PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever asked to be upgraded and they gave it to you???

tinkerddeedee
04-09-2009, 09:16 PM
I was reading another post about being upgraded and was wondering if at check in, you could just ask to be upgraded? Would you need an excuse? Would you need to pay the extra $?
Don't get me wrong, I'm am thrilled to be staying at POR, but if we had the oppourtunity to stay at a delux, I think I would take it!

NotaGeek
04-09-2009, 10:11 PM
There is no rule that you can't ask for an upgrade. Will it help? Who knows ... depends on the CM, situation, booking level of the resort and no you wouldn't have to pay for it. Upgrades are typically complimentary, otherwise you would just be paying for a nicer room/resort. There's no real rhyme or reason or upgrading, so sure, ask away ... and good luck, everyone deserves a perk from time to time.

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-09-2009, 10:18 PM
It can't hurt to ask, but if you have your heart set on an upgrade, you're better to just book it/pay for it.

We've had "little" upgrades, like to a water view room, but never to a different resort...that would be cool though :thumbsup:

DisneyGlutton
04-09-2009, 10:47 PM
You mean ask for a free upgrade? That is tacky! If they offer it to you unasked, that is fantastic, but to ask for it like you're entitled or something? Sheesh

disneyboundagain
04-09-2009, 11:03 PM
I've asked 3 times at the CR and was upgraded once. I had a standard view in the wing booked, and I was upgraded to a Tower room with a MK view. Don't fool yourself, as they know exactly what they are doing, we've booked a MK view in the Tower every year since.

hubbyofadisneyholic
04-09-2009, 11:13 PM
You mean ask for a free upgrade? That is tacky! If they offer it to you unasked, that is fantastic, but to ask for it like you're entitled or something? Sheesh

I agree. It would never even occur to us to ask.

disneyboundagain
04-09-2009, 11:18 PM

Entitled is a stretch, but there is nothing wrong with politely asking, at least IMO.

Belster
04-09-2009, 11:19 PM
We have never asked in all of our years but if you feel you can ask...ask away!

Polynesian Dweller
04-09-2009, 11:26 PM

Ok, putting on my hat as a former hotelier for 10 years. It is not tacky to ask politely. That is by all means OK. It is tacky to ask in a way that is demanding. If there is any sense of expectation in the way one asks then you are almost sure not to get it.

If hotels are not full the chances are greater of an upgrade, and yes its often as a way of trying to convince people to always book the higher rate rooms in the future. Hotels upgrade for 3 primary reasons: 1. Overbooked in lower rate rooms 2. Sales promotion of the higher end rooms and 3. for operational reasons which mainly means deployment of staff (i.e. housekeeping) or room maintenance issues.

Friend of Figment
04-09-2009, 11:47 PM
I've asked (and paid for) an upgrade to MK view at the COntemporary. It wasn't available when I booked, but upon check in I got it.

mouseketeer mom
04-10-2009, 08:41 AM
I asked at the Poly last month, but also asked what the price difference would be. We were fully prepared to pay for the upgrade, we would never consider asking for a free upgrade. We took our credit card out and gave it to the CM when she informed us an upgrade was available. She refused the payment, instead said it was a birthday gift, since we were celebrating my daughter's 13th BD. We were happy, but honestly, even that felt a little awkward. We had discussed wishing for a different room type on the plane on the way to WDW. We figured we would just ask, never looking for the upgrade for free. Never.

gardenia
04-10-2009, 08:46 AM
Asking for an upgrade to a better view is a maybe (but tacky IMO)... asking for an upgrade to a different resort is pretty ridiculous.

Seriously, if you are dreaming of deluxe, start saving those pennies and go the way the rest of us do - by paying for it.

TheRustyScupper
04-10-2009, 08:52 AM
1) You can always ask for a room or view upgrade.
2) Seldom is it granted.
3) Counter-upgrades are at the whim of the CM.
4) There are lots of reasons to grant or not grant an upgrade.
. . . if the CM likes you
. . . if it is a good day for the CM
. . . if the moon is aligned properly
. . . if there are rooms available for an upgrade

tinkerddeedee
04-10-2009, 11:26 AM
ok, ok, ok :hide2:
I was ONLY looking for info since I'm so new to all of this! I don't want to give the impression that I'm some cheap-o looking for a free ride.
I WOULD intend to pay for a deluxe, we've saved our pennies, just like the rest of you;)

I'll make sure my wording is more PC next time!

