is WAY better than WDW's and the smaller park size makes dealing with tired kids much easier. No hour travel time from park to hotel. It's like a five minute walk, tops.

Personally, I can't fathom folks who claim WDW is somehow better than DL. Since Epcot has basically gone down the tubes, there's really nothing drawing me to WDW that I can't get (and get better) in DL.

irish1967
04-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Never been to DL but have to agree with the pp who said "go with what you know"

With a 3 year old and a 1 year old - being where you know your way around and are able to react to the "toddler" and "baby" situations definitely makes for a better vacation.

Save DL for when the children are older - that is our plan!

dtootsie42
04-13-2009, 07:29 PM
I love DisneyWorld but found some really neat things that I enjoyed at Disneyland. The family just went to Disneyland in October. We had gone once before but this time had the time to do things we could not before. I loved Storybook land, Pirates is priceless, got to ride my favorite Mr. Toad and love Alice in Wonderland. Not to mention the orginal Tiki Room. We loved eating at Blue Bayou and Steakhouse 55. We also enjoy eating at Mimi's.

We did not stay at a Disneyland Hotel but we stayed at the Howard Johnsons, a ten minute walk away, and loved it.

One of my daughters just took a quick trip before her pass expired and saw Its a Small World and loved the changes. She thought it was going to be awful but said they did a great job.

We also enjoy all the fruit stands that they have at Disney's California Adventure. Loved getting fresh pineapple slices and watermelon wedges. Yummy!

andreallybadeggs
04-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Since the kids are so young I'd go with what YOU most want to do. I might disagree with pp and say since the kids will love either place, try something different instead of what you've always done but that's my personality, maybe not yours. Is $ a factor? Then choose the one that is most affordable for you. Never been to DL and want to give it a try?-- go there. Love WDW so much your heart will ache the whole time that you're west-coasting it?-- head back to Orlando.
Our family loves all things "Classically Walt" so we thoroughly enjoy the more homey, quirky, campy ambiance of the original park and don't feel at all cheated when we're there. That being said, if we could only go one direction or the other for the rest of our lives, Florida would be the choice.
Enjoy the decision making.:thumbsup:

jrkcr
04-13-2009, 10:44 PM
In the past 15 months, I have been to DL 3 times, for 5 days each trip-a total of 15 days. And I went once to WDW for 14 days. So I obviously enjoy both!! So don't anyone get mad...but,

If you're comparing just Magic Kingdoms, I absolutely, completely, prefer DL over WDW for all the same reasons listed in the above posts. The rides are better quality, and the park just somehow feels "original". DL fireworks last summer were the best I have seen in my life. I actually teared up my first trip to DL on the canal boats...but then I am like that.:rolleyes: The trains are awesome, and so is Space Mtn(even tho it makes me :sick:), and I think the wishing well is so cute! If you go to DL, I highly recommend the "walk in Walt's footsteps" tour for the adults. :thumbsup:

But if you factor in Epcot...well that makes it a difficult decision, cause I love Epcot! :heart:

California Adventure at DL is like a day at DHS. But check the schedule for CA cause they have been doing alot of work in that park.

Staying at a WDW resort is a great perk, and they just "feel" more disney than the disney hotels at DL-although I have never been to the DLHotel(yet!)
But then at WDW you have to catch the busses, and at DL you can just walk it. So it depends on if you want to ride or walk.
Also they have no disney "value" resorts at DL. For that price level you'd be in a good neighbor hotel.(which I have done twice and it was just fine).

Well, I haven't helped much...sorry. Either way, I know you'll have a great trip!! :mickey:

JavaDuck
04-14-2009, 02:24 AM
Growing up on the west coast, I've been to Disneyland 3 times. I think it is a great park and have great memories of my first Disney experiences. Like other posters if I was comparing one Magic Kingdom to another, I would vote for the Disneyland version.

If I was comparing the Disneyland resort to WDW. WDW wins hands down. I totally loved my week long trip last year and am exciting about our trip this year.

In regards to your situation, I would say go with WDW. Go with what you know and save Disneyland when your children are a little older and can appreciate more the specialness (sp) of Disneyland.

dmosher
04-14-2009, 02:42 AM
Based on what you said, I would go with WDW. just seems to fit what you are looking for on this trip. Especially if your planning on going for any extended amount of time. Either way, you know you will have a great time.
:pipes:
D

Disney_pups2
04-14-2009, 12:59 PM
I am sensing the answer is WDW...lol. I am afraid that if I don't do it this time after so long not going that I will regret it. Thank you all for your wisdom and advice. I think I have to go with my heart and say WDW!!:mickey::mickey:
Maybe we will go DL next time. When we adopted our first son we had to cancel our 9 day Disney trip which almost killed me. BUT he had to come first. So, I appreciate your insight and thoughts! The majority said WDW.. so we will go there.

Sarah k:thumbsup:

Aggie97
04-14-2009, 04:00 PM
My husband and I absolutely loved DL. The detailed theming in the park is just wonderful. The unique rides in Fantasyland are great. I know it has its detractors, but we enjoyed DCA too. We had a terrific stay at the DL Hotel and some excellent TS meals.

We did feel that WDW offers a more immersive experience than DL and better lends itself to a lengthier vacation. We went into our DL trip knowing this, though, so we were not at all disappointed!

We definitely look forward to returning to DL. But -- we are planning to wait until after the extensive DCA work is done in a few years.

Whatever you decide, have a great time! :mickey:

BluewaterBrad
04-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Personally, I don't think it's any contest. DL blows WDW away, IMO.

Especially if you have young kids. DL's Fantasyland is WAY better than WDW's and the smaller park size makes dealing with tired kids much easier. No hour travel time from park to hotel. It's like a five minute walk, tops.

Personally, I can't fathom folks who claim WDW is somehow better than DL. Since Epcot has basically gone down the tubes, there's really nothing drawing me to WDW that I can't get (and get better) in DL.

Ian, why do think EPCOT has gone down the tubes??:mickey:

MidnTPK
04-14-2009, 04:42 PM
I know that Disney World is so grand and the ultimate but really (and be HONEST) is DL as good as WDW??? Convince me to go to DL over WDW! Pluses and minuses would be helpful.

While WDW has extraordinary scale in the size of the resort, I must say that the Disneyland park is awesome.

I visited the DLR in March of 2006 for the first time. I'd been to WDW 5+ times in the past few years, and I had concerns similar to yours. But the two resort areas are different enough to not be exactly comparable.

But when comparing the WDW Magic Kingdom to Disneyland Park,you might actually end up liking Disneyland more. Here's why: all of the attractions in DL are either equal to or better than their counterparts at WDW. Small World, Peter Pan, and POTC are much longer rides in DL. Add to that there are more attractions in DL and you'll actually be a little disappointed in WDW's Magic Kingdom. Space Mountain and Indian Jones in DL are the two best rides in any theme park anywhere.

WDW makes up for it's shortcoming in scale. DL doesn't have EPCOT, Animal Kingdom, Blizzard Beach, or Typhoon Lagoon. So you'll be pleasantly surprised when you're done -- you'll want to keep going back to both.