PDA

View Full Version : Boys and Meals at the Castle

Cam'sMom
04-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Happy Easter Everyone!

We are returning to WDW in October to celebrate my son's 8th birthday. I would really like to go to a meal at the castle, but he seems hesitant. He is worried that it is for girls. Can anyone tell me if any of the Princes are there and if it is only geared towards young girls? I really want to go, but I don't want to make him feel out of place.

Thanks!

dmosher
04-12-2009, 06:50 PM
I am a 35 year old male, and I enjoyed it. Admit-tingly I am probably more in the blushing realm around Princesses that an 8 year old boy. It was pretty cool and the food was decent. My advice would be to dress him up like a prince in some fashion. Maybe at least a sword and shield. I saw Arora (I think) talking to her "brave knight" and give him a kiss on the cheek. So cute and the boy loved it.
Just a thought,
:pipes:
D

Tinkpink
04-12-2009, 08:03 PM
We went last September when DS was 8 (and dd5). They both had a blast.

The princesses are there and you get a pic with Cindy. That may be the only thing "girly".

Our son really enjoyed it. He loved walking in the castle and seeing the decorations (which include a Knight, the tower etc...). All very cool for young boys.

Also, boys get a sword - simple -but a highlight none the less!

DS8 liked the food (I thought it was "OK").

I recommend going for it..the whole thing is a nice experience and your son will likely enjoy and remember it!

yjgirl32
04-12-2009, 08:33 PM
That was was the one place place my ds5 requested. We opted for the breakfast at Akersus since we had been to the castle on our last trip. He loved the castle very much!

Insanity Clause
04-12-2009, 08:46 PM
I am glad someone else asked this. We will have lunch at the castle when we head down there and we will have DD 10, DD 9 and DS 7 and I was worried about him enjoying the experience.

SBETigg
04-12-2009, 08:48 PM
My son would have gone along with it, but it's not really his thing. The whole idea of my planning that for his birthday wouldn't have felt like something I was doing for him, but more for me. It is very girly and some boys aren't really thrilled with that at a certain age. I would do something for your son on your son's birthday, and this isn't a great choice. Another character meal, like Chef Mickey's, or maybe 'Ohana or Boma, T. Rex. Build something around what he really likes. If he's apprehensive about even the idea of being at the castle, it might seem that much worse when he's there surrounded by little princesses. And if a Disney princess had approached and kissed my son at that age? Oh, no. That would never fly. I don't know many eight-year-old boys who would enjoy that. Older ones, perhaps, but not one who is already not thrilled with the idea.

But, if it's not for his actual birthday celebration, he might go along with it. I wouldn't encourage him to wear his birthday button on that day and I would keep it low key as far as the attention surrounding him. The CMs are good at understanding when attention is wanted, and when it might be unwelcome. The castle itself is nice, not a great meal, but it's fun to eat in the castle if you're into that.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-12-2009, 09:41 PM
We took my 13 & 18 year old nephews last year. They were fine with it and enjoyed the meal and the show but they love Disney almost as much as me.

Cam'sMom
04-12-2009, 09:53 PM
Thank-you everyone for the responses.

As soon as he found out he would receive a sword he was no longer "wishy washy". He actually wants to go on his birthday now, but we all ready planned Hoop De Doo for his birthday. He has made up his mind on all of his meals (The Castle, Hoop De Doo, T-rex, Cape May Cafe, Chef Mickey, Tony's Town Square, Ohana Friends Breakfast).

Thanks again.

CaptSmee
04-12-2009, 09:59 PM
I loved eating there with my sister this Jan! Especially when Snow White was fawning over me (of course i'm a 37 year old male, not the same for an 8 year old!).

ElenitaB
04-13-2009, 10:36 AM
I've taken my son there several times, starting with his fifth birthday. But by the time he was nine, he was OVER it (http://family.webshots.com/photo/2953899380091682051uqxXXP). Your DS might enjoy it though with the sword and it being his first time and all. After that, you're entering the boy "danger zone." ;)

javamama
04-13-2009, 02:35 PM
My ds loved it last year, all the pretty princesses. I have the best pic of just him and Cinderella he's even blushing:blush: So cute, and of course he poked the snot out of my dad, dh, and bil the whole day w/that sword:D

FenwayGirl
04-13-2009, 03:55 PM
My nine year old grandson went to the breakfast with us back when he was 7...he and my son opted out this trip. They are going to spend the day at Disney Quest while we girls have a girly girl day!:mickey:

princessesmom
04-13-2009, 09:14 PM
My son turned 8 during our last trip. My youngest dd5 had to see the princesses and my too older daughters 13 and 11 were fine with it, of course. We all had breakfast at Akershus. He loved the food, but wanted nothing to do with the princesses. I also booked breakfast at the castle, but only with the girls. I'm so glad I didn't include him.

My son was there when he was 5 and it was fine. If your son has never been it might be okay for him as a new experience. You might consider doing dinner though, when the princesses aren't coming to the table. He still gets to experience the castle, but won't have to deal with the princesses first hand!

dmosher
04-14-2009, 04:58 AM
But by the time he was nine, he was OVER it (http://family.webshots.com/photo/2953899380091682051uqxXXP).
That is an awesome picture! hahaha I get the same expression with a touch of fear whenevef clowns are around.
:pipes:
D