:shrug:

tinkerddeedee
04-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Ok, putting on my hat as a former hotelier for 10 years. It is not tacky to ask politely. That is by all means OK. It is tacky to ask in a way that is demanding. If there is any sense of expectation in the way one asks then you are almost sure not to get it.

If hotels are not full the chances are greater of an upgrade, and yes its often as a way of trying to convince people to always book the higher rate rooms in the future. Hotels upgrade for 3 primary reasons: 1. Overbooked in lower rate rooms 2. Sales promotion of the higher end rooms and 3. for operational reasons which mainly means deployment of staff (i.e. housekeeping) or room maintenance issues.

Thank you! I apprecialte you explaining it to me:mickey:

tinkerddeedee
04-10-2009, 11:29 AM
I asked at the Poly last month, but also asked what the price difference would be. We were fully prepared to pay for the upgrade, we would never consider asking for a free upgrade. We took our credit card out and gave it to the CM when she informed us an upgrade was available. She refused the payment, instead said it was a birthday gift, since we were celebrating my daughter's 13th BD. We were happy, but honestly, even that felt a little awkward. We had discussed wishing for a different room type on the plane on the way to WDW. We figured we would just ask, never looking for the upgrade for free. Never.

WOW! How neat for you all!

SBETigg
04-10-2009, 11:31 AM
It was a good question. Don't give up. The question comes up here periodically and there are strong opinions, obviously. You can ask. It seems asking for an upgrade to a deluxe from another resort has very little chance of working out. They usually do those sorts of upgrades when they overbook or something maintenance-related requires them to shift some patrons. If you happened to ask on the right day, who knows? Getting upgraded to another room in the same resort is more likely but still not something to count on. Still, no harm in asking.

I never ask. I'm usually pretty happy with what I've been given and what I've booked. I have been upgraded on my anniversary to a room with a great view from a garden view (at the Grand Floridian). That was very sweet, but it was just given, not requested. It seems to me that most upgrades happen that way.

MarkC
04-10-2009, 11:47 AM
I personally don't have a problem with anyone asking for an upgrade, especially if you've been chatting with the Cast Member and they are in a good mood. You never know. I don't think we've ever asked or been given one, but I think if you are polite about it, there's nothing wrong with doing so. You're certainly not cheating anyone since you're justing asking. I know I get upgraded frequently on my business travels since I usually stay at a particular hotel chain. If you've been to Disney a few times, it doesn't hurt to mention that either. Mark

tinkerddeedee
04-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Thank you for your replys! I won't be asking for one because I know i'll love our resort!:thumbsup:
I'm glad I have a better understanding for what it's all about!:blush:

elmjimmlm
04-10-2009, 02:49 PM
I have read on some other sites that more or less tell you to ask when you check in for this...Just a thought...

TheVBs
04-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Come on guys! :confused: Was it really necessary to be so rude in response to this question? Does anyone consider rudeness to be tacky? I do! There was no reason to make her feel bad about this.

ok, ok, ok :hide2:
I was ONLY looking for info since I'm so new to all of this! I don't want to give the impression that I'm some cheap-o looking for a free ride.
I WOULD intend to pay for a deluxe, we've saved our pennies, just like the rest of you;)

I'll make sure my wording is more PC next time!

:shrug:

Please don't feel bad. It was a great question that generated some genuinely helpful info from some genuinely helpful people. :mickey:

shev
04-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Come on guys! Was it really necessary to be so rude in response to this question? Does anyone consider rudeness to be tacky? I do! There was no reason to make her feel bad about this.

