PDA

View Full Version : Fashion question - Wedding Attire

Piglet822
04-11-2009, 07:41 PM
I'm a jeans and t-shirt kind of gal and I wear a uniform to work so my wardrobe is definitely limited.
DBF and I have been invited to a wedding in May and the invitation says "Black Tie Optional". I know Black Tie refers to the men but what would be an appropriate outfit for me to wear? I don't really care for dresses or gowns being Pooh-sized and all, would a dressy pantsuit be suitable?
Thanks in advance for the help, y'all :D

crazypoohbear
04-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Yes a very dressy pant suit would be good.
Check out Macy's, You could even get very nice dressy pants and a beautiful blouse. There are some very comfy dressy pants that have an elastic waist and have a "car wash" type of over lay so while you are wearing pants it looks like a long skirt.
Have fun a the wedding

Tink2002
04-11-2009, 09:22 PM
If you didn't want a dress, I would go with a pair of dress slacks and a pretty blouse.

HOWEVER, being "pooh sized" doesn't mean that you still can't look great in a dress! You should go try some things on. Empire waste styles are flattering for every figure type.

Tigger&Stitch
04-12-2009, 12:39 AM
Absolutely. You can probably even find one with wide legs that give the illusion of a skirt.

Being "pooh sized", check out Lane Bryant - they have some lovely outfits designed to fit women who wear larger sizes.

Cinderelley
04-12-2009, 04:18 AM
Personally I wouldn't read that as being able to wear a pantsuit. Black-tie affairs require tuxedos and formal dresses. I don't think the "optional" part means that women can drop all the way down to pantsuits. For men, it would be a dark suit and tie. Women would still be wearing a dress. Black-tie optional affairs are generally ones in which the hosts want a black-tie affair, but realize not all people they are inviting have the resources to dress like that. I would contact whomever sent you the invitation and ask them.

I wouldn't be too worried about being Pooh-sized. Your DBF loves you just the way you are (or he's not worth it), and I'm sure he'll love seeing you all dressed up and looking ravishing

TheDuckRocks
04-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Pants for women are acceptable nowdays at more formal affairs. And for that I'm very thankful as I have severe foot problems that have me wearing really ugly shoes about 99% of the time and long pants tend to hide them. We have been doing a lot of cruising lately and on the most formal nights you will always see women in pants.
Jeanne, try dressbarn for palazzo pants I have gotten them there for a very reasonable price, I think $20 or $30 which I wear with a glitzy top. Also JC Penney catalog has a line of clothing called Units that has a pant with a wide leg for about $25. I like to wear them with a shell of the same color with a sheer flowing tunic lenghth blouse/duster, tends to hide all my lumps and bumps.:thumbsup:
And remember no matter what you are wearing you will see people dressed up more than you and others dressed up less. To each their own and you are there to celebrate your friends wedding not walk a fashion runway.

Piglet822
04-12-2009, 10:11 AM
You guys are great! I appreciate all the advice and the wonderful comments. Yes, DBF does love me the way I am, I'm the one not happy with how I look in dresses.
I like the idea of the slacks that look like a dress. I think I'm going to look into that. I love Lane Bryant! They have the nicest clothes!!
And off topic to Kay, I love your signature, lol.

MNNHFLTX
04-12-2009, 06:58 PM
A dressy pantsuit will be fine, Jeanne--and there are some very cute ones out there. My sister even wore one of those where the pants looked like a skirt, but very elegant and formal looking, when she was the mother of the bride a few years back. Good luck in your shopping endeavors!:thumbsup:

Stitchahula
04-13-2009, 04:25 PM
You don't need to wear a dress to be dressy. You can get pants with a "flowy" feel to them so it looks like you are wearing a full length skirt. Pair that with a dressy top and you'll be all set. I think if you feel comfortable it will help you enjoy the wedding rather than being in something you hate. Have fun.

Piglet822
04-13-2009, 10:26 PM
Any idea where I can find the "flowy" pants? The ones that look like a dress when you wear them? I've checked a couple of websites and not found anything online.
Thanks everyone :)

jrkcr
04-14-2009, 12:22 AM
I am also very pooh-ish, and hardly ever wear dresses or skirts. I just feel less poohish in pants and heels.

About 3 years back, I bought a pair of black carwash pants-the ones with the overlay. I call them my "fluffy pants". :blush: I got mine at Catherines, and they also had it in a pretty turquoise, but I just bought the black. I wore them to a formal ballroom dance Christmas party.

I think most people don't care much if you at technically "black tie" or not, just so you are dressed appropriately. The attention will be one the woman in white!

crazypoohbear
04-14-2009, 04:10 AM
I just googled "car wash Pants" and found them on old pueblo traders, they have them in women's sizes the price was 54.99.
You could also check with stores like Macy's, nordstroms, I even got a pair at sears years ago on clearance.

MNNHFLTX
04-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Jeanne, check out Dillards or Nordstroms. Online they are selling them as carwash or palazzo pants.

SBETigg
04-14-2009, 10:50 AM
I just googled "car wash Pants" and found them on old pueblo traders, they have them in women's sizes the price was 54.99.
You could also check with stores like Macy's, nordstroms, I even got a pair at sears years ago on clearance.

Car wash pants? Wow, that's not a very dressy name, is it? I've heard them called palazzo pants. It sounds so much more elegant. But yes, they have some very dressy pants outfits now, suitable for dress affairs. Lane Bryant (the store and website are different from the catalog) or Jessica London (mail order/website- good return policy, featuring customer reviews which helps with making up your mind about size and quality) might have some things if you run out of luck at Macy's and other department stores.

TheDuckRocks
04-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Dressbarn is showing them on their website in the online woman's catalog for $39.99. Their store locator shows they have a number of stores in the greater Orlando area.

murphy1
04-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Hi Jeanne!! Also try Cato, they have all different sizes and styles and great prices, there is one there off Hwy 50 I have been to. I used to buy work clothes there, I just went to the one up here and got some Spring stuff. If the wedding is in Florida, you will see all kinds of outfits show up, even if it says black tie.

Piglet822
04-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Ok, I got the outfit! My best friend lent me a pair of her palazzo pants, they're black, and I found a beautiful black and gold blouse to go with it.
Now, here's the thing. The pants come to my ankles so I'm thinking a black, dressy, sandal. No heel because of my foot and knee problems. Will that work? With a small gold or black clutch.

TheDuckRocks
04-17-2009, 05:41 PM
Ok, I got the outfit! My best friend lent me a pair of her palazzo pants, they're black, and I found a beautiful black and gold blouse to go with it.
Now, here's the thing. The pants come to my ankles so I'm thinking a black, dressy, sandal. No heel because of my foot and knee problems. Will that work? With a small gold or black clutch.

Jeanne it sounds like you have gotten everything together wonderfully and I don't think a high heels is needed. It is my personal feeling that walking without fear of tripping or being off balance is more important than the glam factor. Post pix after this affair, please.

Piglet822
04-17-2009, 10:14 PM
Jeanne it sounds like you have gotten everything together wonderfully and I don't think a high heels is needed. It is my personal feeling that walking without fear of tripping or being off balance is more important than the glam factor. Post pix after this affair, please.

Thank you so much for all of your advice :thanks:
I'll be sure to post a picture. Be patient though, the wedding isn't until next month :D