DITTO

Daddy Mouse
04-10-2009, 05:16 PM
I intend to ask for an upgrade to a King Bed when we check in. I fully intend to pay for any upgrade if we were to get it. If we do not get it, we won't be out anything less than we started.

tinkerddeedee
04-10-2009, 07:37 PM
:grouphug:aaawwwwee, you guys are just to sweet! :hug:
Thanks for the info!
The main thing I REALLY hope to have is a corner room in building 14, 17, or 18!!!!!!! :cheers:

twink61
04-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Didn't asked to be upgraded, but asked for a room close to the bridge at POR and ended up getting a water view room.

javamama
04-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Just like when people ask to be upgraded to first class on a flight, if you do it the right way it's possible. We would get people coming off the planes complaining about who they were sitting next to. So I would tell those people go back to your seat we'll take care of it, and then upgrade the person they complained about:thedolls: So a little kindness always goes farther--IMO. G/L

tinksmom02
04-11-2009, 02:51 PM
Just like when people ask to be upgraded to first class on a flight, if you do it the right way it's possible. We would get people coming off the planes complaining about who they were sitting next to. So I would tell those people go back to your seat we'll take care of it, and then upgrade the person they complained about:thedolls: So a little kindness always goes farther--IMO. G/L

I love that!!!

Dulcee
04-11-2009, 05:25 PM
We were upgraded several years ago a few days prior to check in. We were booked at a moderate and ended up getting a phone call a few days before leaving if we'd mind being changed to AKL. I believe this was right about the time Dixie landings was being refurbed. It was a pleasant surprise> :mickey:

tinkerddeedee
04-11-2009, 06:21 PM

Thats Great!!!! I try to tell my girls, "you catch more bees with honey":pooh:

DisNut
04-11-2009, 06:27 PM
We stayed at ASMo in February and upon check in the CM said we would be getting an upgrade to the Fantasia Building!

It was our first time there so I had no idea where the building was. Turned out to be adjacent to the pool area and the food court.

It was a very pleasant surprise!

We were there again in March, staying at POR this time and did not receive an upgrade, although we did request a specific building with an upper level room, which we got! We usually ask for specific buildings/upper level rooms at POR and always get the request.

Although I highly doubt we will ever stay at a Deluxe (considering the $$ and the time actually spent in the room) I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to be upgraded to a Deluxe (preferably Poly, CR, BW or BC, in that order!). (Can ya hear me Disney CM's???????) Maybe next time we go.......

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
04-13-2009, 09:14 PM
Intercot is by far our favorite place to come for "All things Disney". There are so many wonderful people here to help with any questions or comments on Disney.
We think you are really cute hiding under your chair.... you made us laugh.We didn't take it that you were asking to try to get something for nothing.We have never thought of asking either but,good to know.
We have always been taught that the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. I am glad to of learned more of this subject as well. Keep smiling and asking questions.
Dawn,Denise&Diane:wave::wave::wave:

2lilboys
04-13-2009, 10:03 PM
We have never asked for an upgrade, but have gotten lucky both times we stayed at Poly to get one at check-in. We were booked in a Garden view and upgraded (free) to a Lagoon view. We thought that perhaps our travel agent had indicated on our reservation that we were celebrating (our honeymoon and then 4 years later our anniversary) and that was the reason for the upgrade. It was a great surprise both times!:thumbsup:

I know a couple on their honeymoon at Poly that was upgraded from a garden view to Concierge/Club level accomodations.

I don't see anything wrong with asking for an upgrade and hoping you get lucky. They can always say no.

cinderellagrl
04-15-2009, 10:56 PM
My family and I have been upgraded many times... never have we asked, although we have found the trick!

we just explain how much we love disney, how we have been coming for years, discuss an upcoming birthday, or talk about how great the cast members treated us on the last trip.. basically we just discuss our LOVE of disney...

It seems that of all the times we have been upgraded our cast member has shared this same love, and decided to spread some of the key word.. MAGIC, around!

Dsnygirl
04-16-2009, 08:25 AM
Thank you for your replys! I won't be asking for one because I know i'll love our resort!:thumbsup:
I'm glad I have a better understanding for what it's all about!:blush:

:) Personally, I think your question was just fine, esp. since you'd read about it happening to someone else in another thread. Not sure how often resort upgrades happen, although I, too, have read about it being offered to someone as they start to check in. I also think it's been related to a special event being celebrated, which was probably noted in their reservation by their travel agent and seen/responded to by a kind CM.

As far as an upgrade within your resort, I certainly think it'd be okay to ask if one was available, offer to pay the difference and see what happens... you might just get lucky! :thumbsup:

Lastly, kudos for you to being so kind in your responses to some of the more heated posts you've received... don't let it deter you from posting and asking questions in the future!! Most of us who've been here awhile have gotten flamed for a question or two, and I think your ability to move right past the comments that misunderstood you will keep you here for years to come!! Keep those questions coming! :D

mrsgaribaldi
04-16-2009, 08:46 AM
I think sometimes words come across harsher than they are actually meant. :wave:
That being said, we never asked but we got one once at WL. I myself and DH would never feel comfortable asking but we are she people:blush: I'm sure it could be done in such a way to come off friendly, joking whatever but DH and I would be :blush:
Good luck if you ask for it. :thumbsup:

blissventure
04-16-2009, 10:03 AM
I have been upgraded other places than Disney, but I would never ask. Personally, I think that is a quick way to more likely not get an upgrade. If I really want an upgrade, I pay for it.

About airlines---the days of "freebie" upgrades are pretty much gone. I would hate for infrequent flyers to get the wrong idea from this thread. Air travel and the airlines in general aren't what they used to be.

TheVBs
04-16-2009, 11:06 AM
I don't know about that. My sister and I flew to NYC at the beginning of the year and we were upgraded to first class! I've never had that happen before, and I used to fly much more frequently. It was a wonderful, and totally unexpected surprise.

MNNHFLTX
04-16-2009, 02:32 PM
There's no harm in asking for an upgrade, especially if you are polite and respectful of the CM's response. :thumbsup:

Disney Doll
04-16-2009, 03:10 PM
I have been upgraded other places than Disney, but I would never ask. Personally, I think that is a quick way to more likely not get an upgrade. If I really want an upgrade, I pay for it.

I agree. If I were the CM I would want to surprise an unsuspecting family because it just seems more magical that way.

Lizzie
04-16-2009, 04:48 PM
We booked All Star Music last time. Payed for preferred and requested a king size bed. We were travellling with our twin girls who at the time were both under 2 and were sleeping in pack n plays. We checked in around 9 am. The cast member said their was a room available at the time but it was two beds. But we were concerned about space with the two pack n plays so asked if we could wait for a king if there was going to be one available.

The manager must have heard our conversation and asked us if he could upgrade us to a family suite. What a blessing it was. We had space for the pack n plays and still room to get around.

We had tried to originally book a suite but you couldn't book a suite and get free dinning not sure if it is still set up that way.

tinkerddeedee
04-17-2009, 10:10 AM
:) Personally, I think your question was just fine, esp. since you'd read about it happening to someone else in another thread. Not sure how often resort upgrades happen, although I, too, have read about it being offered to someone as they start to check in. I also think it's been related to a special event being celebrated, which was probably noted in their reservation by their travel agent and seen/responded to by a kind CM.

As far as an upgrade within your resort, I certainly think it'd be okay to ask if one was available, offer to pay the difference and see what happens... you might just get lucky! :thumbsup:

Lastly, kudos for you to being so kind in your responses to some of the more heated posts you've received... don't let it deter you from posting and asking questions in the future!! Most of us who've been here awhile have gotten flamed for a question or two, and I think your ability to move right past the comments that misunderstood you will keep you here for years to come!! Keep those questions coming! :D

Well thank you, that was very kind of you to say! And I do believe "kindness counts", above all!!!!!
And how do you LOVE our weather lateley? (I'm in Cortland:))

tinkerddeedee
04-17-2009, 10:13 AM
I agree. If I were the CM I would want to surprise an unsuspecting family because it just seems more magical that way.

I can appreciate that, and would LOVE to be able to be a CM and do that for people ;)

grumpydude
05-17-2009, 05:25 PM
Asking for an upgrade to a better view is a maybe (but tacky IMO)... asking for an upgrade to a different resort is pretty ridiculous.

Seriously, if you are dreaming of deluxe, start saving those pennies and go the way the rest of us do - by paying for it.

:soapbox:

Maleficent's Dad
05-17-2009, 07:56 PM
We're DVC, so keep that in mind. (Although in the past few years, we've had a few stays on AP rates, not DVC!)
We never ask for an upgrade.
In the past year, we've been given a DVC upgrade twice!

DW is convinced that it's because we visit so often. She thinks that because we always respond to surveys, etc., they "like us."

My opinion is that it was just dumb luck!